• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Spazznid

When I find (mid game spoilers)

Slate in prison after sparing him. There's a gun sitting on the table across from him - what happens if I give him the mercy he wanted before?

Elizabeth realises that's what he really wanted and accepts the decision
no, really.I was glad.

Ohwiseone

I'm taking a break after putting in 5 or so hours today.

I just got the shock jockey vigor. I am assuming I have a TON left right?

ekim

Just finished shantytown... Wow! Didn't expect that and I'm now constantly thinking about the game since then. Can't wait to get back to it tomorrow. This is really the first shooter this gen I enjoy playing although I think less enemy encounters and more adventure-like, discovery-centric gameplay would be even better for me.

Ricker

Just finished shantytown... Wow! Didn't expect that and I'm now constantly thinking about the game since then. Can't wait to get back to it tomorrow. This is really the first shooter this gen I enjoy playing although I think less enemy encounters and more adventure-like, discovery-centric gameplay would be even better for me.

Which do you like more...Elizabeth ot Lara...? ;) :p

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
What are your thoughts on the game thus far?

The long, long middle section of the game wore thin on me and it has taken too long to start making use of the tear concepts to more significant effect. All the effort put into every small detail, yet it falls back on the same godawful tropes of "okay, we need to do this, but oops, that's blocked, so we need to talk to him, oops, he's not there, so we need to go seek out this and that and whatever else oh and oh and oh and...." until eventually you get to what you were supposed to be doing 8 hours later. There's no reason scenario design needs to be this contrived.

The combat's getting very bullet spongy now in 1999 mode, to the point where I use vigors on basically every enemy. Since HP pools are so large and resources scarce, you fall back on what actually works efficiently and discard everything else, so that narrows out the gameplay quite a bit. Initiate with vigors, finish off with guns, etc.

At the current area I'm in, I felt like I was dumpster diving for a solid hour with a couple fights in between. This is not fun whatsoever and should not be incentivized so significantly.

The presentation's fantastic, but that's enough to carry 5 hours or so, as the military hallway shooters know. Everyone's saying the first couple hours and last couple hours are the highlights, so I'll press on until the end, but I've soured on it a bit so far.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I ended up playing the first few hours a couple times, and there is so much to do and see before you even fire a shot, it's amazing. The way is slowly pulls you into it's world, like falling up a rabbit hole.

I'm going to fight the urge to tell you to go play CoD, but if the opening sequences aren't getting you excited at the prospect of experiencing something really special in gaming, maybe it just isn't for you.

I will give it another shot but I don't know what is so special about it. It is a lot like the first one, which I liked, but with the wow factor gone. And more turrets.

BearPawB

Banned
The long, long middle section of the game wore thin on me and it has taken too long to start making use of the tear concepts to more significant effect. All the effort put into every small detail, yet it falls back on the same godawful tropes of "okay, we need to do this, but oops, that's blocked, so we need to talk to him, oops, he's not there, so we need to go seek out this and that and whatever else oh and oh and oh and...." until eventually you get to what you were supposed to be doing 8 hours later. There's no reason scenario design needs to be this contrived.

The combat's getting very bullet spongy now in 1999 mode, to the point where I use vigors on basically every enemy. Since HP pools are so large and resources scarce, you fall back on what actually works efficiently and discard everything else, so that narrows out the gameplay quite a bit. Initiate with vigors, finish off with guns, etc.

At the current area I'm in, I felt like I was dumpster diving for a solid hour with a couple fights in between. This is not fun whatsoever and should not be incentivized so significantly.

The presentation's fantastic, but that's enough to carry 5 hours or so, as the military hallway shooters know. Everyone's saying the first couple hours and last couple hours are the highlights, so I'll press on until the end, but I've soured on it a bit so far.

Everything you hate is due to 1999 mode...so why are you playing in 1999 mode

gdt

Uh oh, my gave has tried to save twice and I've gotten unknown read/write error so it can't save. I've never had this happen. Is something wrong with my HDD? Even worse if I can't fix this without exiting the game I'll lose a good bit of progress.

Hard mode has so many bullet sponges and damn scavenging...I can't imagine suffering through the tedium of 1999 mode

Also, what happen to Andrew, he die?

DarkKyo

I will give it another shot but I don't know what is so special about it. It is a lot like the first one, which I liked, but with the wow factor gone. And more turrets.

If you can't see what is special or amazing about the game then I think video games and art aren't for you.

1999 mode sort of confuses me anyway, because this game has dropped any pretense of being an RPG (for the better, mind - the flimsy half-and-half approach of Bioshock made that game all too open to unfavorable SS2 comparison). Why would I want to play a story-driven shooter where everyone takes ten years to kill?

Hard more provides the challenge I want without making things ludicrous.

khustla

Banned
I'm playing the 360 version and the graphics are horrible everything is just so blurred with horrible textures to the point where I can't get engrossed into the game and fuck you if you call me a graphics whore isn't that what's life is about enjoying the beautiful things

gdt

Uh oh, my gave has tried to save twice and I've gotten unknown read/write error so it can't save. I've never had this happen. Is something wrong with my HDD? Even worse if I can't fix this without exiting the game I'll lose a good bit of progress.

Any idea whats going on? Google brings up issues with steam and partitions/external hdds but I don't have any of that going on.

ekim

I'm playing the 360 version and the graphics are horrible everything is just so blurred with horrible textures to the point where I can't get engrossed into the game and fuck you if you call me a graphics whore isn't that what's life is about enjoying the beautiful things

I think it looks pretty decent on the 360 :eek:

Ceebs

Enjoying the hell out of this game still. Shocked every time I go to a new area that it is a 100% new environment. The art department sure worked overtime on this game.

beastmode

1999 mode sort of confuses me anyway, because this game has dropped any pretense of being an RPG (for the better, mind - the flimsy half-and-half approach of Bioshock made that game all too open to unfavorable SS2 comparison). Why would I want to play a story-driven shooter where everyone takes ten years to kill?

Hard more provides the challenge I want without making things ludicrous.
Because the gameplay isn't really story-driven.

OmahaG8

If I've learned anything about the internet, it's that life is about punctuation.

I have loved everything about the game until
Slates section
the story stuff was pretty cool but it just kept dragging on and on. Now i'm at
Fink's.
Hopefully it picks up again.

BraXzy

Thought I'd spoilerize all of this just in case

Looking at the early footage some more.. Why weren't tears utilized more than the odd cover/health mechanic? It seems like a waste of a really interesting mechanic.

Seeing the horse scene, and the Revenge of the Sith moment in gameplay vids, they didn't really look to have any affect on the game world, but it's a cool way to show the tears off and just make it more fleshed out. I really hope Ken and the team release a video explaining all the design choices and showing off some of the cut features/content, not that I'm hating, it would be interesting to watch.

One of my favourite parts of the game was the areas where all you did was walk around and see people do stuff, admittedly some people find that boring. So why not have bigger open areas to explore whilst offer the straight forward route as an option, but still have cool places to visit off in nooks and crannies.

gdt

God fuck I'm freaking here. As soon as I exit I'll lose 3 hours of progress because the game can't save for some reason.

Zeliard

Couldn't find if you had anything to say about the Motorized Patriots, but I was also curious to hear what you have to say about those. Even on hard, I didn't find them to be too much trouble, even without explosives. The thing is that the tooltip says to shoot their gears in the back and I can safely say I never had the privilege to see that until the last part
where they are all busy shooting the generator instead of you
. Any tips to get around them or anything? I've tried a combination of vigors but most of the time a shock jockey didn't hold them for that long (I did not get the stun upgrade) to get chance to circle around on them or anything and they seemed to be pretty responsive to knowing you were turning the corner to try to flank them.

Use Undertow + Shock Jockey on him. The water and electricity should combine for a stun.

BraXzy

The art in this game is so staggering its taking me forever to get through any one section cause I have to screencap every 10ft.

Keep that up, not only does that hold true throughout, it makes the experience take awhile longer, and trust me, you don't want it to end!

That's why it was hidden behind a code/game completion.

Oh I know, I realise that, I just think it's a shame that people are actively seeking out the code to play it like that on their first playthrough.

It's ultimately souring their overall enjoyment of the game, but they only really have themselves to blame.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Had what will probably be the most memorable emergent moment in the game.
There is this hover car thing that people are boarding on to as a means of evacuation. This one lady is having difficulty getting on board because she has to jump to make it. After the scene plays out everything just kind of stands awkwardly in place so I thought I would be helpful and Undertow the lady on to the boat.

Its force did nothing but blow her and several nearby people off into the clouds, sending those remaining into a panic. At least the hover car flew off.

SmithnCo

Had what will probably be the most memorable emergent moment in the game.
There is this hover car thing that people are boarding on to as a means of evacuation. This one lady is having difficulty getting on board because she has to jump to make it. After the scene plays out everything just kind of stands awkwardly in place so I thought I would be helpful and Undertow the lady on to the boat.

Its force did nothing but blow her and several nearby people off into the clouds, sending those remaining into a panic. At least the hover car flew off.

Hahaha

Gartooth

Just started the game today and played for 3 hours. Had a blast overall, I've been searching every nook and cranny of Columbia for secrets. Overall I just have to say that I am blown away by the art and environments where just like Rapture, Columbia feels like a character itself. In fact it was well over 30 minutes before I even entered the first combat scenario, just exploring the streets.

Anyways decided to quit for a while after getting to
Soldier's Field
. About how far am I?

Darkkn

Finished the game. One of the best, if not the best FPS game of the generation. That said, there was many under-cooked systems in the game that could have used some love.

- Skylines were way under utilized. E3 demo made it look like the levels and Skyline systems were much more comprehensive.
- General linearity of levels was a bit disappointing. Only at the end of the game was there a meaty space to freely explore.
- Stealing system barely existed. Why bother if it's not used widely?
- Many of the clothing items were really bad and some just so good to make others irrelevant.

Some miner peeves:
- Gun was not always holstered at appropriate times. A bit awkward to go to shops with gun on hand when there is no enemies in sight.
- Sometimes Elizabeth started talking while listening audio-recordings.
- Handymen's were super annoying. Fortunately they were also barely utilized.

Cheska

Does Elizabeth's initial outfit remind anyone else of Belle's from Beauty and the Beast? Between the hair and color sequence that's all I've been able to picture this whole time.

Mr. F

Banned
Are the skylines ever used like they are in the demos in terms of being chased on them by enemies? No big deal if they're not as I'm having a blast with them anyway, but curious all the same.

Ceebs

Does Elizabeth's initial outfit remind anyone else of Belle's from Beauty and the Beast? Between the hair and color sequence that's all I've been able to picture this whole time.

She actually looks like Belle and her personality reminds me a bit of Ariel (at least when you first)

Top Bottom