• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Dead

well not really...yet
I just got past that part, too. I actually really liked the
Hall of Heroes
, but the
fight before the Gondola
was indeed frustrating. I ended up at that fight without a sniper rifle, so I had to send wave after wave of crows and pistol rounds at the last rocket guy.
Theres a rooftop where you can
find a sniper rifle and have Liz install cover from a tear

Also,
landing on the ships and sending the dudes flying off with Bronco + a few shots
does wonders.

Playing on hard and the game isn't too frustrating or anything. Just gotta make good use of the vigors + environment

Just got done with
Hall of Heroes
. Great atmosphere but it was basically a giant ass fetch quest. Not cool. Also just had my truly first frustrating moment of the game and that was the
big shootout before you get on the gondola to the Aerodrome
. Sponge enemies are never cool but this shit made me want to quit with how many times I was dying. After beating it, instead of playing more I decided to quit for the night since I was already irritated with the fetch quest beforehand and then having to backtrack all the way back is stupid.

What difficulty are you playing on? And for the second part
did you use the skyline at all? Or the tears?
Because that fight was the most fun for me so far in the game. I think the combat requires you to think differently than normal shooters, because if you hide in one place and shoot back it's not going to be fun at all. But
I brought in a Motorized Patriot and used the skyline to jump onto ships and melee enemies in the face before jumping back off onto the skyline again, then firing the rocket launcher as I zipped away.
And I was doing it on Hard, so...I dunno. It was fun and not frustrating at all to me.

Just got done with
Hall of Heroes
. Great atmosphere but it was basically a giant ass fetch quest. Not cool. Also just had my truly first frustrating moment of the game and that was the
. Sponge enemies are never cool but this shit made me want to quit with how many times I was dying. After beating it, instead of playing more I decided to quit for the night since I was already irritated with the fetch quest beforehand and then having to backtrack all the way back is stupid.

Don't worry, there's even MORE fetchquests and backtracking you get to do in the next section! I could never give a game a 10/10 with the way this entire middle section has been dragged out. It's a very good game, but goddamn Ken, speed it up a bit, baby

MGrant

Theres a rooftop where you can
find a sniper rifle and have Liz install cover from a tear

Also,
landing on the ships and sending the dudes flying off with Bronco + a few shots
does wonders.

There was
a sniper rifle on that rooftop
?
Damn, I only saw the turret. I landed on the first ship and took them out, but was running too low on life to attempt the last.

DatDude

Banned
Don't worry, there's even MORE fetchquests and backtracking you get to do in the next section! I could never give a game a 10/10 with the way this entire middle section has been dragged out. It's a very good game, but goddamn Ken, speed it up a bit, baby

Don't worry, once you get past the middle fetch quest crap, it's nothing but pure gaming nirvana.

FartOfWar

Banned
Just got done with
Hall of Heroes

You def want to opt into easy mode by the sounds of it.

Played about 6 hours tonight. Just made it to
Finkton
and Elizabeth had the most PERFECT animation when
Finkt expresses interest in you over that intercom thing and she gives you this "what the FUCK?" face, and it's just perfect.

Guys... guys.... the ending.... the
Luteces
it's all a meta-reference to videogames themselves. To their linearity, replays and player agency.

Man... I need to sit down.

DatDude

Banned
I'm at the
Memorial Gardens
, how much longer do I have to go? I'm trying to decide whether to finish it or go to sleep.

Enough..you could either keep trucking..or stop and do a fresh playthrough tomorrow. It's up to you.

Honestly, this is just me, but I'd just stop. Since the ending is really heavy and takes alot to digest. If your feeling sleepy or tired I would best advise to just to take a good rest and finish up tomorrow :)

My personal opinion of course.

Guess Who

Banned
I get the feeling once more people start beating this game we're going to have some serious Epileptic Trees going on in this thread (and the spoiler thread).

Ivan

This game is mechanicaly much more appealing to me then previous Bioshocks. I'm really loving it. It's a joy to play on a gamepad and I remember I almost couldnt play first Bioshock that way. Marksman controls are really great, you just forget about them. With all it's qualities, it feels more gamey this time.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Looked in my PS3's save utility and there is literally over a dozen Bioshock Infinite saves.

What the hell? Some say auto-saves and the others say Bookmarks. Anyone know what the Bookmarks are exactly? Dunno why they thought this was a smart idea saving every fucking auto-save in the game to a different file.

Salsa

okay, so either im doing something wrong or
Elizabeth's Mother ghost
boss fight on Hard is a huge pain in the ass

Helmholtz

I like hard difficulty quite a bit. I make it out of most fights in pretty bad shape, and sometimes die during a fight. Also have to play a lot more defensively and intelligently. Have to say though, the Crow vigor after being leveled up so victims become traps seems kind of OP.

dmr87

Might be getting this tomorrow. Will it give me that BioShock feeling when you first enter rapture?

The intro is a real treat.

Kdn.gif

Took me about 9 hours to beat, and I did it in one sitting since I skipped class today lol. Unfortunately, I didn't get all of the story trophies since I went offline about halfway through. Went back to the part I stopped getting trophies (but this time being online), and I started getting trophies again. Go figure. So basically stay signed in to PSN if you want to make sure you don't miss any trophies.

Anyway, I loved the game and had no problem going back and playing through a level I had only finished a few hours earlier. Every combat encounter feels different due to the variety of weapons and abilities that you get in the game, along with the different tears in each battlefield. The shotgun in particular is awesome, along with the Charge ability.

Amazing game, 10/10, would play again.

Salsa

Use Devil's kiss to burn the bodies so they don't come back.

alright that did it, thanks

kinda hilarious how the game throws random useless tips at you "Elizabeth can unlock doors!" "you're low on ammo!" "try doing this!" yet it doesnt bother to tell me something the game never explained before here.

fucking videogames

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
You can reload that chapter correct? That sucks but not all is lost right?
The chapter select is actually implemented really well. It grabs the most recent time a player hit that story point and puts the auto save aside to be accessed later, thus allowing your upgrades and everything to be recorded.

Unfortunately, whether I visit the gunsmith or the club, the game gets stuck loading The Plaza (on return) indefinitely, even after a chapter reload. :(

SOLUTION: Turn backgroundstreaming back to True in the ini file.

Looked in my PS3's save utility and there is literally over a dozen Bioshock Infinite saves.

What the hell? Some say auto-saves and the others say Bookmarks. Anyone know what the Bookmarks are exactly? Dunno why they thought this was a smart idea saving every fucking auto-save in the game to a different file.
That explains this.

Wynnebeck

Banned
You def want to opt into easy mode by the sounds of it.

lol No. I'm not complaining about Hard mode being hard. I'm no pansy. I'm talking about the design issues they made to make it Hard. I can definitely see the beginnings of 1999 Mode in Hard mode which is going to make me not want to play that mode.

But I brought in a Motorized Patriot and used the skyline to jump onto ships and melee enemies in the face before jumping back off onto the skyline again, then firing the rocket launcher as I zipped away.

Funnily enough, this was how I beat it. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy slightly but the quest right before the fight already had me irritated so I went into the fight just trying to plow through and got crushed.

Does anyone else kind of feel like nobody would actually live up there due to the risk of, I dunno, falling? It's just weird seeing kids frolicking about just feet away from a 20,000 ft. drop.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I've got all of the powers now and... is it just me or are they all kind of weak? None of them feel very satisfying to use for me, except maybe the Octopus one when I can use it blast people into the clouds like a force push.

Same goes for the weapons, honestly. I'm not finding any of them to be particularly fun to use. Maybe the sniper rifle, but that's about it.

Oh, and fighting the handymen is not very fun at all. They are just too damn fast in their movement and jumps, and they fucking murder you in two hits. Not only that, but it seems like they take minimal damage except if you shoot them in their hearts (which is hard as hell to hit because they move around so much), and powers don't seem to have much effect on them.

Maybe I just suck and should stop playing on Hard... I dunno. I'm 9 hours in and approaching the final section, I think (
stopped right in front of Comstock house
). I'm rather enjoying the game and loving the visuals, but there are definitely a lot of things I'm not a huge fan of at the moment.

antitrop

Does anyone else kind of feel like nobody would actually live up there due to the risk of, I dunno, falling? It's just weird seeing kids frolicking about just feet away from a 20,000 ft. drop.
Seriously. Imagine all the drunk people that would die accidentally every single day. It would be apocalyptic. Like a bunch of fucking lemmings.

FartOfWar

Banned
lol No. I'm not complaining about Hard mode being hard. I'm no pansy. I'm talking about the design issues they made to make it Hard. I can definitely see the beginnings of 1999 Mode in Hard mode which is going to make me not want to play that mode.

Funnily enough, this was how I beat it. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy slightly but the quest right before the fight already had me irritated so I went into the fight just trying to plow through and got crushed.

I swear I didn't mean anything by it other than that you might enjoy yourself more on the one mode. I don't associate mode selection with shame.

I haven't posted my extended thoughts yet because even though I've been playing for hours today I have barely made any progress, I'm just fucking strolling through the world with my mouth agape lol

Your reaction to the game mirrors mine exactly. You'll be happy to know that the game will consistently have your jaw dropping through out. It's just a pleasure to look at, and savor from any and all angles. Once you hit the large areas with Skylines is where the game gets to be a lot of fun with the sheer number of options available to you. There are some intense fire fights awaiting you.

And the story becomes much more interesting towards the home stretch when the pieces start to align but remain just out of focus as to leave you pondering over the possibilities. I had to force myself to stop playing even though I'm sure I don't have too much left to play through. Maybe another 2 or 3 hours. I just don't want the ride to be over just yet :/

All of the "DAT ENDING" style posts are not helping my case at all. I genuinely hope the ending melts my face off. If it achieves that feat, this will to down as one of my favorite experiences ever

DatDude

Banned
I don't get why more people don't just stick with Easy.

Worrying about dying in this kind of game would just put me off so much.

I mean don't get me wrong, I enjoy challenge. But Infinite is the kind of game where you want to just keep the train going as far as narrative is concerned, and dying, or roadblocks due to some hard enemy would just piss me off and make me frustrated with the game.

Seriously. Imagine all the drunk people that would die accidentally every single day. It would be apocalyptic. Like a bunch of fucking lemmings.

It's by no means a complaint or even a nitpick, and it's a fantasy videogame so I'm not exactly losing sleep over it. And, I suspected as much the moment we found out it was a floating city, but actually being there and seeing people chilling and playing around is questionable. Then again, I have the absolute worst fear of heights so maybe it's just me, but there is no fucking way I would live up there. At least in Skyloft if you fall some birds are like oh fuck and they catch you, but even then, imagine if they were sleeping or something.

Guess Who

Banned
I do think they could at least use a few more fences and railways around the edges of "islands" to keep people from falling off on accident.

RobbieNick

Okay, I'm sure this has been asked, but....
If Elizabeth can make a tear in time and space, why hasn't she left AGES ago? What's keeping her back?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Handymen are terrible and poorly designed.
I'm not really a fan either. Or some of the other really big enemies I guess. Their immunity to most vigors just makes them feel out of place. They are a pain to be around up close because of their immunity to CC, and from a distance I rarely have the opportunity to really get an opening where I can do much damage.

They're an extremely poor substitute for the Big Daddies, who were passive and roaming. I never feel like I get to set up a kill in Infinite the way I did on them. Most of the time more difficult combat scenarios devolve into me jumping around an area on skyhooks to avoid enemies and to find places where I can abuse Elizabeth, be it tears or the amazing amount of materials she will pour on you during combat.

GavinGT

Banned
I'm not really a fan either. Or some of the other really big enemies I guess. Their immunity to most vigors just makes them feel out of place. They are a pain to be around up close because of their immunity to CC, and from a distance I rarely have the opportunity to really get an opening where I can do much damage.

When the handyman goes to shock the skyline, you get a good window to just attack his heart.

DatDude

Banned

They're an extremely poor substitute for the Big Daddies, who were passive and roaming. I never feel like I get to set up a kill in Infinite the way I did on them. Most of the time more difficult combat scenarios devolve into me jumping around an area on skyhooks to avoid enemies and to find places where I can abuse Elizabeth, be it tears or the amazing amount of materials she will pour on you during combat.

They weren't MEANT to be a substitute.

The handy men are just a class of heavy hitters. A more difficult enemy type.

Honestly, so many people are comparing apples to orange.

JoeFenix

I hit my first roadblock in 1999 in
the Club, doing the "audition"

The third wave is just brutal, those balloon turrets fire at you immediately after a respawn and the Patriot is usualy right on your ass the moment you appear.

It's doable but this wave feels a bit poorly balanced, usualy the enemies are atleast reset or you spawn in a somewhat safe place and are able to get your bearings. These things are just bullet sponges too, hard as hell to take down

I only died twice before this point but I have a feeling the real Bioshock starts here!

ZeroRay

Made it up to the
Hall of Heroes
. Impeccable atmosphere and world design; I can see why this game took so long on the art and sound assets alone.

The shooting is ehh so far. Mechanically, playing with a controller leaves a lot to be desired. Response times are baad, for example I often have to double tap on the stick if I want sprint up from a crouch. That, combined with starting on hard makes the combat situations seem more like a chore than fun. The Vigors are nice but don't really offer much in the way of improving combat. Enemy variety is also lacking so far.

An aspect of the controls that the OCD logic side of my brain is unwilling to accept is the fact that the marksman layout has the use of vigors glued to the L2 while switching them is tied to R2. Seriously it's almost unhinging me from the game. If all offense was based on the right shoulder (R2 for vigors) and functionality of that offense was tied to the left (L2 to switch) on marksman, I would be much happier.

I've only been with elizabeth for a little bit so far, but damn this world takes a huge dump on bioshock. it's so vibrant.

and elizabeth is adorable lol.

Top Bottom