• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Hixx

Late game, quite large spoilers:
this phantom is really getting on my nerves. There's not much more that annoys me in gaming than a huge bullet sponge which is accompanied by a dozen minions. It's such a horrible boss/mini boss design - it's not even difficult, just incredibly tedious. And to do the same fucking fight 3 times? Come on. This section has felt like uber gameplay padding, there's been no need for it.

Love the game overall but this section is really frustrating. I know there's a lot of important story being delivered during this but it's not really offsetting the tedium.

Raptor

Fucking returning this piece of overrated trash right now.

Last time I listen to NeoGAF about anything. If Ken Levine can't even be assed to spellcheck his boxart, I cannot be assed to buy his game.

pl4Jm.gif

Just like I think Rapture is a perfect name for Columbia, another observation (maybe Ken already confirmed it but):

Does anyone else think Mormons were the inspiration for the religion in this game? There are pretty obvious similarities. The first and most obvious is that Mormonism is a true 'American' religion, especially cloaked in Nativism early on, and Columbia is a nativist dream world intertwined with American mythology. And second is the visual comparisons... the white robes and cloaks worn by cultist, ESPECIALLY by the female cultists (check the water room at the very start of the game) is extremely reminiscent of the clothing Mormons must wear to their secret ceremonies.

I'm curious as to what ex-Mormons and current Mormons think about the religion in this game, and if I'm off the mark or not.

This game is really fantastic. I don't think the combat is quite as improved as everyone else was saying, but everything else is easily superior to Bioshock (although, I doubt anything can recapture my exploration imagination the way Rapture did. That was a truly one time event being the location was so unique).

Actually, as a kind of interesting aside to this concept: There was such anti-Mormon sentiment in the US before the Civil War that there were some musings by some Democratic members of congress (I believe, maybe I'm misremembering) towards starting a Mormon War to distract the nation from the issue of slavery.

I'm really taking my time. It took me five hours just to get to Elizabeth. And she's only been around 10 minutes and I already love the character. She just adds a whole new layer to an already great game. I was just starting to get into the sky rail thrills, after already being blown away by the opening and then Columbia and the art direction and sound design and music. There's just so much to appreciate here.

I confess I have no idea what's really going on yet, what all the little reality-bending clues they keep throwing in mean. But it's great because I'm genuinely interested in finding out where this is all going.

bogg

I don't agree about the pacing complaints. Maybe because
that's when the game starts getting really crazy
, but it felt fine to me.

Yerolo

Is anyone else playing with the Borderlands-style floating damage numbers turned on ?

Theres just something satisfying about seeing numbers flying off the enemies while they are taking damage. Had that setting turned on from the start :)

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Anyone got Pre-Order goodies for the PS3?

I have an extra Industrial Revolution Pack to trade (Gets you 500 Eagles, 5 Lock-picks, Gear: Handyman Nemesis, Gear: Sugar Rush, Gear: Fleet Feet)

I have the Best Buy Pre-Order Sniper Rifle upgrade (Comstock's Bird's Eye), anyone want this and willing to trade for the other store Pre-Order Bonus?

Figured I'd let Bioshock 1 install till I can play at 7:30. It has only reached 25% in over a half hour and there is no way to stop it. Ugh

aravuus

Is anyone else playing with the Borderlands-style floating damage numbers turned on ?

Theres just something satisfying about seeing numbers flying off the enemies while they are taking damage. Had that setting turned on from the start :)

I did. I really liked them, as you said, somehow very satisfying.

I know I'm not the only one who noticed this, but from a cinematic standpoint the game is amazing.

Especially (early game spoilers)
your vantage point on Battleship Island when the clouds clear and the destroyed monument is made to resemble "Winged Victory."

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
So I used my 4 infusion bottles from the Season Pass preorder. I spread them out pretty evenly. Is it possible to max Booker's health, shield, and salt capacity in a single playthrough?

Magnus

Wow. That fucking ending. That was...brave of Irrational.

Kudos to the team.

To the spoiler thread. Jesus Christ.

God I can't wait to replay this now.

Played for about 30 minutes. Wow, incredible so far, and I haven't even shot anything other than an air rifle! Runs great on my PC, and holy shit is it refreshing to see a game with blue skies and a color pallete with something other than browns and greys!

Andrew.

Banned
Just wanted to see if anyone posted that Nico Vega's "beast" Infinite video trailer is played at the title screen if you just let it sit

Best game ever by the way.

Amir0x

Banned
There's American "mythology"?

Oh yes. There is a deification of the Founding Fathers that exists among some groups in this country that amounts to a mythologizing of America's early history. The tea party groups we see, walking around with their copies of the Constitution and claiming that the Founding fathers wanted this or that (almost all of it untrue), the consistent accounting by American Presidents that we are some unique guiding light in the world, that "shining city on a hill", it's all part of a consistent effort to create a certain sense of grandeur to this countries founding that never really existed.

Why do you think that whenever a politician wants to cloak their ideals behind authority they quote a founding father? They think this makes it right, because apparently the Founding Fathers had some special God-given insight that nobody else has. If you criticize the Founding Fathers in this country, you're often labeled "Anti-American".

Hell, the idea of Manifest Destiny that persisted throughout the 19th century... this idea that America is 'destined' to create a new heaven on the continent, a idealized Utopia of high minded values and freedom loving individuals.

"Modern Mythology" might not immediately seem like myths the way we typically think of it like Norse Gods or something, but they still retain categorization.

Yerolo

I bought the season pass and when I fired up the game next it said there were various items (gear) available to use now

I forgot to check the gear menu though....is there a way of distinguishing the DLC gear from the stuff u already had ? I cant remember what stuff it added in anymore

Yoritomo

Just like I think Rapture is a perfect name for Columbia, another observation (maybe Ken already confirmed it but):

Does anyone else think Mormons were the inspiration for the religion in this game? There are pretty obvious similarities. The first and most obvious is that Mormonism is a true 'American' religion, especially cloaked in Nativism early on, and Columbia is a nativist dream world intertwined with American mythology. And second is the visual comparisons... the white robes and cloaks worn by cultist, ESPECIALLY by the female cultists (check the water room at the very start of the game) is extremely reminiscent of the clothing Mormons must wear to their secret ceremonies.

I'm curious as to what ex-Mormons and current Mormons think about the religion in this game, and if I'm off the mark or not.

This game is really fantastic. I don't think the combat is quite as improved as everyone else was saying, but everything else is easily superior to Bioshock (although, I doubt anything can recapture my exploration imagination the way Rapture did. That was a truly one time event being the location was so unique).

Some points as a secular/cultural/ mormon who used to believe quite strongly.

They really nail the Cleon Skousen / Ezra Taft Benson strain of mormonism that still sees influence in the modern church. There's large crossover with the John Birch Society where Glen Beck gets some of his crazy.

Comstock and his militant views has more in common with someone like Brigham Young than the actual founder Joseph Smith, that might just be the beard talking.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Just got to
Soldier's Field
and I have to say this game has surprised me in more ways than I thought. First off it's a beautiful game and the opening sequence is definitely one of the best I've seen in a long time. Then the blatant racism in the game lol. Now I understand that this game is around the turn of century so this sort of thing was common in 1910s America but it kinda hit home hearing about blacks especially from Fitz recording early in the game. That's why the
scene where you walk in to hear the black guy on the floor talking about some intelligent stuff then talking like Sambo when he sees you and Elizabeth walk in
made me burst out laughing.

Ohwiseone

Went in to spend 45.. Ended up spending over. 70 since I bought the season pass. (I want moat bioshock.

Managed to play about 5 minutes of it. Paused right at the very start.

I am so exited to get home and play a bit. The main menu is awesome. I am going hard and then doing

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Um I seem to be missing the 5 lockpicks. Do those come in at a different point in the game? I'm already passed the Blue Ribbon.

Oh yes. There is a deification of the Founding Fathers that exists among some groups in this country that amounts to a mythologizing of America's early history. The tea party groups we see, walking around with their copies of the Constitution and claiming that the Founding fathers wanted this or that (almost all of it untrue), the consistent accounting by American Presidents that we are some unique guiding light in the world, that "shining city on a hill", it's all part of a consistent effort to create a certain sense of grandeur to this countries founding that never really existed.

Why do you think that whenever a politician wants to cloak their ideals behind authority they quote a founding father? They think this makes it right, because apparently the Founding Fathers had some special God-given insight that nobody else has. If you criticize the Founding Fathers in this country, you're often labeled "Anti-American".

Hell, the idea of Manifest Destiny that persisted throughout the 19th century... this idea that America is 'destined' to create a new heaven on the continent, a idealized Utopia of high minded values and freedom loving individuals.

"Modern Mythology" might not immediately seem like myths the way we typically think of it like Norse Gods or something, but they still retain categorization.

Are you telling me good old George didn't chop down his father's cherry tree and then admit it, saying "I cannot tell a lie." No, good sir, I shall not believe you. Kidding. But, yeah, that's probably a more literal example of American mythology than what you've rightfully pointed out.

GavinGT

Banned
i was so pist off i had to throw away my pistol for another weapon. why the fuck did they go that route

They made some concessions to give Elizabeth a more prominent role in combat.

So the reviews are almost nearly 10's across the board. What the hell do I make of that? Is this the Second Coming or another GTAIV situation?

I've beaten the game and I feel the reviews are justified. I can't wait to play it again and again.

munroe

i was so pist off i had to throw away my pistol for another weapon. why the fuck did they go that route

Don't throw away your pistol then...

Um I seem to be missing the 5 lockpicks. Do those come in at a different point in the game? I'm already passed the Blue Ribbon.

They appear when you can actually make use of them

Went in to spend 45.. Ended up spending over. 70 since I bought the season pass. (I want moat bioshock.

Managed to play about 5 minutes of it. Paused right as [/spoiler]light house was changing to red at the VERY start of the game
I am so exited to get home and play a bit. The main menu is awesome. I am going hard and then doing 1999 mode.
Lol nice spoiler, you got the tags the wrong way round

Uthred

I reall love the alternate versions of anachronistic songs that pop up in the game, stuff like Tainted Love and Fortunate Son

So the reviews are almost nearly 10's across the board. What the hell do I make of that? Is this the Second Coming or another GTAIV situation?

Its a solid 8 or 9 depending on personal preference, as always giving something a 10/10 is a nonsense score

Top Bottom