• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Didn't realize until the end credits that (very minor cast spoiler)
Rosalind, the lady twin
is voiced by Jennifer Hale! I always recognized FemShep when she popped up in Uncharted and Gears of War, but didn't notice it was her until I saw her name. Well done!

I feel as if every time I get to a new area, it is filled with Columbians going about their day and doing whatever it is they do (which is really just stand in their assigned spot for me to observe) but then something triggers a firefight and all non-shooting NPCs disappear completely, I clear out the opposition and then the area is completely empty of life. Where do these people go? How do they get there? No one seems to use the Skyline system (or any of the vending machines or anything else really) and there aren't airships transporting people everywhere.

It just all feels so artificial to me. I have almost crossed the line to thinking that I am SUPPOSED to feel like this and has something to do with the game's twist but it is stopping the game from feeling alive to me.

And then I get to Shantytown and find
the guitar in the basement of the bar, start to play it and Elizabeth up and sings that beautiful song from one of the trailers
and I forget about all that for a moment. It was a tremendous moment and I guess it was something I thought there would be more of.

Lingitiz

Rosalind, the lady twin
is voiced by Jennifer Hale! I always recognized FemShep when she popped up in Uncharted and Gears of War, but didn't notice it was her until I saw her name. Well done!

I definitely knew it was her. While her performance is good I'm so tired of hearing her in fucking everything. Even when she puts an accent on she's recognizable.

ironcreed

Banned
I can't believe how awful this game gets once you hit Comstock house.

What the fuck happened? Did another developer do the last 15% of this game? Holy fucking shit what a disaster.

Easily the weak part of the game for me.
Backtracking through the ruined city and fighting Lady Comstock's ghost and her resurrected hordes with guns and Vigors was tedious and really just felt kind of stupid.
But thankfully it picks up and gets interesting again after that. Love the game on the whole, but that part was indeed a real drag.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I just now hit a save. First one in 48 minutes, and nearly nothing but scavenging and roaming within that. Awful design there...

Also, the part I just did
was mostly roaming around the boardwalk area to get to the airship. Before this area I just had Elizabeth freak out that I killed people who were clearly plotting to do something to us, and Booker said if you don't draw first you may never draw at all to calm her down. Well, during this part you can steal from a register in the ice cream shop and the guy behind the counter naturally freaks out. I severed his goddamn head off with the hook in front of everyone, killed all the police that came, and Elizabeth just asked a casual question right after about a woman being in my life.

Like...seriously? :\

Wow... Yeah I guess they just didn't expect anyone to go berserk in that area before the ticket counter? Seems like an unrealistic expectation, though.

Another example of where this game's story telling methods just not gelling very well with its actual gameplay.

careksims

Finished it an hour ago and just... wow... soo many moments. Soooo good!

My GOTY so far. This is how you do single-player games. Soooo good! I'm still floored.

14 hours to play on nomarl. I was taking screenshots all over the place!

I found this way more enjoyable than the first Bioshock. More Bioshock games please!

Vire

Yeah, I just now hit a save. First one in 48 minutes, and nearly nothing but scavenging and roaming within that. Awful design there...

Also, the part I just did
was mostly roaming around the boardwalk area to get to the airship. Before this area I just had Elizabeth freak out that I killed people who were clearly plotting to do something to us, and Booker said if you don't draw first you may never draw at all to calm her down. Well, during this part you can steal from a register in the ice cream shop and the guy behind the counter naturally freaks out. I severed his goddamn head off with the hook in front of everyone, killed all the police that came, and Elizabeth just asked a casual question right after about a woman being in my life.

Like...seriously? :\

Well I mean what you did wasn't exactly... normal. :lol

I WANT ICE CREAM DIE.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Hey what would you do if you were me: play the game on a PC that can only run it at 30fps at VeryLow settings (according to the benchmarker), or buy it again for PS3?

I have no regrets, I wanted X-Com anyway, but I wonder how VeryLow PC compares to the PS3.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Well I mean what you did wasn't exactly... normal. :lol

I WANT ICE CREAM DIE.

The guy was clearly scripted to do that if I take from his register, and it garnered zero reaction whatsoever from Elizabeth. Her AI is hardly selling me so far.

StuBurns

Banned
Glad to hear you enjoyed it.
Thanks, I've not read the thread, did you post your final impressions?
So I take it I should play on Hard?
Yes, if you're even at all competent with games, you really should.
Hey what would you do if you were me: play the game on a PC that can only run it at 30fps at VeryLow settings (according to the benchmarker), or buy it again for PS3?

I have no regrets, I wanted X-Com anyway, but I wonder how VeryLow PC compares to the PS3.
Are you going to play with a 360 pad if you play on PC? Mouse aim at 30fps is foul.

I definitely knew it was her. While her performance is good I'm so tired of hearing her in fucking everything. Even when she puts an accent on she's recognizable.

I'm sure during my second playthrough it's all I'm going to be able to hear. She's the female Nolan North. Must have a good agent.

Damn it. I got food poisoning when I first started playing Bioshock and now I'm too spooked to go back to playing it even though my rational mind knows that Bioshock had nothing to do with my food poisoning.

Muffdraul

Rosalind, the lady twin

Ha, I spotted her the instant they released the First Five Minutes vid. Last night I'm pretty sure I recognized the voice of Don Creech, the guy who played Nigel West Higgens in RDR.

FartOfWar, please to confirm.

Then, all of you shall bow to my rad voice-recognition mojo!

spirity

Listen, big boy,
Now that you got me made,
Goodness, but I'm afraid,
Somethin's gonna happen to you!
Listen, big boy,
You gotta be hooked, and how,
I would die if I should lose you now!

Button up your overcoat,
When the wind is free,
Take good care of yourself,
You belong to me!

Eat an apple every day,
Get to bed by three,
Oh, take good care of yourself,
You belong to me!

Be careful crossing streets, ooh-ooh,
Cut out sweets, ooh-ooh,
Lay off meat, ooh-ooh,
You'll get a pain and ruin your tum-tum!

Wear your flannel underwear,
When you climb a tree,
You belong to me!

Button up your overcoat,
When the wind is free,
You belong to me!
Boop-boop-a-doop!

When you sass a traffic cop,
Use diplomacy;
Just take good care of yourself,
You belong to me!

Beware of frozen ponds, ooh-ooh,
Stocks and bonds, ooh-ooh,
Peroxide blondes, ooh-ooh,
You'll get a pain and ruin your bankroll!

Keep the spoon out of your cup,
When you're drinking tea,
You belong to me!

Don't sit on hornet's tails, ooh-ooh!
Or on nails, ooh-ooh!
Or third rails, ooh-ooh!
You'll get a pain and ruin your tum-tum!

Keep away from bootleg hooch
When you're on a spree,
You belong to me!

You can guess thats a song.

Max

I am not Max
Handyman at Fink's Private Dock seems absolutely impossible on 1999 mode...

The boss characters in this game have such cheap moves

Fracas

#fuckonami
Just finished it.

Not sure how I feel about the ending. However,
returning to Rapture was fucking awesome

Overall, the game is good, but it feels like Bioshock diluted for a mainstream audience. I guess can do a write-up later if anyone cares.

Compulsory how far along am I question.
I have just gotten to the bank opening up my second of the tears. Following Lady Comstocks ghost thing.

NAPK1NS

I gotta' say, after seeing the whole game through, I think this is the best looking game ever made.

Other games certainly have more complex lighting, tessellation and shadow effects, but every aspect of the game's visual design is in tandem with the rest of the package. The colors assist the emotional context of the narrative, and level design compliments the various themes. I'll use the example of
the city's underbelly. After unboxing the dominion that Fink has over the world, you look up and see the imposing factories.

When scrutinize, the PC version holds up reasonably well. But this is one of those games that needs to be taken as a whole, not textures or lighting systems. And as a whole, it blew my face off for 12 hours straight, not bad if you ask me.

God fucking dammit.
Damn that jump scare in Comstock's tower got me good

Oh god me too. It's cheap, but since they only do it once (and since Columbia is a lot less "scary" than Rapture) I gave them a free pass to make me change my pants the one time.

I haven't seen a whole lot of responses to that area of the game.
I may have missed a voxaphone, but do we get any further context for the Boys of Silence or the crazy patients wearing the founding fathers masks? I sort of filled in the blanks as it being some really messed up form of forced therapy. It's almost creepier without the context. I like how the stealth sections didn't overstay their welcome--there were what, three rooms?

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.

Yes, if you're even at all competent with games, you really should.

Are you going to play with a 360 pad if you play on PC? Mouse aim at 30fps is foul.

360 pad.Benchmarking at VeryLow gave me an avergae FPS between 25 and 35. :(

Amir0x

Banned
Is there anyway to get veritcal sync without locking framerate? Or am I confused about what that option offers me? When I put it on it seems to lock my framerate much lower than my system should be capable of.

360 pad.Benchmarking at VeryLow gave me an avergae FPS between 25 and 35. :(

I have the same offer I gave Derrick... if you live in the USA, I have an HD Radeon 5870 that you could average 30fps on with more than very low settings. I wouldn't be able to send it out before next Thursday, but if you want it I can send it.

Vire

Just finished it.

Overall, the game is good, but it feels like Bioshock diluted for a mainstream audience. I guess can do a write-up later if anyone cares.
Yes because that ending was so mainstream.

Naw. I started last night; haven't even met Elizabeth. Just found out that Comstock
is a huge racist and the people who follow him idolize John Wilkes Booth. Loooovely. Also picked up two infusions (an extra from that secret chest).

Game is good so far. I've heard mixed reports about its linearity, but the main draw back so far for me is its more linear than BioShock at the moment.

The combat isn't like what I saw a year or two ago, huh? I remember that gameplay trailer where Elizabeth helped in combat with magic and you could interact with her magic to make more powerful spells. I'm a few hours in and it seems like the combat is just guns and lame magic with no help from Elizabeth.

Did the game take a drastic change or something? Am I remembering that 10 minute gameplay video on xbox live wrong?

antitrop

Is there anyway to get veritcal sync without locking framerate? Or am I confused about what that option offers me? When I put it on it seems to lock my framerate much lower than my system should be capable of.

The in-game limiter is 60. If it's not working for you enable Vsync and Triple Buffering through D3DOverrider.

StuBurns

Banned
Naw. I started last night; haven't even met Elizabeth. Just found out that Comstock
is a huge racist and the people who follow him idolize John Wilkes Booth. Loooovely.

Game is good so far. I've heard mixed reports about its linearity, but the main draw back so far for me is its more linear than BioShock so far.
There are more hub-style areas later, the start isn't really representative of that.

Amir0x

Banned
The in-game limiter is 60. If it's not working for you enable Vsync and Triple Buffering through D3DOverrider.

Thanks, will try that. I have 8GB of RAM (although 2GB must have died since my system is only reading 6 now), a top tier processor from 2012 and I just purchased myself an HD Radeon 7870, so I definitely should be able to hit a better framerate than what I am getting.

gdt

Just finished it.

I have no idea how this is a more mainstream game than BS1. Aside from the 2 weapon limit I guess (in that that specifically is more "mainstream" than BS1). The story and the entire endgame...that is as far from mainstream as it gets.

Ohwiseone

Yeah I'm in.

The
Can the circle be unbroken
part with the
kid
pretty much did it for me.

I am starting to really get into Elizabeth's character and the relationship between booker and her is starting to gel really well.

f0rk

The story and the entire endgame...that is as far from mainstream as it gets.

I disagree.
Inception proved the mainstream can love 'sci-fi' mind fuckery

I don't think this is diluted compared to Bioshock though. Not for the 'make it more appealing' reason at least.

Melchiah

I have to compliment the support service of 2K Games. I bought the premium edition yesterday, which came with a soundtrack that could be downloaded once from their website. I managed to accidentally delete the zip file when I was removing other similar files from the desktop, and they gave me another download link. Really quick and helpful service.

Whew just finished the game it was an incredible experience. Masterful presentation and story, I fully engaged in the story and presenation made the world very believable. The gameplay wasn't the best though in innovation, mostly just trying to get closer to perfection in terms of powers and shooting. Also, the looting was great but everyone in awhile it took you out of the experience.
Also the interaction with characters and making you care about them was top notch. It honestly made me care about the character who I was playing as, an achievement I haven't experienced in a game in a long while.

Anyway I just wanted to leave this here, in case any of the makers of the game stumble upon this, to tell them what an incredible game they made!

I think I'm getting close to the end, so I had to force myself to stop just to hold on to the experience for a little while longer. I just finished the battle that everyone has complained about so far, and damn if it wasn't annoying as hell. Late-ish game battle spoilers:
Lady Comstock's ghost was horrifyingly bad. I tried to be strategic about it, but I started running low on ammo so I eventually killed her just by repeatedly Charging into her over and over and over again. Elizabeth threw me some Salts with impeccable timing and I managed to Charge her to death, thanks to the invulnerability + shield recharge upgrade. I don't think I was going to be able to beat her otherwise. Not looking forward to that fight in 1999 mode.

Stopped just after that. I feel like I'm close to the end due to what's going on, and I'm starting to get hints as to the plot's conclusion. Honestly I don't want the ride to be over, but if the ending is as amazing as everyone else says, I'm likely going to jump right in and play a second time in 1999 mode.

Since I think I'm close to the end, I'm a little disappointed that there weren't more things from the early trailers in the actual game, and I wish certain aspects were more prominent/showed up more, but I'll probably go into detail in that in the spoiler thread once I'm finished.

Top Bottom