• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Sure, I don't "have" to do it, but I'll be missing out a lot of the game's gear, weapon/magic upgrades, secret stuff, etc, being locked behind paywalls and locked doors.

It's like a version of Half-Life 2 that requires you to go on a boring collect-a-thon before you unlock the Gravity Gun. You don't HAVE to do it, and since it's boring and slows game down(which does that just fine, with the super contrived middle act) you don't want to, but then you miss out on any of the potential cool stuff. Can't you just give me the cool stuff, or make unlocking the cool stuff fun?

Yes, if you want the rewards the game offers you have to do (a bare miminum) of exploration. The game would be much, much worse off if everything was just laid out in an on-rails, super linear path, FFXIII style. I'm okay with having to explore in order to flesh out a world more than what's along the glowing arrow.

FartOfWar

Banned
Enemy HP/damage is buffed (this is the mode's least interesting aspect), death is costlier, enemy HPs reset on respawn, and certain things are disabled regardless of whether or not you turn them on (adaptive training, quest arrow, certain markers like the skull to note a melee finisher opening, etc).

Not sure what the differences are as far as costs and such.

Cost increases also mean you aren't buffing every weapon and vigor to match increasingly harder ais.

DatDude

Banned
My thought was that the splicers are, by definition, plasmid users.

They are. But none of them actually used there plasmid abilities did they..they used pipes, and revolvers and the such.

That would be a bigger issue to me, but I didn't really mind tbh.

Just
left Shantytown
, anyone know how far I am?

Still loving the game, really taking my time.

A good chunk. 5-6 hours maybe depending on your play style.

Uthred

I'm surprised there's no plot holes
time manipulation ain't anything to fuck around with.

There's no plot holes if you take the ending as it comes, but it sort of falls apart when you think about it for a bit. Theres a lot of fridge logic on the go.

The religion of citizenry is based on Mormonism; they don't drink or partake of controlled substances.

All the bars and the fact that the Vigors are manufactured by Fink Industries and widely advertised at the main fair make me doubt theres actually an IC reason for it

FartOfWar

Banned
Who ever at Irrational arranged and orangised the music needs a massive award to say the least.

Upon getting into Colombia and gawping at the scenery the moment the barge comes up with the
Barbershop Quartet singing God Only Knows
had me smiling as well as the moment I set foot in the
Hall of Heroes and the use of Requiem to perfection and the perfect movements as well
but the fact my jaw pretty much dropped when I first heard
Fortunate Son by Credence Clearwater Revival
sums up just how brilliantly executed these moments have been.

Inspired is an understatement.

no mentions of Shiny Happy People yet

noffles

Banned
Why does nobody else in the game world use the vigors?

Most likely due to the expensiveness of the vigors and the many strengths they actually come in. Look at the beginning of the game and the sample of the bucking bronco at the fair. That didn't do anything to Booker's hand, because it was such a weak mix of the vigor. Because it was such a weak mix, it didn't do much and isn't capable of doing much damage. The vigors you find later on are obviously a lot more potent, and end up having physical effects on Booker. The firemen and the raven fellas are obviously vigor users, but in much, much larger and potent doses than what Booker took.

Vire

I dunno I didn't really feel the need to constantly scavenge for health on normal difficulty. Elizabeth helped and the gear that restored life after a kill when health is low made it really a non issue.

If you are complaining that hard mode is hard. I don't really know what to say.

Toki767

I reached the part where
old Elizabeth takes you into the future
and now my mind is just so full of fuck. This game has been amazing so far.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
They are. But none of them actually used there plasmid abilities did they..they used pipes, and revolvers and the such.

That would be a bigger issue to me, but I didn't really mind tbh.

A good chunk. 5-6 hours maybe depending on your play style.

Yeah, I don't mean to say that this upsets me or anything. I'm not complaining. I am actually appreciating the game and it is causing me to think more deeply about it than I would most games.

Are there trophies associated with the occasional moral choices you have to make? Does the story change based on what you choose?

So far, I've
attacked the announcer instead of the couple, chose the bird medallion instead of the cage, and then I drew first on the ticket seller when I heard him mention 'the bird'.
. Man, this game just oozes quality and love out of every pore.

Cystm

Hard mode has so many bullet sponges and damn scavenging...I can't imagine suffering through the tedium of 1999 mode

Also, what happen to Andrew, he die?

How far along are you?

I am playing through on hard and I am finding it too easy. Sniper rifle and RPG. Bucking Bronco+melee or Murder of crows for groups. I have the chance to stun on melee and health on melee kill clothing on.

Nothing so far has put up much of a fight singularly.

The part with the
roving rocket propelled grenaders after activating the gondola to get to the airship was fairly challenging initially, but I found an area they made where you can tear in a wall and turret that enabled me to snipe safely (too safely)

The enemy Ai is not very smart when it comes to taking cover from a sniper.

I would have liked to seen more adaptation, so that after removing the heads of five of their comrades they would keep their heads down, wait me out and then find a more effective strategy.

I am currently at the point in the game where you need to
find the Gunsmith and that's gotta be early? Just barely had a run in with a handy man. Should get more challenging as time goes on.

noffles

Banned
I was wondering that too while I played. That does indeed make sense. :D

Except the firemen and raven cultists are using vigors and that kind of debunks the theory. Columbia is also filled with alcoholic substances, which makes no sense in conjunction with the Mormon ideals either.

Nafai1123

Banned
Sure, I don't "have" to do it, but I'll be missing out a lot of the game's gear, weapon/magic upgrades, secret stuff, etc, being locked behind paywalls and locked doors.

It's like a version of Half-Life 2 that requires you to go on a boring collect-a-thon before you unlock the Gravity Gun. You don't HAVE to do it, and since it's boring and slows game down(which does that just fine, with the super contrived middle act) you don't want to, but then you miss out on any of the potential cool stuff. Can't you just give me the cool stuff, or make unlocking the cool stuff fun?

Have you never played a game that rewards the player for exploration? I would much rather have some reward in a room I choose to explore instead of nothing.

FartOfWar

Banned
Just finished it.
I teared up a bit. My jaw was on the floor. The ending blew my mind.

Best final boss arena, best graphics, best audio, best ending.

Game of the generation.

That's good to hear considering you played 1999. You seriously must play beast mode, but I suspect we share much in common with our play styles. I too loved a great deal of Bulletstorm's combat. I also had an awkward time when I was in the press when I was playing Crysis 1 at E3 and they asked me if I would continue playing for as long as I liked because I was showing off their systems well to a crowd (constant suit ability switching mixed with aggressive, show-off play).

How far along are you?

I am playing through on hard and I am finding it too easy. Sniper rifle and RPG. Bucking Bronco+melee or Murder of crows for groups. I have the chance to stun on melee and health on melee kill clothing on.

Nothing so far has put up much of a fight singularly.

The part with the
roving rocket propelled grenaders after activating the gondola to get to the airship was fairly challenging initially, but I found an area they made where you can tear in a wall and turret that enabled me to snipe safely (too safely)

The enemy Ai is not very smart when it comes to taking cover from a sniper.

I would have liked to seen more adaptation, so that after removing the heads of five of their comrades they would keep their heads down, wait me out and then find a more effective strategy.

I am currently at the point in the game where you need to
find the Gunsmith and that's gotta be early? Just barely had a run in with a handy man. Should get more challenging as time goes on.

I've completely it on Hard. It gets pretty challenging at the end, especially the last big battle, but I've only died a handful of times. I feel like I did just enough tedious clicking on shiny things to able to play it well. I can't imagine how piss easy and non-aggressive Normal mode must be.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Man, Elizabeth just had a completely unscripted reaction to a combat scenario that really hit me hard. She sat down on a bench as I was looting corpses and directly in front of her was a guy I decapitated with the skyhook. She looked at him with the most heartbreaking look on her face and started shuddering but she obviously couldn't bring herself to look away. They did an amazing job with her.

Dr Dogg

I liked hearing a few seconds of
that Tears for Fears song when she opens the Paris portal
too, a lot of detail for a short scene.

no mentions of Shiny Happy People yet

Hahaha. Damn it! That was two spoilers I shouldn't have clicked on. I'm so impressed with the attention to detail. Definitely going to playthrough against straight after I finish up and really comb every last inch of Colombia.

Got the Art Book on pre-order but wondering if you guys are planing to release a full score? I've got the 28 track one with my Songbird Ed. but after finding the gems mentioned earlier love to have the full experience. Don't know if licensing would be an issue though.

I weirdly feel ashamed to call this a game as it feels much, much more than that.

Vire

Man, Elizabeth just had a completely unscripted reaction to a combat scenario that really hit me hard. She sat down on a bench as I was looting corpses and directly in front of her was a guy I decapitated with the skyhook. She looked at him with the most heartbreaking look on her face and started shuddering but she obviously couldn't bring herself to look away. They did an amazing job with her.
There was a neat moment towards the end where she
Folded a dead mans arms around his chest with a mournful expression on her face

Not sure if it was scripted or not because I past by that area twice and she only did it the second time.

nib95

Banned
The long, long middle section of the game wore thin on me and it has taken too long to start making use of the tear concepts to more significant effect. All the effort put into every small detail, yet it falls back on the same godawful tropes of "okay, we need to do this, but oops, that's blocked, so we need to talk to him, oops, he's not there, so we need to go seek out this and that and whatever else oh and oh and oh and...." until eventually you get to what you were supposed to be doing 8 hours later. There's no reason scenario design needs to be this contrived.

The combat's getting very bullet spongy now in 1999 mode, to the point where I use vigors on basically every enemy. Since HP pools are so large and resources scarce, you fall back on what actually works efficiently and discard everything else, so that narrows out the gameplay quite a bit. Initiate with vigors, finish off with guns, etc.

At the current area I'm in, I felt like I was dumpster diving for a solid hour with a couple fights in between. This is not fun whatsoever and should not be incentivized so significantly.

The presentation's fantastic, but that's enough to carry 5 hours or so, as the military hallway shooters know. Everyone's saying the first couple hours and last couple hours are the highlights, so I'll press on until the end, but I've soured on it a bit so far.

Thanks for the update. Interested to see if people prefer the game in 1999 mode or regular.

This game is getting... very weird. Like, I'm... wow. Really didn't expect... well, anything to turn out this way so far. I just
entered the tear where Booker is revered as a Vox hero

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Man, I can't wait to dig into this game. It looks like I'll probably be able to finally play it next monday or tuesday. Glad to hear that it's being enjoyed by mostly everyone!

ElRenoRaven

So about an hour in and dear god I'm loving it. Started out a bit slow but damn this game is without a doubt going to live up to Bioshock 1 without a doubt.

GavinGT

Banned
How does that explain the guy trying to
sell the vigor's at the fair?

I would say that maybe the publicly available doses are smaller than what Booker manages to get his hands on, but then you'd think the Columbian security forces would all have access to full doses as well.

I think the only narrative way out would be to claim that the general public views vigors as parlor tricks for little kids. But in the hands of certain people who possess some innate power (midichlorians), they can create devastating attacks with them. So maybe only Booker and certain special enemy types can use them effectively enough in combat to even bother.

DatDude

Banned
Man, I can't wait to dig into this game. It looks like I'll probably be able to finally play it next monday or tuesday. Glad to hear that it's being enjoyed by mostly everyone!

One of the finest gaming experiences in years, if not a good decade. You have a lot to look forward to.

9 hours in. Just beated
Disneyla... I mean Soldier's Field
and this game is my years GOTY. Im loving it.
Not only the scenario, music and story are amazing (Elizabeth remdinds me a lot of Rapunzel in Tagled, and that IS good) but the gameplay is INCREDIBLY fun, unlike the first one.

Megasoum

Banned
Crap so I missed the first cypher sidequest (I got the quest but never found the cypher)... Am I screwed now or I will have a chance to go back and do it?

GavinGT

Banned
Crap so I missed the first cypher sidequest (I got the quest but never found the cypher)... Am I screwed now or I will have a chance to go back and do it?

Can you backtrack to where you found it? If you can still get to the Hall of Heroes, you haven't advanced too far.

I'm just an hour or so into the game, haven't even met Elizabeth.

And it's already one of the best games I've played this generation. Probably have to go back to the first Bioshock to find the last time I was this blown away by the beginning of a game. I can barely bring myself to make forward progress because I just end up looking around, in awe of the world they've created.

Graphics are blowing my mind too, shows what great artists can do with 360/PS3.

I felt the same as you, i have only just started into combat, but at every turn i was stopping and looking at the amazing city backdrops and reading every poster. The environments in this game are spectacular.

Also loved the beginning as it linked very well to the original bioshock, only your going up instead of down :)

Megasoum

Banned
The only thing that bugs me in the game are the weapons.

First of all the fact that you can only carry 2 of them is really annoying. Makes me want to stick with the same 2 guns for the whole game and not try new stuff.

Second, there's too many similar guns. Like the Shotgun is great but then there's another one (the volley gun I think?) which is very similar. Or the Machine Gun and the Repeater.

Anyway, overall it's a fucking amazing game but I wouldn't have done the weapons that way.

Top Bottom