• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Gorillaz

Possession on turrets/mosquitos are life savers.

against turrets and fire/suicide bomber types are perfect. Against those you-know-what tho never work :(

Thank you. Accommodating the vast range of players out there with difficulty settings has got to be among the biggest challenges. No shame no matter the setting. Meet us in the middle and choose the setting that keeps it fun for you.

You guys definitely knocked it out of the park so far. I'm probably done for the night since I have class but this game is really something special.

FartOfWar

Banned
When I play tomorrow I think I will drop the difficulty down. I want to really enjoy this superbly crafted world that you and the rest of the folks at Irrational have put together without having to worry about dying over and over.

Also, to echo what others in the thread have said: Thank you all for working so hard on Infinite. The game world oozes character and every nook and cranny feels like it has been meticulously created to help tell a story.

Thank you. Accommodating the vast range of players out there with difficulty settings has got to be among the biggest challenges. No shame no matter the setting. Meet us in the middle and choose the setting that keeps it fun for you.

Riposte

Keep playing, keep posting.

I'm done for tonight, but I think I'll finish the game tomorrow. Btw, I'm not saying the story is bad or anything (I just know there is some crazy space-time business underneath all this and I'm all about crazy). Just that it lays it on thick (which I also compliment as being new ground if nothing else).

Mean nothing next to your enjoyment. I'm in the minority but they have always been utterly irrelevant to me.

I don't know. When I've taken the time to learn the mechanics of the combat, and made it pretty far into one particular difficulty, having to turn it back down can be pretty demoralizing.

That part was probably my favorite combat sequence in the entire game.

It took advantage of every major gameplay component sprinkled with something new.

But I beat it on my first try, so I could see how that could be frustrating doing it again and again.

I did it, y'all. Look, I overstated the difficulty. I did it on my 3rd try in the end. I didn't find it fun, though; and probably never will.

Anyway, my head is full of fuck now.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I don't know. When I've taken the time to learn the mechanics of the combat, and made it pretty far into one particular difficulty, having to turn it back down can be pretty demoralizing.

Yeah, I agree. If I am smoothly making it through the game and hit a brick wall, I would never be able to just turn it down. Taking a break, instead, can usually do wonders.

FartOfWar

Banned

I understand where you're coming from, and negating achievements based on changing settings frames the change as though it's a cop out or inauthentic - which is a real pity to me.

LOVING this game. It's just magical. The atmosphere/environments/story/voice acting/mechanics/etc...I don't think there is a single thing about it I'm not loving.

DatDude

Banned
I did it, y'all. Look, I overstated the difficulty. I did it on my 3rd try in the end. I didn't find it fun, though; and probably never will.

Anyway, my head is full of fuck now.

Finished the game, including the part after the credits?

If so join us in the spoiler thread for any questions you have :)

Playing this on Hard has been really fun and rewarding, but damn if
"The Siren"
fights aren't insanely frustrating. Am I missing something? In the second one, I had to keep running to the vending machine and restocking beacause I used up all my ammo three times on it.

-Elizabeth's integeration into the world isnt entirely believable. Teleporting is obvious and pervasive. Her
range of dialogue is rather limited. She is a wonderful character, but a few technical issues hold her back.
Really? I've not seen any teleporting, She moves faster on skyhook rails while following you to catch up, even having an animation where she jumps onto them but I've never seen her outright teleport. She might run a little fast to get to cover behind you but I don't think I've seen anything plainly obvious. She has a lot of dialogue too, especially if you explore every room in the game where she talks about interesting paintings in the room and notes or newspapers on a desk. Though her most important dialogue is in the main quest line.

FartOfWar (Shawn), please get Irrational Behavior going again! You guys and the Bungie podcast are my favorites but it's been pretty depressing without the updates.

To add to everybody here though, thank you for sticking it through and making the product it needed to be rather than rushing something out. My roommate even sat and watched me play for over an hour yesterday and he doesn't even like games! The more I get through the more I enjoy it.

Man, the NPC clones are killing any amount of immersion I might have. It's just so glaring and in your face.

It's interesting that you say that. I notice it with the enemies, but that's to be expected. However, I've never noticed cloned non-combat NPCs before. I'm sure they're there, they just haven't stuck out to me like they do in other games.

I understand where you're coming from, and negating achievements based on changing settings frames the change as though it's a cop out or inauthentic - which is a real pity to me.

It's more like, when you play a demanding multiplayer game like CS or DotA, you feel like you've made a lot of progress in the weeks/months since you picked it up, but then you go on a horrible losing streak and all you can say is, "why do I fucking suck at this game?"

That's what outrageous difficulty spikes are in a nutshell to me. I put in the effort to learn this game, and the game has basically acknowledged that to a certain extent. And then bam, it basically says, "btw,
that's not nearly good enough."

Not that BioShock's got many of those like the insane bullshit you get in the original Half-Life. But they're still there from time to time.

DTKT

It's interesting that you say that. I notice it with the enemies, but that's to be expected. However, I've never noticed cloned non-combat NPCs before. I'm sure they're there, they just haven't stuck out to me like they do in other games.

I tend to explore every room and I look at every group of person to see if there are any dialogue triggers.

I might be over exposing myself to the NPC, but it's a shame that there isn't a bit more variations.

Toa TAK

Banned
Just finished it for the first time on Hard mode. Game was a blast to play through. Beyond that, I don't think there's much else to say that hasn't already been said. The final combat scenario was a pain, but rewarding in it's challenge. Second would be
the Siren/Liz's mom fights.

Again, awesome story.
Flipped out when we visited a very familiar location, and my mind is thoroughly fucked after the credits.

1999 mode, here we go.

Man, I feel like the bucking bronco vigor doesn't get enough love. It's great. I find myself using it more than shock.

I just stopped playing for the night, I turned it off when I got to
the factory after the Vox take your airship.

I assume I'm at like...mid-game?

I'm not sure how I feel about the Elizabeth finding stuff mechanic. On the one hand, it's GREAT to basically never have to worry about salts or ammo. On the other, it makes it kinda easy.

But I guess the good part about that is that it's letting me just enjoy the combat.

Appleman

I have a very fond memory of having to skip the Bioshock spoiler discussion with Shawn at the end of one of the GFW Podcasts and then going back after I'd beaten the game and listening to his thoughts on it. It's funny seeing him get to actually work on the sequel, and the game turned out to be exceptional.

Bioshock was probably my favourite game this generation, and halfway through this I'm thinking Infinite may be even better. Irrational really has made two of the finest games ever made, congrats.

Karak

I am so happy I am doing this as a walkthrough. I didn't enjoy the first games but this one is just excellent. Something about it just feels right.

If anyone wants to randomly watch a coger fail a couple hundred times and cuss feel free to watch.

Angry Centaur Gaming Walkthrough

I have to say, so far I am loving the way the racism and so forth are displayed and how wrapped up it is in the overall gameworld. I can't wait to play more.

I used the bucking bronco a LOT on Hard. It's cheap, it last forever with the upgrades, you can easily dispose of pretty much every non-HUGE heavy enemy with it, hell you can just shoot them off of edges, who needs Undertow?

Man, I feel like the bucking bronco vigor doesn't get enough love. It's great. I find myself using it more than shock.

I just stopped playing for the night, I turned it off when I got to
the factory after the Vox take your airship.

I assume I'm at like...mid-game?

I'm not sure how I feel about the Elizabeth finding stuff mechanic. On the one hand, it's GREAT to basically never have to worry about salts or ammo. On the other, it makes it kinda easy.

But I guess the good part about that is that it's letting me just enjoy the combat.

I caught a medpack right as Patriot with about a sliver of health was going to put me down.

I was sold on Elizabeth after that. I don't care what anyone says.

Vire

Might I say, this game has some of the best elevator sequences in all of video games? :lol

I loved seeing the world with the open window ones... especially in Finkton!

Karak

I tend to explore every room and I look at every ground of person to see if there are any dialogue triggers.

I might be over exposing myself to the NPC, but it's a shame that there isn't a bit more variations.

I am noticing that as well. Maybe the only negative I have found during my walkthrough other than the lack of dialogue for some people as you also seemed to notice. It doesn't bother me too much but its noticable.

Just finished. Incredible experience. One of the games of the gen. I'm gonna now drink a beer and think on the ending.

God that combat is soooo good. Gonna replay with new weapon loadouts.

I'm utterly exhausted from a bad work day, but I'm compelled to stay awake both to monitor the cat's blood sugar and continue sightseeing :p

The plot seems to be showing it's hand awfully early with clues all over and I've barely started, but I'm already a lot more impressed from a worldbuilding perspective than anything else in a while.

Will probably not have much else to say until I'm finished, but I imagine I'll post an unreadable essay when done.

nib95

Banned
Really random point, but sort of wish I had the PS4 version of this now. Provided Vita remote play works as they say it will, I'd have bought a Vita and would probably be playing this game in bed right now lol.

I used the bucking bronco a LOT on Hard. It's cheap, it last forever with the upgrades, you can easily dispose of pretty much every non-HUGE heavy enemy with it, hell you can just shoot them off of edges, who needs Undertow?

I was listening to the bombcast and all Jeff was talking about was how he just stunned people with the shock power and then put them down, and I find myself abusing bronco the same way. It's way easier to hit a group of dudes with bronco. and then you just pick them off with the carbine. cake.

I caught a medpack right as Patriot with about a sliver of health was going to put me down.

I was sold on Elizabeth after that. I don't care what anyone says.

I'm more in it for the ammo. It just a little off putting that she saves you EVERY TIME, even with the ammo stuff.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Got the PS3 version because I was excited for Move support.

Then I start playing, and realize that they mapped melee attack to shaking the move controller.

Fuck me.

Vire

Did anyone else slightly miss an Atlas type figure that talks to you about the world.

It would have been nice if Elizabeth informed the player about the world through the stories she read as a child about Columbia.

Zeliard

I really have to start experimenting with gear in the next playthrough.

Oh my fucking god dude, this gear combination is hilariously fun and potent, even on 1999. Fools getting lit on fire all over the place and giving me health when they die with distant melee lunges. Toss some crows into the mix with Crow Trap Aid and you have a recipe for fun.

Burning Halo hat - 70% chance to light an enemy's ass on fire with melee, 300 damage over 4 secs
Pyromaniac chest - 50% to burn enemies when you get hit, 400 damage over 3 secs
Deadly Lunger pants - 3x increase melee strike range
Vampire's Embrace boots - melee kills restore health

Skyhook has been on the menu tonight, my friends.

DatDude

Banned
I'm utterly exhausted from a bad work day, but I'm compelled to stay awake both to monitor the cat's blood sugar and continue sightseeing :p

The plot seems to be showing it's hand awfully early with clues all over and I've barely started, but I'm already a lot more impressed from a worldbuilding perspective than anything else in a while.

Will probably not have much else to say until I'm finished, but I imagine I'll post an unreadable essay when done.

Take your time with this one. Alot narrative clues and alot of foreshadowing. You can learn alot about whats in store by just really digesting every little thing. Plus, it's a really remarkable game, and isn't best (imo) in 1 sitting, but rather multiple sittings...but perhaps that's just me.

Also, if you have any narrative questions, or feel confused about anything plot wise feel free to holler.

LiK

One issue with Gears is that location is randomized. I found a cool piece but quit out before a checkpoint and lost it. Sigh

DatDude

Banned
Did anyone else slightly miss an Atlas type figure that talks to you about the world.

It would have been nice if Elizabeth informed the player about the world through the stories she read as a child about Columbia.

She sort of does that (like with the beach for instance, she tells you how long it took to construct it)...

But I mean, you sort of needed Atlas since the Rapture that was, was long in the mirror and the game needed a biography of sorts.

Columbia is very well and kicking and really doesn't need that.

Top Bottom