• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Guevara

I really feel like traps are a bit under utilized. Sometimes I'll throw one down to cover an angle, but I don't really use them strategically outside of that. I'd love if the traps had different properties, or if powers had cooldowns that made it so trapping properly could improve your effectiveness.

A lot of times I'll set traps but the enemy doesn't advance so it was all a waste :-/

Mesoian

I really feel like traps are a bit under utilized. Sometimes I'll throw one down to cover an angle, but I don't really use them strategically outside of that. I'd love if the traps had different properties, or if powers had cooldowns that made it so trapping properly could improve your effectiveness.

Traps are a lot more fun once you get the gear that lets you
control ghost guns from dead enemies
. Beyond that though, I agree. The spin up on them takes too long, the range can be wonky and they generally don't do a whole lot more damage than just using the natural fire.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Also, the executions in this game are brutal. I had to turn away from the screen at times.

Gorillaz

just reached
bank of the prophet
is this the homecoming stretch? Cause I feel like everything is about to come to a close soon and the story is starting to materialize more.

Mesoian

Also, the executions in this game are brutal. I had to turn away from the screen at times.

Haha yeah. The beginning of the game is such a long quiet moment, I spent like 30 minutes just exploring. Then you get to the raffle and they let you know that shit is popping off in the most brutal way possible.

just reached
bank of the prophet
is this the homecoming stretch? Cause I feel like everything is about to come to a close soon and the story is starting to materialize more.

Yeah, you've got about...2 hours left.

If not for the awesome design and style of this game I'd be so bored. Combat is pretty boring. My shotgun takes care of anything in my way. And the sniper rifle one shots stuff in the distance.

Zeliard

I like using basic traps with the Skyrail. You can use Railway movement to control the flow of the battle, predict where enemies will end up, and have traps waiting for them.

Guess Who

Banned
just reached
bank of the prophet

Nope. About 70%, I'd say. You've got a few hours left to go. Not really in the home stretch until
Comstock's airship

I'm about halfway through and I'm loving it so far. I just hope the ending has as much of an impact on me as other people in this thread. I'm not sure sure if it will though, because I had a huge part of the story spoiled for me by that guy who posted spoilers earlier in the thread.

*end-game spoiler, do not look if you have not finished the game completely*

If you like this sort of
inter-dimensional/time travel/branching universes
type of story, then I highly recommend reading
The End of Eternity by Asimov. It has a lot of similar themes and features the necessary partnership of a serious fellow and a mysterious girl.
A lot of things in Infinite reminded me of that story.

I was looking for a new book to read.

Thanks,

A lot of times I'll set traps but the enemy doesn't advance so it was all a waste :-/

Yea, I find that too. The Enemy AI seems pretty good, but hard to predict, so setting traps often means a wasted use of salts. I've built my character around salts, and vigor usage so far, so that can make things tough.

I like using basic traps with the Skyrail. You can use Railway movement to control the flow of the battle, predict where enemies will end up, and have traps waiting for them.

Hmm, that sounds pretty good, but what's the advantage of doing that over just covering the spot and blasting them as they jump down?

Playing on Hard BTW, maybe 1999 will require different strategies.

Zeliard

Hmm, that sounds pretty good, but what's the advantage of doing that over just covering the spot and basting them as they jump down?

Playing on Hard BTW, maybe 1999 will require different strategies.

In 1999 they tend to have ample HP. I find that trap/Skyrail strategy particularly effective against guys like the Handyman, where you basically always want to be on the move. Traps are best used when you can ensure that whomever you want to land in it will, and the Skyrail can afford you opportunities to easily lure enemies.

DatDude

Banned
I like this game, but imo it's nowhere near as good as the first Bioshock.

I'm not even sure what Bioshock did better...

Maybe you could have a point in Rapture. But that's just personal prefereance.

Not only does Infinite keep a compelling narrative from beginning to end, it doesn't start collapsing 3/4th of the way, and features an ending that makes Bioshock ending look like something a jr high student made.

The only defense in your case is rapture, and maybe the level design (linear vs hub)

Otherwise, I just can't see how one could honestly say Bioshock 1 was better. I just can't.

An this is coming from someone who considered Bioshock to be the best game of all time (before infinite came out that is)

megalowho

*end-game spoiler, do not look if you have not finished the game completely*

If you like this sort of
inter-dimensional/time travel/branching universes
type of story, then I highly recommend reading
The End of Eternity by Asimov. It has a lot of similar themes and features the necessary partnership of a serious fellow and a mysterious girl.
A lot of things in Infinite reminded me of that story.
I absolutely thought of that book as well while playing this game. Great source of inspiration to draw from, if that was the case.

Jofamo

I found Return to Sender to be the best, most overpowered Vigor in my playthrough. Once you upgrade it so it draws in ammo and costs less Salt, enemies don't stand a chance. I'd just walk right up to Motorised Patriots and do what I like, and then by the time my salts were running out, I'd let go in their face, and Elizabeth would be ready to throw a salt refill to me.

I can imagine how much harder the final battle would have been without it.

Vire

I'm not even sure what Bioshock did better...

Maybe you could have a point in Rapture. But that's just personal prefereance.

Not only does Infinite keep a compelling narrative from beginning to end, it doesn't start collapsing 3/4th of the way, and features an ending that makes Bioshock ending look like something a jr high student made.

The only defense in your case is rapture, and maybe the level design (linear vs hub)

Otherwise, I just can't see how one could honestly say Bioshock 1 was better. I just can't.

An this is coming from someone who considered Bioshock to be the best game of all time (before infinite came out that is)
While I do like Infinite better by a good amount, thre are things Bioshock 1 does better.

1. Superior Villains, Andrew Ryan and Cohen are just more interesting and deranged than say Comstock and Fink.

2. Slightly less linear with possible backtracking to any point.

3. No limit on the amount of weapons you are able to carry and weapon upgrades show aesthetic differences.

Stackable Plasmid/Health packs. It's annoying seeing a med pack when you are full on health and it's useless to you.

That's about it though.

Bioshock Infinite features better, more interesting and varied gunplay and an ending that makes Bioshock 1's look like a joke.

JBuccCP

I just finished on mostly hard, turned it down for the last big fight which got a bit tedious. Medium is way more fun, kind of wish I had played that from the beginning, it really lets you play around more with things you haven't upgraded. Anywho I enjoyed it mostly, there's a lot of little niggles though that keep me from calling it great.

I'll start with the good:

-The game looks amazing. The first half especially with all the wonderful color. Second half is a more drab but still has some nice moments.
-I really liked how the guns themselves felt. They have good kick to them and feel like they should be doing damage even if they aren't really. Big improvement here from the first.
- The upgraded vigor combinations could be really entertaining. Especially if you have the gear that spreads a few of them to other enemies upon death.
- The dialog is spot on pretty much everywhere, I think the Bioshock games are the only ones where I actually want to listen to all the audiologs you find.
- Having Elizabeth there to react to things and talk with makes all the times where you just walking around much more memorable than if you were alone
- kinda big spoiler
I love what they did with the songbird. You anticipate all game having a huge boss battle with it, maybe the final boss, and instead they make it your weapon.

Now stuff I didn't like:

- Maybe it's just me, but Booker seems kinda slow and cumbersome at times. I think it might be some animation priority thing or something, but there were times I had to mash sprint a couple times before he would start running. Along with contextual stuff like hooking onto rails and getting stuff from Elizabeth being hit or miss, I think I died several times where it felt like the games fault.
-Every enemy in this game sneaks up on you like a goddamn ninja. Somehow even giant robot people appear right behind you with hardly a sound. This would be a good spot for your AI partner to give you the heads up but I don't think she ever does.
- On that note, as a gameplay mechanic, Elizabeth was pretty disappointing. You just get a few tears that give you pretty standard stuff (Cover? Really?) and she tosses you some crap which is kinds helpful, but I was hoping for something much more imaginative. She also does some creepy Watson shit sometimes which broke some of the illusion.
- Wish there was more to do besides combat and the awful scavenger hunt quests. Some puzzles utilizing the vigors wold have been welcome.
- The two weapon limit is dumb. I can carry all the ammo in the universe but only two guns, I guess.

Other random stuff that I don't really hold against the game but had a thought about:

- I hope we get the point someday where the initial impression you get when visiting a city in games like this or Dishonored doesn't wear off so quickly. I mean in terms of feeling "real" and how quickly you realize everyone is just sitting there waiting for you to walk by to say their line. Something like the people in Bethesda's games but not necessarily being able to interact with all of them, just have people about going about their day and going to and from places. It would have blown me away if the first half of the game was about investigating Colombia and finding out who's who and scoping things out before just jumping right into the shootering.
- I'm not too big on where the story went. It wasn't bad or anything, I'm just kind of tired of these kinds of stories where...well I won't talk about in this thread. It didn't detract from the game because it's told in mostly effective non-intrusive ways but it didn't elevate the game for me.
- Enemies on hard could be some real damn bullet sponges. I know I know, it's supposed to be hard, I just wish it were more about enemies being smarter or having more varied abilities or something. A few fights just came down to me hiding and waiting for Elizabeth to throw ammo at me so I could continue.
-I wish there was a NG+

Fracas

#fuckonami
Unless some major shit goes down in the last few hours, I'd say this game's story is slightly above average at best.

Infinite's strengths lie in its presentation and dialogue.

Dartastic

I thought I got spoiled, but it turned out to be a fake spoiler. Hopefully you have the same luck :/
Can you please PM me the fake spoiler that you ran into?
SOX68UL.jpg
Hahahhahaha niiiice.

Gorillaz

how the fuck did you guys deal with
the ghost and killing it's minions in the bank
i'm playing it on hard and its starting to piss me off, especially with me literally respawning in front of all of them

EDIT: nvm lol

JLeack

Banned
I hate to be the bad guy here but this game is overrated. It should be around a 90-92 on Metacritic imo. It's not really breaking new ground and if anything the environment is fantastic but not quite as good as Rapture.

Kade

how the fuck did you guys deal with
the ghost and killing it's minions in the bank
i'm playing it on hard and its starting to piss me off, especially with me literally respawning in front of all of them

Upgraded Bucking Bronco made it pretty easy. After you blast them with that, you can just focus on
the ghost and if she dies, so do her minions so you don't have to deal with them

I hate to be the bad guy here but this game is overrated. It should be around a 90-92 on Metacritic imo. It's not really breaking new ground and if anything the environment is fantastic but not quite as good as Rapture.

What difference would this make to anything?

Who else figured out how to abuse the skylines with the following set of clothing?

JtWNAQJ.jpg

If it isn't already obvious enough how this can be exploited, here's a step-by-step guide:

1. Jump on skyline -- become invulnerable for several seconds
2. Quickly locate target on the ground
3. Perform skyline attack on target -- damage target, burn others around target, become invulnerable again for several more seconds
4. Repeat

NOTE: If you can't find a target and the invulnerability wears off, simply jump off the skyline, then back on.

On Hard difficulty, this made practically every fight near a skyline a cakewalk. It was impossible for me to take any damage because the invulnerability lasted for so long. I even dispatched motorized patriots and handymen without taking so much as an ounce of damage using this method. Granted, it felt cheap and rather unrewarding, but it was an exploit that saved me precious health and ammunition so I used it every time I could. As you might imagine, this even made the "last battle(s)" in the game absurdly easy. I think this is something the folks at Irrational need to address in a patch because it's just so easy to cheese.

Amir0x

Banned
yeah I can definitely tell what people meant by the meandering middle section of the game that takes for-ever and is all fetch questy and fairly uninteresting as a whole. I don't know if they put it in here to pad out playtime, but it definitely sags the game's overall high quality down a notch.

Still, so much of this game is so consistently good so much of the time - and the combat now definitely has come into its own as a genre middle-of-the-class, which is a substantial improvement from Bioshock - that I definitely have no problem saying it's probably one of the better games this generation, provided the final act is as good as people say it is. It's one of those 'total packages'... visual, audio and gameplay all being top notch enterprises with considerable care put into what each aspect would do for the feel of the game. It feels completely not boardroom/focus tested, which is probably the opposite of the AAA philosophy shown in abominations like Tomb Raider.

Antichamber is my GOTY so far, and Bioshock Infinite is now my runner up at this point for 2013. They both really helped to wash the sour taste out of my mouth after mouths of pathetically bloated "AAA" experiences where I felt like game development as a whole was conspiring to destroy everything that has ever been good about games.

OneLetter and FartofWar and any other neoGAFers who had a hand in Bioshock: Infinite... well done. You guys really deserve a pat on the back for what you accomplished here. It's a cliché to say "it's not perfect, but yet nothing is", but you guys have made a wonderful game that manages to tell a story without allowing designer ego to start poisoning the well and taking gamers out of every gameplay situation that exists. You're not afraid for people to die, in other words, or to treat gamers with some level of respect: and that is so refreshing these days.

JLeack said:
I hate to be the bad guy here but this game is overrated. It should be around a 90-92 on Metacritic imo.

Wow, so it's overrated by a whole 4 points :p

It definitely isn't 96 metacritic good, but for once the general consensus is fairly in the ballpark. But again, reviews from today's modern gaming press are completely worthless so *shrug*

Andrew.

Banned
I can't stop shaking. I need to talk to somebody.

South Florida Bros ill pm you my phone number. I can't pick my brain up off the floor with the ending

ironcreed

Banned
Credits are rolling and my head is currently tied in god damn knot. Seriously, what the hell?
Elizabeth is his daughter that he gave up to wipe away his debt, but the game started with him going to find her to wipe away his debt... but he is also Comstock? All of these multiple versions of people in different dimensions is enough to make you feel insane. Oh, going to Rapture was a nice touch as well.

DatDude

Banned
While I do like Infinite better by a good amount, thre are things Bioshock 1 does better.

1. Superior Villains, Andrew Ryan and Cohen are just more interesting and deranged than say Comstock and Fink.

The problem with that notion is that your assuming that everything is a mirror.

Andrew Ryan=Comstock
Big Daddy=Handy Man
Columbia=Rapture
Booker=Jack
Fink=Cohen

There different characters.

In a sense there isn't even a
antoganist
in the tradional sense

It's a different game, with a different world, with a different narrative.

Comparing it to Bioshock is like comparing apples to oranges.

It just doesn't fit thematically.

This is without a doubt one of the most beautiful games ever made. It might not be the most technically impressive, but good God is it beautiful. My personal favorite scene was the one in which you first open the double doors leading out to Columbia (immediately after your baptism). I'm pretty sure my jaw hit the floor.

Zeliard

Who else figured out how to abuse the skylines with the following set of clothing?

---

I think this is something the folks at Irrational need to address in a patch because it's just so easy to cheese.

That isn't the only combination of gear and/or vigors that can render things trivial. They'd have to rework a ton of stuff to remove every potential overpowered combo in the game.

LiK

This is without a doubt one of the most beautiful games ever made. It might not be the most technically impressive, but good God is it beautiful. My personal favorite scene was the one in which you first open the double doors leading out to Columbia (immediately after your baptism). I'm pretty sure my jaw hit the floor.

Not even the most technically impressive game. The art direction is simply outstanding

DatDude

Banned
yeah I can definitely tell what people meant by the meandering middle section of the game that takes for-ever and is all fetch questy and fairly uninteresting as a whole. I don't know if they put it in here to pad out playtime, but it definitely sags the game's overall high quality down a notch.

Still, so much of this game is so consistently good so much of the time - and the combat now definitely has come into its own as a genre middle-of-the-class, which is a substantial improvement from Bioshock - that I definitely have no problem saying it's probably one of the better games this generation, provided the final act is as good as people say it is. It's one of those 'total packages'... visual, audio and gameplay all being top notch enterprises with considerable care put into what each aspect would do for the feel of the game. It feels completely not boardroom/focus tested, which is probably the opposite of the AAA philosophy shown in abominations like Tomb Raider.

Antichamber is my GOTY so far, and Bioshock Infinite is now my runner up at this point for 2013. They both really helped to wash the sour taste out of my mouth after mouths of pathetically bloated "AAA" experiences where I felt like game development as a whole was conspiring to destroy everything that has ever been good about games.

OneLetter and FartofWar and any other neoGAFers who had a hand in Bioshock: Infinite... well done. You guys really deserve a pat on the back for what you accomplished here. It's a cliché to say "it's not perfect, but yet nothing is", but you guys have made a wonderful game that manages to tell a story without allowing designer ego to start poisoning the well and taking gamers out of every gameplay situation that exists. You're not afraid for people to die, in other words, or to treat gamers with some level of respect: and that is so refreshing these days.

Wow, so it's overrated by a whole 4 points :p

It definitely isn't 96 metacritic good, but for once the general consensus is fairly in the ballpark. But again, reviews from today's modern gaming press are completely worthless so *shrug*

Amirox I like you. I like your notion on narratives in video games.

I really want to hear your feedback after you finish the game..and don't skip the credits since there are narrative scenes after them.

To me, Infinite is the great narrative in the history of it's medium.

Playing this on a second playthrough just blows my mind. There is incredible foreshadowing, and there are details in the most smallest places (the music for example).

Plus the ending is just one of the greatest feats ever bestowed in a video game imo.

Really anticipating your feedback when you finish it :)

That isn't the only combination of gear and/or vigors that can render things trivial. They'd have to rework a ton of stuff to remove every potential overpowered combo in the game.

What are some others that you found to be laughably overpowered? I'll have to try them out on my second playthrough.

Top Bottom