• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Neiteio

OK, no one's gonna answer my question about how far I am (I'm at
Ghost of Lady Comstock, searching for the three tears
).

I'll focus on this question instead: Anyone try Chapter Select? Could I, for example, go to back to the first chapter, with the quote from the book and the boat ride and everything, and then jump back to the chapter I'm currently on, and still have my gun upgrades, gear, vigors, money, lockpicks, recordings, etc...?

nomis

See Handyman. 5 minutes later - bankrupt. I'm beginning to feel like I should have played on medium.

Every. Goddamn. Time.

Felt more like 2 minutes.

Best tip I can give for the final battle on Hard is
take the skyrail up to the top level after you've cleared the first wave. As soon as the zeppelins arrive and drop the first two patriots, start sniping from the perch on unhelmeted enemies, letting the patriots get right next to the core. Use the songbird on THEM instead of the zeppelins because his cooldown is shorter on ground use. Use the skyrail to get inside the zeppelins and destroy them manually, because I encountered no resistance inside them, and the core will take less damage from the same enemies if the game knows you are preoccupied inside a zeppelin. On the other hand if you handle the rocket guys and patriots yourself and order the songbird to take out the zeppelins, you will get creamed while whittling away their health bars, and the songbird cooldown is excruciating when used on air ships.

Milchjon

I think it's a testament to the quality of this game's story, gameplay and graphics that the main criticism levelled against this game is that it's a shooter.

Most other games wouldn't even make you think about that because there's too much to complain about elsewhere.

So maybe it took not a controversy, but simply one of the best games of this gen to kick off a debate about where games as a medium are headed.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Thank you Creamium!

Riposte

I think it's a testament to the quality of this game's story, gameplay and graphics that the main criticism levelled against this game is that it's a shooter.

Most other games wouldn't even make you think about that because there's too much to complain about elsewhere.

So maybe it took not a controversy, but simply one of the best games of this gen to kick off a debate about where games as a medium are headed.

I don't understand this at all. How is complaining it is a shooter (mass murder, linear with enemy waves, blah blah) not a comment on the game's "story" and "gameplay"? Moreover, nothing has been kicked off which hasn't already been talked about for more than a decade now. People who play shooters, despite disliking shooters, complain about a game's shooter-ness all the time: Deus Ex Human Revolution, Tomb Raider, Uncharted, etc.

DatDude

Banned

Agreed.

Though I think people look at the shooting to be a criticism because everything else is set with SUUUCCH a HIGH bar. That, it makes you realize, when all you do is simply shooting people in this beautiful realized world, with this incredible detailed narrative..that, hey, the gameplay is still never evolving (in any games, not just infintie)...so it brings up the question, what could Irrrational/Other game companies do to make gameplay more "unique, and different"

Because I think with Infinite..when there are aspects that are so high and move the industry forward as a whole, they want to see the gameplay do the same. An it's not.

It's open alot of peoples eyes I think.

DatDude

Banned
I don't understand this at all. How is complaining it is a shooter (mass murder, linear with enemy waves, blah blah) not a comment on the game's "story" and "gameplay"? Moreover, nothing has been kicked off which hasn't already been talked about for more than a decade now. People who play shooters, despite disliking shooters, complain about a game's shooter-ness all the time: Deus Ex Human Revolution, Tomb Raider, Uncharted, etc.

It isn't a comment on the narrative or gameplay because it being a shooter isn't a problem.

The problem is that it could be so much more than that..basically..it being shooter becomes a small tiny stain on this beautiful painting. It doesn't ruin the painting, but you would prefer it not to be there.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
If you've played any of the other Bioshocks, hard is perfect.
I mastered the original Bioshock but never did play any other games in the series. I did over-use the crap out of plasmids in it though, loved it!

Riposte

I'm amused at this phenomenon (which is very common, I've now noticed) where for me to like specific games as much as other people do (which is most often to utterly hyperbolic degree) that I will have to hate videogames as a whole as much they do. In this case I actually like BioShock Infinite, but I simply cannot stomach the nonsense surrounding it. I want to open a tear to a world where DatDude never received a
baptism

Milchjon

Maybe I haven't paid enough attention to Gaming Discussion in recent years, but there's been at least 3 threads in the past few days dedicated to the problem of incongruency between world/story/thems and gameplay. Most games don't seem to lead to this amount of meta-level discussion. Even with good games, it's often more of "the ending sucked" than anything near this.

DatDude

Banned
I'm amused at this phenomenon (which is very common, I've now noticed) where for me to like specific games as much as other people do (which is most often to utterly hyperbolic degree) that I will have to hate videogames as a whole as much they do. In this case I actually like BioShock Infinite, but I simply cannot stomach the nonsense surrounding it. I want to open a tear to a world where DatDude never received a
baptism

I don't see where this nonsense your referring to?

Most of the hyperbolic comments come from the fact that people really, really loved the narrative and the great ending. And, yes, it's actually that good of a narrative and that great of an ending (especially if you fully understand it and all the themes being presented). What Ken Levine made with Infinite's narrative, especially the ending, really just takes the medium an incredible step forward in the right direction, even with the flaws the general game pertains.

Riposte

Maybe I haven't paid enough attention to Gaming Discussion in recent years, but there's been at least 3 threads in the past few days dedicated to the problem of incongruency between world/story/thems and gameplay. Most games don't seem to lead to this amount of meta-level discussion. Even with good games, it's often more of "the ending sucked" than anything near this.

I think it may be the case you haven't. All of this stuff, word for word, has already been applied to Uncharted 2 and 3. It was even highlighted within the game in Uncharted 2.

Yoshichan

Best play this on Hard then. You'l be in Heaven.
Fuck it, I can't resist this anymore. Buying this now (not sure when I'll be able to play it though, SC2 taking all my time!).

Lucid07

Everyone taking so long to finish it, I thought it was kind of short. I explored everywhere I could got around 60 or so of the voxophones and managed to complete it in 7 hours.

DatDude

Banned
Everyone taking so long to finish it, I thought it was kind of short. I explored everywhere I could got around 60 or so of the voxophones and managed to complete it in 7 hours.

Idk, you surely must have rushed somewhere...or maybe played on easy. Because 7 hours is quite fast for this game.

I didn’t pay much attention to this since Bioshock disappointed me, but the reviews caught my interest and just now I watched my brother play the game up until you get a gun. Oh my God! This is some next level stuff!

The lively atmosphere, the attention to detail, the quality of the sound effects/music, the colours....everything! HNNNNNNG! Holy moly I’m blown away and I was only watching the game! I’M 100% SOLD! Will buy ASAP!

RedStep

ok so i beat it after a half an hour of frustration and all my money and ammo drained.

walked around from point a to point b aimlessly for what felt to be forever...

ONLY TO REALIZE I HAVE TO FIGHT LADY COMSTOCK FOR A 3RD (AND SEEMINGLY MOST FRUSTRATING) TIME

edit; so i died once, going to finish for the tonight on this terrible terrible note. these types of scenerios are why I often just give up with games and they become a part of my backlog. It's a shame. We'll see if I can suffer through the rest of this game tomorrow

A strategy for a certain mid-game boss
in a cemetery
that people are having trouble with:

Use Charge. With Charge (and the Aid that makes you invulnerable after and replenishes your shields) and the right gear (Burning Halo and Brittle Skin are the keys), you can just Charge when she appears, shoot her with a shotgun once or twice, Charge again, melee, etc. I literally beat all three forms in under 15 seconds each (in 1999 mode) doing this, and had no deaths along the way. This was after about 30 minutes of mind-melting failure, bankruptcy, and then restarting trying to use guns, Devil's Kiss, and cover. Just a tip.

DatDude

Banned
I didn’t pay much attention to this since Bioshock disappointed me, but the reviews caught my interest and just now I watched my brother play the game up until you get a gun. Oh my God! This is some next level stuff!

The lively atmosphere, the attention to detail, the quality of the sound effects/music, the colours....everything! HNNNNNNG! Holy moly I’m blown away and I was only watching the game! I’M 100% SOLD! Will buy ASAP!

Suggestion:

If your not a shooter fan, and hate dying in games due to bullet sponges enemies, than I would reccomend playing on Easy.

Also, take your sweet old time with this game. There are ALOT of narrative foreshadowing, and every enviroment and character interaction sheds some small clues to the finale and reveal.

Suggestion:

If your not a shooter fan, and hate dying in games due to bullet sponges enemies, than I would reccomend playing on Easy.

Also, take your sweet old time with this game. There are ALOT of narrative foreshadowing, and every enviroment and character interaction sheds some small clues to the finale and reveal.

Cheers! I'll keep all of this in mind.

OK, no one's gonna answer my question about how far I am (I'm at
Ghost of Lady Comstock, searching for the three tears
).

I'll focus on this question instead: Anyone try Chapter Select? Could I, for example, go to back to the first chapter, with the quote from the book and the boat ride and everything, and then jump back to the chapter I'm currently on, and still have my gun upgrades, gear, vigors, money, lockpicks, recordings, etc...?

I'm very interested in the chapter select question also. I know I missed an optional quest and it would be nice to be able to go back and finish it. It is such a wonderful game and its very difficult to put down.

Suggestion:

Bullet sponge enemies aren't really there until you get to 1999 mode. Granted I could be in the minority, but if you have the tiniest bit of capability you can head-shot most enemies very quickly. Mini-Boss characters are just that, mini-bosses. I wouldn't expect to take them out in one shot.

I dunno, I guess I thought that Bioshock:Infinite played like an older shooter and I loved it. I rarely ADS, I used hip fire 90% of the time which really helped me keep the pace high and utilize most of my vigors.

Which platform are you going to play it on?

Of course I would recommend going with the PC version since it's the best version, graphic wise, but not everyone has a gaming rig so that's understandable if you don't go for the pc version.

Believe me if I had a good PC I'd certainly get that version, but I don't - so I'll get the PS3 version. I'd rather some screen tearing + stable framerate over no screen tearing + average framerate.

DatDude

Banned
Believe me if I had a good PC I'd certainly get that version, but I don't - so I'll get the PS3 version. I'd rather some screen tearing + stable framerate over no screen tearing + average framerate.

All the console versions are up to snuff so no big loss.

Btw, further tips when you are about to play.

Collect all the Voxophones (the audio diaries). There essiental to the plot, and there are
to the game.

Also pressing down on the d-pad will show you a bread crumb trail as to where to go next.

An finally, don't skip the credits since there is something major, narrative wise, afterwards.

Eusis

Beat it (as evidenced in other threads), the
ghost boss
was when my opinion fully turned from "this is pretty good but I wish they didn't take some of the modern shooter cues they did" to "I am officially done with this kind of game design!" I've mellowed out some (won't avoid games with this kind of design entirely if I know it's there, but I probably won't play that new Tomb Raider any time soon), but this TYPE of combat focus has become completely and utterly nauseating, even if I stopped being dumb and tuned down the difficulty (or at least I invested heavily in shields rather than salts and health, though that just highlights part of the problem) it still wouldn't have solved the fact the game IS designed around throwing encounters at you frequently and even in waves and expecting that to pass as good game design in favor of stronger character development and more open and rewarding exploration.

Still, the story was fantastic, I won't make any hyperbolic statements about how other media wishes it could be this because it really IS the kind of story you'd see in some
science fiction movies and novels
, but it's still the KIND of story I liked over stuff like Uncharted's if we're going to have a mostly linear shooter focusing on narrative and shooting at the expense of developing the other gameplay systems to the level they can carry a game.

All the console versions are up to snuff so no big loss.

Btw, further tips when you are about to play.

Collect all the Voxophones (the audio diaries). There essiental to the plot, and there are
to the game.

Also pressing down on the d-pad will show you a bread crumb trail as to where to go next.

An finally, don't skip the credits since there is something major, narrative wise, afterwards.

BicjKQW.gif

Zeliard

I'm starting to really like 1999 mode. It feels like the combat is only clicking just now. I had so many moments yesterday that put a smile on my face. The crow upgrade is... invaluable. More guys means more traps after they die. Result? Mayhem. It's amazing to see 3 of 4 dudes running and screaming with crows above their head, and it only cost you 1 cast of crows. And in their crazed state, they started running into shock traps
put there by Slate
To me, this is an absolutely essential upgrade. And you can always spice it up with shock or fire.

Smile n°2: Possession. I'm only now seeing how useful it can be. Yesterday I had an encounter with a few guys left, one of them an rpg guy. I thought possession wouldn't work on them since it would be too powerful, but it does. A stand-off ensued and my puppet blew the others away. But then! I hadn't seen their suicide animation yet... Possess an rpg guy and watch him die, it's priceless. So great that there are suicide variations for every weapon type.

Smile n°3: Starting to play like you're doing the E3 demo. This difficulty has completely changed the way I play. On medium I wouldn't use the skylines that much, but now I abuse them since going fast on them is a great way to not get hit. Hitch a ride, skyline strike, get back on, land on an airship; shock, bronco & shotty an rpg guy into the sky.

Yesterday I had the most fun I've had with the game yet... and it's on 1999 mode. I adore the combat. tbh, on this mode the very beginning is no fun at all, but once you get the crows and a few shield upgrades... madness ensues.

And I've unlocked the framerate on ps3. It tears like a motherfucker (quite possibly the most tearing I've ever seen in a game), but the game looks and plays way better. I got used to it, not going back.

1999 mode. fuck yeah.

Welcome to the fold. 1999 is where the party starts :>

Fjordson

The arrow pointing to the next objective is a godsend. I can press it and then head off in a different direction to explore every nook and cranny of the current level.

Also, I know this isn't an intelligent way to play or whatever, but I'm getting compulsive about looting. I have to mash X on every single fuckin' object in Columbia. It's bizarrely satisfying. Just X X X rapid fire.

Booker should be dead from all of the junk food I've eaten out of trash cans and all of the discarded alcohol I've finished off. Dude has one hell of a stomach :lol

DatDude

Banned
By the way GAF, I swear this ending/plot twist had better live up to 999’s!

I think it will.

Again, just take things slow and you will understand things better/more that way.

An when your done join the spoiler thread. Because what you come out understanding from the ending is quite incredible to witness when you put everything together, and play this game again for the 2nd time.

spekkeh

Banned
The problem I have with this game being a shooter is not the shooting per se, it's that the main game seems to be filler for in between the story bits that are unnecessarily dripfed to you. I've said it before, but all the voxaphones and everything are pretty dumb when you could just walk up to a citizen and ask him to fill you in on the story. It's the mechanics of Bioshock 1 in a world that doesn't fit them. On top of that, much is stringing you along; every now and then
Elizabeth disappears and you have to find her
, or you want to go somewhere and nope you need something else (much like the keycards of yesteryear).

I did not have this problem with Tomb Raider so much, because it was basically survivors that didn't know anything, or enemies that wanted to kill you, and there seemed to be more forward momentum in the story.

This disconnect between setting and shooter was especially apparent for me in the
Slate thing
, like we want to tell you a story but the game is a shooter, so we're going to give you a few nonsensical waves of enemies.

I still really like the game for its setting and what it tries to do, but so far,
just got captured by the vox populi
, the game itself is just okay. Was definitely having more fun playing Tomb Raider.

DatDude

Banned
I've said it before, but all the voxaphones and everything are pretty dumb when you could just walk up to a citizen and ask him to fill you in on the story. It's the mechanics of Bioshock 1 in a world that doesn't fit them.

That makes no sense. The voxophones flesh out the backhistory and ideology of MAJOR characters as well as EVENTS.

Just going up some random person and asking him about Elizabeth back history, or Comstock backhistory, or anyone's back history makes no sense what so ever.

So... I've been stuck on the
ghost
fight on hard for a while. I seriously don't think I can do this because I can't go back to an earlier save where I didn't shit all my ammo down the drain.

I really don't want to knock the difficulty down to normal but this is absolutely horrible.

If it was fun maybe I'd be more willing to die a million times but its just hectic nonsense.

So... I've been stuck on the
ghost
fight on hard for a while. I seriously don't think I can do this because I can't go back to an earlier save where I didn't shit all my ammo down the drain.

I really don't want to knock the difficulty down to normal but this is absolutely horrible.

Fire
is your friend.
Burn the bodies. It makes it so that you don't have to worry about them as adds.

beastmode

Handymen are nuts.

Only times I've died so far were from these
RPG flak guys who were camping along the skyline outside the Hall of Heroes and Fink's robot hell.
1999 mode feels good.

Top Bottom