• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Lakitu

st5fu
Just put in a couple of hours on my second playthrough. Just love going through and seeing things with a different set of eyes. It's great. I can see myself replaying this so many times. Great length too.

Going to wait and see what the DLC consists of before I think about getting a season pass. If it's story content, I'm happy with that but if it's some shit like challenge rooms... count me out.

I'd gladly take DLC that was just more skyrail-room combat scenarios.

Yes please. I honestly hope one of the DLCs is just one huge open-world-ish hub filled with Skyrail travel/combat. If Irrational gives me that, they have my money for the Season Pass.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Was there ever any explanation why scenes like in this gameplay-video from 2010 or this one from 2011 weren't in the full game?

Oh and I'm seriously impressed by the job that the voice actress of Elizabeth did. Top Class voice acting!

when those scenes were made, the rest of the game was still only fetal, as far as I can piece together. The writing wasn't finished, the scenarios weren't set in stone, etc.

Irrational seem to start off by making flashy-prototypes as a target, then they build a game to match it. I could be totally wrong, an actual Irrational employee probably knows better.

FartOfWar

Banned
I have to compliment the support service of 2K Games. I bought the premium edition yesterday, which came with a soundtrack that could be downloaded once from their website. I managed to accidentally delete the zip file when I was removing other similar files from the desktop, and they gave me another download link. Really quick and helpful service.

That's great to hear.

I really enjoyed having magical powers and a terrain traversal combat mechanic in Call of Duty.

The only strategic choice you have in Call of Duty is whether to aim down the sights or fire from the hip.

I also really enjoyed having to make challenging choices about which weapons to upgrade and, which of those powers I could upgrade. I mean, the difference between "Automatic rifle a and Automatic Rifle B" was pretty damn difficult!

Regarding the 2010 trailer, one thing I found neat (late-ish game spoiler-ish):
When you head towards Emporia, and you find the room where the Vox have put up all the scalps on the board, one of the scalps is labeled Saltonstall, the guy you see/fight in the 2010 trailer. It was a nice little nod to people who were paying attention/remembered the original trailers, even though that character was apparently cut from the final game.

As for the 2011 trailer, I think that was the most disappointing thing that wasn't in the game. That entire sequence was what sold me on the game in the first place and made me super excited for it. Still, what we got was pretty amazing in its own right. I'm just hoping the DLC has those types of sequences in them.

Z6i21zv.jpg

ok, this got me

I bet Elizabeth feels exactly that way about me at this point.

NOOO! I rented the PS3 version and noticed Bioshock 1 on the XMB so I clicked on it and it's installing...(12 GB) HOW DO I UNDO THIS FOR NOW!? :(

Oh well, free game I guess :D

LEGGZZZZ

So what's the best thing to invest out of salt, health, and shield? The game is more fun to play with vigors, so I guess alt and health. Thanks for any recommendations, I'm still fairly early in the game.

So what's the best thing to invest out of salt, health, and shield? The game is more fun to play with vigors, so I guess alt and health. Thanks for any recommendations, I'm still fairly early in the game.

Shield and salt. I would do something like a 60-40 or 70-30 split with your infusions depending on which you like more.

Gorillaz

At (late game spoilers/possibly final level?)
or should I say on board comstack's ship

This shit is too much especially when I turned around and
a fucking siren was behind me screaming and shit
I was already on the edge of my seat dodging the other ones in a building. I mean this entire story...stories within stories within stories.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

I maxed out salt before I touched the other two and don't regret it.

I'm yet to hear anyone justify why they'd bother upgrading health, other than making the game *slightly* more challenging.

Sorian

Banned

I was already on the edge of my seat dodging the other ones in a building. I mean this entire story...stories within stories within stories.

Bahaha this is hilarious since I'm assuming you haven't beaten the game. Finish up!

Ghost23

I don't know if this was a glitch, but I was disappointed when (mid game spoilers)
I was taking out an airship right before the second handyman, and when I blew up the engine and tried to jump off in a fancy fashion with the sky hook, I died instantly and was loaded back on the ground.
What was supposed to happen here?

I fucking loved that part.
Especially since the whole "turn around to find a creepy enemy right behind you" thing happendd a few times in Bio1. Infinite tricks you into thinking it won't happen then right near the very end, BAM! Scary-ass motherfucker right behind you Bio1 style. Infinite knows exactly what the player is expecting and how to subvert it.

ZeroRay

Okay, I'm pissed.

First, some back story: Got the game on release date. All three instances of me shutting my PS3 down while the game was on prompted three beeps before my system shut off. No other game I own caused this in multiple repeated instances.

So fast forward to now. I decided to play some Infinite before going to sleep, and I can't even continue my game or load a chapter! The game locks up my system on the loading screen, the last instance of which created a really bad sound from the BD drive. I guess one difference between yesterday and tonight is the fact that I wasn't connected to PSN.

Anyone else having these problems. I can try logging on or deleting my game data to see if it fixes things but I shouldn't fucking have to.

Okay, it just seems like the laser on my PS3 is borked. Fuck. :/

I deleted all game data, and save data. Seemed to work well enough, then the same problem occurred today. Tried to put a Blu-Ray movie and Uncharted 2 in, nope.

Aspiring

Just a quick question that I wonder if someone could help me.

I want to buy the season pass ( would be my first knowing it would be nice SP DLC ) however my wife would like to play the DLC as well. We both have profiles on the one 360, but if say she purchased it, Would I have to purchase it again to play the DLC on my account or would it work like normal DLC across both accounts, as long as her profile is on the console?

Thanks.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Alright, Hall of Heroes area warmed me up to the game a lot more. Very nice enivoroment and the combat is finally expanding. Tears so far are fun to mess around with, and Elizabeth handing you ammo and medkits is pretty great.

However, I do already have a gripe with that. There are tears to open up multiple med kits, but Elizabeth seemingly doesn't grab them off of it to throw to you if she can't make one herself. Some light action commands would have fleshed out the potential here a lot more.

Do you start finding new gear fairly early in the game? This damn Sugar Rush thing from the flash game is driving me crazy, and unless I'm mistaken I can't unequip the frigging thing.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I can't do it. Every single time I get into combat I just want to turn the game off. Then I stop caring, then I die and I do. I'll just watch the best parts on youtube.

Papercuts

I can't do it. Every single time I get into combat I just want to turn the game off. Then I stop caring, the I die and I do. I'll just watch the best parts on youtube.

Lol, how far are you? I wasn't liking it much for awhile but I'm getting into it now.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
About how far am I?

Just got attacked by the song bird when we got onto the First Lady Airship. Elizabeth just changed her clothes.

I can't do it. Every single time I get into combat I just want to turn the game off. Then I stop caring, then I die and I do. I'll just watch the best parts on youtube.

The combat is alright at the beginning, but really opens up to amazing once you get to Elizabeth. If you haven't reached Elizabeth yet, keep pushing and it gets so much better. If you're past Elizabeth and still don't like it, well, there's no hope sadly.

Papercuts

Trying to find some electric thing for some gondola thing.

Yeah, that's what I just finished up. Within the hall of heroes the game puts in the tears and stuff, along with the bucking bronco which is a good one two punch kind of deal. I've atleast enjoyed messing around with it now instead of feeling pretty blah on it all.

The combat is alright at the beginning, but really opens up to amazing once you get to Elizabeth. If you haven't reached Elizabeth yet, keep pushing and it gets so much better. If you're past Elizabeth and still don't like it, well, there's no hope sadly.

Even having Elizabeth, it took awhile to finally get her to do things relevant to combat. The pacing in general just seemed too slow to me, even if I understand them trying to not overwhelm the player.

Fjordson

I'm getting really lucky with gear I think. Barely just met Elizabeth and I already have a few nice pieces. Like better shield recharge and lighting dudes on fire when I hit them with melee. Almost feels overpowered :lol

Played earlier and saved just after I got a chance to use the skylines. Great mechanic! I played around on them to get used to the controls. Saved at the part where you
land in front of the praying soldiers.

Going to play some Super Mario Galaxy 2, then I'm going right back to it.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Okay I picked up the PS3 version. I like the look of the reversible cover... but I have small problem with it.

bioshockinfinitecovermistake.jpg

I don't understand how a game cover even makes it to press without a spell check.

At least it's not on the scale of Revelaitons, but still.

Anyway, on to the game!

Even having Elizabeth, it took awhile to finally get her to do things relevant to combat. The pacing in general just seemed too slow to me, even if I understand them trying to not overwhelm the player.

It's not even so much Elizabeth herself that opens up combat options, but once you get her you just have more options in general. The first section there's like...two vigors and two or three different guns. After Elizabeth you hit Skylines and have more options vigor wise and there's all sorts of weapons scatted about in combat.

I'm getting really lucky with gear I think. Barely just met Elizabeth and I already have a few nice pieces. Like better shield recharge and lighting dudes on fire when I hit them with melee. Almost feels overpowered :lol

Best melee-related gear I've gotten:
30% chance of possessing an enemy you hit with melee. That shit is awesome.

Milchjon

Started a second round to see what I've missed and to play with the vigors a bit more.

Thought I'd play for a few minutes, but couldn't stop before I'd played another 2 hours.

I think I enjoy it even more this time around. I realized I really hadn't taken advantage of the vigors enough.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I might have missed it in the special thanks section or something, but completely axing Nate Well's name from the art credits seems fucking crazy.

Man, I've just died and lost a shitload of money to same handyman like 15 times in a row :/

EDIT: WTF this is seriously ridiculous. I've lost 1000 coins and have no shot at killing him and am about to just lose 1000 more if i keep respawning!

EDIT 2: Well apparently he disappeared or something cause I killed the remaining enemies in the area and now I'm progressing with the story without ever killing the handyman.

Top Bottom