• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

That scene where Booker picked up the (mid-game/Shantytown spoilers)
guitar and Elizabeth started singing to the little kid
might have been one of the sweetest/most heartwarming moments I've seen in gaming.

Quite a lovely moment.

It's crazy how optional it was. I told my friend to explore everything in shantytown just for that incredible moment and he still missed it somehow.

Zeliard

I never bought that. I only used possession on the turrets just to get them off my back.

Possession is fucking awesome. Possess a dude and then use Shock Jockey and he becomes a walking tesla coil.

Heavy hitters can also be possessed. It doesn't last as long but it's hilarious and awesome while it does.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I never bought that. I only used possession on the turrets just to get them off my back.

Fuck it, bought it anyway. Went from 2 uses and half a bar of nothing to 5 full uses. Hopefully the suicide counts towards the gear that has a 40% chance for enemies to give me salt so I can become a possessing motherfucker.

I would have just done it and reloaded to test the difference but lord only knows how far back I would be set.

Trouble

Banned
Just finished. Great game.

The final set-piece
airship defense
didn't bother me that much, but it wasn't my favorite battle. I just took the high ground with a
sniper rifle
after dying once and it was pretty easy.

Handymen were brutal and terrifying, much like big daddies in the first.

The ending truly surprised me, in retrospect it probably shouldn't have, but I was just enjoying the ride too much to bother processing all the clues.

FartOfWar

Banned
Fuck it, bought it anyway. Went from 2 uses and half a bar of nothing to 5 full uses. Hopefully the suicide counts towards the gear that has a 40% chance for enemies to give me salt so I can become a possessing motherfucker.

I would have just done it and reloaded to test the difference but lord only knows how far back I would be set.

It's a great investment. Also try shocking patriots right before you possess them. Oops, beaten by Zeliard.

So how much do I have left GAF?

Got the airship back, Fitzroy dead, now in Comstock's tower I think? Just went through a turnstile that leads to an elevator.

The general combat has become more satisfying with everything unlocked (Bucking Bronco + upgrade + Handcannon, love it) but it has also become almost ONLY shootout to shootout as well. Enemies seem to have received a bump in HP
Once you get off the Airship
but new gun upgrades are available as well. My new favorite combo is Carbine/Handcannon.

Ohwiseone

Just checking in

I'm at
"find the 3. Tears" part. Just finished the bank, and I did the Lab earlier.

If someone can let me know, this is when the story starts to go right?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Watched the end sequence, proper finished.

*slowly pushes in chair*

GreekWolf

Sooo glad that I decided to FINALLY upgrade my PC for this game. I'm making the hyperspace leap from an ancient 9700 Pro and 1.5GB system RAM to an i5 3570k, GTX 660 2GB, and 8GB DDR3.

Hoping the new Nvidia drivers allow me to run Infinite at Ultra settings.

Sullichin

I only saw possession for less at one of the vigor stations, it's not showing up at the others for some reason. I suppose it will come back later?

synce

Finally finished it... excellent story but the game was nearly ruined with all the forced combat.

Someone's saying something plot-related on the intercom but you can't soak it in because there's a dozen dudes shooting at you from every direction. Other times you're forced to fight before advancing, which I didn't like.

The review scores I'm seeing right now are no doubt influenced by the game's huge budget.

Finally finished it... excellent story but the game was nearly ruined with all the forced combat.

Someone's saying something plot-related on the intercom but you can't soak it in because there's a dozen dudes shooting at you from every direction. Other times you're forced to fight before advancing, which I didn't like.

The review scores I'm seeing right now are no doubt influenced by the game's huge budget.

Or maybe people just enjoyed the combat like almost all of us here in this thread?

Just a thought.

antitrop

Watched the end sequence, proper finished.

*slowly pushes in chair*

50462ea2afa96f1e190008a6.gif

Ran into some kind of glitch in the good time club

After fighting waves of enemies (this isnt fun), I enter a door, kill two guys and get to another door where Elizabeth has to unlock it

But she wont because shes stuck in her scared state

So okay

I restart the checkpoint

But now I have to fight those waves of enemies

Man this is fucking dumb. Why did they take away the ability to save anywhere and put this dumb checkpoint system in there

Ughhhhj

Gorillaz

I will say tho for the final battle
I would have rather have the zepplin takedown from earlier but "beefed up" then what we got.

FartOfWar

Banned

Side note but the budget rumors reported on were just that: false rumors from an unnamed source. But just as dev hell became the narrative and stuck, so too will the 200 million stuff it seems.

Magnus

Does anyone else just eat and drink everything? I'm a fiend. I run around everywhere mashing Square just taking in all the food, irrespective of health and salt penalties and bonuses.

Also, do saltier food items in the game yield salt? I haven't been paying attention. Lol

FartOfWar

Banned
I will say tho for the final battle
I would have rather have the zepplin takedown from earlier but "beefed up" then what we got.
I know its not what youre saying but as an aside you can
board and manually take down every zeppelin in that sequence.

Riposte

Ending is pretty neat, but it isn't 999 levels of mind blowing. Just saying. I was wrong in my previous theory, but
I had a guess what this game would be about way back when it was revealed and they were showing Elizabeth's powers, and it was pretty much the ending (or the twist before the last twist). another "magic city" + "Infinite" title... not hard to imagine.
Well executed nevertheless.

By the end the combat does become interesting. It is just a shame it doesn't escape the common faults that come with "cover shooter with shield recovery". I don't think 1999 mode will fix that, it probably just makes it more important. All and all, a good game with terrible pacing in parts. 3/5 at worst, 4/5 at best, with me leaning towards the latter. Kind of surprised how much I like it compared to BioShock...

I imagine gears being random isn't really a good thing either. I'm sure that my experience would be quite different, for better or worse, with different gears. Storm + "shock aoe if you overkill an enemy" played a big role in some fights. For example I took down the
lady ghost
no problem all three times, though I think a Crank Gun played a big role for the second fight.

As in you're stuck on the geometry or do you not know where to go?

Talk to the woman who's showing off the possession vigor.

I guess geometry. I can't turn far enough to even view anyone.
The little thing comes up that says how many I shot and thats it. I cant back up and can only look left and right a little. Is this a glitch?

Just finished the game. I'm... just sitting here processing everything. I've sat here for quite a number of minutes thinking. Overall, I liked how it all came together, but there's just something that's just tearing me apart from inside about the ending and all that jazz.

JBuccCP

I had this awesome bug where I was on an airship as it turned sideways and got flung horizontally for what must have been dozens of miles. I could see the entire city off in the distance as well as the earth down below which was bathed in red from all the fighting going on (it was night). I had fraps running but didn't think to take a screenshot :(. Eventually I died and when I respawned I was frozen in place.

Top Bottom