• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

That fight on the
Boardwalk of Soldier's Field
is great. First time in a huge fight with Elizabeth, too. She works great. Love it when she throws me health and whatnot.

Game is awesome. I'm playing on normal which is pretty easy (only died once in the beginning) but it allows me to play very relaxed and use whatever vigor/gun I like to experiment with.

Can anyone tell me how far I am?

I just killed/released Lady Comstock.

Helmholtz

K, I'm stuck on
what I'm assuming is one of the last fights, where I can control songbird on Comstock's ship. I've failed it three times on hard difficulty. I have no idea what to do, any suggestions? I just can't seem to defend the core well enough...

Just
rescued Elizabeth from her tower and the following sections are

Probably the longest part in a shooter where no shooting was going on and I liked it.

Game is awesome. I'm playing on normal which is pretty easy (only died once in the beginning) but it allows me to play very relaxed and use whatever vigor/gun I like to experiment with.

Can anyone tell me how far I am?

I just killed/released Lady Comstock.

You are basically at the final act of the game. You probably have between two to five hours left depending on how slowly/quickly you play through the game.

daycru

Gave the last battle six tries, taking it back to RedBox. Always run out of ship energy and it literally makes me sick, the frame rate on 360 makes has me really queasy. I had a glitch getting there where I ended up there before the scripting said I was supposed to. Ended up skyrailing around for 20 minutes before loading my checkpoint.

The parts where you aren't shooting are sublime. Columbia gave me a feeling that no other game world has, it was a privilege to explore. The shooting was mostly fun, but it just felt in the way.

Harpuia

Guys how far am I from the end? I just got up to the part where
I have to go find Comstock while the Vox Populi are revolting.

Sblargh

Banned
Surprised that any student of history would frame that as "both sides are bad baloney." The French Revolution is hardly the historical outlier, rather it's the norm.

But the French Revolution, with all its bad, was still progress. It did ended monarchy and it did paved the way to democracy eventually.

Revolution is a bloody busisness, it is a civil war with all the horror that it brings with it. It's always a question of how much do you condemn or forgive the revengist sentiment; to me, living like they were, some cruelty is to be expected, even nihilism rather than progress is to be expected, revolutions like that are only partly based on philosophy, they are mostly a boiling point.

And then what I felt was that given that Vox's anger was understandable, even justified, and that's not how the game wanted us to feel, it pushed the point by having the characters say it out loud how both sides are the same, or by having Daisy
going all "har har har" and "I'll murder little children"
. Both sides of the balance have plenty of blood and wrong on them, but it felt like the narrative wanted to artificially balance them.

I have played this for about 5 hours now and I am not blown away but it is great. If I am to compare it to the original Bioshock I think the battles and atmosphere in the first was better at least to this point. So far most of the gun battles in Infinite have been against large crowds of enemies in large open spaces. I don't feel the powers are as effective since they are more crowd control based where in the first it was more for one on one battles. The first game had better pacing, new enemies would appear regularly plus you had the Big Daddy's in the mix as well. It had the prep for battle moments where you could set traps and think of strategies. So far in Infinite enemies simply pop out and start a big gun fight where I find myself hiding behind cover and slowly popping out to shoot them almost CoD style because my vigor power runs out so fast. I can see the potential for epic battles when more powers, guns and skylines are involved but for now it doesnt feel as interesting as the first.

The pacing is off as well as there are some huge gaps in the action. I understand the need to get to know Elizabeth but come on give us a bit of action mixed in. I really dislike the decision to do the whole only two guns at time thing. I love the weapon wheel as it allows you to use what you want for each battle, it is the difference between you controlling a battle and you reacting to one. I also don't like the removal of stored health and magic healing items. It makes me feel like a scavenger, in the middle of a fight scavenging is not an option. Of course now you have a shield making it even more like Halo...I am starting to see why I am not as engaged as the first. Anyway I have yet to have a battle where I am using skylines, Elizabeth, and a bunch of powers so I am sure it gets much better.

The game is beautiful I must say and I do really enjoy the new setting. The story seems interesting, the themes are very strong. Elizabeth has been extremely impressive so far, she reminds me of a Disney princess who is wowed at the world. So full of innocence and child like wonder except instead of being in a Disney movie she is stuck in racist filled hellhole with a prince who brutally murders hundreds of people. The game comes alive when the two are talking back and forth making it much more interesting than the silent protagonist crap of the first game. I like the optional exploration, its crude and basic but at least it allows for something other than just moving forward.

I have played the game using the move and it works well enough. My biggest issue is the button layout which is horrendous, I don't know what moron decided on layout but fire him cause you aren't allowed to change it. I don't think its adding anything to the experience where many of the wii games were made with wiimote in mind so they make better use of it, I may go to a controller.

Its great so far but I think it wont be as great as the original was.

I enjoyed the game. Top game after Bioshock 1 this gen

One thing I liked more about BS1 is the vigor. In this one, I only used 1 90% of the time (possession), this game felt more like a shooter.

In BS1 the vigors were so much fun. Used it most of the time

Helmholtz

Man I hope you edit that spoiler tag quick.

EDIT: Oh, EviLore, thanks.
Oh crap, did I screw up my spoiler tags? Sorry guys, hope nobody saw anything. And thanks Evilore!

Anyway, finished the game. I'm kind of confused, gonna head to the spoiler thread. But I'm pretty sure I liked what I saw, a lot.
I enjoyed the game. Top game after Bioshock 1 this gen

One thing I liked more about BS1 is the vigor. In this one, I only used 1 90% of the time (possession), this game felt more like a shooter.

In BS1 the vigors were so much fun. Used it most of the time
Wow, that's interesting. I relied on my vigors (crow, bronco, electric shock to name a few) all the time, probably equally as much as guns.
just finished, good game. is it true you have all your guns on the pc version?
2 gun limit on the PC as well

Elixist

just finished, good game. is it true you have all your guns on the pc version? its seriously fuckn lame havin 2 guns on you the whole time in the 360 version. great to amazing visuals, good character arc, really fun shootouts. lifeless npcs take me out of the experience and on hard having only 2 guns is frustrating, terrible framerate on a couple sections (360) im also sick of scavenging in games. gotta hit dat button to get dat pellet! id rate it a 8.5.

Just had that first fight in the
Hall of Heroes. It's that town-looking area.
I fought through the combat once, then I noticed the skyhooks. I started the game back to the previous checkpoint and became a lot more aggressive with the skyhooks. I died several times but that's only because I have low health I think.

This game is a lot more fun when you're able to fly around the combat spaces.

FartOfWar

Banned
But the French Revolution, with all its bad, was still progress. It did ended monarchy and it did paved the way to democracy eventually.

Revolution is a bloody busisness, it is a civil war with all the horror that it brings with it. It's always a question of how much do you condemn or forgive the revengist sentiment; to me, living like they were, some cruelty is to be expected, even nihilism rather than progress is to be expected, revolutions like that are only partly based on philosophy, they are mostly a boiling point.

And then what I felt was that given that Vox's anger was understandable, even justified, and that's not how the game wanted us to feel, it pushed the point by having the characters say it out loud how both sides are the same, or by having Daisy
going all "har har har" and "I'll murder little children"
. Both sides of the balance have plenty of blood and wrong on them, but it felt like the narrative wanted to artificially balance them.

Motivation behind significant social upheaval is almost always justified, but as you say those upheavals also loose the active volcanoes that lie simmering beneath all societies. And when these erupt those personalities that seize the reigns are frequently Robespierres, Stalins. But I wouldn't take everything DeWitt says as an attempt to push a point or an attitude on the audience.

Petrichor

What do people choose for their infusions on 1999 mode - is there any impetus for me to choose non-regenerating health over regenerating health (i.e do you get more non-regenerating health?) - so far I'm just splitting them between salt capacity and shielding.

What do people choose for their infusions on 1999 mode - is there any impetus for me to choose non-regenerating health over regenerating health (i.e do you get more non-regenerating health?) - so far I'm just splitting them between salt capacity and shielding.

I maxed shields out first and then salts. Worked quite well, with maxed out salts and possession, you can make most battles a cakewalk.

Slowly doing my health now.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Fantastic game. Really enjoying the narrative and the world they have created. I enjoy the combat as well which is nice since i dont normally play first person shooter games. This will probably be the third first person shooter that i ever finish.

FartOfWar

Banned
Salts and shields.

t-ramp

just finished, good game. is it true you have all your guns on the pc version? its seriously fuckn lame havin 2 guns on you the whole time in the 360 version. great to amazing visuals, good character arc, really fun shootouts. lifeless npcs take me out of the experience and on hard having only 2 guns is frustrating, terrible framerate on a couple sections (360) im also sick of scavenging in games. gotta hit dat button to get dat pellet! id rate it a 8.5.
No, you only get two guns at a time on PC. Not sure how that's really a problem.

Just got past the
Hall of Whores
last night. Hopefully will get a couple more hours in tonight.

SmithnCo

Yeah, I'd like to know as well. Salts seems pretty useful off the bat because you can spam possession and whatnot.

StuBurns

Banned
The two guns things was never an issue at all for me. I know why people are put off by it, I think they just associate it with that awful thing in shooters of placing needed weapons just before specific encounters, as it sign posts the game in a really transparent manner, but there's none of that at all.

katkombat

Banned
Got it today and got a bit past when you get the skyhook. Entered the Blue Ribbon (maybe thats the name?) and turned it off but damn its great and I'm not sure why but the VA does a phenomenal job

SmithnCo

The two guns things was never an issue at all for me. I know why people are put off by it, I think they just associate it with that awful thing in shooters of placing needed weapons just before specific encounters, as it sign posts the game in a really transparent manner, but there's none of that at all.

Yeah, having more guns would probably break the balance and remove the urgency to get more guns/ammo by searching or from Elizabeth in battle, which can be fun.

Mr. F

Banned
Funny to read the varying opinions on difficulty levels. Hard has been pretty challenging so far, been dying all over the place. Granted I'm not very good at shooters but despite biting the dust a few times per encounter its still been a lot of fun.

Ironically where my experience seems to differ is that Handymn haven't been all that difficult - thanks to a bit of gear I found that boosts damage on them by 50%.

Vire

Is Troy Baker the best the VG industry has to offer? Lately he's been really hitting it out of the park...

I love you Nolan, but I dunno!

vesp

is there a way to go back to a previous save or force a respawn, im stuck in a falling through the world loop near the end of the game and don't know how to get out of it.

Derrick01

Banned
Is Troy Baker the best the VG industry has to offer? Lately he's been really hitting it out of the park...

I love you Nolan, but I dunno!

Nolan has some range. I'm not too familiar with this guy's work but everything I've heard him in sounds relatively the same.

Found an easy way to beat the Graveyard boss (
Lady Comstock
) on Hard if you need it.

PUDDLE GUN.

Hide in the tomb with he four medkits (not the tunnel) Wait for her to appear outside and fucking launch everything at her. If your aim is right, you can get a whole chuck of health in just one clip of the
Puddle Gun
. I did not even have to use Salts, but threw a few sock Jockey out there too.

Also, if you are stuck for money and items don't forget that before you turn right to enter the Graveyard - the place where the ground looks to be completely fallen and impassable - is actually passable. Just continue straight foward there to find a new area. You can probably collect around $700 in that area alone/ There is also a Patriot and Fireman in this area along with about 5 Lockpick Doors.

Onward!

For that encounter I spammed Murder of Crows for the
grunts
and just
shoot banged the Lady until she left
. My salts were maxed by that point and I was aware of the medkit tear, so I didn't have to worry too much. The most trouble I had in the game were from the handymen types.

Top Bottom