• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Elixist

and to clarify my 2 gun complaint, it comes down to me wanting to have the 2 guns thats most effective for most situations. makes me not want to be creative. ill just spend my money on those guns and be boring. i wouldve loved to have 4 guns then i can have my staples and a couple experimentals/heavy weapons for heavy hitters. why carry around this grenade launcher that im gona run out of ammo quick for when i dont kno wat the next situation needs, even tho id like to. why spend time with this heater gun i rarely see. playing thru the game again id be more comfortable trying different guns causse ill be familiar with wats ahead, but i dont care to play thru again.

I didn't think Booker's voice acting was that great tbh. It was fine, but nothing outstanding, and kind of boring.

In his defense, Ken stated in an interview that he directed Baker to dial things back so he could come across more neutral. This was to avoid leading the audience as it were, or seeming at odds with the player's emotions.

It's a smart idea, but might actually have ended up less effective, perhaps because this is a first person game.

Ridesh

Banned
Thank you Irrational, what a fantastic ride, perhaps my favorite game of this generation. I'm already with the Season Pass in hand, salivating for more content.

Is Troy Baker the best the VG industry has to offer? Lately he's been really hitting it out of the park...

I love you Nolan, but I dunno!

Yes, Troy Baker knocked it out of the park.

I'm in the
history of Lady Comstock area in the Hall of Heroes, and just got down with that fight where you first use the tears. These are great! I loved making choices about which to choose and when. Judging from that fight, they make the combat a lot more dynamic.

More of that fight please.

Vire

I'm in the
history of Lady Comstock area in the Hall of Heroes, and just got down with that fight where you first use the tears. These are great! I loved making choices about which to choose and when. Judging from that fight, they make the combat a lot more dynamic.

More of that fight please.

There's more to come, plus the integration of skylines in bigger arenas.

It's pretty damn fun!

Vire

How hard is 1999 Mode, compared to say, Halo on Legendary or something? Thinking of doing a run.

I loaded it up, got to the first combat section, died because I was careless, it then kicked me back to the main menu screen because I had no cash to pay for my death and I said "Yep, I'm done with 1999 mode".

antitrop

I loaded it up, got to the first combat section, died because I was careless, it then kicked me back to the main menu screen because I had no cash to pay for my death and I said "Yep, I'm done with 1999 mode".

I've watched two people on TwitchTV do precisely this.

Ceebs

The two guns things was never an issue at all for me. I know why people are put off by it, I think they just associate it with that awful thing in shooters of placing needed weapons just before specific encounters, as it sign posts the game in a really transparent manner, but there's none of that at all.

What I do not like about only having 2 guns is that I have to drop one of my preferred weapons to try out a new one, and there is no way of knowing when I can get the old one back again if I hate what I picked up.

If I had all the guns at my disposal I would be more inclined to try new things without having to worry about getting caught in one of those giant fire fights with a worthless weapon.

Fracas

#fuckonami

I've watched two people on TwitchTV do precisely this.

3dNGSC6.gif

SmithnCo

Does it let you reload a checkpoint?

Vire

monsty pls

I believe in you
rage quitting halfway through

:lol

I could do it, I just don't have the patience anymore.

I just recently did New York Minute mode in Max Payne 3 where you can't die or else it restarts the entire level (Each level being 40 to 60 minutes long) It was an interesting experiment in testing my patience since half the cutscenes were un-skippable...

It did feel pretty awesome when I finally did it though.

Syrinx

Been playing all afternoon. Stopped just after I first got to
First Lady's Airship.

Holy SHIT did this game ever hit its stride! Favorite part of Bioshock is going through and exploring every room in the world that I can, and ever since I picked the game back up today the game has been letting me do that.

Combat has also gotten much better as more vigors become available and you get more infusions that let you use them more. I'm rather fond of
Murder of Crows
myself. And the way Elizabeth opens tears in combat also opens up things more, though I have to say that I don't really take as much advantage of these as I could with how hectic the combat is.

As for the world, there's really nothing left to be said that hasn't been said elsewhere, but in this regard,
the Hall of Heroes is one of my favorite Bioshock areas ever. The Battle at Wounded Knee bit left a particularly lasting impression.

Well, I'm hooked.

Elixist

What I do not like about only having 2 guns is that I have to drop one of my preferred weapons to try out a new one, and there is no way of knowing when I can get the old one back again if I hate what I picked up.

If I had all the guns at my disposal I would be more inclined to try new things without having to worry about getting caught in one of those giant fire fights with a worthless weapon.

this. i mentioned in my complaint that it makes me want to be less creative it sucks.

:lol

I could do it, I just don't have the patience anymore.

I just recently did New York Minute mode in Max Payne 3 where you can't die or else it restarts the entire level (Each level being 40 to 60 minutes long) It was an interesting experiment in testing my patience since half the cutscenes were un-skippable...

It did feel pretty awesome when I finally did it though.

Ugh, I can't imagine doing that shit. I really like MP3, but so many damn near unskippable cutscenes = me never replaying that game any time soon

sqwarlock

this. i mentioned in my complaint that it makes me want to be less creative it sucks.

I pretty much stuck with the machine gun + carbine combination for most of the game because of this. Experimenting with other weapons was fine, but being forced to rely on only two weapons made me stick with the ones that I knew best.

Elixist

Not unless you have the cash boyo.

Yeah, that was the most frustrating part. Besides that, I actually really like the game.

Hoboken was the highlight!

lol thats pretty ridiculous, wats that a wasted hour for the intro? guess if you made it past the first battles you'd be okay tho. wats the money penlalty for dying in this mode, like 200 bucks?

RedStep

lol thats pretty ridiculous, wats that a wasted hour for the intro? guess if you made it past the first battles you'd be okay tho. wats the money penlalty for dying in this mode, like 200 bucks?

To clear this up:

If you have the cash (ranges between $50-$100, I believe; if you have $100 it will take $100 but $50 is the minimum), it brings you back through a door to the combat encounter. The enemies you killed are still dead.

If you don't have the cash, it drops you back to the main menu and you can reload a checkpoint (which may be a bit back and the enemies will definitely be alive again). Don't know why it doesn't just RELOAD the checkpoint instead of making you load the menu and then load the level again, but whatever.

leng jai

i couldnt tell u they were tough for me, but the ravens vigor seems effective at stunning them.

Crows and then shoot worked well for me. Just keep stun locking him.

Crows + SHOOT EM IN THE HEARRRT.

Haha yeah that's what I've been doing but it takes ages and he still kills me half the time with his charge.

They're releasing a hard copy of the soundtrack of this game right?

Just finished. What a ride.

Combat gets to be a lot of fun about 50% in. I think I would have liked it sooner if I hadn't started on 1999 which demanded more care than I wanted to give to it. I rushed at the beginning and didn't really explore the mechanics properly. I found myself liking gun upgrades more than Vigor upgrades and didn't really use a lot of them but a few times. I pretty much stuck to Bucking Bronco/Hand Cannon or Shotgun for one-hit headshots on close enemies. Occasional Shock Jockey on enemies that cannot be juggled with Bucking Bronco, the occasional Possession on a turret and Undertow
to quickly knock enemies off airships into oblivion.

Loved the skyhook and the skyline arenas. Tons of fun. The feeling never gets old.

Some shoot-out scenarios aren't great.
Each Lady Comstock encounter was a chore and I HATE it when new mechanics are introduced in the FINAL BATTLE (Songbird).

Elizabeth is awesome. To be honest I expected more interaction with specific little things in the environment based of the E3 demo but she is ultimately still entertaining and actually very useful. Hated the moments when she wasn't around.

I think too much of the story unfolded at the end. It was magnificent but I can understand the sentiment that maybe the game story would have been better served if it wasn't a linear shooter.

Gotta be one of the best single-player shooters this gen. Core gunplay is so profoundly improved over Bioshock (which I wish I had finished before Infinite as going back is only going to be that much harder).

Crows + SHOOT EM IN THE HEARRRT.
I'd only bother shooting them in the heart if I had Salt to spare for Crows. Otherwise find yourself a Volley Gun and dismount from a skyline and take a few shots while they are getting ON the skyline to shock you off, though you can probably sneak a few shots in with any weapon. Alternatively you can do a drive-by with a shotgun or handcannon from the safety of the skyline. Without Salt they are rough head on.

I only recall one Handyman where a skyline isn't available. Don't be afraid to run to a Dollar Bill to restock if there is one nearby.
I maxed shields out first and then salts. Worked quite well, with maxed out salts and possession, you can make most battles a cakewalk.

Slowly doing my health now.
Really wish I had maxed out Possession. It would have made some late-game battles so much easier.

Raxus

I would rate it 5/10

H4 legendary was like a 2/10 to me.

Come at me Fracas! :p

Really? I think it is a 2/10. If you beat the game on hard you basically know what to do and what tonics and guns you want to upgrade. Being good with your money is half the battle. Scavenging takes care of the rest. Pick up every upgrade and dollar you can find and manage your salts properly and you will only have troubles in a few obvious locations.

Top Bottom