• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Vire

The only thing that bugs me in the game are the weapons.

First of all the fact that you can only carry 2 of them is really annoying. Makes me want to stick with the same 2 guns for the whole game and not try new stuff.

Second, there's too many similar guns. Like the Shotgun is great but then there's another one (the volley gun I think?) which is very similar. Or the Machine Gun and the Repeater.

Anyway, overall it's a fucking amazing game but I wouldn't have done the weapons that way.
I agree, I ended up using the carbine, pistol, machine gun and that was it. Mainly because of the limitations, I was always worried that I wouldn't be able to get my favorite weapons back after trying out a different one. It's one major gripe I have with the game.

Hylian7

Not sure how far I am from the end, here's where I am for reference.

That fight when you're trying to get back to the First Lady and the leader of the Vox Populi sees you behind the glass and wants to kill you.

Other spoilierific details about what I've seen so far:
First I hear Fortunate Son from a tear, then a lady is singing a jazzy cover of it?! Tainted Love playing in a bar?! What the hell is going on?! I thought this might be a "The Village" type situation, but I'm not so sure about that since there's tears involved. I thought maybe it's possible these people are just getting the music from hearing it tears, but I'm not sure.

Gorillaz

The one thing that does bug me is gameplay and in a way holds back the game itself. It clicks alot better then bioshock 1 but in some ways I still feel it's a little too "old school" and I'm not taking about health packs and shit like that but the way it all flows feels dated. It's hard to pinpoint. The Railing combat adds a new dynamic tho.

It's like the depth of the game isn't completely unlocked because of how it plays. I'm probably alone on this thinking this way but there is a disconnect.

So, uh, when do I get to the boring middle with the fetch questing?

I just walked through a tear to an ALTERNATE DIMENSION and am now in a slum that's taller than the goddamned Chrysler building, BIG ENOUGH TO HAVE A FLYING BATTLE IN. Oh and that's right after I FED THE POOR WITH SUPERPOWERS and PLAYED A SONG GILLIAN WELCH PROBABLY COVERED.

If this is boring and meandering, lord help me for what comes next.

Ohwiseone

I know it isn't anything huge but they did a fantastic job on the AI for Elizabeth, personally I think when
goes and just sits down on a bench, or leans against the geometry.
Is some of the best.

Just that idea makes her seem a bit more than just computer controlled.

Sober

Medium (or the default difficulty) is pretty easy but I'm not complaining. Got to get though it once so I can read spoilers and others' opinions.
Hard feels fine minus maybe a handful of encounters and feels most fair IMO. Though I maybe wish I turned on floating combat text to know if I was doing something right versus "maybe this enemy is just a bullet sponge".

Long hair Elizabeth
>
Short hair Elizabeth
Well to be fair
when they redid her face to match the cosplayer I think it worked out. If you notice at the very end of the game a version of Elizabeth shows up with the current face but the older short hair (straight fringe) so it looked really odd on that face but I didn't mind it in her previous iterations.

Syrinx

I haven't played this game yet, so I may be getting a little ahead of myself here, but while I was in the shower I started wondering what Ken Levine's going to do now that this game is out. This game was half a decade in the making, and I get the impression that he was putting everything into this game that he had. Some people were also saying that he wasn't looking too hot at the VGA showing or wherever he presented this game recently.

I wonder if he's going to take a long break. Or maybe he'll restrict himself to smaller, less demanding projects. Or maybe he's the kind of guy who'll jump straight back into hell. I'll certainly be interested to see what he does. All I know is that I personally would love to continue to have him around.

Gorillaz

I haven't played this game yet, so I may be getting a little ahead of myself here, but while I was in the shower I started wondering what Ken Levine's going to do now that this game is out. This game was half a decade in the making, and I get the impression that he was putting everything into this game that he had. Some people were also saying that he wasn't looking too hot at the VGA showing or wherever he presented this game recently.

I wonder if he's going to take a long break. Or maybe he'll restrict himself to smaller, less demanding projects. Or maybe he's the kind of guy who'll jump straight back into hell. I'll certainly be interested to see what he does. All I know is that I personally would love to continue to have him around.

I would be surprised if he DIDN'T take a break from big AAA titles. I feel after he does a few DLC areas, Ken will probably taking time off and then doing some small shit and then come back down the line to AAA.

Thats what I'm thinking.

Vire

So, uh, when do I get to the boring middle with the fetch questing?

I just walked through a tear to an ALTERNATE DIMENSION and am now in a slum that's taller than the goddamned Chrysler building, BIG ENOUGH TO HAVE A FLYING BATTLE IN. Oh and that's right after I FED THE POOR WITH SUPERPOWERS and PLAYED A SONG GILLIAN WELCH PROBABLY COVERED.

If this is boring and meandering, lord help me for what comes next.
You past it already.

The constant "oh one more thing" was rather annoying in the Fink Manufacturing portion. Finch just wasn't as interesting of a character as someone like Sander Cohen. It felt like we were tantalizingly close to getting on the airship only to be kicked downward to do 5 more fetch-quests. I also didn't like the way they handled the Chinese immigrant, felt like a bad stereotype. I think it was more to do with the voice acting quality itself rather than the writing. The original Bioshock I felt had pacing problems as well, so it's nothing new. The game overall, is still phenomenal

DatDude

Banned

If Infinite is any indication of his pace..than it'll be 2017 till we see his next piece.

Just finished my first playthrough, for better or worse went with 1999 mode from the get go. Took me 16 hours roughly. Only particulary difficult bit was
Ghost of Lady Comstock, a billion hp
, rest wasn't too bad. Did the finale battle in one go.

Great game, pacing goes a bit wobbly in the middle, but gets back together near the end. Ending gave me more questions than answers.

Missed 5 voxaphones, annoyingly.

Fjordson

It certainly caught my attention every time the old-timey dialogue popped up. They might have benefitted from a riskier casting choice for Booker. Someone who really sounds old-timey. But like I said, not a huge gripe. The voice acting is mostly excellent.
I agree.

All along I've sort of wished they had stuck with the actor in the very first gameplay reveal from a few years ago (the same actor for Garrett from Thief I believe). Made Booker sound older which was interesting and he felt like a better fit for Infinite's time period.

But as you said, a small gripe. Troy Baker is very good at what he does.

BraXzy

I'd guess that he will take a short break while DLC that he has pre planned starts to get made, and then he comes back and works with the team on the DLC. And then he takes a long vacation, and then starts thinking in his head the next project (if he hasn't already started doing so)

FINALBOSS

Banned
How much more do I have/how far am I? Kinda don't want it to end.

Just crashed the first Lady airship after the Songbird attacked

Guri

Guys, I'm at the entrance of the Hall of Heroes (where you get the sniper rifle). Is there any way to get to the "Hall of Heroes Maintainance"? The one on the left, you see it going on the skyline and get in front of it if you don't jump to another skyline. I know you can get there, because there's a salt item there!

Syrinx

I'd guess that he will take a short break while DLC that he has pre planned starts to get made, and then he comes back and works with the team on the DLC. And then he takes a long vacation, and then starts thinking in his head the next project (if he hasn't already started doing so)

Have they announced anything about DLC?

And yeah, I'd have to think a long break is in order. He certainly deserves it for all the work he's put in, though I personally have yet to see if the fruits of his labor live up to all that work, but if people here are to be believed it has.

I do have to say that I wouldn't be all that surprised if he left Irrational after all this, though I certainly don't want that to happen.

SmithnCo

Jumping into an easy playthrough to get all the collectibles and miscellaneous combat trophies. Will be nice to not worry about dying, ever, lol.

DatDude

Banned
Have they announced anything about DLC?

And yeah, I'd have to think a long break is in order. He certainly deserves it for all the work he's put in, though I personally have yet to see if the fruits of his labor live up to all that work, but if people here are to be believed it has.

I do have to say that I wouldn't be all that surprised if he left Irrational after all this, though I certainly don't want that to happen.

3 episodes directed by Ken Levine

All about new characters, fleshing out the narrative and lore of Columbia and Infinite. Think Minerva Den Bio2 dlc.

It should sell incredibly well I predict.

Milchjon

Jumping into an easy playthrough to get all the collectibles and miscellaneous combat trophies. Will be nice to not worry about dying, ever, lol.

You never really have to worry about dying on normal either, because of the way you're revived. Still one of my main gripes with the game. For a lesser game, this might have broken it for me.

Hex

Banned
I love the world that they created for this, I love that it is so alive and I love that they did not skirt touchy subjects.
Love this game.

Started it up, and this is the first time I really noticed the quote at the beginning, the effects used at the start menu, and the conversation of the two people on the boat. I have a bad feeling these are pretty blatant hints.

Not sure how I feel about it yet. I fucking hate bloom and it gives me a splitting headache, so there's that. The people are so damnably ugly and so far have like 2 faces a piece, and for some reason this is bugging me, too. I find the bobbing city pretty convincing though, and overall from the animation to the saturday morning serial style dialog, this certainly comes across undeniably Bioshock.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Just started playing it, got about 2 or so hours in. I'm playing on 360 and damn, the game looks phenomenal. I can't even imagine how this game must look on PC since its vistas are blowing me away, and the art design is absolutely impeccable. Initial impressions are that the combat feels better than it did in BS1 and BS2, thank god, and so far the game has managed to keep me immersed in its world. Still, I had to take a break after 2 hours since I was getting a little tired.

Exis

I am probably about half way through, and I love Elizabeth, I love Columbia and the twists so far. While the gameplay is really good, tight and gives a lot of options I am tired of having to be Rambo all the time. It is a bit of an odd disconnect from everything else and I look forward to talking about it in the spoiler thread when I finish it.
I realize an adventure game would not sell half of what this will.

DatDude

Banned
Started it up, and this is the first time I really noticed the quote at the beginning, the effects used at the start menu, and the conversation of the two people on the boat. I have a bad feeling these are pretty blatant hints.

Not sure how I feel about it yet. I fucking hate bloom and it gives me a splitting headache, so there's that. The people are so damnably ugly and so far have like 2 faces a piece, and for some reason this is bugging me, too. I find the bobbing city pretty convincing though, and overall from the animation to the saturday morning serial style dialog, this certainly comes across undeniably Bioshock.

you just started it up?

I thought you were already playing this game based off your comments :/

george_us

360 version here.

Pretty sure the autosave in my game is broken. I've gotten to a point where the autosave icon happens twice in a row yet my progress is never saved. What the hell.

Are there trophies associated with the occasional moral choices you have to make? Does the story change based on what you choose?

So far, I've
attacked the announcer instead of the couple, chose the bird medallion instead of the cage, and then I drew first on the ticket seller when I heard him mention 'the bird'.
. Man, this game just oozes quality and love out of every pore.
Anyone? I just made the decision to
kill Slate instead of sparing him.
. Does any of this have an effect?

Milchjon

Have they given any indication of what the DLC will be like?

I think seeing parts of the game from a different character's perspective would be my preferred direction

I played maybe an hour of Bioshock 2 but I dont remember much aside from the art deco theme. But Bioshock Infinite plays so much like Dishonored. Its not a bad thing but I feel like I've played this game before.

I'm on the first level but I really enjoyed the design of the cloud city/church and the music. it was really something.

olimpia84

Just started this tonight. So far so good, love the colorfulness of Columbia when you first visit the city. The combat system seems to be pretty straightforward and good. Soundtrack is fantastic.

SmithnCo

You never really have to worry about dying on normal either, because of the way you're revived. Still one of my main gripes with the game. For a lesser game, this might have broken it for me.

Playing on hard, some instances definitely took a chunk out of my money, but yeah, you could definitely cheese it, except for a few instances.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Okay, I'm giving this game a 10/10 just for the ending. Thank you for not bullshitting me, Irrational. THAT was an ending. Mother of god.

B33

Banned
Question regarding my progress and remaining time.

I'm in Emporia and I just grabbed "Return to Sender" in a side quest. I'm heading toward Comstock House and I hit the autosave just past the set of turnstiles.

About how much more do I have? A third or so?

Top Bottom