• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Just thought I'd post my config post here, from the PC thread

So I basically eliminated all the stuttering. Yes, virtually all of it. No noticeable stuttering or frame drops. I got this shit locked down at a smooth 60 fps.

My config:

PXG's Bioshock Infinite XEngine

I've made a lot of changes to this (too many to list), including setting bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming to FALSE. It's known that changing that line can cause major issues to scripting. So keep it as is at your own risk. In the event you do run into a problem, just exit it the game, set the value to True and reload your game. You should be fine. I only had one issue early in the game. Since then I've had smooth sailing. Once in a while, a few shadows will pop in, but I think those are just bugs in the game that aren't necessarily caused by changes to the config.

I'm downsampling the game from 2560 x 1440 to 1080p.

I'm using mrhandi's SMAA injectors. You can find them here. Follow the included instructions. Mine are set to Ultra. I've heard that FXAA interferes with SMAA, so I turned it off. For some reason, AA is seems to be disabled in screens, but it most definitely looks much better in real-time.

Anyway, Mostly everything is set to Ultra. Dynamic shadows are on High. Very high doesn't yield much a difference and Ultra is too blurry for my liking. Alternate Post Processing doesn't seem to do much besides lower performance a bit, so I turned that off. AO....yuck. I hate how it looks. I turned it off completely. It's a lame effect that has takes a big hit to your performance. It's not worth it.

I did not add any launch options through Steam. Adding -ReadTexturePoolFromIni gave me a lot of issues. I don't recommend using it. I suggest letting the game calculate texture pool size on it's own. Forcing the wrong number can lead to odd things, such as pop in or even worse performance. Leave it alone. Even if you mess with the value in XEngine, nothing will happen unless you add -ReadTexturePoolFromIni in Steam.

In the XEngine find

Default = 400
1024 MB of VRAM = 600
2048 MB of VRAM = 1200
ect....You get the point

I mistakenly left mine on 1024. You can change it.

Basically, every 512 MB of VRAM is 300.

Inspector Settings

CMe9rNO.jpg

Thanks to maldo, I changed the SLI compatibility bit from the one included with the latest driver. This helped performance. Most people set their pre-rendered frames to 1. I set it to 3. Why not?

I'm on NVIDIA 314.22 beta drivers.

Let me know your results.

Using your XEngine file seems to be solid 60fps from the little I tested cheers. Not using the injectors though I use RadeonPro for that.

LiK

If you enjoy the ending (which I don't know, since your a strange breed of gamer), than this will probably just to at least a 7.5 if not 8 for you.

But I'm not sure if you even care about the narrative so it might be moot for you.

if Derrick can't even find joy about the ending then all hope is lost and he should quit gaming.

wasn't that hard, tbh. you should be powerful enough at that point with your various Vigor abilities to take out the groups easily. use
Songbird
whenever it's available and you're good to go.

That's what I'm hearing. I'm playing on Normal and yes, the game has been an absolute breeze, so it's not that it's hard; it's more that I only gave it two attempts, both ending in a
destroyed Zeppelin/failure
and I just didn't want to do it again. It's not fun. It's too chaotic.

Anyway, I know I'm doing it wrong, so I'll give it another go; it's just a shitty segment. I hate all forms of defence gameplay. On top of that, the game is feeling absolutely too drawn out. I stopped playing for enjoyment hours ago. I just want it over.

Derrick01

Banned
Yay 6/10!

That's like almost passing!

Well I'm far from finished so it could change either way still :p.

Today's been such a shit hole that I haven't really had more than an hour or two to sit down and just play something. Hopefully I can really do it tomorrow. Usually with games less than 20 hours long I can finish them in a day or two after release unless they're just really terrible and I don't feel like putting 4 hour stretches in, which this game is not.

DatDude

Banned
i'm honestly getting tired of clearing out areas finding an item in a small room and then leaving said room to find that SAME AREA full of more enemies.

I'm getting cod4 and 5 vibes and anger, of deal with this recurring enemy shit.

just play it on an easy so they die with 1 bullet if there getting in the way in terms of your exploration and enjoyment of the game.

LiK

That's what I'm hearing. I'm playing on Normal and yes, the game has been an absolute breeze, so it's not that it's hard; it's more that I only gave it two attempts, both ending in a

Anyway, I know I'm doing it wrong, so I'll give it another go; it's just a shitty segment. I hate all forms of defence gameplay. On top of that, the game is feeling absolutely too drawn out. I stopped playing for enjoyment hours ago. I just want it over.

oh, just focus on the Patriots whenever they pop up. they do the most damage. wait for
Songbird's cooldown to reset and hit those Zepps asap. they keep respawning the Patriots. i switched between possessing one and zapping the other one in the pair. kill the grunts with the Crows.

Not saying, other than that I have significant work in Boardwalk, Finkton, Emporia, and the last level.

loved it all. thanks bro.

Vire

That part was probably my favorite combat sequence in the entire game.

It took advantage of every major gameplay component sprinkled with something new.

But I beat it on my first try, so I could see how that could be frustrating doing it again and again.

nib95

Banned
Only 2-3 hours in so far, but I'm not blown away. In-fact, I've found it somewhat repetitive and uninspired. Walk around admiring the absolutely stupidly stunning environments, and then face a barrage of enemies, followed by rinse repeat. Now I know this is classic gaming trope 101, but I guess I just expected more from this game based on the reviews etc. The opening was very strong mind, and the world and art is mesmerising. I just hope it opens up a bit later on, getting less obvious and moving away from this thus far rather basic formulae.

wages

Banned
1. How far are you first off.

2. What don't you like so far?

3. What games do you normally enjoy playing

1) I just finished dealing with Slate.

2) Graphics (playing on console) gunplay, AI, UI, overall gameplay and the story is boring thus far, not nearly as immersive as I was told.

3) I play anything that's fun. The only exception being sports games.

Raxus

I am terribly confused. Can you give a better description on where you are at in the game. I only can think of a handful of instances where you placed on the defense and the part you are at you can easily take the offense.
2) Graphics (playing on console) gunplay, AI, UI, overall gameplay and the story is boring thus far, not nearly as immersive as I was told.

So, everything? Can't you be a bit more descriptive.

Only 2-3 hours in so far, but I'm not blown away. In-fact, I've found it somewhat repetitive and uninspired. Walk around admiring the absolutely stupidly stunning environments, and then face a barrage of enemies, followed by rinse repeat. Now I know this is classic gaming trope 101, but I guess I just expected more from this game based on the reviews etc. The opening was very strong mind, and the world and art is mesmerising. I just hope it opens up a bit later on, getting less obvious and moving away from this thus far rather basic formulae.

It opens up, but only just a bit. It's still clearing room after room of dudes. With your skillset and in the context of the narrative, they're more enjoyable, but it's AAA FPS 101 stuff throughout. The RPG kind of elements are a bit meh, tbh

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I love just walking around with Elizabeth and watching her interact with things. It's quite magical. I haven't felt this way about a game in a while.

I still don't know how I feel about the combat though, I feel like all I'm doing is crows -> shoot -> crows -> shoot -> crows -> win. Then again I'm only about 3 hours into the game so hopefully that will change.

DatDude

Banned
Not saying, other than that I have significant work in Boardwalk, Finkton, Emporia, and the last level.

Great job dude!

Question, as a developer, do you, do the studio in general get nervous when that review embargo releases?

An did you expect this type of reception that you've already received?

Vire

It was you wasn't it.

This was payback for all those years of angry forum posts on the internet.

I did really really like
boarding the Zeppelin through the skyline part though, not sure if that classifies as Finkton

Fjordson

3-4 hours in or somewhere around there. Loving everything about it, but I have a question.

Do they get into some details about how the city is run? About how it sustains itself? Where they get food for the restaurants and stuff, materials for clothes and buildings, etc. It's a fairly insignificant question I know, but I keep wondering about how it all works with them being separated from America and everything.

A simple yes or no works if the full answer would spoil the general plot.

LiK

3-4 hours in or somewhere around there. Loving everything about it, but I have a question.

Do they get into some details about how the city is run? About how it sustains itself? Where they get food for the restaurants and stuff, materials for clothes and buildings, etc. It's a fairly insignificant question I know, but I keep wondering about how it all works with them being separated from America and everything.

yes

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I just reached the
Vox part, where you're tossed off the airship
. Really enjoying it so far, and the Move works pretty well, although mixing melee and gunplay and lead to the camera getting thrown all out of whack.

I can't tell I'm really going to wish there was a New Game+, so that I can continue upgrading the vigors and guns and do more experimenting with them. I also just like those modes so that you can continue collecting logs and whatnot, without starting fresh.

FartOfWar

Banned
Great job dude!

Question, as a developer, do you, do the studio in general get nervous when that review embargo releases?

An did you expect this type of reception that you've already received?

Of course I was nervous because you never know. When you're a dev all you see is faults. You have to experience the joy vicariously, at least for a while. So everyone who has enjoyed it has made me happy.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I take the incessant inquiries about progress relative to the end to mean you don't want it to end.
Pretty much. I already feel like I've played through several entire games already and don't want to leave the world.

I wound up leaving off for the night at
Emporia

Gorillaz

I'm not even done yet but yes they mention it a little down the road

Fjordson

Thanks!

This is really one of the most interesting settings for a game that I can remember. I'm sure there's been a floating city in some game that I'm overlooking right now, but it's so well realized here. Even smaller touches like having the buildings lightly bob up and down does wonders for making Columbia feel believable. Seems like an obvious touch, but not all developers pay this much attention to detail.

Does anyone else feel like the combat sections feel like multiplayer at times (in a good way).

I'm about 4 hours in and when you are skyhooking and trying to get behind/outflank/
have elizabeth bring turrets/patriot machines/etc. into existence
it just feels so widescale like a multiplayer match with a
big map/"vehicles"

I'm being careful with spoiler tagging - probably too much - it's just about gameplay that is introduced.

Sissel

I said that same thing (the comment you quoted) in the TR OT, although I find this game to be MUCH better than that. We're talking like a 6/10 right now which is fairly good for my tough standards.
you also gave Spec Ops a 6/10 right? I think it was you. Good to see Bioshock Infinite is good enough to hang with that game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I think we're on the same wave length here. I guess I almost expected this to exceed typical gaming tropes for whatever reason, but it falls into many of them.

FartOfWar

Banned
Does anyone else feel like the combat sections feel like multiplayer at times (in a good way).

I'm about 4 hours in and when you are skyhooking and trying to get behind/outflank/
have elizabeth bring turrets/patriot machines/etc. into existence
it just feels so widescale like a multiplayer match with a
big map/"vehicles"

I'm being careful with spoiler tagging - probably too much - it's just about gameplay that is introduced.

The best combat you'll ever experience is multiplayer, so that's a massive compliment.

Circle T

I have a request for anyone with access to the PC version, or maybe Shawn?

Can someone extract the little jingle sound that the Salt Machine plays when you're near it? I really want that for a notification ringtone for my phone. I'm currently playing on 360, so I can't do this myself. Thanks

Oooo. I loved Finkton.

As I was playing through near the end though
I couldn't stop thinking about how I would have loved to have seen Emporia before it was all wrecked and similar to the beginning of the game all pretty like.

Vire

Of course I was nervous because you never know. When you're a dev all you see is faults. You have to experience the joy vicariously, at least for a while. So everyone who has enjoyed it has made me happy.

Which makes you happier, a 96 on Metacritic or a glowing 6/10 from Derrick?

DatDude

Banned

Well just know that you guys have a really special group of people at Irrational. A REALLY special group.

Everything you do in the gaming space is just simply a cut above everyone else. An not just a little bit, but a fucking light years.

What you guys did with Infinite literally shits on almost nearly all the games released this gen. Bravo guys...Now here hopes it sells a shit ton of copies
I'm sure it will too :)

Not me, although I like that.

Maybe I wasn't using my vigors properly, and I ran out of carbine rounds, but that was an aggravating sequence.

And it stands out because it was the only instance so far where you can make a legit claim that the way the room was laid out and the enemy behaviors it encouraged were unfair.

gdt

My god.......that ending! Jesus fuck! I need to digest this thing. Just...one if the best ending ever....definitely. Mass effect 1 might been topped here.

Derrick01

Banned
you also gave Spec Ops a 6/10 right?

I don't think I gave a score when I talked about it but yeah a 6 or 7 sounds about right for my enjoyment level of the game. I really liked what they attempted with story but I could not ignore the gameplay faults (even if I don't slam that part as much as others) to give it a 8 or 9.

I only kind of like both parts in this game but I've been told where I'm at is basically the 35%-40% mark of the game so there's still so much to see.

Voice of Reason said:
Can we have a "Derrick reviews" thread?

I was just answering a question but I'll stop if people ask. I don't like writing a lot anyway :p

Vire said:
Which makes you happier, a 96 on Metacritic or a glowing 6/10 from Derrick?

I doubt him or his studio gets a bonus for anything I say :lol

IMACOMPUTA

I feel so bad that you're on the other side now and can't experience this the way we all have. Great work though.

FartOfWar

Banned
Well just know that you guys have a really special group of people at Irrational. A REALLY special group.

Everything you do in the gaming space is just simply a cut above everyone else. An not just a little bit, but a fucking light years.

What you guys did with Infinite literally shits on almost nearly all the games released this gen. Bravo guys...Now here hopes it sells a shit ton of copies
I'm sure it will too :)

DatDude, you have made it all worthwhile over the course of this thread.

Top Bottom