• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Saige

I must do better.
Just finished the game and I got to say good job Irrational, you made a pretty fun videogame. The combat scenarios were for the most part enjoyable, the art and music were amazing, and the story good enough to keep me interested until the crazy ending (even if it did drag in the middle a bit).

Although I have to agree with some of the posts here about being a little disappointed with the skyrails and tears. I thought there would be much more open areas with enough skyrails to just go absolutely crazy on, but at most there were 1-2 looping tracks (which were still fun and useful). It never seemed like Elizabeth could do anything unique with tears like some of the previews suggested. And her constantly stopping me to throw a coin over got really fucking annoying by the end.

There were some parts that just were just crap though. Side quests, checkpoints, and lockpick hunting were incredibly frustrating. Side quests made you backtrack way too much in an otherwise linear game, and often gave you no hints about what you were even looking for. Having to lose progress because I haven’t hit a checkpoint is just stupid in this type of game. And lock pick hunting is just boring and time consuming.

But I still had a good time despite these things.

gdt

Wait a minute. I totally forgot that Steam crashed while I was playing, but the game kept on fine. Maybe that's the problem? I'm restarting steam now...please let this fix it.

Nope...didn't fix anything :(.

Okay, I just entered
Comstock Tower
and I fought the Handy Man and everything and did the first hairpin lock. Thats where I'm at right now. How far am I from the end of the game, assuming I do all sidequests and explore and such?

hertog

I played this game, and I was blown away by the awesome intro.

But after 2 hours of shooting random waves of enemies.... this is really getting boring/stale.

Will it ever capture that magic of the first 20 minutes again? Or is this just doom with pretty graphics, without searching for keys to open doors?

So what exactly are the differences between 1999 mode and regular hard mode? I did a 1999 playthrough but I have no idea what's exactly different from the vanilla game.

Wait a minute. I totally forgot that Steam crashed while I was playing, but the game kept on fine. Maybe that's the problem? I'm restarting steam now...please let this fix it.

Steam crashed for me and I lost all of my progress since the last save before it happened. Luckily it only took me about 15 minutes to get to where I was once I decided to critical path it.

My girlfriend played through the first few hours last night, so now we are up to the same section. She loved it! We had about an hour debrief because there is just so much to talk about.

Score!

RJmw2T1.jpg

Kinda matches my nail polish. Got the premium edition. I have a two-and-a-half hour drive ahead of me, so when I get home I'll be too tired to play much, but I will play this game today!

Are the skylines ever used like they are in the demos in terms of being chased on them by enemies? No big deal if they're not as I'm having a blast with them anyway, but curious all the same.

I'm pretty sure enemies jumped on and pursued me, although not as frequently as I would have liked.

bumclot

Now that I've played gotten further in the game, I'm just about to
enter Comstock House
, I'm surprised people have said it's very linear. I'd say it allows for about as much exploration as Bioshock 1.

Zeliard

So what exactly are the differences between 1999 mode and regular hard mode? I did a 1999 playthrough but I have no idea what's exactly different from the vanilla game.

Enemy HP/damage is buffed (this is the mode's least interesting aspect), death is costlier, enemy HPs reset on respawn, and certain things are disabled regardless of whether or not you turn them on (adaptive training, quest arrow, certain markers like the skull to note a melee finisher opening, etc).

Not sure what the differences are as far as costs and such.

I played this game, and I was blown away by the awesome intro.

But after 2 hours of shooting random waves of enemies.... this is really getting boring/stale.

Will it ever capture that magic of the first 20 minutes again? Or is this just doom with pretty graphics, without searching for keys to open doors?

Well, I mean, it IS a first person shooter. If the art, setting, sound design, characters and story aren't enough to make it more than "Doom with pretty gaphics" for you then I doubt that's going to change...

Just finished it. Great game overall. I just feel like it had a bit too much filler. Sometimes it got to the point of "Yeah, just get on with it". Other than that I'm really suprised, especially by level design, which encouraged mobility and verticality. Good job, Irrational.

Nemesis_

I really wish that 1999 Mode wasn't talked about as much pre-release because so many of you have seemed to have jumped straight to it and are not enjoying it as a result. And most of the complaints I've read in the past ten or fifteen pages are directly related to 1999 mode.

So unfortunate.

Dr Dogg

Who ever at Irrational arranged and orangised the music needs a massive award to say the least.

Upon getting into Colombia and gawping at the scenery the moment the barge comes up with the
Barbershop Quartet singing God Only Knows
had me smiling as well as the moment I set foot in the
Hall of Heroes and the use of Requiem to perfection and the perfect movements as well
but the fact my jaw pretty much dropped when I first heard
Fortunate Son by Credence Clearwater Revival
sums up just how brilliantly executed these moments have been.

Inspired is an understatement.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I really wish that 1999 Mode wasn't talked about as much pre-release because so many of you have seemed to have jumped straight to it and are not enjoying it as a result. And most of the complaints I've read in the past ten or fifteen pages are directly related to 1999 mode.

So unfortunate.

One of the reasons I'm super glad I went on media blackout for this one. I had literally no about 1999 mode. It sounds pretty lame, but I likely would've tried it and messed up my experience.

SmithnCo

Who ever at Irrational arranged and orangised the music needs a massive award to say the least.

Upon getting into Colombia and gawping at the scenery the moment the barge comes up with the
Barbershop Quartet singing God Only Knows
had me smiling as well as the moment I set foot in the
Hall of Heroes and the use of Requiem to perfection and the perfect movements as well
but the fact my jaw pretty much dropped when I first heard
Fortunate Son by Credence Clearwater Revival
sums up just how brilliantly executed these moments have been.

Inspired is an understatement.

I liked hearing a few seconds of
that Tears for Fears song when she opens the Paris portal
too, a lot of detail for a short scene.

Montresor

I'm finding hard to be a little too difficult. I'm trying to find an excuse to restart on normal since I don't believe you can lower the difficulty midway through a playthrough.

Is there a new game plus in this game? And does that new game plus mode allow you to carry over upgrades that would make a hard playthrough easier?

I'm finding hard to be a little too difficult. I'm trying to find an excuse to restart on normal since I don't believe you can lower the difficulty midway through a playthrough.

Is there a new game plus in this game? And does that new game plus mode allow you to carry over upgrades that would make a hard playthrough easier?

There is no new game +, but you CAN change your difficulty midway through. There's an option in the menu when you pause the game to change difficulty.

Cheska

You should be able to change the difficulty under Options -> Gameplay.

EDIT: Beaten.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Just turn it down from the options menu. I started on Hard and died 5 or more times on the first few fights. Turned it down and the game has been smooth sailing since, haven't died yet. It's a little too easy but I prefer that to too hard.

Zeliard

Here's how to fix 1999 mode:

Take away the buffs to enemies and make it a difficulty modifier instead of its own difficulty, akin to New Vegas or XCOM's hardcore mode. That's what I actually originally thought it would be.

That way people who feel Normal is too easy but Hard is too hard can have a middle ground that punishes death more, and people who want a more challenging Hard can slap on 1999 mode to get rid of some of the typical modern-day-gaming stuff.

Montresor

There is no new game +, but you CAN change your difficulty midway through. There's an option in the menu when you pause the game to change difficulty.

You should be able to change the difficulty under Options -> Gameplay.

EDIT: Beaten.

Just turn it down from the options menu. I started on Hard and died 5 or more times on the first few fights. Turned it down and the game has been smooth sailing since, haven't died yet. It's a little too easy but I prefer that to too hard.

Gosh thank goodness. Thanks for the responses! I'll definitely tone down the difficulty, achievement be damned. I want to really savour this first playthrough. I'll give hard a go once I know the game more intimately.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
The only combat complaint I had regarding 1999 Mode was
fighting Lady fucking Comstock three times in a row, which would have been a HORRIBLE series of boss fights no matter what the game. The final battle was also frustrating, but I let it slide because it was the final battle, and I didn't have to repeat the same thing three times in a row.

What should have happened was LC raises the dead in the graveyard, then flies off before you engage her. You fight the dead. Then she raises the dead in the bank, and the fight ramps up in difficulty, but again she's flown off. The third time is the only time you should have actually fought her, as that would have allowed the difficulty ramp up to have been easier to adjust to, and would have fit the experience better. I think this was just poor design on Irrational's part.

Also.
The section with the Boys of Silence felt like it was adapted from Thief 3's Shalebridge Cradle, both in terms of atmosphere and creepiness.

Anyway. Overall, the game was gorgeous to look at and had excellent sound design, but I'm not sure if I actually liked BioShock Infinite, both as a game and a story. I am glad I played it, don't get me wrong, and I'll give the DLC a shot, but I don't think I'll ever replay the base game.

Nemesis_

One of the reasons I'm super glad I went on media blackout for this one. I had literally no about 1999 mode. It sounds pretty lame, but I likely would've tried it and messed up my experience.

Me too.

Like, I am playing it now and I find it interesting that you have to essentially trade your lives for powers and upgrades since respawning costs so much.

But even then I would have no idea about my play style and what weapons / vigors I would use most without actually having played the game first.

All I'm saying is that there is very good reason 1999 Mode is not available to play from the start, and that it's a shame that some people's first impression of this game will be hampered by a mode that is obviously intended to be used or a second playthrough. Your first impression can never be changed either. :/

They shouldn't have made it unlockable with a button input.

The only combat complaint I had regarding 1999 Mode was
fighting Lady fucking Comstock three times in a row, which would have been a HORRIBLE series of boss fights no matter what the game. The final battle was also frustrating, but I let it slide because it was the final battle, and I didn't have to repeat the same thing three times in a row.

What should have happened was LC raises the dead in the graveyard, then flies off before you engage her. You fight the dead. Then she raises the dead in the bank, and the fight ramps up in difficulty, but again she's flown off. The third time is the only time you should have actually fought her, as that would have allowed the difficulty ramp up to have been easier to adjust to, and would have fit the experience better. I think this was just poor design on Irrational's part.

Also.
The section with the Boys of Silence felt like it was adapted from Thief 3's Shalebridge Cradle, both in terms of atmosphere and creepiness.

Anyway. Overall, the game was gorgeous to look at and had excellent sound design, but I'm not sure if I actually liked BioShock Infinite, both as a game and a story. I am glad I played it, don't get me wrong, and I'll give the DLC a shot, but I don't think I'll ever replay the base game.

I don't know if I broke the game or something, but my fully upgraded Devil's Kiss
murdered her almost instantly. Lady Comstock wasn't an issue for me at all on Hard mode. She fell within five-eight blows from it.

Are there elemental weaknesses we don't know about, maybe?

Guevara

Medium (or the default difficulty) is pretty easy but I'm not complaining. Got to get though it once so I can read spoilers and others' opinions.

Had what will probably be the most memorable emergent moment in the game.
There is this hover car thing that people are boarding on to as a means of evacuation. This one lady is having difficulty getting on board because she has to jump to make it. After the scene plays out everything just kind of stands awkwardly in place so I thought I would be helpful and Undertow the lady on to the boat.

Its force did nothing but blow her and several nearby people off into the clouds, sending those remaining into a panic. At least the hover car flew off.

Bioshock Infinite FUS RO DAH

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know if I broke the game or something, but my fully upgraded Devil's Kiss
murdered her almost instantly. Lady Comstock wasn't an issue for me at all on Hard mode. She fell within five-eight blows from it.

Are there elemental weaknesses we don't know about, maybe?

My gameplay focus was on guns, rather than vigors, so that could have been a contributing factor. I did use some vigors in the fight, but I only ever upgraded Possession, as the rest were too expensive for me.

I tend to do this with games: focus on guns and hacking (System Shock 2, Infinite, Skyrim) and use only a bit of magic.

Nemesis_

She definitely has those "Disney eyes".. She's like a perfect blend of Belle and Ariel.

The team purposely looked to Disney for her inspiration.

From Shawn Robertson, Animation Director:

Elizabeth is the heart and soul of Bioshock Infinite, and as such her expressiveness is integral to the narrative. When designing her, we exaggerated her features so the player could clearly read her emotions at any given moment. We looked at some of the female leads from Disney animated movies and drew inspiration from their designs

Also, on the Songbird:

When it came to the Songbird, we wanted a creature that stood in stark contrast to Elizabeth, something obviously not entirely human, but at the same time capable of forming a believable and complicated relationship with Elizabeth. The end result is a creature that is physically imposing, but at the same time can appear gentle, especially in the presence of Elizabeth

I think in that regard they REALLY succeeded with their Songbird design and animations.

Alienous

Elizabeth figuring out that
Booker was going to take advantage of her and trade her in was pretty hokey. She realizes the coordinates are not correct for Paris, and immediately starts poor cry-acting before he even finishes the sentence...then whacks him with a wrench. Then who knows what happens, we wake up with UNDESIREABLES in our airship, and Elizabeth is running around fulfilling her damsel in distress quotient for this part of the game. She is beside herself and won't speak to you. But then she decides to anyway and partners up with you again because she wants to go to Paris, which is understandable...unfortunately, her trust seems so easily built and broken that she seems to be a very unintelligent artificial intelligence...perhaps naive despite knowing all too well that people have it out for her.
The game goes back to using pre-recorded phrases after this event that are incongruous with the new relationship, like, "Booker, catch!" or, upon death, "Booker, breathe! Breathe!"

I think that's weak.

I'd love to think I'd cope better, but then
I haven't spent the entirety of my life with minimal social interaction. She's acting like a kid because she is, and she has no other way to deal with the situation other than to be deceptive (in the same way she probably has to try to escape her cage).

Trey

So unfortunate.

I do think difficulty tuning should be more dynamic than turning enemies into bullet sponging death dealers. Fair criticism to call that out.

That's why it was hidden behind a code/game completion.
I am really regretting it right now. I do not suggest anyone go right for 1999 mode.

I was finally getting better with the combat until I met
a Handyman which seems pretty unstoppable to me. They are complete bullet sponges and move/cover ground so quickly I essentially have to back away from them the whole time which is great until you get hung up on the environment. The rounds of enemies in Fink's Time Club are destroying me as well particularly the machine wave with a Patriot and like 5 Mosquitos. Doesn't help it keeps spawning me right next to the damn Patriot.

I feel like I missed a ton of upgrades or something. I don't have time to do enough damage before dying again :/ Kind of blows my mind some people seem to have little trouble with the mode.
I do think difficulty tuning should be more dynamic than turning enemies into bullet sponging death dealers. Fair criticism to call that out.
This is sadly the most popular way to "craft" a hard difficulty. But like I said not everyone is hitting a wall so I guess I'm just not good enough.

Zeliard

Me too.

Like, I am playing it now and I find it interesting that you have to essentially trade your lives for powers and upgrades since respawning costs so much.

But even then I would have no idea about my play style and what weapons / vigors I would use most without actually having played the game first.

All I'm saying is that there is very good reason 1999 Mode is not available to play from the start, and that it's a shame that some people's first impression of this game will be hampered by a mode that is obviously intended to be used or a second playthrough. Your first impression can never be changed either. :/

They shouldn't have made it unlockable with a button input.

I disagree. I'm going through 1999 mode on my first playthrough and having a blast. I already know I'd be annoyed by Hard mode due to how the respawn system works.

What they should have done is been a bit clearer about what exactly 1999 mode does. It was always a pretty vague thing.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like I missed a ton of upgrades or something. I don't have time to do enough damage before dying again :/ Kind of blows my mind some people seem to have little trouble with the mode.

1999 Mode is pretty manageable. It's just a couple of sections where it gets frustratingly difficult.

Stark

Banned
The (vague spoiler)
change to Elizabeth's superior outfit and hairstyle
was nicely justified. I didn't expect that at all.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Difficulty wise it hasn't been frustrating on 1999 for most of the game, though I'm currently stuck on the hilarious (toward the end)
ghost of lady comstock
who seems to have a ludicrous amount of HP.

The (vague spoiler)
change to Elizabeth's superior outfit and hairstyle
was nicely justified. I didn't expect that at all.
I chuckled when the 'upgrade' happened.
Difficulty wise it hasn't been frustrating on 1999 for most of the game, though I'm currently stuck on the hilarious (toward the end)
ghost of lady comstock
Not sure if it'll work in 1999, but on Hard I just charged a bunch of times. The vigor was fully upgraded along with the melee-centric fire gear.

ghost of lady comstock

I think the third version has the most health. I was on Hard, and it took sooo many Revolver shots, a lot more than the other two forms, I think.

Personaj

Neo Member
Drop them an email and they'll probably send you a PC one without asking for a return?

I would but the problem is my brother ordered it as a birthday present through his amazon account which I have no access to.

Gah it's just irritating because I was looking forward to playing this over Spring Break but now I'm not sure if I'll be able to. This is such a first world problem -_-

Uthred

I think JF is by far the worst caricature in any of the 3 Bioshock games. Characters like Ryan and Comstock at least had very forceful, almost magnetic personalities that helped magnify their their antagonistic roles. F is rather too Dickensian.

I was actually disappointed with how little you interact with Comstock, Ryan's presence was felt so thoroughly through BS. Yet in Infinite you interact with Comstock
, what, twice? in the whole game

Top Bottom