• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Derrick01

Banned
Wait, is 1999 mode really just a typical hardcore mode? Bleh, I was expecting something else considering all the hype for this one mode.

Thanks, Obama FartofWar.

My rule still stands. Can't make the kind of stuff we're looking for in a game designed to be something else. It requires a totally different game designed at the core from the very start.

leng jai

This is another example of art direction being infinitely more important than pure pixels provided the artists have decent enough tech to work with. It's a shame the audio is merely okay otherwise this would have been off the charts in terms of presentation.

Where can I buy the Soundtrack for this masterpiece?

I need to listen to God Only Knows 400 times on repeat.

It's been going through my head all day long.

Odrion

Banned
Nonsense. Very few games have such wide open and varied arenas these days. So much use of verticality and mobility - I wish level design like this was "ordinary", so that it would be in more games.
Modern games aren't as small as you think and this game isn't as large as you say it is.

Riposte

Playing on Hard. Just walked into a house which has a statue of Booth. It has been pretty boring so far. Combat in particular, though I wouldn't call it bad. Then again, there isn't much else but combat and picking up coins and listening.

The theme is neat and maybe a little unique, but I'm already getting tired of it. I'm hoping the rest of the game doesn't think I find the racism stuff as interesting as it assumes it does now.

Maybe it gets better since I'm probably just as the start.

Act like people? Not like Maniquins. At the very least, exit stage, go into a house, or create an animation loop that has some semblance of life to it. It is something that a lot of games do better nowdays. But much of the time they literally say two sentences and then stand their like stone statues afterwards for ever and ever. Some of the characters have animation loops like the kids playing in the fire hydrant, etc. But that just draws more attention to all the ones that do not. Maybe it's a hardware limitation issue, though. Anyway, it wasn't my major point, just an observation of something that contributes to the problem.

This is why whenever someone says a game feels like "a living, breathing world" most of the time they're talking out of their ass. Maybe in western RPGs (Elder Scrolls, Fable, Witcher) do NPCs tend to have a schedule of behaviors that feels like something close to that, but not in most games where this claim is made.

Dr Dogg

Well the Skyhook is the best thing since sliced bread. Not only does it help with getting around a lot more slick it's deadly mashed into some poor unsuspecting foes head or chest. Even more fun now that I've found a dapper hat that now
sets guys alight
when bashed with it.

Just acquired the Murder of Crows Vigor. Oh is that fun.

Loving some of the musical cues as well. Has a great Hitchcock type vibe with those screeching violin notes.

FINALBOSS

Banned
it just occurred to me, and I'm sure others may have noted it before, that Rapture is a far better name for what Columbia is than the actual Rapture.

All religious cult shit and you get 'carried up' to Columbia in the sky, and it's a super idealized version of the world... heaven, basically.

Well yeah.

They literally say welcome to heaven when you first get shot up :X

Zeliard

People are laughably off-base with their 1999 mode complaints. 3 headshots to kill a guard? Just no.

The game's a shooter. If you are good at shooters, i.e. you have good aim and tactical awareness, play on 1999 mode. If you aren't very adept at shooters, then don't.

Alright, I think I'm satisfied with the gunplay, they have a nice powerful feel to them and a good amount of recoil. Only like 2 hours in and it's an interesting and well crafted city built here.

J-Man

I think I've hit a bug. Near the start of the game when I face the (very early game)
crow man
he doesn't drop the
murder of crows
vigor, even though my character remarks that he did. Does he normally drop a vigor? If so, is there another way to get it later on? I'm already past that part.

I also had this problem (on PS3), and I hope to see a bottle of it show up soon (based on the response).

Not to far in, but so far the game is really impressing me. Did not watch much pre release coverage except for the fake documentary stuff (which was awesome). Loved hearing
God Only Knows
in the opening.

I like how you'll be in the middle of a crowded room stealing everything, then from the other side of the room Elizabeth shouts out that she's got money for you to catch.

zam

Just finished the game. Wow. Feel like a need to just sit down and mull it all over.

Artstyle and graphics are amazing. The voice actress for Elizabeth (Courtnee Draper) was top notch in this, she needs to be in more games. The music is wonderfuk, from the moment i heard that barbershop quartet I was in love. Please release a soundtrack with all the songs that appear in game, and the CREDITS SPOILERS
duet with Troy and Courtnee that played towards the end of the credits
. Gameplay was a freaking blast. Loved messing around with different vigors and various combinations, zipping around on skylines jumping in and out of fights. Seriously, there should've been more fights with skylines. Especially loved messing around with Bronco, Charge, and Undertow. Charge felt exactly like playing a Vanguard in Mass Effect, especially with the explosive and invulnerability upgrade, and Undertow reminded me of the whip in Bulletstorm.

Great game Shawn and everyone else at Irrational.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I never go out on a limb but after 3~ hours I have to say, the hype has been right. The real deal so far. I'm super impressed and intrigued by what is unfolding story wise.

dat opening area

my god, i've only played 2 hours but what a game!

dripping with atmosphere. was worried it wouldn't match Bioshock 1 in that department but its equalled it easily.

Can't agree more. For me, it easily surpassed the opening of Bioshock 1. I spent all of my two hours of playtime last night slowly exploring everything and approaching every NPC. I haven't even gotten to Elizabeth yet.

The decent into Rapture is one of the most memorable moments for me in a game this gen, but it felt like it went by too quickly and a lot of the game didn't recapture the magic of those opening moments.

Infinite has easily allayed any concerns I might have had going in.

I don't really see the point of it.

It keeps from accidentally going on the path I'm actually supposed to go right away. I think it helps exploration instead of hindering it. You see where the arrow is going and then you can take your time taking a look at everywhere it doesn't go. Without the arrow I'm sure I would have gone on the correct path without fulling exploring every nook at least once or twice and that would have sucked.

Riposte

Right now the only thing I like about the game is that weird couple that keeps showing up. They are pretty charming. I'm assuming they play a big part.

SRTtoZ

Broke my Bose headphones that ive been using for years. Walked away from my laptop and they were still attached and ripped the jack out of the socket and ever since the right ear is all crackley. Just ordered a new pair on Amazon, so I cant play until tomorrow.

:(

ironcreed

Banned
Yeah, I can already say it surpasses the first Bioshock for me based on atmosphere, presentation, addition of the Skyhook to gameplay and just overall design. Bioshock is amazing, but this is wowing me even more than the first one did back '07. That is saying something.

Odrion

Banned
People are laughably off-base with their 1999 mode complaints. 3 headshots to kill a guard? Just no.

The game's a shooter. If you are good at shooters, i.e. you have good aim and tactical awareness, play on 1999 mode. If you aren't very adept at shooters, then don't.
The issue is that it's wildly unbalanced. Doom's "Ultra-Violent" mode is a good example of how ramping up the difficulty can bring out certain mechanics and helps emphasizes a smart play style. This is just whacked out stupid, it swings back and forth between "easy" and "smash your head on a wall until the stars align and the AI behaves a certain way".

noffles

Banned
This game has struck a terrible chord in my head. I'm sitting here right now wondering how the hell any other game will ever deliver like Infinite did. The narrative, the characters, the world, the horrific yet beautifully executed religious treatment of American history, etc.

As a Literature student, I'm kind of awestruck by it. As a gamer, I'm pissed that it's going to be another 5 and a bit years until Ken Levine makes another game.

I am broken.

Amir0x

Banned
Just like I think Rapture is a perfect name for Columbia, another observation (maybe Ken already confirmed it but):

Does anyone else think Mormons were the inspiration for the religion in this game? There are pretty obvious similarities. The first and most obvious is that Mormonism is a true 'American' religion, especially cloaked in Nativism early on, and Columbia is a nativist dream world intertwined with American mythology. And second is the visual comparisons... the white robes and cloaks worn by cultist, ESPECIALLY by the female cultists (check the water room at the very start of the game) is extremely reminiscent of the clothing Mormons must wear to their secret ceremonies.

I'm curious as to what ex-Mormons and current Mormons think about the religion in this game, and if I'm off the mark or not.

This game is really fantastic. I don't think the combat is quite as improved as everyone else was saying, but everything else is easily superior to Bioshock (although, I doubt anything can recapture my exploration imagination the way Rapture did. That was a truly one time event being the location was so unique).

bidguy

Banned
Can anyone shed some light onto 1999 mode ?
Currently playing on this mode and im 4 hours or so into the game. So far the only things I noticed are these :

-Shield goes down very very fast
-Enemies are bulletsponges, Handymen are nearly indestructible and kill you with 2 hits.
-Money is pretty scarce
-You lose a buttload of it when you die (don't know how that worked on other modes)

What happens if i run out of money ?

noffles

Banned
Just like I think Rapture is a perfect name for Columbia, another observation (maybe Ken already confirmed it but):

Does anyone else think Mormons were the inspiration for the religion in this game? There are pretty obvious similarities. The first and most obvious is that Mormonism is a true 'American' religion, especially cloaked in Nativism early on, and Columbia is a nativist dream world intertwined with American mythology. And second is the visual comparisons... the white robes and cloaks worn by cultist, ESPECIALLY by the female cultists (check the water room at the very start of the game) is extremely reminiscent of the clothing Mormons must wear to their secret ceremonies.

Mormons actually are the inspiration. Ken confirmed it.

Well observed.

Amir0x

Banned
Mormons actually are the inspiration. Ken confirmed it.

Well observed.

Very interesting. Do you have the video or the interview where he confirms it? Curious to see his expanded thoughts on the subject. I've been on a most blackout for this game so haven't really read interviews and whatnot...

noffles

Banned
Very interesting. Do you have the video or the interview where he confirms it? Curious to see his expanded thoughts on the subject. I've been on a most blackout for this game so haven't really read interviews and whatnot...

I can't remember, honestly; it was months ago and I only saw it in thumbnail form. I've been on a blackout too, but definitely know I saw something about it.

Amir0x

Banned
I can't remember, honestly; it was months ago and I only saw it in thumbnail form. I've been on a blackout too, but definitely know I saw something about it.

haha, it's OK we're blackout bros. Game has been so much more fascinating as I discover all the shit I haven't seen. Typically for games I already seen 1/3 of all the areas through trailers and hands on videos and shit :p

I am playing this game slower than I've ever played a game before. I was all reading the Bible texture and the scriptures that it was opened to to try to see if there was any specific meaning to it... the one opened under the Seed mural in the very beginning is open to St. John Chapter 2, 3 and 4. Very classic scriptures there; even touches on Jesus as prophet.

Zeliard

The issue is that it's wildly unbalanced. Doom's "Ultra-Violent" mode is a good example of how ramping up the difficulty can bring out certain mechanics and helps emphasizes smart playing. This is just whacked out stupid, it swings back and forth between "easy" and "smash your head on a wall until the stars align and the AI behaves a certain way".

I've yet to really run into a wall. What there's no doubt about with 1999 mode is that the death penalty in particular is very harsh, but that's also the primary reason I'm playing it. The buffs to enemy health I could do without, but headshots tend to do massive damage (if you've had the enemy health bars on it's easily noticeable).

You can absolutely fuck yourself if you die too often, but so long as you play carefully (crowd control is huge), it's manageable. Scouring for money becomes critical and every piece of health and salt item around you feels heaven-sent.

Some people may not want that sort of thing for their first playthrough, which is understandable, but I find it enjoyable and rewarding. And I find I can still do a lot of experimenting.

Odrion

Banned
The two religions are so similar The Church of Mormon could sue 2K Games for copyright infringement. It's pretty obvious that they based the religion off of Mormonism.

Top Bottom