• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Vire

I played on Medium and it was one of the best
final battles
I've ever played.

A giant Skyhook playground and the culminating usage of your full capabilities. Maximum fun.

Agreed, beat it on my first try and it was intense! I loved it.

The Motorized Patriots look incredible, no doubt about it. Their whole concept is fairly amusing.

I think the Motorized Patriot's reveal would have been a lot more awesome if they hadn't been heavily featured in pre-release trailers/info. Because seeing them as just regular statues in the first few hours, and then you get to the point where suddenly out of nowhere one starts up and attacks you: that could have been a very frightening experience.

Syrinx

Also, about Booker. I liked his (admittedly few) interactions with people at the beginning. But I was a bit annoyed when I was in the
church just after arriving in Columbia, and he kept saying that he needed to find a way into the city. I was like "Screw that, I'm looking everywhere." Didn't seem to do that otherwise, though, so I'm optimistic that things like that won't continue to be an issue.

FartOfWar

Banned
But the Motorized Patriots head pop off and sparks fly everywhere! Plus they have an interesting weakpoint in their back. So you can stun them with Shock Jockey and then make your away around.

Up until the head comes off the head too is a weak point.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I played on Medium and it was one of the best
final battles
I've ever played.

A giant Skyhook playground and the culminating usage of your full capabilities. Maximum fun.

Yeah, it was a blast on Medium. I was so glad I wasn't playing on Hard any more in the last few hours.

Kade

The (very, very late game)
airship defense
was rubbish.

Having to
focus on the ship's core, Songbird's availability and taking down ships made that whole encounter a stressful ordeal and it arguably had the most annoying enemy group compositions in the whole game

LowParry

-sigh- It's probably close for me to sleep because I'm not sure what I am suppose to be doing / not doing.

After finding the second tear, I'm facing the raised dead and mother ghost bitch and for whatever reason, can't figure out what I'm suppose to do. Kill her? All the dead? Meh. Help me out please :(

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
-sigh- It's probably close for me to sleep because I'm not sure what I am suppose to be doing / not doing.

After finding the second tear, I'm facing the raised dead and mother ghost bitch and for whatever reason, can't figure out what I'm suppose to do. Kill her? All the dead? Meh. Help me out please :(

Shoot her until she goes away

I failed it twice on hard, and was considering just pushing it down to Medium, but fuck that, I had to do it right, can't puss out on the final battle. Shit was stressful, but very satisfying. I really had to use everything that wasn't bolted down for that one.

Amir0x

Banned
Now I'm wondering how much the <Blackwater Bay Spoilers>
the giant Monument collapse is inspired by 9/11. It would make sense, the patriotic fervor that was the result of that terrorist attack, and seeing the city draw together and collectively look up in awe and horror as they watch their monument burning and pieces of it falling is extremely evocative of 9/11.

Zeliard

I think the Motorized Patriot's reveal would have been a lot more awesome if they hadn't been heavily featured in pre-release trailers/info. Because seeing them as just regular statues in the first few hours, and then you get to the point where suddenly out of nowhere one starts up and attacks you: that could have been a very frightening experience.

Haha yeah I agree. Such are the benefits of a total media blackout for those who managed it, I guess.

One thing I love about the Motorized Patriots is how aggressive they can get if you're trying to kite them around an object. At some point they just go "fuck it" and go full throttle around it to meet you.

Dead

well not really...yet
If there is one fault in the narrative/worldview of this game, and its a similar one to Bioshock, its that I don't really understand the context of everyday normal use of Vigors for regular citizens.

I wish there was a scene where you saw regular people using them in the context of a normal day, or something.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Having to
focus on the ship's core, Songbird's availability and taking down ships made that whole encounter a stressful ordeal and it arguably had the most annoying enemy group compositions in the whole game

Yep, exactly. On hard it's a frustrating ordeal against awful enemy combinations, each that has an obnoxious amounts of health.
There's basically zero wiggle room and it exemplifies the game's miserable checkpointing too. One early mistake and you might as well restart because you're fucked.

Kill her, also, set zombies on fire or electrocute them to melt their bodies. Elizabeth's mom can only raise dead people who are laying on the ground, stick with it.

I think I'll finish it tomorrow.

It's too bad all the destruction in Columbia took away some of the livelier colors in the game. Hazy red/purple doesn't do the game justice.

One thing I love about the Motorized Patriots is how aggressive they can get if you're trying to kite them around an object. At some point they just go "fuck it" and go full throttle around it to meet you.

Oh man, I was fighting a Patriot at one point and was out of Salt and all I had was a machine gun and a sniper rifle. So I was kiting around one of the wagons taking pot-shots at it, and then I hear it whir up and start charging around after me. I turned around and straight up bolted down the street in fright.

If there is one fault in the narrative/worldview of this game, and its a similar one to Bioshock, its that I don't really understand the context of everyday normal use of Vigors for regular citizens.

I wish there was a scene where you saw regular people using them in the context of a normal day, or something.

They do a good job of setting up Shock Jockey as one that has every day uses. But yeah, I agree the rest would have been nice to have some sort of real world application shown.

Vire

I think I'll finish it tomorrow.

It's too bad all the destruction in Columbia took away some of the livelier colors in the game. Hazy red/purple doesn't do the game justice.

Yeah I agree, not sure if the
haze
was a technical limitation or art design, but I didn't like it.

Dead

well not really...yet
Oh man, I was fighting a Patriot at one point and was out of Salt and all I had was a machine gun and a sniper rifle. So I was kiting around one of the wagons taking pot-shots at it, and then I hear it whir up and start charging around after me. I turned around and straight up bolted down the street in fright.

They do a good job of setting up Shock Jockey as one that has every day uses. But yeah, I agree the rest would have been nice to have some sort of real world application shown.
Yeah, Shock Jockey was the only one where I could see practical use of it in the world made sense.

But stuff like Murder of Crows? Uhhhh

Alucrid

Banned
One of my more memorable vigor-related moments came due to Elizabeth goofiness. Soon after I got the Shock Jockey, I shocked two guys conveniently placed in shallow water (as I imagine everyone did).

After their heads exploded and they disintegrated - as one would naturally expect to happen - Elizabeth gave her "those vigors seem powerful, I'll try to keep you stocked" remark. The woman is a genius of deadpan comedy.

She just keeps saying "Oh my god" after I tear off and fling a guys head fifty yards away. I would figure after the fiftieth time she would be used to it by now.

Just finished. No hyperbole, this may be my favorite game ever. I've for so long wanted an FPS that has real exploration, quality story, and great combat. No game has ever hit all three points as well as this one and on top of that it's creative and utterly unique in it's setting with plenty of variety thrown in. I was enthralled the whole way through, it felt like a real journey.

i am 3 hours in and loving it, one of the best games of this generation

Now I'm wondering how much the <Blackwater Bay Spoilers>
the giant Monument collapse is inspired by 9/11. It would make sense, the patriotic fervor that was the result of that terrorist attack, and seeing the city draw together and collectively look up in awe and horror as they watch their monument burning and pieces of it falling is extremely evocative of 9/11.

I didn't actually think about it like that until you mentioned it, but I can definitely see the parallels. The imagery was really powerful, I honestly stood there and looked at the monument burning for a good while before moving on.

FartOfWar

Banned
I beat it first try on 1999, the ship still had about 25% hp left even though there were groups of enemies just blasting at it for awhile.

Balancing for the broad range of play styles, player resourcefulness, etc. is a bitch. I wasn't part of that team but I feel for them.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Did...Elizabeth give herself a quick haircut when she went in that room to change outfits?

That scene where Booker picked up the (mid-game/Shantytown spoilers)
guitar and Elizabeth started singing to the little kid
might have been one of the sweetest/most heartwarming moments I've seen in gaming.

Quite a lovely moment.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
just started this. Looks great on my pc, all maxed out. I disliked Dishonored's artstyle and feared this would have had a similar one, but luckly it's not the case. The striking difference from the first Bioshock (shiny and sunny vs decadence and darkness) is puzzling, as I much prefer the latter. Story has potential, and I must admit the racist Columbia is more unforgiving than I thought. Gameplay is typical Bioshock, simple and quick, and exploration seems abundant and interesting. Good game indeed, for now

Zeliard

Yeah, Shock Jockey was the only one where I could see practical use of it in the world made sense.

But stuff like Murder of Crows? Uhhhh

If Murder of Crows existed in real-life Elliott would probably use it around the Irrational offices.

rac

Banned
Balancing for the broad range of play styles, player resourcefulness, etc. is a bitch. I wasn't part of that team but I feel for them.

I gotta thank you guys for making a shooter that doesn't make you ads to kill things. I absolutely loved the combat.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
So, is possession for less a significant decrease to cost? I have enough to buy it but it is basically all my money.

Top Bottom