• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
So what's with the dozens of Bookmark saves on the PS3? Is that how Infinite handles the chapter select? By saving each area to it's own file so you can load it up later?

I don't really know what these are for exactly.

DatDude

Banned
Okay, I'm giving this game a 10/10 just for the ending. Thank you for not bullshitting me, Irrational. THAT was an ending. Mother of god.

join us in the spoiler thread, were having alot of fun debating which theory we like the most :)

An there's alot of tears to be shed thanks to some posters as well :'(

Milchjon

Question regarding my progress and remaining time.

I'm in Emporia and I just grabbed "Return to Sender" in a side quest. I'm heading toward Comstock House and I hit the autosave just past the set of turnstiles.

About how much more do I have? A third or so?

I'd say less than a third, but it may just have felt shorter to me because the end is such a ride, it doesn't feel as long as it probably is.

Syrinx

Damn, dangerous to have this thread and the spoiler thread right on top of each other. Was able to avoid reading anything though.

DatDude

Banned
Question regarding my progress and remaining time.

I'm in Emporia and I just grabbed "Return to Sender" in a side quest. I'm heading toward Comstock House and I hit the autosave just past the set of turnstiles.

About how much more do I have? A third or so?

4 hours maybe left.

I'm still rather early on, but I was looking at some screenshots I have taken and it has caused me to speculate.

Speculative spoilers:
The note the debtors leave on the door, this is your LAST CHANCE. Hmm... has Dewitt tried this before? The way you respawn makes me wonder... also the quote about time travel. And the guy shot in the head with the bag over his head in the light tower with the sign on his chest. I wonder how all of this plays into the story? ;)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I wish the game gave a bit more info for the optional missions. I don't want the answers to be blatantly obvious but sometimes it's just "Keep an eye out." At least tell me what area I should be looking in. I just got the keys in the bar in
Shantytown and have gotten the prompt to open the tear
but I don't want to continue without knowing if I can still complete it or not. I'm guessing I can't.

Anton668

things get a lil weird if you make the FOV too large....

iLn840C4tJ9TK.bmp

imndbucTKke8N.bmp

DukeBobby

I wish the game gave a bit more info for the optional missions. I don't want the answers to be blatantly obvious but sometimes it's just "Keep an eye out." At least tell me what area I should be looking in. I just got the keys in the bar in
Shantytown and have gotten the prompt to open the tear
but I don't want to continue without knowing if I can still complete it or not. I'm guessing I can't.

The keys open
a chest on the second floor of the police station

Have they given any indication of what the DLC will be like?

I think seeing parts of the game from a different character's perspective would be my preferred direction

Play as Comstock, clicking on ALL THE SHINY THINGS until you can afford to build a giant floating city

wages

Banned
I guess I'm alone in not really caring for this game. I'm a few hours in and the only shock I've gotten from this game is how disappointing it is. To each their own I suppose.

DukeBobby

I think seeing parts of the game from a different character's perspective would be my preferred direction

I'm hoping
Saltonstall appears in the DLC. He was the first antagonist revealed for the game, but he is absent from the final version, despite his name coming up a few times

I just finished it and I loved it. The game does start off a little slow to immerse you in the world but it does pick up.

Jumping from rail to rail is so satisfying. It reminds me somewhat of jumping/climbing in the original Crackdown.

GavinGT

Banned

I think it has to be different characters. I'm hoping they're little story vignettes that flesh out the numerous areas of the story that didn't get much love. Give me one focusing on vigors, one on Songbird, and maybe one on the engineers.

And the game is built around having a companion, so either Elizabeth returns (I doubt it) or they give you some other companion character to fill her place.
But who else can even open rifts? I guess the Lutece brother/sister would fit the bill. And I sure wouldn't mind delving deeper into their backstory.

How do I switch which two vigors I have available? It's probably something painfully obvious but I can't see anything in the menus.
First, you have slot A and pick a Vigor. This vigor (Vigor A) will remain in your quick select. Secondly, you change to slot B and select a new vigor (Vigor B). Your quick select will then contain Vigor A and Vigor B. If you wish to change Vigor A to something else you then change back to Vigor A/slot A and choose the new Vigor (Vigor C) at which point your quick select will contain Vigor C in slot A and Vigor B in slot B. It isn't exactly like Bioshock where the Vigors you used last are in your quick select which is where I imagine the problem lies. Edit: And you hold down LB to access the Vigor select just in case that's what you were asking and I misinterpreted you.

Anyway I just finished the game and I must say I was highly impressed. Overall I feel it's an exceptional game and I can't think of any significant flaws immediately (maybe as I think more some will reveal themselves though). *Spoiling so I can freely talk about everything until the end of the game so don't highlight until you finish the game*
I'm going to be brief and say that while I did enjoy Bioshock's setting and characters more than Infinite's (but only slightly), I felt Infinite had a more consistent plot (while I don't think the highs were nearly as good as Bioshock's, the lows were not as low either) and better pacing. Overall though, the plot and setting were terrific and the characters were still very good. I kind of found the getting the guns a bit draged out initially but after stepping through the tear my reservations were gone. With regards to the end I felt Comstock being Brooker felt a bit obvious (but how that came to be I could have never guessed) but everything about the ending was delivered exceptionally well. One of my favourite video game endings beside Shadow of the Colossus (for now anyway, maybe this'll change when I think more later).

In terms of gameplay, I would have liked some more Vigors (the lack of a Target Dummy and Enrage equivalent in particular was something that struck me since they were by far my most used Plasmids and I was disappointed there wasn't really anything similar, Possession, while close, was held back by only being active on one enemy at a time) but I was still happy with the experminentation that was available; I put almost all of my money into the Vigors rarely relying upon the guns. I'm annoyed by lack of New Game Plus (that I can see) though. I would have enjoyed going back through the game once more to further experiment with the Vigors and weapons before trying 1999 mode but it seems that's not possible unfortunately. Also, I loved the sound design in the game. The soundtrack was excellent. The only 'issue' (and it's very minor) I had was Booker's voice and it's not that the actor was bad I just felt he didn't fit the setting as much as the others did (I'm not even sure why I feel this way though).
I can't wait to replay it.

Jafku

Oh I know, I realise that, I just think it's a shame that people are actively seeking out the code to play it like that on their first playthrough.

It's ultimately souring their overall enjoyment of the game, but they only really have themselves to blame.
Idk about that. While im not too far in, 1999 mode is pretty fun, but very challenging.

KingKong

This game is alright but I'm not a fan of the cloud city, it doesn't feel like a city at all, way too linear and just playing through a level you're going through a bunch of random floating ships. It feels nothing like Rapture

lingiii

Banned
So I'm playing on Hard and having no shortage of troubs.

a) it's like pretty difficult. I'm trying to spec melee-heavy but the game just is not good at all about situational awareness, I always get snuck up on and killed by someone while giving a dude the smack-down and it's always a frustrating surprise. maybe I'll bump it down, or start trying to approach things differently.

b) the whole business of "quests" is completely opaque. found some graffiti on the wall and it said "find the book to translate it!" and I said "well fuck. is the book in this room? is it on this island? will I find it three hours later and come back here?" not a damn clue. same with chests. there's some super early on, like right when you learn lockpicks are a thing, that requires 5 picks and I'm pretty sure it's only possible to have like 3 at that point. will I be back here again? should I take this as a clue that I've missed something?

c) multiple times I've walked up on a group of dudes from behind and they've turned around and started shooting me. how was I supposed to know they were enemies and not just NPCs? if there was any reason to expect combat just there, I would've made use of this drop I have on them instead of just bumbling in.

plot and narrative and art and sound design all aside, I feel like this game's doing a real bad job of communicating basic things about it's structure to me, which is frustrating.

yeah, I'm not sure if I'm enjoying where the story is going with
all these different 'dimensions'
but I am well into the game now and the pacing is great as well as the shootouts and I am loving all the different locals I am in, and that's the most important part.

Just finished my first playthrough, for better or worse went with 1999 mode from the get go. Took me 16 hours roughly. Only particulary difficult bit was
Ghost of Lady Comstock, a billion hp
, rest wasn't too bad. Did the finale battle in one go.

Great game, pacing goes a bit wobbly in the middle, but gets back together near the end. Ending gave me more questions than answers.

FUCK THAT BADDY

Jesus, playing on hard and I got their health down to practically 0 and I take a rocket to the face, respawn and they have over 50% health back, no more items on the field, die 5 more times and they have 80% health...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Oh, man the story is getting nuts now. How much farther do I have to go? Trying to gauge how much to play tonight since I don't want to rush to the end or be too tired to enjoy the end.

Just went through the tear in the police station and came out during the Vox Revolution.

Oh, man the story is getting nuts now. How much farther do I have to go? Trying to gauge how much to play tonight since I don't want to rush to the end or be too tired to enjoy the end.

Just went through the tear in the police station and came out during the Vox Revolution.

Quite a way to go

and it gets a lot more nuts than that

You have awhile to go my friend.

Syrinx

I should be resting up for a test I have tomorrow morning. But all I can think of is how I'll be playing this game tomorrow. Sooooooo psyched.

It's 11:30pm at night, I'm very tired from a long day and a two-and-a-half hour drive. But BioShock Infinite is installed on my 360, and I am ready to play this game!

Wooo

Hoping to finish tomorrow, starting around 1PM and probably going to marathon through. I hope the ending isn't being hyped up too much, but the game's done such a great job at pretty much everything that it's probably just as good as everyone's saying.

One small complaint is that some of the NPC's have really fake, dead looking eyes, it's even more distracting to me than the uncanny valley stuff games with realistic graphics can have. It's like they were painted on in a hurry with, like, one coat of cheap paint. I'm afraid to go to Google Images because of spoilers to find an example of what I mean. They look like Duke and Dimwit.

-PXG-

Just thought I'd post my config post here, from the PC thread

So I basically eliminated all the stuttering. Yes, virtually all of it. No noticeable stuttering or frame drops. I got this shit locked down at a smooth 60 fps.

My config:

PXG's Bioshock Infinite XEngine

I've made a lot of changes to this (too many to list), including setting bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming to FALSE. It's known that changing that line can cause major issues to scripting. So keep it as is at your own risk. In the event you do run into a problem, just exit it the game, set the value to True and reload your game. You should be fine. I only had one issue early in the game. Since then I've had smooth sailing. Once in a while, a few shadows will pop in, but I think those are just bugs in the game that aren't necessarily caused by changes to the config.

I'm downsampling the game from 2560 x 1440 to 1080p.

I'm using mrhandi's SMAA injectors. You can find them here. Follow the included instructions. Mine are set to Ultra. I've heard that FXAA interferes with SMAA, so I turned it off. For some reason, AA is seems to be disabled in screens, but it most definitely looks much better in real-time.

Anyway, Mostly everything is set to Ultra. Dynamic shadows are on High. Very high doesn't yield much a difference and Ultra is too blurry for my liking. Alternate Post Processing doesn't seem to do much besides lower performance a bit, so I turned that off. AO....yuck. I hate how it looks. I turned it off completely. It's a lame effect that has takes a big hit to your performance. It's not worth it.

I did not add any launch options through Steam. Adding -ReadTexturePoolFromIni gave me a lot of issues. I don't recommend using it. I suggest letting the game calculate texture pool size on it's own. Forcing the wrong number can lead to odd things, such as pop in or even worse performance. Leave it alone. Even if you mess with the value in XEngine, nothing will happen unless you add -ReadTexturePoolFromIni in Steam.

In the XEngine find

[TextureStreaming]
PoolSize=400

Default = 400
1024 MB of VRAM = 600
2048 MB of VRAM = 1200
ect....You get the point

I mistakenly left mine on 1024. You can change it.

Basically, every 512 MB of VRAM is 300.

Inspector Settings

CMe9rNO.jpg

Thanks to maldo, I changed the SLI compatibility bit from the one included with the latest driver. This helped performance. Most people set their pre-rendered frames to 1. I set it to 3. Why not?

I'm on NVIDIA 314.22 beta drivers.

Let me know your results.

Are there trophies associated with the occasional moral choices you have to make? Does the story change based on what you choose?

So far, I've
attacked the announcer instead of the couple, chose the bird medallion instead of the cage, and then I drew first on the ticket seller when I heard him mention 'the bird'.
. Man, this game just oozes quality and love out of every pore.

Anyone? I just made the decision to
kill Slate instead of sparing him.
. Does any of this have an effect?

Seriously. Anyone? Anyone?

ben-stein-565x303.jpg

Top Bottom