• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Man, the Carbine is that good, but upgrades are pretty scarce thus far. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the weapons don't change aesthetically with each respective upgrade now, do they? That's a bummer, if so. I loved that about the 'Shock games.

Anyway, I'm seeing no reason to discard the Carb and the Hand Cannon. Delicious.

FartOfWar

Banned
I've yet to really run into a wall. What there's no doubt about with 1999 mode is that the death penalty in particular is very harsh, but that's also the primary reason I'm playing it. The buffs to enemy health I could do without, but headshots tend to do massive damage (if you've had the enemy health bars on it's easily noticeable).

You can absolutely fuck yourself if you die too often, but so long as you play carefully (crowd control is huge), it's manageable. Scouring for money becomes critical and every piece of health and salt item around you feels heaven-sent.

Some people may not want that sort of thing for their first playthrough, which is understandable, but I find it enjoyable and rewarding. And I find I can still do a lot of experimenting.

You're a beast. I'd watch this live streamed.

Muffdraul

I can't remember, honestly; it was months ago and I only saw it in thumbnail form. I've been on a blackout too, but definitely know I saw something about it.

I remember him tweeting about how much he loved The Book of Mormon at some point. (i.e. the stage show, obviously) Other than that...

Amir0x

Banned
I only played the original BioShock can I jump right into this game or will I be missing shit and be confused?

Other than the name and a few visual nods, there is virtually nothing connecting the two games.

If you were jumping into Bioshock 2 I'd say you need to play Bioshock 1... but you definitely don't need to play either Bio 1 or 2 to play Infinite. Might as well be a new series :p

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
So when do we get all the stuff from the Industrial Revolution pack?

Haven't gotten the 500$ or the picklocks yet. Not sure when the abilities from it will pop in.

Same with the Early Bird infusion bottles. Mind you I'm still in the main opening of the game so I'm not far in at all.

Anyone confirm how close to the end I am? I am currently
looking for the three tears after lady comstock's Ghost appeared. I have 1 tear opened. I assume it's coming near the end as the story is kind of predictable a bit now, well not really but I think I know where it's going

Haven't gotten the 500$ or the picklocks yet. Not sure when the abilities from it will pop in.

Same with the Early Bird infusion bottles. Mind you I'm still in the main opening of the game so I'm not far in at all.

I got an email today with the code

FaintDeftone

I'm so happy the gun physics were fixed in this game. They feel MUCH better compared to Bioshock. The guns felt mushy and the feedback and audio from hitting enemies felt like I was shooting people made of memory foam. The guns feel much more powerful and enemies take hits more realistically. Whew.

bidguy

Banned
looking for the three tears after lady comstock's Ghost appeared. I have 1 tear opened. I assume it's coming near the end as the story is kind of predictable a bit now, well not really but I think I know where it's going

70 percent i think

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

Why do people always want to know when the game ends? isn't it fun to see for yourself?

and no, you can't predict that ending.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Caved and bought the game.

This game better change my life based on these impressions I'm reading.

Why do people always want to know when the game ends? isn't it fun to see for yourself?

Because when you enjoy a game so much, you don't want it to end, and you start to worry that it's going to end soon. It's stupid, but people (myself included) do it.

Played through the first hour or so......HOLY SHIT.

That has got be my favorite opening to any games I've ever played.

I was so wrapped up in the entire atmosphere it was unparalleled.

This game better change my life based on these impressions I'm reading.

It won't do that, but you just might enjoy it.

f0rk

Finished, it pays much better than I initially thought (especially when I maxed the FOV) but the last hour or two were really frustrating with lack of ammo and spongy special enemies on hard.

The ending is a mindfuck, need to read some other impressions.

Not sure about the 96 metacritic and the best game of the generation, it's better than BioShock sure but I think some are getting carried away.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the skyhook stuff is all super fun. I'm four hours in, and I've only really had one encounter with it and the tears. I'm hoping for many more scenarios like this soon.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I absolutely love the art style in this game. I just had to pre-order the Art book that comes out in 2 weeks. I have 2 weeks to beat this game now, but I don't think it'll take that long

Salsa

Game is better than Bioshock but mostly in every way you'd expect a game to get better after the developer gets more experience throughout the years: it's just a heck of a lot more fun to play.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yo I totally wanna get sick on this floating thing mentioned earlier. Someone figure out how it gets you ill because I wanna take it to the max and try it.

leng jai

The use of colour in this game is gorgeous- it's the perfect mix between realism and cartoony. The slightly washed out shade over everything combined with the wide palette make it looks infinitely better than something like The Witcher 2 (which was over saturated and garish for my taste).

Finished, it pays much better than I initially thought (especially when I maxed the FOV) but the last hour or two were really frustrating with lack of ammo and spongy special enemies on hard.

The ending is a mindfuck, need to read some other impressions.

Not sure about the 96 metacritic and the best game of the generation, it's better than BioShock sure but I think some are getting carried away.
I just finished the game, and I agree.
I think they unloaded to much story at the end, after you are basically done playing.

bogg

This game is incredible. Probably the best single player game I played this generation.
Finished the game about an hour ago, played pretty much nonstop since it unlocked on steam except for taking breaks to eat and sleep.
Unfortunately someone spoiled the ending for me, even though I did not know if it was true or not until I got to that part, shit bums me out.
I love how the name makes sense

I absolutely love the art style in this game. I just had to pre-order the Art book that comes out in 2 weeks. I have 2 weeks to beat this game now, but I don't think it'll take that long

Thanks for the heads up, I had no idea there was an art book coming up. I would be very interested in getting that at some point.

Just like I think Rapture is a perfect name for Columbia, another observation (maybe Ken already confirmed it but):

Does anyone else think Mormons were the inspiration for the religion in this game? There are pretty obvious similarities. The first and most obvious is that Mormonism is a true 'American' religion, especially cloaked in Nativism early on, and Columbia is a nativist dream world intertwined with American mythology. And second is the visual comparisons... the white robes and cloaks worn by cultist, ESPECIALLY by the female cultists (check the water room at the very start of the game) is extremely reminiscent of the clothing Mormons must wear to their secret ceremonies.

I'm curious as to what ex-Mormons and current Mormons think about the religion in this game, and if I'm off the mark or not.

This game is really fantastic. I don't think the combat is quite as improved as everyone else was saying, but everything else is easily superior to Bioshock (although, I doubt anything can recapture my exploration imagination the way Rapture did. That was a truly one time event being the location was so unique).

Yup.
Especially if you have read Under Banner of Heaven. It could arguably be any major Christian religion since a lot of the themes could be attributed to them as well but I am getting a very strong mormon vibe.

Mormons actually are the inspiration. Ken confirmed it.

Well observed.

Well there you go.

Dr Dogg

About an hour in. You enter a building called The Blue Ribbon and all your stuff in on the tables in there. I think it came up with a message saying you couldn't leave until you pick them up. Impossible to miss.

haha, it's OK we're blackout bros. Game has been so much more fascinating as I discover all the shit I haven't seen. Typically for games I already seen 1/3 of all the areas through trailers and hands on videos and shit :p

I am playing this game slower than I've ever played a game before. I was all reading the Bible texture and the scriptures that it was opened to to try to see if there was any specific meaning to it... the one opened under the Seed mural in the very beginning is open to St. John Chapter 2, 3 and 4. Very classic scriptures there; even touches on Jesus as prophet.

Here ya go: “Like [Mormonism founder] Joseph Smith. Why would Joseph Smith and Brigham Young have led the people away from New York State unless they felt that they couldn’t live there, and they needed to go and form a promised land” You don’t go form a promised land unless you have a problem with the land you’re in, whether it’s Egypt or upstate New York.”

He doesn't delve too deep into it, but it's clearly an inspiration.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Did I miss an area to acquire my fink industries pack?

I redeemed the key from the website on steam and it said it got processed but maybe I am not there yet?

anyone got any ideas?

I finished all 59 task :)

Sblargh

Banned
I was actually pretty shocked how bad Bioshock 2 looked when I went back to play it. Bioshock Infinite looks like it's from a different generation lol

Oh wow. You really reminded that they are actually on the same generation. Yeah, they are both PS3/Xbox360 games. Weird.

Yerolo

Oh wow. You really reminded that they are actually not the same generation. Yeah, they are both PS3/Xbox360 games. Weird.

Bioshock 1/2 and Infinite are in the same gen are they not ? (Just at opposite ends of it)

If I am wrong, what defines a generation ?

Vire

I was really really enjoying it up until Fink Industries, then I got thrown on fetch quest after fetch quest, I can definitely understand IGN's pacing complaint now about the middle portion of the game.

Also the Chinese stereotype was really... bad.

I was really really enjoying it up until Fink Industries, then I got thrown on fetch quest after fetch quest, I can definitely understand IGN's pacing complaint now about the middle portion of the game.

Also the Chinese stereotype was really... bad.

Yeah I read Gamespot saying there was a bit of padding in the middle and in there I felt it too. Felt a bit excessive in the time you spend there.

Gorgeous game. Playing on hard, I found the combat quite frustrating at first but now that I'm a few hours in and have some vigors, it's a lot more fun.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
THERES A TYPO ON THE BACK OF THE BOX

Fucking returning this piece of overrated trash right now.

Last time I listen to NeoGAF about anything. If Ken Levine can't even be assed to spellcheck his boxart, I cannot be assed to buy his game.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
hUhIH4G.jpg

fix this shit

Alienous

The only thing that has disappointed me so far is (no endgame spoilers, no spoilers really. A character from the trailers, and their representation partway through the game)
anime Daisy Fiztroy
. That just seemed out of place.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Anyone try playing with the playstation move? The customizable settings leave a lot to be desired but it sure beats playing with the DS3.

Top Bottom