• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Bricky

Just, wow. Gorgeous. I know I've heard this before, but remind me where in game specifically? So beautiful..

To be honest I don't remember where specifically either. From most of the pieces I do, but this one doesn't really bring up the specific moment in my head. :S

Maybe another GAF-member remembers?

E: Already posted on previous page I see now
Credits

5.5 hours in, finished
Hall of Heroes, got Electro Shock from Slade
, can we agree that there's never been a better game at delivering exposition? Ever?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I know this game is supposed to be evocative of Kipling, but honestly it sounds more like CPAC.

Art imitates life?

Amir0x

Banned
my god, this is the first game where I am actually getting motion sickness... just from being around some of the wildly moving floating buildings >_<

Dylan

So which setting do you guys prefer most? The scary Rapture or not so scary colombia?

Lol @ "colombia"; would make for a much different game...

Seriously though, Columbia is an awesome setting. Too often game designers feel the need to stuff their violence & gore into a fittingly dark setting, but BI clearly demonstrates that throwing chaos into paradise can be way more effective.

Also, when I originally played Bioshock 1 I can remember almost dreading booting the game back up for another play-session, just because I knew it was a guarantee that I'd be spending more hours in Rapture's dark dreary environment. With BI I'm itching to get back to Columbia.

Speaking of which, time to scratch.

ViviOggi

Those strums after finishing off a bad guy blending in perfectly with the score. After Revengeance this is the second game of 2013 with absolutely stellar sound design.

GavinGT

Banned
Thank you, very informative. Only question would be, what do you mean by "not a ton of world variety"? Like, in BioShock, a lot of the world stylistically looked similar but felt thematically different. Does Infinite follow along these lines, or is the thematic dynamic of the environments more consistent throughout?

I guess it's pretty similar to Bioshock in that regard. Except maybe Bioshock did a better job highlighting those thematic differences. But there are still areas that you walk into and are constantly reminded that these areas are shaped by the ideologies of the people in charge of them.

Madison wrote constitution....

Jefferson wrote the Dec of Ind.

Franklin was inventor/diplomat(a very important one), and an inventor.

Thanks for the correction. And I know Franklin was more than just an inventor, but the game really only references his technological contributions (and even then it's only inferred).

lol, same. I almost had to force myself to stop.

The attention to detail in this game is pretty amazing. I'm two hours in and I haven't even gotten Elizabeth yet. I've been exploring every nook and cranny.

same here, I am exploring every single bit of environment before moving on...listening to all the radio diaries and stealing all the supplies. The world they created is very awesome! I wish the main character talked a bit more, he seems really quiet so far.

How about one of you crazy 1999 mode people stream and give us peons a show?

gladiator-other-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-1326.gif

DukeBobby

same here, I am exploring every single bit of environment before moving on...listening to all the radio diaries and stealing all the supplies. The world they created is very awesome! I wish the main character talked a bit more, he seems really quiet so far.

Once you meet Elizabeth, he becomes a lot more talkative.

dreamfall

As I'm nowhere near my PC, my brother's friend brought his copy for the PS3 and I entered the lovely world of Columbia.

I did nothing but walk around for three hours or so- taking in every little detail, interacting with different minigames and admiring a lot of the art. It feels cohesive, and a wonderful introduction to a new city.

The intrigue, the sensory overload, the colors- I can't wait to just get lost in it all.

I sort of wish I was American playing this. A lot of stuff like founding fathers and the like would probably resonate with me more, and i can't help but feel I'm missing out. I need to research American history at some point as I know next to nothing about it, but games like BI and Fallout do pique my interest in it.
If you are particularly intrested in the Founding Fathers, the miniseries John Adams is a great resource and a great show to boot.

Bricky

Thank you, very informative. Only question would be, what do you mean by "not a ton of world variety"? Like, in BioShock, a lot of the world stylistically looked similar but felt thematically different. Does Infinite follow along these lines, or is the thematic dynamic of the environments more consistent throughout?

Infinite follows along those lines, though I agree it's a bit less dynamic than the original Bioshock. In Bioshock 1 alot of the enviroments were centered around specific characters. Infinite still has those, but there's a lot more 'general' City of Columbia stuff in between.

Yerolo

Oh man, this thread is moving too fast. Does anyone have an answer to this ?

I bought the season pass and when I fired up the game next it said there were various items (gear) available to use now

I forgot to check the gear menu though....is there a way of distinguishing the DLC gear from the stuff u already had ? I cant remember what stuff it added in anymore

GavinGT

Banned
I feel that Elizabeth is painfully lacking in terms of reactionary dialog. Most times we walk into a new area, she just says "Hmm" or "Oh".

Zeliard

Those strums after finishing off a bad guy blending in perfectly with the score. After Revengeance this is the second game of 2013 with absolutely stellar sound design.

The diegetic music is also fantastic. The art and sound complement each other beautifully. You're really doing yourself a disservice if you aren't playing this game on a nice screen with good audio.

Not sure I agree with that, with no cover mechanic or anything it's pretty mediocre

I like the old school cover mechanic, the wall stick in games today is annoying and not all that great. In this you have to just back off a little and take shots carefully. I am having a lot of fun on Hard difficulty so far.

Bumhead

Banned
Around an hour and a half in. Oh my god. This game.

Playing a new Ken Levine is an event, not just a new game. This is every bit as exciting, enthralling and just downright jaw dropping as when I first played BioShock.

PC players; are any of you playing with a 360 pad? I played the first two BioShock games on consoles and despite playing with M&KB so far, I'm considering picking up my 360 pad and seeing if that helps me with some of the fumbles I'm experiencing. First person games are usually M&KB only for me but is there a particular disadvantage to playing with a pad for this?

f0rk

I like the old school cover mechanic, the wall stick in games today is annoying and not all that great. In this you have to just back off a little and take shots carefully. I am having a lot of fun on Hard difficulty so far.

My point was the AI barely uses any cover at all. It's similar to Borderlands.

so i have no idea how far i am with the game (been playing for 4-5 hours) but DAMN the game is incredible!

kudos to the team at irrational. sooooo good

antitrop

DmC is one of the better looking UE games, I think, and this still blows it away.

Someone mentioned Arkham City earlier, too. That one comes pretty close to this.

Alucrid

Banned
Anyone else get a glitch where if you aggro people in a peaceful area then restart the checkpoint the battle music continues to play? 360 version.

Damn, killed a guy that's supposed to drop a vigor, but he didn't drop it (although my guys still talks about it). Looked around for a bit then moved on thinking maybe it would pop up as a left the building. It didn't so I moved on with hope until I got to a vending machine where there was an upgrade for the vigor. Went back to check again still not there. And of course I can't load a checkpoint anymore to where the guy is alive so I can try and kill him again. Guess I'm done for now. I don't really want to start over. Shame, it's a pretty good game.

GeoramA

Looks amazing on PS3. BioShock 1 & 2 look last-gen compared to this. Just been walking around looking at things for about 2 hours now.

Can only imagine how this looks on a high-end PC.

Looks amazing on PS3. BioShock 1 & 2 look last-gen compared to this. Just been walking around looking at things for about 2 hours now.

Can only imagine how this looks on a high-end PC.

yea even on PC Bioshock looks last gen compared to it...the lighting is just sooo good!! and the textures, also dat art style

Yanksfan

So I haven't finished the game so not after any spoilers. But, was it confirmed if Columbia is set in the same universe as Rapture?

I don't know (only 20 minutes in so far), but I cannot imagine that it isn't. How can it be a different universe with
the exact same intro as Bioshock 1?

There's a season pass for this game ?

Yes, three single player DLC packs I believe. If anyone got this on PS3, may as well nab the season pass in March to add it to a $50 total so you get $10 back.

Top Bottom