• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Nobody can take a minute and see if the misspelling is on the 360 or PC cover too?

Fracas

#fuckonami
Something I was thinking about the ending:

When you go through the tear to Rapture, Booker operates the bathysphere. He's related to Andrew Ryan then. :eek:

Nobody can take a minute and see if the misspelling is on the 360 or PC cover too?

My 360 copy doesn't have it

About six or so hours in, I think. I just beat
Slate.

My guess for the ending so far:
Booker is actually Comstock and/or Elizabeth is Booker's daughter.
It seems like that's what they're hinting at at least, so I hope I'm way off.

Either way, fantastic game so far. They created a great atmosphere again.

Nert

It's a real head scratcher to me, but then I'm so invested in FPS permutations, it's rather like being the ornithologist who can't parse what a person means when he says a cuckoo and a Figbird are essentially the same.

Yeah, I think you're running into a lot of people who don't play many shooters because BioShock Infinite does a lot more to pull in a broader audience. I only play about two or three a year, myself.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Were you playing on easy mode?

No. It isn't hard, it just doesn't... click with me. I can't even really describe it. I was liking it just fine on the beach and looking around for items. Then, I get into combat and I just roll my eyes. Something about this game just turns me off of the combat really hard.

I want to enjoy the game. I liked Bioshock quite a bit when it came out. I was a big fan of the brodeo so I like to play the games that you guys worked on. This one, I will keep trying.

Something I was thinking about the ending:

When you go through the tear to Rapture, Booker operates the bathysphere. He's related to Andrew Ryan then. :eek:

well...
booker (the player's avatar) is the columbia-universe version of rapture's jack (another avatar) so i guess he kind of is. or i can't remember my bioshock 1 lore.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.

FartOfWar

Banned
No. It isn't hard, it just doesn't... click with me. I can't even really describe it. I was liking it just fine on the beach and looking around for items. Then, I get into combat and I just roll my eyes. Something about this game just turns me off of the combat really hard.

I want to enjoy the game. I liked Bioshock quite a bit when it came out. I was a big fan of the brodeo so I like to play the games that you guys worked on. This one, I will keep trying.

No that's perfectly fair. I thought you mentioned repeatedly dying and was gonna suggest dialing it down just to enable you to quickly zip through in search of a hook. If isn't working it isn't working.

Vire

Wait so you liked Bioshock 1's combat but not Infinite's?

tumblr_lstib8AOYb1r4wscto1_500.gif

I guess whatever floats your boat.

mxgt

Banned

I feel the exact same way.

Man, if this was an RPG or something I'd probably love it. As it is it's so-so. Visuals and atmosphere are stunning, as are some of the characters. Gameplay wise I really couldn't care less, combat is boring and tiresome.

Easily the weak part of the game for me.
Backtracking through the ruined city and fighting Lady Comstock's ghost and her resurrected hordes with guns and Vigors was tedious and really just felt kind of stupid.
But thankfully it picks up and gets interesting again after that. Love the game on the whole, but that part was indeed a real drag.

That was the weakest part of the game, for sure. I liked that it was non-linear and encouraged exploration, but what I didn't like was the constant, tedious, necessary backtracking and the
terrible boss battle in the graveyard.

sappyday

Digging it so far however the only thing disappointing is Elizabeth's AI. It's not as good as they made it out to be. There was even a time where she was stood in one spot and just wouldn't follow me. I don't know maybe it's because I'm playing the PS3 version.

Dead

well not really...yet
What the fuck the
lady comstock ghost
on hard is fucking impossible. I die too many times leading to her health always getting 100% regenned.

Will it affect the hard playthrough achievement if I drop the difficulty?

HoJu

Not halfway through the game, but I feel like the combat turned interesting once the sky-lines are in play. There is a freedom to the mobility and weapon choices, but it constantly demands you to improvise.

The hide behind cover corridor combat scenarios are sterile, and I can see why people compare them to CoD.

Ohwiseone

Yeah I don't know where the story is going anymore..I keep having a feeling but sense the
second rift, with the revolution happening, and booker being dead but not really
really threw me off, and I honestly am pacing out the end of the game, but I need to see this ending.

As of right now, I want this game to win ALL OF THE AWARDS.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Not halfway through the game, but I feel like the combat turned interesting once the sky-lines are in play. There is a freedom to the mobility and how you will handle the scenario, but it constantly demands you to improvise.

The hide behind cover corridor combat scenarios are sterile, and I can see why people compare them to CoD.

This is what I am trying to get to.

Guess Who

Banned
By the way, this game is completely balanced for two weapons. You could cheese the hell out of the combat if you could even carry four weapons.

Yeah, I don't get where this idea that a gun limit is inherently dumbing down came from - it's a design decision. In some ways it adds depth and challenge to a game, forcing you to think about what guns you really want to keep around and how they will be useful, and how you should upgrade them. If you design your game well around this, there's no reason it's inherently worse than a game where you can carry tons of guns at once.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, I don't get where this idea that a gun limit is inherently dumbing down came from - it's a design decision. In some ways it adds depth and challenge to a game, forcing you to think about what guns you really want to keep around and how they will be useful, and how you should upgrade them. If you design your game well around this, there's no reason it's inherently worse than a game where you can carry tons of guns at once.

It would definitely be broken if you had them all at once, but I do have to say I have mostly just swapping out to force variety on myself. I have been perfectly fine going sniper and shotgun, using crows to lock down for headshots(and leave traps on their dead bodies) while the shotgun is a bronco + shot. When I see other stuff like the carbine I really have no reason to use it given my success with these already.

HoJu

This is what I am trying to get to.
I feel like Irrational did the combat a disservice by not giving it an identity early on.
The game first gives you a pistol and machine guns, and the devil's kiss is basically a grenade.
Did they make it simple in order to ease CoD players into the game?

Anyone got tips on how to beat the
Ghost boss fight
?

Aside from using Charge, what worked for me was keeping my distance and attacking with a damage-upgraded Carbine. Occasionally I'd use the Devil's Kiss vigor to stun and/or kill clumps of her troops if they started to amass and cause problems. Regardless, I feel for you. Those fights are among the most tedious and frustrating in the entire game.

Not quite. You tend to just use the gun that is most readily available and keep a power weapon in reserve with these sorts of systems. Although more than most other games I tended to use up all the ammo in a weapon, drop it and get a new one, but that's also because there doesn't seem to be any way to upgrade your machine gun ammo capacity, and you can acquire more ammo without needing to be carrying the gun.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still early in the game, but just saw on twitter that the Looking Glass code (0451) is hidden in the game, continuing the tradition. Did anyone happen to find it?

I'm still early in the game, but just saw on twitter that the Looking Glass code (0451) is hidden in the game, continuing the tradition. Did anyone happen to find it?

It's the only code you have to find in the entire game, so yes.

Also, I like how Booker can fall from any height as long as he lands hook first. Makes sense. And that the guns must be made of some kind of special material not to be pulled towards the hook.
The Skyhook just feels like it's in the same because it's cool. I'm glad it's in there, the game clearly wouldn't be nearly the same without it, but it really makes no sense as far as I can see.

It would definitely be broken if you had them all at once, but I do have to say I have mostly just swapping out to force variety on myself. I have been perfectly fine going sniper and shotgun, using crows to lock down for headshots(and leave traps on their dead bodies) while the shotgun is a bronco + shot. When I see other stuff like the carbine I really have no reason to use it given my success with these already.

That's interesting because the carbine's my personal favorite. What I'm doing my first playthrough is purposefully using every weapon to see what I like and dislike so I know exactly what to upgrade for my 1999 runthrough. Also some weapons are better for certain battles than others.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I loved the Handcannon. I had to actively try to stop myself from just using it the whole game.

About to enter
Monument Island.
I'm really coming to enjoy Comstock, and I think the game is clearly hinting at
some sort of connection between him and Booker
. The sequences
in his blimp was a fun setpiece.

Top Bottom