• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

DatDude

Banned
iiiiiiieeeeee

MRVwIiG.jpg

An don't skip the
credits (there is a big narrative piece after the credits are done rolling)

void666

Banned
Sounds like you simply wanted this to be Bioshock 2.0

I mean, don't get me wrong, it does retain alot of the "Bioshock/System franchise elements"

But at the same time, and this is coming from someone who had similar sentiments to you, STOP comparing this to bioshock.

Honestly, that's what I did and just was not fun for me. Play this game as if it was a completely new ip, and just leave Rapture, Big Daddies (handy men were never meant to be the new big daddies. they were just meant to be a harder enemy variation), Little Sisters, and every of the such in the back of your brain and just enjoy Columbia and Infinite for what it's trying to do, rather than what you WANT it to do.

Just saying, it helped me alot when I wasn't really "feeling" this game early on.

Also, btw there's more exploration/ quiet peaceful moments in Inifinite. Just as much as Bioshock. So don't fret ;)

I know you're right. And i'll try to do the same. But it's hard letting rapture go.

Well, you're free to disagree. Combat in Bioshock was a lot more tactical, you could plan shit, make traps and utilize the environment. Infinite has a couple of water and oil puddles. All you can do outside of those is shoot at things. And the weapons suck compared to Bioshock. There's no custom ammo and the upgrades are kinda meh and the upgrades don't change the look of the guns.

It's been a few years, why?
Nostalgia is a powerful drug.

So yeah, saw my friend try to run this on his gtx 260 on medium and damn it's that a no go.

Anyone with a below average rig just get it for the consoles, or at least 360. It runs fine, no tears and barely any frame drops.

Magnus

What's everyone's favorite vigor so far? Devil's Kiss does work.

Good ol' reliable Shock Jock. You get more uses out of it than practically any other vigour with a full bar. Shock trap is amazingly useful against large packs of enemies later on.

I'll definitely experiment with all the others much more on a replay next week.

GavinGT

Banned
The only part of Bioshock's combat I miss is setting trap bolts.

Then again, every Big Daddy fight for me boiled down to setting up a dozen trap bolts, so maybe that's for the best.

Berto

I'll start my first playthrough tonight! What do you guys recommend, Normal or 1999 Mode? What are the main differences?

FartOfWar

Banned
What's everyone's favorite vigor so far? Devil's Kiss does work.

I always combo them (e.g. Bronco then Charge on each suspended target; Set Shock Jockey trap and undertow a group into it; Shock Jockey on a Patriot then Possession - which gives him chain lightning; crows then devils kiss for flaming birds; Bronco a group with a Patriot possessed and hell juggle all of them; etc)

ironcreed

Banned
Yeah, there are some low resolution textures in areas, but the game is still gorgeous and is running great so far on PS3. Certainly better than the first one.

Anyway, no combat yet and I am already mesmerized. Then again, atmosphere is of tremendous importance to me and this game is overflowing with it. Like some ethereal Norman Rockwell painting come to life in the sky and is inhabited by this strange cult of religious, patriotic zealots.

DatDude

Banned
After playing further I think my opinion on the game could best be summed up in the word "uninspired", the story, the gameplay, the design, the execution, all of them are just, well uninspired.

point me another game that's as "uninspired" as this. I dare you.

Magnus

I always combo them (e.g. Bronco then Charge on each suspended target; Set Shock Jockey trap and undertow a group into it; Shock Jockey on a Patriot then Possession - which gives him chain lightning; crows then devils kiss for flaming birds; etc)

Oh my. You can grant a Patriot (or other enemy) chain lightning by shocking them first? Jesus. Amazing.

I need to try out electric/flaming birds when I get home.

Actually, I think Possession is still my favorite. Watching what happens when Possession wears off on an enemy is usually hilarious.

Tacitus_

Your call but I tend to agree that you haven't played bio 1 in a while. Sounds like you weren't interested in using Vigors right?

I was, until I found out that they were mostly useless outside of Bronco. The possession one you get first had its occasional uses but it didn't last anywhere near long enough to be of use when you'd really need it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I seem to have so much more fun in this game when I'm not shooting. I'm truly taken aback by how completely beautiful Columbia is and how much fun it is just to walk around. I wasn't expecting to be this wowed. I wasn't by Rapture.

As soon as the guns come out, I feel kind of overwhelmed. Loud is how I would describe things.

I'm still trying to figure out which control scheme I want. 1 or 2...

Magnus

I was, until I found out that they were mostly useless outside of Bronco. The possession one you get first had its occasional uses but it didn't last anywhere near long enough to be of use when you'd really need it.

It may be boring, but you can't call Shock Jockey useless! A stun is so valuable!

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Got my Copy from UPS

Now if the PSN store would fucking update, so I can Pre-Order the season pass, I can get that bonus!

Start my Ascension into Columbia

FartOfWar

Banned
Oh my. You can grant a Patriot (or other enemy) chain lightning by shocking them first? Jesus. Amazing.

I need to try out electric/flaming birds when I get home.

Actually, I think Possession is still my favorite. Watching what happens when Possession wears off on an enemy is usually hilarious.

Yeah experiment with this stuff. : ) No way around it, expressive players are always gonna find more satisfaction in fights than those who only ever try one thing and continue with that tactic across the game. we can nudge and nudge those players to try changing up their approach but ultimately some of it is the more you give the more you get.

antitrop

I always combo them (e.g. Bronco then Charge on each suspended target; Set Shock Jockey trap and undertow a group into it; Shock Jockey on a Patriot then Possession - which gives him chain lightning; crows then devils kiss for flaming birds; Bronco a group with a Patriot possessed and hell juggle all of them; etc)

Anyone who says the combat in this game isn't deep and varied doesn't experiment enough. Sure you can play through the entire game shooting everything with a Carbine from ADS, but that's not the BEST way to play it.

Hex

Banned
I preordered from Amazon and still haven't received any of the pre-order bonuses (kindle book or Industrial Revolution). Can anyone confirm/deny these went out earlier than today? If so, what would be my best course of action? Call Amazon?

I got my email the day I preordered.
Had my Industrial Revolution code in it, had to contact them about the ebook and they had to manually add the credit to my account to buy it.

I don't think I've used Vigors as a trap or mine successfully yet. How long do you hold LT? Do you aim at the floor? It always seems to just get launched as a regular shot.

:(

Grief.exe

So if we upgrade the base gun at a station, will that also upgrade the Vox version?

Upgrading the Machine Gun with more ammo/damage will reflect on the Repeater?

It may be boring, but you can't call Shock Jockey useless! A stun is so valuable!

Shock Jockey, the Charge, and Possession are probably my most used vigors.

The Charge is just fun, but Possession and shock Jockey are probably some of the most useful.

I don't think I've used Vigors as a trap or mine successfully yet. How long do you hold LT? Do you aim at the floor? It always seems to just get launched as a regular shot.

:(

Your problem probably is you aren't holding Right Click ;)

Anyone who says the combat in this game isn't deep and varied doesn't experiment enough. Sure you can play through the entire game shooting every with a Carbine from ADS, but that's not the BEST way to play it.

One problem is running out of Salt a lot.

(Never thought I'd use that sentence talking about a video game.)

Tacitus_

But Bronco was so much more potent for the amount of salt spent. It costs less, hit multiple targets and stunned them for a large amount of time. You could also use it to knock people off if you positioned yourself well.

FartOfWar

Banned

Did you upgrade it? On standard enemies it never wears off. It forces them to suicide after they've fought on your behalf for a while. And while it wont force a large enemy to suicide, its pretty useful having patriots and firemen fighting alongside you. Also very surprised to hear Vigors like undertow, which is capable of one-shot killing multiple foes at once by pushing them off the world or pulling them into traps is considered useless.

But Bronco was so much more potent for the amount of salt spent. It costs less, hit multiple targets and stunned them for a large amount of time. You could also use it to knock people off if you positioned yourself well.

But shock jock jumps to the next target when you kill one. Makes clearing a room full of enemies dead simple.

FartOfWar

Banned
So if we upgrade the base gun at a station, will that also upgrade the Vox version?

Upgrading the Machine Gun with more ammo/damage will reflect on the Repeater?

Shock Jockey, the Charge, and Possession are probably my most used vigors.

The Charge is just fun, but Possession and shock Jockey are probably some of the most useful.

Your problem probably is you aren't holding Right Click ;)

Def try charging broncoed enemies then : )

Tacitus_

Did you upgrade it? On standard enemies it never wears off. It forces them to suicide after they've fought on your behalf for a while. And while it wont force a large enemy to suicide, its pretty useful having patriots and firemen fighting alongside you. Also very surprised to hear Vigors like undertow, which is capable of one-shot killing multiple foes at once by pushing them off the world or pulling them into traps is considered useless.

I meant the Patriots, since that's basically where I wanted to use it but it lasts for maybe 5 seconds. It was fine on turrets and normal enemies. I upgraded it for the cost reduction.
I used Bronco instead of Undertow to push enemies since it was far more versatile and cheaper in salt.

Grief.exe

Anyone who says the combat in this game isn't deep and varied doesn't experiment enough. Sure you can play through the entire game shooting everything with a Carbine from ADS, but that's not the BEST way to play it.

ADS is the worst way to use a carbine though.

Just rush in and its a headshot machine!

Favorite gun in the game.

Def try charging broncoed enemies then : )

Trying right now.

hiverbon

Neo Member
I'd be curious to hear people's thoughts on Elizabeth. Some things I observed after an hour or so with her:

- The experience of wandering around with her feels a lot like the game wanting me to see everything she does. This is by no means a bad wish but I feel its too overt. She twitches if I twitch, makes awkward movements when I do, just generally moves around a bit awkwardly if you're doing anything other than moving directly to an objective/interest point.

- She teleports. A lot. It's very noticeable, even a few times popped right in front of me. The sound gives it away every time, I hear her footsteps in the distance, then there she is by my side as I turn. Breaks the illusion a lot. I realise she has to keep up, but I'd rather she had a faster sprint to do so, and would much prefer waiting a few seconds for her to catch up than have her constantly by my side.

- She isn't reactive to me the way I expected. Her ability to interact with the world is impressive, but she doesn't react to things I do. Would she not care that I'm stealing coins from a child? Is it not weird when I bunny hop around the carousel she thinks it'd be funny to see me on? I expected something akin to the Bastion narrator in terms of reacting to the player's fringe actions in surprising ways, but I get very little feedback from her when I do things. The first time combat broke out after the scripted stuff near the start, she didn't even say a word about it, just looked at me.

- Why is she always throwing money at me. ALWAYS WITH THE COINS

This may be uncanny valley stuff because such a good job has been done with her voice acting and animation, and also may be the hype of her pre-release trailers/behind the scenes stuff putting her on an AI pedestal, but she's underwhelmed me thus far.

Zeliard

Yeah experiment with this stuff. : ) No way around it, expressive players are always gonna find more satisfaction in fights than those who only ever try one thing and continue with that tactic across the game. we can nudge and nudge those players to try changing up their approach but ultimately some of it is the more you give the more you get.

Couldn't agree more with this. It's the reason I enjoyed Dishonored when so many others were complaining about Blink being all you ever need to use. Change things up, have fun with it. I try to approach combat encounters in these games in a different way each time, as well as just winging it.

Did you upgrade it? On standard enemies it never wears off. It forces them to suicide after they've fought on your behalf for a while.

This is pretty hilarious to watch, too.

First time I saw it happen was amazing. I had momentarily forgotten about him, and I hear this noise and I turn around and
the fucking dude is bashing his own head in with a baseball bat

FartOfWar

Banned

Vigor upgrades reduce salt consumption per Vigor, In the end, it doesn't matter its not as if your playthrough was wrong or I want to tell you how to play. Playstyle-wise, I'm very expressive though and like to at least suggest to other players some of the possibilities they might experiment with.

S1kkZ

what kind of dlc can we expect for this? story stuff (minervas den), some arena battle stuff (i hope not) or new weapons/vigors?

Top Bottom