• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Yoritomo

Are you telling me good old George didn't chop down his father's cherry tree and then admit it, saying "I cannot tell a lie." No, good sir, I shall not believe you. Kidding. But, yeah, that's probably a more literal example of American mythology than what you've rightfully pointed out.

To continue the comments on mormonism. Mormons believe the constitution to be a divinely inspired document. Mormon Folklore holds that angels appeared to and guided the founders.

Intentional or not Levine in creating an American religion has managed to mirror THE American religion in many ways.

FartOfWar

Banned
I want to know why Booker and Elizabeth can only jump super high when there's a hook or skyline to grab.

icp2.jpg

Playing on 1999 mode and somewhat regretting it. Its pretty rough but not in a fun way. It takes the bullet sponge property only Big Daddies had and applies them to everyone. Enemies also do that annoying Bioshock-like jump towards you with melee weapons that lets them cover more ground than you can with melee, making melee less useful (this is every mode I'm sure). Wish I could change it without starting over.

I absolutely abhor the continue system too. Let me choose to take the shoot-out from the beginning or use the the system you have. You can restart from checkpoint however these haven't been placed with firefights in mind at all and you end up farther back than you should.

Its a pretty game and I want to know what happens but its already feels like a chore to me. Need to switch some setting around as my framerate has become too variable for my taste.

BearPawB

Banned
How much do i have left?
God I don't want this game to end.

MAJOR SPOILER IN SPOILER TEXT
Elizabeth just killed the leader of the Vox

Also, to everyone complaining about 1999 mode being REALLY HARD, that is kind of the point. And given its unlockable when you beat it, they probably didn't intend for it to be your first experience. I know you are super hardcore, but really...

EvaristeG

Banned
Love this game so far but what's with the stuttering ? Game ran perfectly fine for the first hour or so but since then I have freezes every 10/15 secs, it's very annoying. I'm playing on high at 1680*1050 (HD4890/E8400 3.0gzh, 4gigs of ram).
Also, no subtitles for audio logs is annoying as well.

AEREC

Man, the Carbine is that good, but upgrades are pretty scarce thus far. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the weapons don't change aesthetically with each respective upgrade now, do they? That's a bummer, if so. I loved that about the 'Shock games.

Anyway, I'm seeing no reason to discard the Carb and the Hand Cannon. Delicious.

That would suck...the visual weapon upgrades were one of my favorite little touches in the original.

Just started and it seems fantastic. I just love looking around Columbia. One thing that sort of threw me off during the opening so minor spoilers I guess:

I found it a bit weird that the first thing you do once arriving in Columbia is loot a church by picking up the silver eagles which are presumably donations. It's not a big deal and I wasn't offended by it or anything but it came off as an odd thing to have your first form of interaction with the world. I guess you also loot the lighthouse but that at least appears to be abandoned/the keeper is possibly dead or whatever.

Gold_Loot

Been playing on PS3 for the past few hours. No problems with performance, and the game looks great sans a few goofy textures. So far, this game has delivered. Really enjoying it.

Syrinx

Alright, since I can't play this now, can I get a brief, SPOILER-FREE, comparison between this and BioShock? What is similar, what is better, what this game tries to do differently, etc.?

Also I hate all of you who are playing this now.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Just started and it seems fantastic. I just love looking around Columbia. One thing that sort of threw me off during the opening so minor spoilers I guess:

I found it a bit weird that the first thing you do once arriving in Columbia is loot a church by picking up the silver eagles which are presumably donations. It's not a big deal and I wasn't offended by it or anything but it came off as an odd thing to have your first form of interaction with the world. I guess you also loot the lighthouse but that at least appears to be abandoned/the keeper is possibly dead or whatever.

You do have an option of not picking it up and just leave the area... Game doesn't force you to steal...

Amir0x

Banned
Alright, since I can't play this now, can I get a brief, SPOILER-FREE, comparison between this and BioShock? What is similar, what is better, what this game tries to do differently, etc.?

what is similar:

They both feature unique idealized utopian worlds disconnected from their native lands and both of these worlds start going awry for one reason or another. Rapture is much further along in decay than Columbia is, though.

what is different: literally everything else

what is better: everything else

Milchjon

Does anyone have a full song list, possibly including the locations where they play? Because I can't for the life of me remember the name of a song in (location->)
the "Where We Learn" room in Comstock

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
My copy has just shipped! I don't really know if I should be happy or not. I mean, great, I'll finally get the game, but dammit, it should've shipped before the game was released.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time

I think it only shares the Bioshock name because it's fantastical and involves a 'biological shock'. Otherwise, well, it's an FPS. You'll enjoy it more if you stop comparing it to Bioshock the whole time. I made the same mistake.

You do have an option of not picking it up and just leave the area... Game doesn't force you to steal...

Yeah I know, but if play video games and in particularly the previous Bioshocks, you know/assume that picking up the money is what you're supposed to do if you want to get better shit from the game. It also doesn't give you the option to put something back. Like I said, it's not a big deal or anything but it was something that struck me as odd.

Syrinx

what is similar:

They both feature unique idealized utopian worlds disconnected from their native lands and both of these worlds start going awry for one reason or another. Rapture is much further along in decay than Columbia is, though.

I hate you. The last thing I needed was more hype.

...But thanks. :)

what is similar:

I like.

Just started on PS3, very impressed so far.

Can tell that it's running subHD, will kick myself if 360 is native 720p, though I doubt it.

Ideally I'd have a gaming PC rig, but am holding out for PS4. But enough about that, I'm about to travel to Columbia!

If 360 ended up being 720p, you shouldn't feel too bad because that isn't HD either. :)

Zeliard

There's nothing quite like being down to a sliver of health after a lengthy, hard battle, having one final enemy charging at you, and then drilling your fucking Skyhook into his skull and splattering his brains all over the nearby wall. Then grabbing a pack of smokes for Booker.

f0rk

what is similar:

The game design part of how the world is realised is also very similar to the original.

antitrop

No, but it's been exaggerated and so on and so forth. It's more mythos than myth. Maybe more of a legend. I'm not too keen on delving into the distinction.

Legend sounds about right. But there is absolutely such a thing as "american mythology". The Revolutionary War is full of it.

FartOfWar

Banned
There's nothing quite like being down to a sliver of health after a lengthy, hard battle, having one final enemy charging at you, and then drilling your fucking Skyhook into his skull and splattering his brains all over the nearby wall. Then grabbing a pack of smokes for Booker.

You shouldve been streaming from the start. I suspect you're a super talented player.

GavinGT

Banned

+ the world feels a lot bigger and is far more visually interesting
+ skylines and tears make combat more dynamic
+ live inhabitants as opposed to just Splicers make the world not feel so isolated
+ having a companion is neat and rarely gets in the way
+ Vita chambers are gone; actual consequences for death
+ story is constantly moving forward and more interesting
+ Elizabeth's AI isn't a game-changer, but it is a step forward
+ money actually matters throughout the game, so you're motivated to find it
+ nearly every vigor has trap functionality, so you might actually use traps now
+ the ending is spectacular

+/- no storing health/vigor potions, since Elizabeth helps with those
+/- no Pipe Dream, meaning no permanent hacking of turrets
+/- no security cameras
+/- holding only two guns at once means more tension but sometimes frustrates

- no interesting weapons
- main antagonist not as interesting
- not a ton of world variety
- Elizabeth is constantly tossing change at you
- reliance on Elizabeth to give you items in combat can be frustrating

Zeliard

You shouldve been streaming from the start. I suspect you're a super talented player.

Haha I'd like to but I'm not really set up for it right now. And I have no shame in saying that there are no shortage of types of games I'm pretty mediocre at, if not outright terrible (like shmups).

But I spent an inordinate amount of my youth playing Quakeworld and that experience has tended to translate pretty well into other PC shooters in general.

Muffdraul

What difficulty is everyone starting on

I need to make up my mind on this. I have a long history of playing games on Normal, but it started to change when games like Gears of War 1 and Halo 3 came out, when the devs went out of their way to tell the public "If you usually play on Normal, you should play this on Hard!" and they're right. I feel like I should assume that Infinite follows the trend, but I've seen at least a couple people say that Hard gets pretty annoying later on. I am certainly not one of the hard-asses who jacks it up to maximum difficulty right out of the gate. But I was able to get through Halo 3, ODST and Reach solo on Legendary without breaking a sweat. However I find them to be more enjoyable on Heroic... decisions, decisions.

Top Bottom