• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
YOU CAN BUY LOCKPICKS? I never bought anything from the item stores. Only bought upgrades for Vigor and guns.

After about... halfway into the game, I'd say. You initially can't. And you can only get a handful (4?) per vending machine.

Sanctuary

Only at Battleship Bay, but so far the artstyle is strangely offputting. On the one hand it's amazing, but on the other it's extremely inconsistent. You'll have these incredibly detailed (and varied) vistas, only to suddenly see angular balloons (that you know are supposed to be representing actual round balloons) and one of the worst representations of apple textures I've ever seen in my life.

You also have areas where every single female is a clone. Sure, they recycle many of the male NPCs too, but in general the clothing and heads offer enough variety that you don't notice. But go to the beach? Ugh, did they really think no one would notice that? It's horrible. Unless there's some big reveal later and most of them were just robots...

Then of course there's Elizabeth. While there's nothing wrong with the way she looks, she's completely and utterly out of place with the look of the rest of the NPC designs. She looks 100% like a Disney character. She almost looks like a straight rip of Belle from Beauty and the Beast. I mean seriously. Just change her eye color and you have a match.

Belle-beauty-and-the-beast-1973374-674-907.gif

garath

Hmm, that reminds me, how do you get the pre-order bonus lockpicks and silver coins? I forgot completely about those.

Also while we're on the subject, I still can't sell the TF2 hats. Normal? How much longer till they're tradeable?

The combat isn't like what I saw a year or two ago, huh? I remember that gameplay trailer where Elizabeth helped in combat with magic and you could interact with her magic to make more powerful spells. I'm a few hours in and it seems like the combat is just guns and lame magic with no help from Elizabeth.

Did the game take a drastic change or something? Am I remembering that 10 minute gameplay video on xbox live wrong?

I hate to be the bad guy here but this game is overrated. It should be around a 90-92 on Metacritic imo. It's not really breaking new ground and if anything the environment is fantastic but not quite as good as Rapture.

Damn, people really do care about Metacritic this much. This never ceases to boggle my mind.

Infinite is a AAA that everyone should play regardless. No score needed. It's just a great game, not bad at all.

Sanctuary

Damn, people really do care about Metacritic this much. This never ceases to boggle my mind.

Infinite is a AAA that everyone should play regardless. No score needed. It's just a great game, not bad at all.

So far it's "good", but I played the same game when it was simply called Bioshock. It was also a lot fresher back then. Now it just seems like the same game with a different coat of paint and a slightly different narrative. I'm not sure if Irrational was living on an island while making this game, but the voxophone/codec/tapes etc have been done to death since Bioshock.

Started the combat portion. Gunplay is a huuuuuge improvement over BioShock. I wasn't that put off by how the combat got started, mind you, maybe because you were all saying how weird it was, and I was expecting something weird. Clearly there's something fanatical about these people.

I love
using possession on my enemies. Just like in BioShock
. One criticism I do have, though, is that the movement of the player is kinda janky in this game. It's not at all fluid.

Vire

Started the combat portion. Gunplay is a huuuuuge improvement over BioShock. I wasn't that put off by how the combat got started, mind you, maybe because you were all saying how weird it was, and I was expecting something weird. Clearly there's something fanatical about these people.

I love
using possession on my enemies. Just like in BioShock
. One criticism I do have, though is that the movement of the player is kinda janky in this game. It's not at all fluid.

Felt pretty fluid on PS3. But what do I know.

The skyhook gameplay also lends itself to the feeling of fluidity. You might not be there yet.

If anyone wants the Xbox 360 version of the game I'm trying to get rid of it for $48.
Already have Songbird edition.

I also have a few PC ones from the AMD promo for 40.

Just fought that
flamey-dude. Ran past him, possessed the turret, then when he rounded the corner the turret and I opened fire and took him down

Now that's what I love.

So far it's "good", but I played the same game when it was simply called Bioshock. It was also a lot fresher back then. Now it just seems like the same game with a different coat of paint and a slightly different narrative. I'm not sure if Irrational was living on an island while making this game, but the voxophone/codec/tapes etc have been done to death since Bioshock.

I'm one of those people who've never played Bioshock, or System Shock 2 for that matter, as the "twist" was spoiled for me. Yes, audio diaries are staple in gaming these days. But I still enjoy them and how they're presented in Infinite.

Guevara

Just fought that
flamey-dude. Ran past him, possessed the turret, then when he rounded the corner the turret and I opened fire and took him down

Now that's what I love.

That part was cool. Plus
all the police yelling "The fireman! The fireman's coming!" Not what I was expecting.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I can't believe how awful this game gets once you hit Comstock house.

What the fuck happened? Did another developer do the last 15% of this game? Holy fucking shit what a disaster.

Whoa he left the spaces.
I feel this is intentional somehow...

I can't believe how awful this game gets once you hit Comstock house.

What the fuck happened? Did another developer do the last 15% of this game? Holy fucking shit what a disaster.

IDK, I found it to just be a bad way to ramp up difficulty but it was a passable gameplay section.

Dr Dogg

Finished up a few hours and all I can say without wanting to pour over everything spoilery is a big thank you to Irrational Games and everyone involved with BioShock Infinite. The word masterpiece is often overused but this experience truly deserves. Fantastic throughout but the highlights for me were the engrossing narrative and the best use of music in a video game bar none. Bravo guys, bravo.

Safes -- worth lock picks or are they all just $250 give or take?

I finished up with an abundance of lockpicks by the end of the game. Go nuts but I did play through on normal so don't know if they're rarer at higher difficulties.

gdt

By the end of the game I had like 30 extra lock picks, only bought 1 at a machine early in the game. Either I missed a lot of doors (I don't think I did....I got the cheevo for it, pretty early on IIRC), or I'm really good at digging through people's trash.

Basically Stump, get all that shit, lockpicks aren't rare at all for the decent scavenger!

B-Dex

SO things that make a bioshock game a bioshock game shouldn't be in the latest bioshock game?

AEREC

I'm enjoying the game but I honestly expected more. Just seems way more shallow than Bioshock 1.

Also...no visual weapon upgrades :(

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
What the FUCK is wrong with the saving? Jesus christ, just lost a solid 15 minutes of nothing but looting.

And is there no way to just put your gun away? I'm walking around an ice cream shop with a shotgun aimed at everyone and it just looks really off.

gdt

What the FUCK is wrong with the saving? Jesus christ, just lost a solid 15 minutes of nothing but looting.

And is there no way to just put your gun away? I'm walking around an ice cream shop with a shotgun aimed at everyone and it just looks really off.

He puts the gun down after a few seconds outside of combat. He doesn't holster it though.

gdt

I'm enjoying the game but I honestly expected more. Just seems way more shallow than Bioshock 1.

Also...no visual weapon upgrades :(

Nope :(.

I think it has to do with the 2 weapon limit and the fact that you get your weapons from the enemies. IE if we got visual weapon upgrades they would have to be visually upgraded when in their hands too.

Hate that choice. Would've rather stuck with the BS1 method of weapon usage.

gdt

FartOfWar, did you guys consider putting a New Game + option in the game? If so, why didn't you guys do so?

Also, as I know very little about it, how feasible would it be to patch in a NG+ mode?

Edit: Would I be right in guessing that a NG+ mode clashes narratively with the beginning of the game (as your reason for not going that route if it was considered in the first place)?

I really wish I could save manually and not rely on checkpoints for saving. Game is delivering on all fronts so far though...taking my sweet time and checking everything twice over :p

StuBurns

Banned
Oh, finally unbanned, and free to splurge over Infinite.

I finished it yesterday lunch, so it's nice to have actually had a day to let it all settle. It's a pretty incredible game. Unfortunately I played on Normal, and it is unbelievably easy, even as someone who sucks at shooters, but the combat was very fun, the dual form vigors are a big step up, all the gun combat is far better, the combat design is orders of magnitude improved over the previous two, and is now up there with best of class for me. What makes the game so great however, is still it's ability to present a world that's both stunningly inviting and horribly sinister, and this was a notable step up above Rapture for me. Both the art and sound are absolutely as good as anything anyone has mustered.

I have some niggling design issues, for example a couple of times I went somewhere before intended, and they talked about having to find a place they were literally at just before, which was pretty bad, really pulled me out the experience. But it did manage the opposite, to reward me with totally optional dialogue when I decided to do something unprompted which I really love (reminds me of that great bit in HL2 when you can shoot the TV everyone is watching and Alyx comments about it).

I have some pretty major issues with the storytelling, but I'll save them for the spoiler thread I imagine, there are other little things, like I don't think the tears are utilized as well or interestingly as they had potential for, it falls on essentially more fetch quest crap, etc. Overall however, I was fairly stunned, it's a massive improvement over Bio1, and as the complete package, it's the best FPS I've ever played. All eyes on Valve now, EP2 dethroned.

I did order a PS Move today, to give those controls a try, looking forward to a Hard play-through soon.

I NEARLY lost 2hrs of progress in the final hub area, until a story event triggered a save. Thank god.

Just finished and for me this beats Bioshock 1 & 2 hands down. Combat was better, characters and setting more interesting, no hacking. The entire game had me spellbound and the final hours were mind blowing.

Helped playing maxed out at 60fps + in 1080p though, so none of those annoying issues with tearing and framerate. On the subject of graphics, with all the post processing, incredible AA and lighting - game looked next gen at times.

Oh, finally unbanned, and free to splurge over Infinite.

I finished it yesterday lunch, so it's nice to have actually had a day to let it all settle. It's a pretty incredible game. Unfortunately I played on Normal, and it is unbelievably easy, even as someone who sucks at shooters, but the combat was very fun, the dual form vigors are a big step up, all the gun combat is far better, the combat design is orders of magnitude improved over the previous two, and is now up there with best of class for me. What makes the game so great however, is still it's ability to present a world that's both stunningly inviting and horribly sinister, and this was a notable step up above Rapture for me. Both the art and sound are absolutely as good as anything anyone has mustered.

I have some niggling design issues, for example a couple of times I went somewhere before intended, and they talked about having to find a place they were literally at just before, which was pretty bad, really pulled me out the experience. But it did manage the opposite, to reward me with totally optional dialogue when I decided to do something unprompted which I really love (reminds me of that great bit in HL2 when you can shoot the TV everyone is watching and Alyx comments about it).

I have some pretty major issues with the storytelling, but I'll save them for the spoiler thread I imagine, there are other little things, like I don't think the tears are utilized as well or interestingly as they had potential for, it falls on essentially more fetch quest crap, etc. Overall however, I was fairly stunned, it's a massive improvement over Bio1, and as the complete package, it's the best FPS I've ever played. All eyes on Valve now, EP2 dethroned.

I did order a PS Move today, to give those controls a try, looking forward to a Hard play-through soon.
Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

As much as I LOVE the game, I feel the last encounter does not feel "right".
The fact that Booker is not the center of the enemies' aggression changes the dynamics and feedback loop of the encounter. If I recall correctly, that encounter was the only 'protect' scenario that the game presents.

It is a minor quibble of an otherwise stellar game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I NEARLY lost 2hrs of progress in the final hub area, until a story event triggered a save. Thank god.

Yeah, I just now hit a save. First one in 48 minutes, and nearly nothing but scavenging and roaming within that. Awful design there...

Also, the part I just did
was mostly roaming around the boardwalk area to get to the airship. Before this area I just had Elizabeth freak out that I killed people who were clearly plotting to do something to us, and Booker said if you don't draw first you may never draw at all to calm her down. Well, during this part you can steal from a register in the ice cream shop and the guy behind the counter naturally freaks out. I severed his goddamn head off with the hook in front of everyone, killed all the police that came, and Elizabeth just asked a casual question right after about a woman being in my life.

Like...seriously? :\

Sullichin

Ugh, I still can't afford any vigor upgrades 5 hours in. Perhaps I shouldn't have wasted money on some of the weapon upgrades but I want the crow trap upgrade damnit.

Stark

Banned
This game took a quick turn into the
Horror
genre for me, lol.

I am heading (late game spoilers)
to the warden's office and this fucking wheelchair with a washington (assuming its him) head is rolling to me.
made me jump.

gdt

So I take it I should play on Hard?

Absolutely.

Spoilers

Shit is getting all
____LOST_____
up in here!

Yeah there are parallels sure. Sort of the heavy sci-fi stuff (semi akin to Lost season 5) but moreso the excellent mix of the sci fi in regards to importance to the characters. Yes, BI ellicits many of the same emotions and enjoyment I get from Lost.

Top Bottom