• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Okay wtf is up with the lack of carbines. I dropped mine and now I feel like I'm stuck with this stupid ass machine gun until the end of the game :(
I held onto my Carbine as long as I could. Unfortunately in the last few areas I wasn't able to keep up enough ammo and there were no vending machines (or at least Dollar Bills) so I had to ditch it. Don't love the machine gun either personally but I'll upgrade it this time around because it certainly seems common.
Hand Cannon for the win
Love this thing. Run out of ammo on your other gun when an enemy is right in front of you? Quick change to Hand Cannon and blast their head off.

dejay

Banned
Might have to try the hand cannon next play through - I liked it but was playing with controller on PC for the comfy couch experience and with aim assist turned off it's a bitch to wait for it to cycle to the next round if you miss.

Might have to try the hand cannon next play through - I liked it but was playing with controller on PC for the comfy couch experience and with aim assist turned off it's a bitch to wait for it to cycle to the next round if you miss.

It is definitely fun but I found
as the areas got bigger and more open I needed longer ranged weapons to avoid getting killed so much. That's why I switched to the machine gun and sniper combo.

Cramoss

I loved the
music from the future stuff and its subtle uses throughout Columbia. It kinda freaked me out specially when I found the tear with the song Fortunate Son, I didn't know what the fuck was going on.

Thought it was cleverly done.

antitrop

I feel bad for those who fell victim to the poor balance of the final battle on higher difficulties. On Medium it was a blast and nothing but enjoyable. Just a huge playground to use all of your abilities on as many enemies as you can handle. No frustration. Just glory.

I feel bad for those who fell victim to the poor balance of the final battle on higher difficulties. On Medium it was a blast and nothing but enjoyable. Just a huge playground to use all of your abilities on as many enemies as you can handle. No frustration. Just glory.

I plan on doing a medium and easy run-through for this very reason

GorillaJu

The final fight wasn't frustrating for me on hard - it was challenging. I had a lot of fun with it, getting to use all of my abilities that I've acquired over the game. I failed it once and beat it the next time, you just have to be on your toes and be an aggressive badass.

I hate those fucking rocket enemies. They take way too many hits to kill on hard. Best way to deal with them is Bronco those fuckers up in the air, then use Charge to send them flying off into the stratosphere (or some poor sap's house in Alabama)

On medium I failed the first time I didn't realise what you had to do, I didn't really enjoy it though.

Also little survey who chose the bird and who chose the cage? I went with the cage because a red kite tried to kill me once when I was playing cricket and I have hated birds ever since.

Lunar15

Game was fun. Nothing particularly revolutionary, although I liked skyrails and tears.

Story? Ehhhhhhhh... Not my cup of tea, I suppose.

I can completely understand why people would consider this their favorite game.

Gorillaz

How do you even start this on 1999 mode? Does it only kick in after you beat the game and will starting a new game wipe out any chance of going back to playing on my old file/game that I beaten? Cause I know the last time I played a bioshock the save mechanics fucked up everything

Dresden

How do you even start this on 1999 mode? Does it only kick in after you beat the game and will starting a new game wipe out any chance of going back to playing on my old file/game that I beaten? Cause I know the last time I played a bioshock the save mechanics fucked up everything

konami code on the main menu unlocks it

Dug

Banned
Yeah that last fight was a bitch, because there was nowhere to hide and take cheap shots.
Easiest for me.
I sat in the far left corner with a sniper. Spammed Crows and kept on shooting the ghost. Once I took out the volley gun guy it made camping a lot easier.

Any tips on this final sequence?! Playing on medium, starting on my fourth try (kill me). Especially a good way to get rid of these waves of patriots. Ugh

I feel like I only have enough time to use Songbird on the ships, and when he's recovering from those big zeppliners, is especially when I'm getting creamed by patriots.

On hard it just makes you utilize traps more than you may like to. Once you know the pattern, it is pretty easy to manage.

There are a few other parts on Hard that made you do that as well, makes me wonder how some people beat those.

Any tips on this final sequence?! Playing on medium, starting on my fourth try (kill me). Especially a good way to get rid of these waves of patriots. Ugh

I used
Devils kiss traps on the choke at the bow of the ship to take out a lot of their health then just keep firing at them. Then pick off the stragglers. Worked well for me.

Riposte

Some full powered Devil Kiss with the Storm gear destroys fools.

EDIT: I am rather unimpressed with combat music in this game.

JoeFenix

You need to take out the big Zeplins or else the Patriots will just keep coming.
Use Song Bird on the big Zeplins to take them out

I like to possess one of the Patriots and let them duke it out a bit while I snipe the other dudes. There's also a RPG rack behind the energy core that you need to defend so you can use that to take out the weakened Patriots.

Basically the fight is all about resource management and knowing what to prioritize.
The cooldown for Song Bird is dependent on what his last target was, he takes much longer to become available after you send him on a Zeplin or Airship but he comes back quickly if used on the main deck to take out ground troops.

You're going to be juggling alot of things in this fight but try to prioritize taking out the stuff that really damages the core, that's what I did in 1999 mode and I got through this on my third attempt. I personally just rocked the Sniper/Hand Cannon combo for most of the game with the occasional RPG thrown in to take care of special foes.

Possession and Bucking Bronco were my go to Vigors, spending the cash to upgrade Possession was REALLY crucial. Cuts in half the salt usage, essentially giving you twice the amount of uses out of it, glad I had that before that fight!

I feel like I only have enough time to use Songbird on the ships, and when he's recovering from those big zeppliners, is especially when I'm getting creamed by patriots.

Use songbird sparingly, all the way up until the patriots. Once the patriots are on the battlefield, focus on the zeplins by boarding them and destroying them from the inside. Then, use songbird to neutralize any ground troops surrounding the core

DTKT

You dont have to use Songbird on all the big Zepellins. You can use the sky rails in order to board them and sabotage the engine. At least, that's something you can do for the first two.

JoeFenix

You dont have to use Songbird on all the big Zepellins. You can use the sky rails in order to board them and sabotage the engine. At least, that's something you can do for the first two.

I didn't even know that, pretty cool!

It felt like suicide to ride the rails in 1999 mode in that fight so I guess that's why I never tried that, will definitely give it a shot on replays.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm starting to really like 1999 mode. It feels like the combat is only clicking just now. I had so many moments yesterday that put a smile on my face. The crow upgrade is... invaluable. More guys means more traps after they die. Result? Mayhem. It's amazing to see 3 of 4 dudes running and screaming with crows above their head, and it only cost you 1 cast of crows. And in their crazed state, they started running into shock traps
put there by Slate
To me, this is an absolutely essential upgrade. And you can always spice it up with shock or fire.

Smile n°2: Possession. I'm only now seeing how useful it can be. Yesterday I had an encounter with a few guys left, one of them an rpg guy. I thought possession wouldn't work on them since it would be too powerful, but it does. A stand-off ensued and my puppet blew the others away. But then! I hadn't seen their suicide animation yet... Possess an rpg guy and watch him die, it's priceless. So great that there are suicide variations for every weapon type.

Smile n°3: Starting to play like you're doing the E3 demo. This difficulty has completely changed the way I play. On medium I wouldn't use the skylines that much, but now I abuse them since going fast on them is a great way to not get hit. Hitch a ride, skyline strike, get back on, land on an airship; shock, bronco & shotty an rpg guy into the sky.

Yesterday I had the most fun I've had with the game yet... and it's on 1999 mode. I adore the combat. tbh, on this mode the very beginning is no fun at all, but once you get the crows and a few shield upgrades... madness ensues.

And I've unlocked the framerate on ps3. It tears like a motherfucker (quite possibly the most tearing I've ever seen in a game), but the game looks and plays way better. I got used to it, not going back.

1999 mode. fuck yeah.

Neiteio

Someone tell me how far I am: I'm currently
seeking the three tears, following the "ghost" of Lady Comstock
. I've been incredibly thorough, scouring each area from top to bottom -- and this current area,
Emporia
, is filled with tons of shops and apartments behind locks, on which I'm using my many picks.

It's also been full of many revelations, including the explanation to the city's technology, as well as where vigors and such come from.
A recording by Jeremiah Fink indicates he has been watching a botanist across time-space via the tears, leading to his vigors and automatons, and his brother has been recording the notes of artists in other times, hence music from the '80s and '90s. And the presence of these tears, it would appear, are the result of all the quantum meddling Lutence (and, uh, Lutence) have been up to, the same quatum meddling that enabled them to suspend an entire city in the air.
LOVE IT, and I can't wait to see how it ends!

Also, a question: Has anyone tried using Chapter Select? How does that work? You don't use your current progress using it, do you? Ideally when I'm all done, I'll be able to jump to any point in the game at my leisure, right?

pakkit

Banned
Played Medium the first time around. Hard is undoubtedly where it's at. It gives the fights a sense of urgency and forces you into cover.

Don't waste cash on gun upgrades. They aren't nearly as interesting or as worthwhile as they were in Bioshock 2. It's all about the Vigors this time around, plus the vanilla weaponry is strong enough (especially in combination with the gear) to last till the game's end.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So hard is the recommended difficulty if I actually want to use every trick in the arsenal, right? I don't want to run and gun and be able to survive.

Artanisix

How much more do I have to go?

Just
had Elizabeth forgive ghost Lady Comstock and I'm on the bridge to House of Comstock.
I've put in about 9 hours of play so far.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So normal is too easy and hard is too hard :(?

So hard is the recommended difficulty if I actually want to use every trick in the arsenal, right? I don't want to run and gun and be able to survive.

Hard make the main game challenging. The regular encounters are fun on hard. However, some of the "boss fight" style encounters (characters with a big health bar basically) can be annoying.

I have both enjoyed and complained about my time with hard. I am currently on what I think is the last bit of the game, and having a tough time with it - but I think I can do it. I refuse to go to Medium at this point!

How much more do I have to go?

Just
had Elizabeth forgive ghost Lady Comstock and I'm on the bridge to House of Comstock.
I've put in about 9 hours of play so far.

Id say a solid two hours is left - depending on you difficualy level. Add another half hour for the times you will leave down the controller in disbelief

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Definitely. Medium kinda allows for a lax and rigid playstyle... On hard or beyond you simply have to be creative. Like I said in the post above, my playstyle has evolved now that I'm going through 1999. The very beginning can be a bit frustrating though, since you're underequipped. But soldier on, it's worth it.

Normal is great to get familiar with the vigors, guns and locations though. If you're up for 2 playthroughs, maybe go normal first, then hard or 1999.

Can I quick save/load whenever on PC?

No, I don't think so. Checkpoints.

Yoshichan

Can I quick save/load whenever on PC?

leng jai

Definitely. Medium kinda allows for a lax and rigid playstyle... On hard or beyond you simply have to be creative. Like I said in the post above, my playstyle has evolved now that I'm going through 1999. The very beginning can be a bit frustrating though, since you're underequipped. But soldier on, it's worth it.

Normal is great to get familiar with the vigors, guns and locations though. If you're up for 2 playthroughs, maybe go normal first, then hard or 1999.

Medium first playthrough and then whatever else you feel up for after that. You simply don't really know which vigors and weapons you ought to be upgrading first time around which makes it frustrating. The thing is I feel like hard is actually unfair in this game as opposed to being challenging. Half the time I'm getting hit constantly from long range and I simply have no cover to whatsoever.

Top Bottom