• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Guess Who

Banned
I was actually disappointed with how little you interact with Comstock, Ryan's presence was felt so thoroughly through BS. Yet in Infinite you interact with Comstock
, what, twice? in the whole game

You didn't really interact all that much with Ryan in the original, either. There's lots of talk about him throughout the game, but the same is true of Comstock.

Himself

Has anyone decided to go for the season pass? If so, what convinced you to go for it?

Im on the fence. I love this game, but i also havent bought a single piece of dlc the entire generation and i dont want to get burned.

Decided to spend some of the money I was hording on Carbine upgrades (had been pretty married to my Shotgun/Sniper Rifle combo). Didn't know you could go back to previous saves with the Chapter Select. Very useful.

Handyman (that I just ran past before) went down much easier. We'll see how Fink's Club goes.

Gorillaz

Taking a break around
the start of Shantytown
part of me feels like I'm half way there with the way the story is unfolding. Also I knew about 1999 mode but decided to save it for the 2nd play through. Not trying to get pissed off even more over some bullshit so I started on hard since half of Gaf feels Hard mode is best since your skills/powers become a little OP.

Alright so asking those who are finished. I think I'm getting the possible twist.
The Tears are obviously part of it, I'm thinking the Daisy of the Vox is apart of this twist as well? maybe all of Columbia is the Tear and when Elizabeth opens a Tear it's actually the real world?

Hot?
Cold?
Warmish?

Has anyone decided to go for the season pass? If so, what convinced you to go for it?

Im on the fence. I love this game, but i also havent bought a single piece of dlc the entire generation and i dont want to get burned.

I've gone for the season pass. Because fuck it, 3 more pieces of single player content set in the Infinite world? I'd be buying that right up anyway.

antitrop

Just finished it.
I teared up a bit. My jaw was on the floor. The ending blew my mind.

Best final boss arena, best graphics, best audio, best ending.

Game of the generation.

Taking a break around
the start of Shantytown
part of me feels like I'm half way there with the way the story is unfolding. Also I knew about 1999 mode but decided to save it for the 2nd play through. Not trying to get pissed off even more over some bullshit so I started on hard since half of Gaf feels Hard mode is best since your skills/powers become a little OP.

Alright so asking those who are finished. I think I'm getting the possible twist.
The Tears are obviously part of it, I'm thinking the Daisy of the Vox is apart of this twist as well? maybe all of Columbia is the Tear and when Elizabeth opens a Tear it's actually the real world?

Hot?
Cold?
Warmish?

So very cold. :p

I think I'm about halfway due to voxophone acquisition (that's how I'm marking my progress) since I have a little less than half of them. Things just got a lot weirder. Loving all the environments, though. But every time the game takes me indoors, I feel it's a shame because the strength of the game is the outside open air atmosphere.

It's definitely in my top 5 for the year, but I aint on no game of the generation shit. The middle section drags too long, and the scavenging, a major element of the game, is boring as fuck, but kinda important if you want dem upgrades on harder difficulties.

But when I beat it, I immediately started it again, so there's a good sign.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Finished the game and overall what a great time. Really not sure what to make of the ending, will have to mull over it a bit, but it'll be interesting to read peoples thoughts on it. What impressed me the most was how improved the combat was from the combat arenas themselves to how good the weapons feel to shoot etc. I loooooved how open some of them are, the skyhook really is such an awesome addition, I was constantly jumping about, dive bombing fools and mixing things up. Real joy to actually play and mixes up the ground combat and 'in air' combat very nicely. I would have loved more open areas or even bigger areas to play about in, damn I love using the skyhook in combat. Maybe big arenas included as part of some DLC please.... ;) I played the game on normal and felt that was just right for a first playthrough, I do tend to be very reckless though and get killed often enough even on this difficulty so needless to say I'll do hard later :p

I'm still not sure if it would be my favourite 'Bioshock' story though (I really love Minervas Den) and to be honest I do miss Rapture to some extent even if going back there for a third time really wasn't needed.

It's definitely in my top 5 for the year, but I aint on no game of the generation shit. The middle section drags too long, and the scavenging, a major element of the game, is boring as fuck, but kinda important if you want dem upgrades on harder difficulties.

But when I beat it, I immediately started it again, so there's a good sign.

Scavenging got you voxophones and that alone was worth it. Derrick had a similar complaint, and I don't understand. Why do you to obtain something from exploring? Why can't it just be for the sake of exploring and admiring every little detail put into this world?

DatDude

Banned
Should I play this if I haven't beaten the original Bioshock?

You can. But there are certain parts that simply will take you to another level if you've played Bioshock before.

So playing Bioshock will definitely enhance the experience a bit.

First there are extra gears that the season pass gives you right off the bat that are very useful.

Besides that, the next dlc' pieces will be DIRECTED by Ken Levine himself. So no side team making shitty dlc just for the sake of selling dlc.

This will also be seperate side stories, with new characters set in the world of Columbia that will flesh out the world and it's lore even more so. There will be 3 stories/DLC episodes. So if you've ever played Bioshock 2's DLC Minerva's Den, than it'll be something very akin to that.

Just finished it.
I teared up a bit. My jaw was on the floor. The ending blew my mind.

Best final boss arena, best graphics, best audio, best ending.

Game of the generation.

Yeah the ending is just something incredibly special for this medium. Definitely a big mile stone in the arts of video games.

The best part? Doing a second playthrough. Your jaw will simply SHATTER by how much foreshadowing there is that pertains to the end. All throughout the game, fucking amazing. It's clear that Mr. Levine took his time with this narrative.

So delicately handled, no plot holes, and just so much good ass writing involved with this. Fucking bravo Levine.

I said this in the spoiler thread, but I'll say this here to. I would say Bioshock Infinite has the best narrative in all of video games. Yes, even better than Planescape: Torment.

Just so fucking well done.

Zia

I'm at
Prosperity Point (I think that's what it's called?), outside of the Comstock house
. Keep in mind it's taken me 12 hours to get here.

I'm having trouble finding the time to play which is driving me absolutely crazy. Don't want to just "finish" it but the I want to see.

I played a ton today, I am curious how long I have left to decide whether to finish tonight or tomorrow.

Where I am.
Elizabeth just killed Fitzroy and put on her new dress.

Id guess about 4 more hours?

Moobabe

Speaking of the music - is there any chance that some of the licensed stuff will make it's way online? I have the OST but none of it is on there.

Himself

Directed by Levine, eh?

...Sold!

And i havent played Minervas Den, havent even played Bioshock 2, but i understand that its one of the more highly regardede dlcs so I'd hope at least one of the three hit that level.

Syrinx

Everybody I've seen talk about the ending says it's phenomenal. I'm kinda surprised I haven't been spoiled on it yet. But I can't wait to see it.

But first I have to be able to play. :(

Scavenging got you voxophones and that alone was worth it. Derrick had a similar complaint, and I don't understand. Why do you to obtain something from exploring? Why can't it just be for the sake of exploring and admiring every little detail put into this world?

Clicking on shiny things for hours isn't my idea of fun exploration. I did that in Tomb Raider, it sucked there, and it sucks here, too. It's a major deterrent to the pacing of the game, IMO.

Megasoum

Banned
So I bought the season pass and when I booted the game it told me that I could find my upgrades and bonuses in the restaurant. I already went through it once before so is there any way to go back?

Vire

Clicking on shiny things for hours isn't my idea of fun exploration. I did that in Tomb Raider, it sucked there, and it sucks here, too. It's a major deterrent to the pacing of the game, IMO.
But I thought GAF loved health potions and rebounding health was the devil?

pringles

I'm just an hour or so into the game, haven't even met Elizabeth.

And it's already one of the best games I've played this generation. Probably have to go back to the first Bioshock to find the last time I was this blown away by the beginning of a game. I can barely bring myself to make forward progress because I just end up looking around, in awe of the world they've created.

Graphics are blowing my mind too, shows what great artists can do with 360/PS3.

Cheska

Well I'd say that the biggest complain I have for scavenging so far is how often you turn up with empty crates.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

Except you don't have to do any of that. If you do, you're amply rewarded.

Zeliard

Directed by Levine, eh?

...Sold!

And i havent played Minervas Den, havent even played Bioshock 2, but i understand that its one of the more highly regardede dlcs so I'd hope at least one of the three hit that level.

The best part of Minerva's Den is the worst part of every other Bioshock - the pacing. Owing in part to the game's shorter length, the pacing (and the script in general) is much tighter.

And Minerva's Den's ending is simply phenomenal, though people seem pretty high on this one's ending as well.

Syrinx

Well I'd say that the biggest complain I have for scavenging so far is how often you turn up with empty crates.

I remember in BioShock in Neptune's Bounty there was one particular room with a shitton of smuggler's crates, and none of them had anything in them. I think one may have had an EVE hypo or something, maybe a couple of dollars. Yet every playthrough I had to look through all of them. Something about this series flares up some OCD hidden deep within me.

DatDude

Banned
The best part of Minerva's Den is the worst part of every other Bioshock - the pacing. Owing in part to the game's shorter length, the pacing (and the script in general) is much tighter.

And Minerva's Den's ending is simply phenomenal, though people seem pretty high on this one's ending as well.

The funny part is that if Ken wanted to make those type of Bioshock games, I WOULD BE SO OKAY WITH THAT <3

Short-3/4 hour games for 19.99, I would so be okay with that rather than another 5 year wait :(

No it's not, and comparing the exploration to Tomb Raider is kind of insulting. There's more than shiny things to pick up. There's the small details in every area, along with the 2 types of collectibles you can get (kinetoscopes/telescopes and voxophones.)

Also, I'd take a Bioshock voxophone over a worthless banter of someone being stranded in an island nobody cares about.

I know in the original Bioshock you could get upgrades that made it more likely for you to find things in crates. Is there a gear for that in Infinite?

Why does nobody else in the game world use the vigors?

At least two enemy types do, at least, which is more than the amount of splicers using plasmids in the original.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I know in the original Bioshock you could get upgrades that made it more likely for you to find things in crates. Is there a gear for that in Infinite?

At least two enemy types do, at least, which is more than the amount of splicers using plasmids in the original.

Yeah, but the whole "spliced up" thing was a core part of Bioshock's mythos, wasn't it? That everybody went nuts because of all the genetic modification? Even if you didn't see everybody actually using the plasmids, it was sort of written into the game. I'm really surprised it's not a bigger focus in the narrative here. Yeah, two of the enemy types do...and the other 6? Just strikes me as a little weird.

lol wut, there are quite a few in the enemies do.

Practically no splicers in bioshock used plasmids at all.

My thought was that the splicers are, by definition, plasmid users.

Except you don't have to do any of that. If you do, you're amply rewarded.

Sure, I don't "have" to do it, but I'll be missing out a lot of the game's gear, weapon/magic upgrades, secret stuff, etc, being locked behind paywalls and locked doors.

It's like a version of Half-Life 2 that requires you to go on a boring collect-a-thon before you unlock the Gravity Gun. You don't HAVE to do it, and since it's boring and slows game down(which does that just fine, with the super contrived middle act) you don't want to, but then you miss out on any of the potential cool stuff. Can't you just give me the cool stuff, or make unlocking the cool stuff fun?

Syrinx

Sure, I don't "have" to do it, but I'll be missing out a lot of the game's gear, weapon/magic upgrades, secret stuff, etc, being locked behind paywalls and locked doors.

It's like a version of Half-Life 2 that requires you to go on a boring collect-a-thon before you unlock the Gravity Gun. You don't HAVE to do it, and since it's boring and slows game down(which does that just fine, with the super contrived middle act) you don't want to, but then you miss out on any of the potential cool stuff. Can't you just give me the cool stuff, or make unlocking the cool stuff fun?

Not a great analogy. I'm pretty sure you actually do need the gravity gun to progress in Half-Life 2.

How can you make the unlocking "funner" than what it already id? They wanted to put as much backstory as possible, so included 80 voxophones. How do you cleverly hide 80 voxophones?

Top Bottom