• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
To be fair, people who don't upgrade their salts are in for a considerably less interesting time with the combat.

Dead

well not really...yet
I would love if Irrational made some DLC based around skyhooks and railings. That was definitely the highlight of the gameplay.
Yeah, Combat/Challenge arena or something would be cool.

Either way, just glad there will be more Infinite goodness in the future with the upcoming DLC :D

gdt

Can anyone tell me about how far I am in the game?

I...
just opened the tear for the gunsmith Mr. Lin, and now I went back to his gun shop in the alternate reality. Need to go to shantytown now to get his tools back.

50%-60% I'd say.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I appreciate how in the area I had to go through and trek back out of, the enemies I killed early on and got infested with the crow trap on death(which is damned good btw) still remained there.

Zeliard

How were people NOT Undertowing dudes off the city? I did the all the time. Very fun in big fights to start Undertowing people away while moving through skylines.

Haha yeah, thought that was one of the more obvious uses for it. I mean you're on a cloud city and the thing makes people fly back.

FartOfWar

Banned
There are some encounters that are in corridors though. Mostly in the beginning, which gives off a rough first impression.
Was that a conscious decision, to ease players into understanding the mechanics before experiencing the more open environments?

Yes, very deliberate.

I'm so happy some of you do this. It's how I play and part of what makes the "corridor shooter" charge seem so outlandish.

one of my favorite things in the game is Flying along a rail full speed, seeing a bunch of dudes below...aiming on a dude just right to get the prompt, drop down for the melee kill then quickly jump back on the rail to escape as gun fire erupts all around me. Such an adrenaline rush.

Just got the ram and water vigors which really compliment that play style.

Ghost23

Just got to the
part where you have to find the three tears
. It feels like it's stalling a little bit, but I know it will probably get better after this mission.

I get it though, at least early on. The beginning of the game before you start to actually get to skylines in combat seems fairly sterile, and at least when I was playing through it (on hard) it made far more sense to pop in and out of cover while maybe laying out a trap or two. I didn't have the creativity I wanted, partially because of the absence of some of the systems that are just now opening up (I just finished
Lady Comstock's Airship
) and partially because of the way the health is designed. If I didn't also lose health when I lost my shields (due to it stacking or something) I would probably take more chances and enjoy it more, at least before it opens up.

I think the hardest part about the beginning of the game is that melee does a metric shit-ton more damage than everything else regular enemies throw at you, and there's a lot of melee-based combat when you start.

Something else I consider is that with the regenerating shield, your first instinct is to always dive into cover until your shield regenerates, like most other games of this generation. But the further I get into the game, the more it pays to just keep moving instead of hiding to regenerate your shield. If you're mobile, you're just as likely to get your shield back up. Granted, again, the beginning of the game sort of restricts your mobility which is a shame.

I would love if Irrational made some DLC based around skyhooks and railings. That was definitely the highlight of the gameplay.

Yup. I'll keep saying it until the c(r)ows come home, a single hub open-world environment DLC based around Skyline traversal would be my dream and instantly sell me on a Season Pass.

Okay. Just met up with Elizabeth and am now in the
Upper Boardwalk of Battleship Bay
. I got to say
the whole lead up to her is fantastic. I like how there has been no combat since you arrived at Monumental Island. I really like this because it's a nice change of pace from all the fighting I've been doing, and with these sections, the more you put into it, the more you get out of it. The curiosity of the player really drives the enjoyment factor of sections like Monumental Island and Battleship Bay.

I'd say I've put in about four hours into the game. Dunno if that's fast or slow.

Edit: Forgot to mention,
The couple that keeps appearing throughout the game is the same couple that rowed you to the lighthouse, right?
I like them a lot. Great chemistry.

FartOfWar

Banned
I get it though, at least early on. The beginning of the game before you start to actually get to skylines in combat seems fairly sterile, and at least when I was playing through it (on hard) it made far more sense to pop in and out of cover while maybe laying out a trap or two. I didn't have the creativity I wanted, partially because of the absence of some of the systems that are just now opening up (I just finished
Lady Comstock's Airship
) and partially because of the way the health is designed. If I didn't also lose health when I lost my shields (due to it stacking or something) I would probably take more chances and have enjoyed it more, at least before it opens up.

That being said, skylines are just now popping up in combat. And it's awesome. I think even before the skylines started popping up in earnest, there was a missed chance to at least put some of those hooks up in the sky for players to escape to.

Fair enough. BTW, Liz's hp tossing is in part intended to encourage risk taking.

FartOfWar

Banned
How were people NOT Undertowing dudes off the city? I did the all the time. Very fun in big fights to start Undertowing people away while moving through skylines.

With the range increase UT is a beast. I was using that during a certain airship heavy part of the game like crazy.
Was mostly able to stay on mine and UT dudes on the next ship over.

A few other tricks: Undertow skyline riders off of skylines. Stick devils kiss traps on walls where skylines pass by.

Zeliard

one of my favorite things in the game is Flying along a rail full speed, seeing a bunch of dudes below...aiming on a dude just right to get the prompt, drop down for the melee kill then quickly jump back on the rail to escape as gun fire erupts all around me. Such an adrenaline rush.

Just got the ram and water vigors which really compliment that play style.

You've gotta get that gear that adds various effects to Skyrail jumps :>

Fair enough. BTW, Liz's hp tossing is in part intended to encourage risk taking.

I find she's quite timely with it too on 1999, heh. Saved my ass a few times. I play aggressively so she's nice to have around.

To all the people who ask where you are in the game, the voxophones are a pretty good estimate. I think I'm about 2-4 hours from the end in my playthrough and I have ~60 and I'm sure I've missed some. It's uneven at the beginning but once you get Elizabeth it's a fairly good correlation and way to tell how far in the game you are. Especially if you're doing a lot of exploring.

Jeff Green on twitter just remarked that the intro may be the best introduction to a game he has played since Half Life 1. The rest of the game is gonna knock em off his chair.

Jump on airship, bucking bronco, shoot everybody off the side, watch them fall to their deaths

I got a double headshot with the revolver once. As in one round went through two heads

Sogood.gif

Dartastic

Yeah, there were times that she definitely saved my butt where I made a stupid mistake. I dropped the difficulty down to medium and the combination of the difficulty drop and the opening up of the gameplay is really turning this into something incredible. I was losing too much money from dying on hard, and I really wanted to upgrade some of my abilities so I could experiment more. I can only imagine how hard it must have been to balance this properly.

Zeliard

Granted, again, the beginning of the game sort of restricts your mobility which is a shame.

Yeah that is too bad, not only for the combat but also for general movement around the environment. The Skyrail is a fun and very aesthetically-pleasing way to get around Columbia.

MormaPope

Banned
Jump on airship, bucking bronco, shoot everybody off the side, watch them fall to their deaths

I got a double headshot with the revolver once. As in one round went through two heads

Sogood.gif

I could never swap the Handcannon once I got it, I love that pistol so damn much.

Just
rescued Elizabeth and gave her the letter
, probably close to the end? Or maybe closer to 3/4 of the way through.

This game is like a Stephen King story when he was still super into drugs.

Vire

I wish you could use Vigors on the skyline.

Reigning death from above would have been sweet, but drop kicking is cool enough.

I could never swap the Handcannon once I got it, I love that pistol so damn much.

I just did my second hard playthrough, any the vast majority of that was with Handcannon and Shotgun in tow. They are both so devastating at their respective ranges. Mix that in with the Blood for Salt and you're just unstoppable. Even the final big battle is easy with that shit.

There's another Salt which is just hysterically op, the Winter Shield. Every time you leap on or off a Skyrail, you're temporary invincible for about 5 seconds. So I'm hoping off rails with abandon, laying down vigors of whatever I feel like, jumping on a rail, jumping right back, etc.

Also, whoever was the guy who's idea was it to play that mean-sounding piano key every time you get a headshot, give him a raise. That shit is so nasty.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I love that you get an ammo refill with Liz throws a gun.

Zeliard

One of my more memorable vigor-related moments came due to Elizabeth goofiness. Soon after I got the Shock Jockey, I shocked two guys conveniently placed in shallow water (as I imagine everyone did).

After their heads exploded and they disintegrated - as one would naturally expect to happen - Elizabeth gave her "those vigors seem powerful, I'll try to keep you stocked" remark. The woman is a genius of deadpan comedy.

Vire

With the range increase UT is a beast. I was using that during a certain airship heavy part of the game like crazy.
Was mostly able to stay on mine and UT dudes on the next ship over.

I ended up getting Undertow very late in the game and I didn't feel like using up all my money to upgrade an unknown quantity.

So I just stuck with what I knew was effective (Bucking Bronco and Shock Jockey.)

Bucking Bronco is the bestest.

FartOfWar

Banned
I just did my second hard playthrough, any the vast majority of that was with Handcannon and Shotgun in tow. They are both so devastating at their respective ranges. Mix that in with the Blood for Salt and you're just unstoppable. Even the final big battle is easy with that shit.

There's another Salt which is just hysterically op, the Winter Shield. Every time you leap on or off a Skyrail, you're temporary invincible for about 5 seconds. So I'm hoping off rails with abandon, laying down vigors of whatever I feel like, jumping on a rail, jumping right back, etc.

Also, whoever was the guy who's idea was it to play that mean-sounding piano key every time you get a headshot, give him a raise. That shit is so nasty.

The remarkably talented music director James Bonney handled that. He also composed and performed some of the music in the game in addition to producing and directing almost all of it. Keep your ear open as the dynamic combat music takes a great deal more than just headshots into account.

Vire

The remarkably talented music director James Bonney handled that. He also composed and performed some of the music in the game in addition to producing and directing almost all of it. Keep your ear open as the dynamic combat music takes a great deal more than just headshots into account.

I also notice with the special melee kills you give another cringe inducing noise. I'm not sure what instrument it was, but it's brilliant.

Ohwiseone

I just finished up the battle in
Emporia, which was the one that was shown in all pre-release videos. I must admit, the feeling of Dropping on a dude from the skylines, and then going back up on them was awesome, and when that Handyman drops it scared the crap out of me. Because all I did was hear him behind me.

and yeah the Intro is so good. Actually that whole sequence up to the
baptism
is good.

I had the overkill gear on my first playthrough along with the "get powered up after every kill up to 5x, for 10 seconds", and I'm running around the final area with the shotgun, just blazing through dudes. Every time you kill somebody, you hear a music cue, combined that with the sound of the gun and the explosion of electricity coming from my shots, I was just getting so hype off the violence. I think I might have slipped a maniacal laugh in there, on some real shit.

Amir0x

Banned

Just wanted to say it's incredibly cool how you keep adding in little tidbits about the game's development and helping people out with the title in this topic. You're like the PopUp Video of videogames.

But seriously, it's cool to see someone from the industry not afraid to roll up their sleeves and walk into the fire knowing the jungle neoGAF can be. You guys have really put on a good face for Bioshock Infinite I think, no matter what someone thinks of the game.

Zeliard

Just that sting when the combat ends is awesome.

Especially when you have almost no health left.

And you finished the last guy off by removing his head from his body with your Skyhook.

Vire

Just wanted to say it's incredibly cool how you keep adding in little tidbits about the game's development and helping people out with the title in this topic. You're like the PopUp Video of videogames.

But seriously, it's cool to see someone from the industry not afraid to roll up their sleeves and walk into the fire knowing the jungle neoGAF can be. You guys have really put on a good face for Bioshock Infinite I think, no matter what someone thinks of the game.

It's easy when nearly everyone adores the game. ;)

vazel

Banned
I finished the game today. I feel like I'm still in an emotional cooldown; I'll have to give myself another day or two before I replay the game. Only other games that have elicited these kinds of emotions out of me are Ico, SotC, Vagrant Story, Syberia, and Red Dead Redemption.

I also notice with the special melee kills you give another cringe inducing noise. I'm not sure what instrument it was, but it's brilliant.

Also, Elizabeth almost always gasps in horror when you do those vicious executions. "Oh God!" "Ugh!" "*gasp!*" Some of those damn things are really brutal, like the one where Booker puts on their neck, and then he uses his other hand to keep pushing the blade in to cut through the bone. Shit is real!

Top Bottom