• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Vire

Awareness of my impending vacation time!

Haha, congrats and enjoy it. I'm sure it's been a long haul, but I really do appreciate the blood, sweat and tears that went into this. It shows throughout the game.

If only Infinite came out BEFORE Mass Effect 3. Maybe the ending for 3 wouldn't have been such shit...

nib95

Banned
I think we're on the same wave length here. I guess I almost expected this to exceed typical gaming tropes for whatever reason, but it falls into many of them.

I think it might be more entertaining once I get Elizabeth. I always find games such as this work better when you have other characters to bounce off of, and project the narrative in more subtle ways. That and the upgrades and expanse of new Vigor's and skills.

It's weird, because a lot of games like Tomb Raider etc get slated for being linear, but from what I've played, Infinite is also actually quite linear (so far). There's an illusion of being open (just like TR), but it's actually not. There's always only one pre defined way to go, with the branches off being ultimately inconsequential. Not saying that's necessarily a negative mind, because the world they've constructed is absolutely full of rich atmosphere and visual reward.

Vire

I think it might be more entertaining once I get Elizabeth. I always find games such as this work better when you have other characters to bounce off of, and project the narrative in more subtle ways. That and the upgrades and expanse of new Vigor's and skills.

It's weird, because a lot of games like Tomb Raider etc get slated for being linear, but from what I've played, Infinite is also actually quite linear (so far). There's an illusion of being open (just like TR), but it's actually not. There's always only one pre defined way to go, with the branches off being ultimately inconsequential.

Um... like Bioshock?
So I'm moving on from Bioshock Infinite to Dead Space 3. The difference in narrative is night and day.

KornheiserWhy.jpg

FartOfWar

Banned

It's weird, because a lot of games like Tomb Raider etc get slated for being linear, but from what I've played, Infinite is also actually quite linear (so far). There's an illusion of being open (just like TR), but it's actually not. There's always only one pre defined way to go, with the branches off being ultimately inconsequential.

Always your call to make, but I do know that the because there's so much to teach players, the game starts small and increases in complexity (both in geometry and systems) over time.

nib95

Banned
Um... like Bioshock?

I dunno, I found parts of Bioshock quite open. In-fact, I got a bit overwhelmed/lost in areas. Such as the garden area with all the psychedelic plantation and art. So many different routes to take, little rooms to explore etc.

It's weird, because a lot of games like Tomb Raider etc get slated for being linear, but from what I've played, Infinite is also actually quite linear (so far). There's an illusion of being open (just like TR), but it's actually not. There's always only one pre defined way to go, with the branches off being ultimately inconsequential. Not saying that's necessarily a negative mind, because the world they've constructed is absolutely full of rich atmosphere and visual reward.

That's because the critics didn't fully articulate why BioShock's approach to linear game design is better than say, CoD.

baphomet

Can someone give me an idea of about how far I am in the game? Or about how long I might have left?

I'm
in shantytown to find mr lin's equipment at the impound or whatever.

Thanks in advance.

Vire

I dunno, I found parts of Bioshock quite open. In-fact, I got a bit overwhelmed/lost in areas. Such as the garden area with all the psychedelic plantation and art. So many different routes to take, little rooms to explore etc.

I think it's different than you remember (nostalgia glasses and all that) because it's about as linear as the first game.

DatDude

Banned

Realize that Arcadia was nearly the 40% mark in the game.

Where you are is akin to the Welcome to the Rapture stage.

It opens up as it goes along similar to Bioshock. Just keep trucking a bit, if linearity is your issue.

prophecy0

I may have to drop the difficulty down from Hard to Medium. I just got past the Hall of Heroes.
The fight against the multiple Mechanical Patriots was just plain frustrating. Possession barely lasted on them, it was very difficult to get behind them with 2 (or 3?) attacking me at once, and the arena felt very cramped.

The hard difficulty is a lot of fun when there's human enemies, but as soon as the game throws damage sponges at you it gets a lot less fun.

Crows=Best power in the game Bar none. I feel bad for the other powers because I crow all day e'ry day.

As soon as I got the upgrade that drops crows nests after effected enemies died I've been tearing shit up. It's not even fair

The Hand Cannon is boss too. That with the gear that sends out shocks when you kill enemies them with excessive force; the headshots are satisfying as fuck.

Vire

Nope. Story talk is on you. : ) Down the line, the Irrational Behavior podcast might discuss interesting topics related to the development of the game though.

I'm okay with this, I don't know if I want a rundown of the ending from Levine...

Could you comment at all on the DLC though and how that fits in for Season Pass owners?

FartOfWar

Banned
I may have to drop the difficulty down from Hard to Medium. I just got past the Hall of Heroes.
The fight against the multiple Mechanical Patriots was just plain frustrating. Possession barely lasted on them, it was very difficult to get behind them with 2 (or 3?) attacking me at once, and the arena felt very cramped.

The hard difficulty is a lot of fun when there's human enemies, but as soon as the game throws damage sponges at you it gets a lot less fun.

Play for enjoyment. If you stop having fun, dial it down.

antitrop

The Goods
------
+++
-The Combat is fantastic, throughout. I played on Medium and had great time in each battle using a variety of
strategies. Different vigors, different weapons.
-The Skyhook and the Skyrails in combat are one of the most innovative FPS mechanics in years.
-The Vigors are far more useful and fun than Bioshock 1.
-The narrative was great. Strapped to my seat the entire time, never lost my attention.
-NO QTES

-Elizabeth is an adorable character. A few issues affect the immersion factor of her character in the world,
but she was a joy to have on the ride. I didn't even mind her throwing coins at me and shit.
-The graphics. Played on PC and the game looked marvelous. I hold it in the absolute highest of regards. It
still looked and ran great after some tweaking and despite some issues that will need patching it was a top of
the line experience.
-Level design is phenomenal. Each arena for combat is a playground of options and the sky hooks are wonderful
method of transportation around them. It's always fun for the rollercoaster ride, and the effectiveness of the
pounce attack coming off one is too much to ignore.
-The ending. Jaw was on the floor for the moment everyone will be talking about this year.
-The ability to create a world. Columbia is a wonderful place, every bit as good as Rapture. It's great to have
a Bioshock world that is still alive.

-The opening is the best of the generation. The entry into Columbia is memorable.
-Sound design is second to none. Voice acting was fantastic across the board. Still had that Bioshock feel, and
I loved the vending machines. I know that was you, Ken.
-The music was incredible. All of it, meticulously placed for effectiveness.

The Downs
-------
----
-Minor pc port issues. Stuttering, odd default config values, etc.
-Elizabeth's integeration into the world isnt entirely believable. Teleporting is obvious and pervasive. Her
range of dialogue is rather limited. She is a wonderful character, but a few technical issues hold her back
from truly being the greatest companion. Reminds me of creepy Watson.
-Save system is ridiculous.
-Felt an hour or so longer than it needed to be. There was a bit at the end where I was surprised it kept going.

10/10

Only Ken

nib95

Banned
Realize that Arcadia was nearly the 40% mark in the game.

Where you are is akin to the Welcome to the Rapture stage.

It opens up as it goes along similar to Bioshock. Just keep trucking a bit, if linearity is your issue.

I will. I know mentioned I did find it a tad repetitive, but I'm also wanting to jump straight back in, so it's doing something right. I think for me it's partly the world and elements of intrigue it and the narrative conjure. It's a rather unique setting with a very unusual concept for a game, tackling elements of religion, new world orders, racism, utopia mixed with dystopia etc, and that definitely has my interest piqued.

Gorillaz

Possession doesn't do shit most of the time to them. Just spam shock and shoot from a distance.

Riposte

I don't really have THAT much of a problem with it, but this game seriously paints the world in a pretty simplistic manner and that wasn't what I was expecting from the hype. It is basically "go kill these racist assholes, they don't even deserve their flying city really. oh they are also crazy fanatical mormons, you are probably atheist, so go wild with that too". All the while Booker, who we in the 21st century need to relate to, is a product of the same era is somehow above that nonsense despite just being a dumb soldier/thug/brooding drunk(?) who really shouldn't know better (not that he is righteous or anything, he is just clearly apathetic and guilty, because that fits the game's cynical tone I guess and can be contrasted with the naive, innocent Elizabeth). I haven't reached that point yet, but I know the Vox will also be revealed to be assholes, because the world is messed up man.

That being said, it is not like explicit racism in all its grotesqueness is commonly displayed in videogames. So it is at least novel.

prophecy0

Play for enjoyment. If you stop having fun, dial it down.

When I play tomorrow I think I will drop the difficulty down. I want to really enjoy this superbly crafted world that you and the rest of the folks at Irrational have put together without having to worry about dying over and over.

Also, to echo what others in the thread have said: Thank you all for working so hard on Infinite. The game world oozes character and every nook and cranny feels like it has been meticulously created to help tell a story.

FartOfWar

Banned
I don't really have THAT much of a problem with it, but this game seriously paints the world in a pretty simplistic manner and that wasn't what I was expecting from the hype. It is basically "go kill these racist assholes, they don't even deserve their flying city really. oh they are also crazy fanatical mormons, you are probably atheist, so go wild with that too". All the while Booker, who we in the 21st century need to relate to, is a product of the same era is somehow above that nonsense despite just being a dumb soldier/thug/brooding drunk(?) who really shouldn't know better (not that he is righteous or anything, he is just clearly apathetic and guilty, because that fits the game's cynical tone I guess and can be contrasted with the naive, innocent Elizabeth). I haven't reached that point yet, but I know the Vox will also be revealed to be assholes, because the world is messed up man.

That being said, it is not like explicit racism in all its grotesqueness is commonly displayed in videogames. So it is at least novel.

Keep playing, keep posting.

LiK

Mean nothing next to your enjoyment. I'm in the minority but they have always been utterly irrelevant to me.

i don't care for them either these days, tbh. altho i will totally replay on 360 and try to find all the Voxophones this time for the lore.

Guess Who

Banned
I don't really have THAT much of a problem with it, but this game seriously paints the world in a pretty simplistic manner and that wasn't what I was expecting from the hype. It is basically "go kill these racist assholes, they don't even deserve their flying city really. oh they are also crazy fanatical mormons, you are probably atheist, so go wild with that too".

That really wasn't what I got from it at all. I don't think the game was trying to make any sort of comment on the religious or racist nature of the city, or explore that theme - it just is, that's the sort of place you're at, and exploring the meaning and nuance behind that isn't really plot-relevant. It's less historical fiction, more
sci-fi, and an exploration of Booker and Elizabeth's relationship, not as much about Columbia per se as Bioshock 1 may have been about Rapture.

Top Bottom