• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Magnus

Agreed. Thanks FartofWar!

But damn, what is up with the save system in this game? I just lost 20 minutes of progress from yesterday, despite making sure to only quit out after I saw an Autosave go through. Brutally frustrating.

Vire

Also, Elizabeth almost always gasps in horror when you do those vicious executions. "Oh God!" "Ugh!" "*gasp!*" Some of those damn things are really brutal, like the one where Booker puts on their neck, and then he uses his other hand to keep pushing the blade in to cut through the bone. Shit is real!

Ow, don't think I saw that one.

I ended up just using the regular melee swipe as a quick finisher more often than not.

gdt

Just wanted to say it's incredibly cool how you keep adding in little tidbits about the game's development and helping people out with the title in this topic. You're like the PopUp Video of videogames.

But seriously, it's cool to see someone from the industry not afraid to roll up their sleeves and walk into the fire knowing the jungle neoGAF can be. You guys have really put on a good face for Bioshock Infinite I think, no matter what someone thinks of the game.

To be fair its a love fest. Remember tragic during the Darksiders II release? PC gamers were screaming bloody murder and he was no where to be found. I liked the game and I really like that guy too but it was just funny is all.

So tragic doesn't come in her to rip my head, I loved the pc port! If only because DS1 run like pure piss on my pc for some reason, while I can max DSII at 60fps.

FartOfWar

Banned
Agreed. Thanks FartofWar!

But damn, what is up with the save system in this game? I just lost 20 minutes of progress from yesterday, despite making sure to only quit out after I saw an Autosave go through. Brutally frustrating.

Not sure. OneLetter might be able to pursue that one.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm watching my housemate do the major Factory fight. You get Undertow just before it. So appropriate.

Derrick01

Banned
I think I'm finally getting near the end, or the last stretches of the game. I'm not sure if that last part I did was an area that people were complaining about before the game released but if it was then I understand it. There was way too much combat there.

Amir0x

Banned
It's easy when nearly everyone adores the game. ;)

To be fair its a love fest. Remember tragic during the Darksiders II release? PC gamers were screaming bloody murder and he was no where to be found. I liked the game and I really like that guy too but it was just funny is all.

So tragic doesn't come in her to rip my head, I loved the pc port! If only because DS1 run like pure piss on my pc for some reason, while I can max DSII at 60fps.

True enough, although with the negative comments I've seen FartOfWar address, he's been a pretty cool character about it. But you're right, it's not like the game is Too Human or anything. But it's still cool the WAY he contributes to the conversation, like a little running commentary like he's an awesome extra feature on a Blu-Ray disc or something.

baphomet

Checking again to see about how much longer I have left. I just
went inside Comstocks house after speaking with Lady Comstock.

I'd appreciate it if someone can give me an idea of how much longer I'm looking at before I finish.

Thanks in advance again!

FartOfWar

Banned

True, it's easy when people are happy. I like sharing what i see here with colleagues like James Bonney who don't look online and are as humble as they are talented. It makes me smile to see him get excited that people appreciate his work.

Vire

True enough, although with the negative comments I've seen FartOfWar address, he's been a pretty cool character about it. But you're right, it's not like the game is Too Human or anything. But it's still cool the WAY he contributes to the conversation, like a little running commentary like he's an awesome extra feature on a Blu-Ray disc or something.

Ah man, what I'd do for the old Valve developer commentaries throughout the game.

It would be awesome if there were hidden tears that you step into and you hear the developer... meta as fuck.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if it's possible for a Handyman to accidentally jump off the edge, or be pushed off.

I love that you get an ammo refill with Liz throws a gun.

One time I dropped a gun that was out of ammo in favor of another one that I didn't particularly want to use but I actually had ammo for it, and then Elizabeth immediately shouted out "Here!" and tossed me the gun I had just dropped filled with ammo again. I was pleased.

The pop sound when you catch a coin from Elizabeth owns.

Yeah, I don't mind Elizabeth constantly throwing me money because I love the little animation.

And to top off the Elizabeth-throwing-things post, the worst moment I've had is when Elizabeth tossed me health, and between Booker catching it and using it, an enemy shot and killed me. That sucked.

The last Handyman battle on my 2nd playthrough...he somehow ended up killing himself with damn near full health. That was uh...interesting! Not that I'm complaining; they're probably the most boring of the Heavy Hitters to fight on Hard, giant ass bullet sponges.

Magnus

Ah man, what I'd do for the old Valve developer commentaries throughout the game.

It would be awesome if there were hidden tears that you step into and you hear the developer... meta as fuck.

Amazing idea.

So, what carries over to a new game when one replays? So far, the only thing I've noticed that does is the game's record of how many Kinetoscopes you've seen. But that statistic only pops up when you see a new one.

Amir0x

Banned

oh man I would PAY FOR THIS in DLC form!

Edit: wait maybe I shouldn't have said that out loud in case the Bioshock boys are listening

um what I meant was it would be totally rad if they offered it as a free bonus download for all who purchased the game ^_^ *sheepish*

Magnus

Correction, it looks like all the counter stuff that pops up on the left is stored in a meta-save file for all replays of the game. I just looked through a telescope in this new game and my Sightseer in-game counter went up to 20/37.

Is there a way to see all this as a list somewhere in a menu? =

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Melee executions are also useful because you're invincible during the animation - at least it seems that way.

yeah, you are. Also while you take a medkit from Elizabeth.

One time I dropped a gun that was out of ammo in favor of another one that I didn't particularly want to use but I actually had ammo for it, and then Elizabeth immediately shouted out "Here!" and tossed me the gun I had just dropped filled with ammo again. I was pleased.

Yeah, I don't mind Elizabeth constantly throwing me money because I love the little animation.

And to top off the Elizabeth-throwing-things post, the worst moment I've had is when Elizabeth tossed me health, and between Booker catching it and using it, an enemy shot and killed me. That sucked.

...huh. I guess you are still vulnerable until you catch it. :p

The game's pacing is great. Right when Elizabeth and I
got to the ticket station, I said to myself, "Okay, I'm ready for some combat again." Bam! Died a few times because whenever I use a vigor it uses so much salt, but glad to see things pick up right when I wanted them too.

Ohwiseone

Fucking Hate the HandyMan (Men?)

Damn things come out of nowhere, usually end up scaring the shit out of me.

(This is a good thing though)

Stark

Banned
I liked how they handled the other heavy hitters. Especially the
Boys of Silence.
I think that's what it's called.

Correction, it looks like all the counter stuff that pops up on the left is stored in a meta-save file for all replays of the game. I just looked through a telescope in this new game and my Sightseer in-game counter went up to 20/37.

Is there a way to see all this as a list somewhere in a menu? =

Well that's good to know, I'm definitely playing through the game again once I finish it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I love fighting Handymen. They're so aggressive and mobile, and when you have the Skyrail it just takes it to another level. I don't get the hate! So much fun planning traps for them.
I could see them being frustrating if you aren't used to being mobile in combat. Judging by some responses in this thread, many people play conservatively (stationary, heavily weapons based), which means they haven't built-up the skill-set required to actually take them on effectively.

It's a tough design problem, I suppose.

But the Motorized Patriots head pop off and sparks fly everywhere! Plus they have an interesting weakpoint in their back. So you can stun them with Shock Jockey and then make your away around.

Also, they're big metal versions of George Washington, Abe Lincoln, and Zachary Comstock with a giant chaingun. There are just really visually interesting. And when they run, it sounds like the chimes of the Liberty Bell. FEAR NOT, FOR DEATH HAS STING, FOR FREEEEDOM!

I liked the crow and the Firemen guys too. I particularly liked the first crow guy fight, although that's probably because of the great track they picked for the battle.

Dead

well not really...yet
One of my favorite Handymen parts of the game so far was (story spoiler)
Seeing the Vox soldiers posing with the body of a dead handyman for a photograph, and it having a voxophone where you find out its the same handyman who was the husband who got stomach cancer at Finks factories and was "saved" much to his Wifes "delight"

gdt

True, it's easy when people are happy. I like sharing what i see here with colleagues like James Bonney who don't look online and are as humble as they are talented. It makes me smile to see him get excited that people appreciate his work.

Yeah man, I can do nothing more than praise this game to the high heavens. Really great and affecting on multiple levels, makes my brain this and really digs deep inside the themes of redemption and sacrifice. Hits your heart...hard.

You guys all did amazing work....I don't know what these long years were like, but as someone playing the end product I'd say it was worth it. A seminal game that can not be forgotten. I won't, I know that for sure.

Syrinx

So I finally got to start this game.

First I should say that I started on hard but had to switch to normal fairly early on, as I was getting infuriated with a section early on where
a turret, as well as a whole host of soldiers are shooting at you. But the problem here was that the turret was tearing me up, and you only have enough salt for one, maybe two chances of possession. If you missed (kinda hard, but still), you were fucked. And even then, possession only lasts so long.

Anyway, to the beginning:
the calm before the storm was strong in this game, but I don't think I seemed to love it quite the way others did. Not quite sure why. I think I would have either preferred that it had more places to explore, or that it was shorter. I will say though that the way this game handled a tutorial of sorts by using them as carnival games at the fair was incredibly cool, and I wish more games could incorporate their training more organically like that. Fully optional too.

The names of the places don't really stick out to me much. I just finished
fighting the Order of the Raven (or whatever they were called).
I miss the more open, explorable levels that were in BS and BS2, but I understand that they are there waiting for me, so that's good. The art and sound direction are absolutely superb. I know everybody's been praising the shit out of these aspects, but I felt I had to throw my support in as well.

I obviously haven't met Elizabeth yet. I'm interested to see how she affects combat.

gdt

One of my favorite Handymen parts of the game so far was (story spoiler)
Seeing the Vox soldiers posing with the body of a dead handyman for a photograph, and it having a voxophone where you find out its the same handyman who was the husband who got stomach cancer at Finks factories and was "saved" much to his Wifes "delight"

Awww, I don't remember running into that.

Dead

well not really...yet
Awww, I don't remember running into that.
Easy to miss. Its not on a story path
You have to re-visit the Shantytown during the revolution when youre heading back the Gunsmith. It's in front of the bar

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just finished. No hyperbole, this may be my favorite game ever. I've for so long wanted an FPS that has real exploration, quality story, and great combat. No game has ever hit all three points as well as this one and on top of that it's creative and utterly unique in it's setting with plenty of variety thrown in. I was enthralled the whole way through, it felt like a real journey.

Scratch

so apparently your allies
the vox
can step on your crow traps and set them off, causing them to be attacked and pissed. i had the murder of crows upgrade so all of these traps were set when i killed all the founder troops there, then when my allies walked through that same area, they set off every single trap and then turned on me :/

Amir0x

Banned
did anyone else think it was incredibly creepy when <Blackwater Bay Spoilers>
you go into that little patriotic convenience store and there's an upstairs "Employees Only" section and it's just a doll sitting across from an empty chair and in front of the doll is a table with two plates on it with half eaten burgers and fries?

Like was the creepy store owner sitting down and acting like the doll was his family for meals?
lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The (very, very late game)
airship defense
was rubbish.

Zeliard

The Motorized Patriots look incredible, no doubt about it. Their whole concept is fairly amusing.

I could see them being frustrating if you aren't used to being mobile in combat. Judging by some responses in this thread, many people play conservatively (stationary, heavily weapons based), which means they haven't built-up the skill-set required to actually take them on effectively.

It's a tough design problem, I suppose.

Yeah I do get that sense in general. If you're a heavily gun-based player who mostly just takes cover and pops out, the Handyman is probably a nightmare encounter because you want to always be moving against that guy. If you aren't accustomed to moving around effectively then you're probably going to have a rough go of it.

antitrop

If some guy managed to figure out a way to write 50,000 words about Spec Ops: The Line, someone should be easily able to write 500,000 about Bioshock Infinite and the Bioshock franchise.

Top Bottom