• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

So... you can pause the game and change the difficulty at any time right?

I played for a few hours last night on hard, but today my girlfriend is going to play from the start. She chose the first chapter, and changed the difficulty to normal. This shouldn't cause any problems right?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
This is the best game I've ever played

God bless you 2K/irrational games

image.php

So, I live in a place with most of the people being religious. Will this game be offensive to any of them? I don't need spoilers or anything, just a simple answer. I'll likely play it later at night when they're asleep if so.

Still early on - need a hand real quick.

On my way to get the
Shock Jockey
vigor with Elizabeth, and there is a big skyline section up to the top where you leave the area. Thing is I can see a huge statue with scaffolding around it just below with twinkling item stuff on it that I have no idea how to access, and there are those carts in the way which can't be moved... any ideas?

antitrop

I'm a good way through the game and if the ending doesn't suck, this is my favorite game of the generation and somewhere in the 8-10 range of my all-time Top 10.

Lingitiz

Finished it. Infinite does a much better job of establishing it's own identity than the first did. Bioshock 1 felt like a more lavish but stripped down version of System Shock 2. While that's not necessarily a bad thing, it relies alot on the same conventions of that game.

Infinite is really combat heavy, so it's a good thing that the core combat is so damn good. The shooting and the speed at which you can move is so satisfying. It never feels repetitive and the game is well paced. The way the vigors work and the two weapon limit are disappointing though.

The biggest thing Infinite has over the original is that it ends right when it needs to. It doesn't overstay it's welcome and makes me want to replay it right away.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You playing on PS3? How is performance, IQ?

Not bad. Jittery in spots. Mostly fine. Very minor tearing; more noticeable in certain scenes. On par with BS2, which was a good port (that I did not buy but did try). Image is very soft. Either super aggressive AA or subHD. Haven't put my glasses on to do the pixel counting yet. I would like to banish FXAA forever.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
6 hours in. Not having any significant issues with 1999 mode. Enemies can be a bit bullet spongy at times, but gun+vigor combinations sort everything out.

Bricky

Finished! Still a bit confused about the ending, but damn what a game. What. A. Game.

The ending made me think of (PROBABLY BIG SPOILER)
the endings of GAF-favorites 999 and VLR. Multiple dimension-twists are all the rage these days huh? :p

Here are some random thoughts about the game I'd like to share. Not really a review, just random thoughts (spoilers are marked, nothing big is spoiled though (except for the ENDING SPOILER one):

FOR NEW PLAYERS:
- Playing the PC-version with a 360/PS3 controller. #Immersion
- Hard difficulty is the way to go.

- Possesion and Murder of the Crows were by far the most awesome vigors.
Also; the upgrade for Murder of the Crows to have killed enemies become traps and the upgrade which made Possesion use less salt were the best upgrades available by far
- The Lutece twins were unexpectedly two of the most awesome characters in the game. They also had awesome music playing in the background whenever they appeared which reminded me of Professor Layton for some strange reason (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSdmEsnRjAI)
- Talking about music; this game has some AMAZING music and sounddesign. Nothing to add here, just listen to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFxiBP0UFrI and read on.
- Bioshock Infinite wins the 'best first hour of a game ever'-award' with ease.
- The artstyle shits on that of every other recent game in memory except maybe Journey from great height.
- Great tutorial. Fun, feels unforced (you might not even realise it's a tutorial) and fits in with the setting.
- Elizabeth is the only sidekick AI to beat Alyx Vance from Half Life 2 in terms of both intelligence and depth. The way she interacts with all kinds of random stuff was awesome and should serve as an example for future gaming sidekicks.
- Athmosphere is amazing (partly thanks to the great artstyle). I prefer Columbia to Rapture in that aspect, but I don't dig horror games and Rapture was way scarier than Columbia (daylight strikes again) so I might be biased.
- There is some great use of lighting (dat lightshafts).
- Sidequests felt a bit useless

- ENDING SPOILER
The brief throwback to Rapture was cool, even though it was pretty much just a visual reference.
-
The boss battles with Lady Comstock were the least fun bit of the game. That thing made handymen look like little kittens if you ask me.
-
Boys of Silence were underused. +-3 of them in the whole game and yet they promoted him as one of the main enemies? Ah well, didn't like them too much anyways.
-
I like the way choice was used. Didn't change anything about the story, but most of the choices you were offered were still pretty interesting without the need of some kind of morality system.

Well, that's pretty much it for now. I need some time to think about it, but this game could be in my Top 5 of this generation easily.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
6 hours in. Not having any significant issues with 1999 mode. Enemies can be a bit bullet spongy at times, but gun+vigor combinations sort everything out.

6 hours in now as well.

Really enjoying this and the story is keeping me on the edge of my seat.

OneLetter

Apologies for my absence since I was traveling back down to the US, but I'll be watching up on this thread now (and looking back at the last 50 pages or so). If anyone runs into any specific issues that you haven't already seen reported (we're putting up an FAQ most likely in the morning), please PM me and let me know.

Hope all of you are enjoying the game so far, I still need to do my post-street-date-play-through.

spirity

I sort of wish I was American playing this. A lot of stuff like founding fathers and the like would probably resonate with me more, and i can't help but feel I'm missing out. I need to research American history at some point as I know next to nothing about it, but games like BI and Fallout do pique my interest in it.

ekim

So, I live in a place with most of the people being religious. Will this game be offensive to any of them? I don't need spoilers or anything, just a simple answer. I'll likely play it later at night when they're asleep if so.

Depends on how much they will see from the game.

Sblargh

Banned
I sort of wish I was American playing this. A lot of stuff like founding fathers and the like would probably resonate with me more, and i can't help but feel I'm missing out. I need to research American history at some point as I know next to nothing about it, but games like BI and Fallout do pique my interest in it.

A bit of this, yeah. But I think I saw enough episodes of Big Love so I don't have to actually research anything.

Jinjo

Should I start this game on hard or normal? I want a challenge but not CoD on veteran type of frustration.

Played CoD 4 on veteran first time through (I dunno what I was thinking) and the game isn't anything like that on hard. 6 hours in and it hasn't even come close to frustrating.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Should I start this game on hard or normal? I want a challenge but not CoD on veteran type of frustration.

I started off on Hard and while there have been a few tricky spots I've died at, it's nothing too bad. Vigor + Weapon combos usually do the trick.

JB1981

Not bad. Jittery in spots. Mostly fine. Very minor tearing; more noticeable in certain scenes. On par with BS2, which was a good port (that I did not buy but did try). Image is very soft. Either super aggressive AA or subHD. Haven't put my glasses on to do the pixel counting yet. I would like to banish FXAA forever.

Ugh! I thought people were saying the game had great image quality on PS3.

Magnus

GavinGT

Banned

Washington led the revolution
Jefferson wrote the Constitution
Franklin was an inventor
Lincoln freed the slaves
John Wilkes Booth killed Lincoln

I don't think you need to know a whole lot more than that to understand the game's references.

Sn4ke_911

Just, wow. Gorgeous. I know I've heard this before, but remind me where in game specifically? So beautiful.

I feel it does! Just minor tearing (even with vsync on =/) and yeah, bloomy.

End credits.

Probably my favorite track of Infinite.

Just played the game for two hours! OH MY!!

*Amazing graphics, by far the best use of Unreal Engine 3 to this day. the game looks fucking beautiful on PC on Ultra.
*Amazing art style, probably one of the best I have seen. Makes me wish Irrational got to work on a Final Fantasy title. The art reminded me of this FF12 pic: http://www.rpgfan.com/pics/ff12/art-002.jpg
*Amazing atmosphere that very few games can touch
*Beautiful city/level design, I am just walking around and press F12 for screen shots
*Amazing gameplay
*The powers you get in those two hours are fun :D
*The AI is really good, I am playing on hard, but those machine guns are annoying.
*The mele gadget is really satisfying to use, I took out someones head on my second hit lol

that racism scene came out of nowehere!! I thought this game would be about zombie citizens like Bioshock, since I had only seen one gameplay video...but man that raffle scene was really amazing

Man all I gotta say, this game makes other games look like a complete joke! I mean compare this to Crysis 3 or Dishonored...lol this is GOTY material right here. It feels like the game was put together by really intelligent people

bow Irrational <3

Zeliard

I think it's going to turn out as a general experience that the hump in 1999 mode is in the first 2-3 or so hours, before you start getting various upgrades, more vigors, weapons, etc. There are the turrets, enemies can hit hard, and I imagine some people are dying easily, losing 100 coin each time, and then getting frustrated quickly.

I think if some of those people had stuck with it they would have gotten to a more comfortable place.

BraXzy

Just found a
tear before comstock's house that had "Girl's just want to have fun" playing outloud (not just the jingle from the beach.. pretty cool :L

Another thing.. You know you've made a gorgeous game when every other person is taking screenshots as often as they are shooting things. Bravo Irrational.

Sn4ke_911

One sitting????? How long??? Butt hurt?

Lol installing now on 360... Hurry up bar move faster!

I finished it too in one sitting and it took me about 12 hours to finish it on hard.

Apologies for my absence since I was traveling back down to the US, but I'll be watching up on this thread now (and looking back at the last 50 pages or so). If anyone runs into any specific issues that you haven't already seen reported (we're putting up an FAQ most likely in the morning), please PM me and let me know.

Hope all of you are enjoying the game so far, I still need to do my post-street-date-play-through.

You have to read the last 50 pages? Damn lol.

Dr Dogg

I think my version of just coming up to 6 hours in might be a little bit skewed due to having serious OCD and searching every nook and cranny for stuff to pilfer and Voxophones to listen to.

CrazyDude

Washington led the revolution
Jefferson wrote the Constitution
Franklin was an inventor
Lincoln freed the slaves
John Wilkes Booth killed Lincoln

I don't think you need to know a whole lot more than that to understand the game's references.

Madison wrote constitution....

Jefferson wrote the Dec of Ind.

Franklin was inventor/diplomat(a very important one), and an inventor.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
you should be alright, if people are offended by it i'd be pretty damn surprised

Syrinx

+ the world feels a lot bigger and is far more visually interesting
+ skylines and tears make combat more dynamic
+ live inhabitants as opposed to just Splicers make the world not feel so isolated
+ having a companion is neat and rarely gets in the way
+ Vita chambers are gone; actual consequences for death
+ story is constantly moving forward and more interesting
+ Elizabeth's AI isn't a game-changer, but it is a step forward
+ money actually matters throughout the game, so you're motivated to find it
+ nearly every vigor has trap functionality, so you might actually use traps now
+ the ending is spectacular

+/- no storing health/vigor potions, since Elizabeth helps with those
+/- no Pipe Dream, meaning no permanent hacking of turrets
+/- no security cameras
+/- holding only two guns at once means more tension but sometimes frustrates

- no interesting weapons
- main antagonist not as interesting
- not a ton of world variety
- Elizabeth is constantly tossing change at you
- reliance on Elizabeth to give you items in combat can be frustrating

Thank you, very informative. Only question would be, what do you mean by "not a ton of world variety"? Like, in BioShock, a lot of the world stylistically looked similar but felt thematically different. Does Infinite follow along these lines, or is the thematic dynamic of the environments more consistent throughout?

Top Bottom