• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Greyvvolf

Has anybody used the PS Move with this game? How is it? I'm sorry if it has been talked about already, I haven't been following the thread closely.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
game's really good graphically and artistically (although there's too many clones around...seriously, the baptism scene alone has like five men looking exactly th same), but the whole thing is not clicking for me. I could not stop playing Bioshock, was completely absorbed by the experience....but this one really struggles to capture my interest and the atrocious AI and awful scripted dialogues and sequences really drag down the whole experience. Lack of suspense is another really big issue for me, something the first and second games had in spades. Everything's too shiny and sunny and there's too many people around.
By the way, I'm with Elizabeth and we're going to activate the Tesla Coil. I will keep playing because you say the story is worth it, well, let's see; for now, it's very typical

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
So after a week long business trip, I finally sat down to play. Two questions: how far am I (
songbird just crashed the 1st lady
), and what did derrick think of the game?

Eusis

game's really good graphically and artistically (although there's too many clones around...seriously, the baptism scene alone has like five men looking exactly th same), but the whole thing is not clicking for me. I could not stop playing Bioshock, was completely absorbed by the experience....but this one really struggles to capture my interest and the atrocious AI and awful scripted dialogues and sequences really drag down the whole experience. Lack of suspense is another really big issue for me, something the first and second games had in spades. Everything's too shiny and sunny and there's too many people around.
By the way, I'm with Elizabeth and we're going to activate the Tesla Coil. I will keep playing because you say the story is worth it, well, let's see; for now, it's very typical
I think I've been in the same boat myself, Bioshock completely floored me, but this kind bored/annoyed me. I think it does boil down to going with more typical FPS design, and while some people are eagerly lavishing praise on that to me it's EXACTLY what I feared they'd do, just that the story at least made it worthwhile still even if my caring about that as a reason to get in basically boiled down to "does it make for an interesting world to explore?" (which it did.) I would've preferred that with Bioshock doing pretty well they'd go "hey, now that we got everyone's feet wet, let's try to expand those RPG aspects again, but not to the degree of SS2!" but instead it's "everyone loved the story! But the gameplay wasn't good enough of a shooter for some people and the higher ups expect we can push even higher sales, so let's focus on that even more than before." So instead it ends up feeling more like a modern shooter that lets me poke around more and gives me neat abilities to use beyond my Two Guns.
If you play this game on any mode other than 1999, you're doing it wrong.
If I followed that advice I'd have probably wanted to kill the developers by the time I was done. As is I was just annoyed.

beastmode

I found keys in a bar, and a voxophone said
that it's for this evidence locker. I've looked all over the police station for it, where is it?

Eusis

I found keys in a bar, and a voxophone said
that it's for this evidence locker. I've looked all over the police station for it, where is it?
Look by where that Voxophone was again. I swear the chest was right by it, it has that eye on it like the one you may've found earlier on.

Derrick01

Banned
By the way GAF, I swear this ending/plot twist had better live up to 999’s!

I'm still not even really sure what the twist was that has everyone so blown away. There's a couple things about the ending that I figured out hours before I finished so I'm not sure if one of them was the twist.

Eusis

Ah, guess I already opened it. Weird that an evidence locker would look like a Zelda chest.
The cops are nerds.
I'm still not even really sure what the twist was that has everyone so blown away. There's a couple things about the ending that I figured out hours before I finished so I'm not sure if one of them was the twist.
I was guessing bits and pieces, but not the whole of it coming together in the fashion it did. But part of that is letting my imagination go wild, the other part was just noticing how things potentially fit
oh, Booker lost a child years ago? What if Elizabeth's that child given how quickly she was "born" and especially the fact her parents weren't her birth ones? I even wondered just how connected Comstock and Booker WERE (I misinterpreted an earlier part as him taking credit for Booker's accomplishments... which I guess wasn't too far off. I may've even speculated if they could've been the same, but I can't clearly recall for sure. I think the big surprise was just how it all came together in the way it did, or you THINK you see how it's a twist ending then HAHAHA HAVE ANOTHER TWIST

Ghost23

Every time I come back to this thread, there are people trying to bash the game more and more. I loved it and finished it, and I don't want that to change, so I'm just gonna avoid this thread for a little.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
One final question please, how long is this game? 10-12?

DSmalls84

I'm still chugging along in 1999 mode and just got to
Finkton Proper
. It definitely requires you to play much more carefully and watch your shields, and patriots now induce a sense of dread when I start hearing them speak lol. I didn't realize how fast they were in hard mode, but they can kill you in a few seconds if you don't grab some cover.

Andrew.

Banned
1999 Mode feels like the way the game should be played. I've only died three or four times, but I restarted checkpoints and was successful. Been saving money like crazy and now Ive got around 3k and heading towards Finkton.

The only parts I think will give me problems will be the
Siren
battles and the
finale

I havent bought the Crow Aid yet to make bodies turn into traps but I keep hearing its practically essential for later battles.

It certainly helps to have Comstocks shotty (+35% damage) and the gold skinned machine gun and pistol from the Season Pass (the skins actually give each weapon a 35% boost in damage). Combined them with the machine bought upgrades and these weapons will be prime.

DSmalls84

1999 Mode feels like the way the game should be played. I've only died three or four times, but I restarted checkpoints and was successful. Been saving money like crazy and now Ive got around 3k and heading towards Finkton.

The only parts I think will give me problems will be the
Siren
battles and the
finale

I havent bought the Crow Aid yet to make bodies turn into traps but I keep hearing its practically essential for later battles.

I am trying different vigors for my 1999 mode playthrough. Currently using Upgraded Devil's Kiss and Possession. Devil's kiss has actually been awesome so far. It's pretty spammable and melts mobs of regular enemies.

Andrew.

Banned
I am trying different vigors for my 1999 mode playthrough. Currently using Upgraded Devil's Kiss and Possession. Devil's kiss has actually been awesome so far. It's pretty spammable and melts mobs of regular enemies.

Devils Kiss Ive been using alot too. Its pretty helpful on the Patriots, but most of the time I shock them, dash behind and blast their gears with the shotgun at point blank range. Only takes 4 or 5 solid hits.

Bucking Bronco and Crows Ive been using a lot too and Im guessing Charge and Undertow will be pretty handy in the future as well. Bronco is priceless to me and my favorite out of the game. Using that with the Storm gear chains the effect to nearby enemies. Its fucking grand.

Eusis

Possession was my most useful one I think on Hard, though it's also because I was crazy and maxed out salts first. I just fire one into a crowd, and let them start sorting themselves out before I come in and clean up.

DSmalls84

Devils Kiss Ive been using alot too. Its pretty helpful on the Patriots, but most of the time I shock them, dash behind and blast their gears with the shotgun at point blank range. Only takes 4 or 5 solid hits.

Bucking Bronco and Crows Ive been using a lot too and Im guessing Charge and Undertow will be pretty handy in the future as well. Bronco is priceless to me and my favorite out of the game. Using that with the Storm gear chains the effect to nearby enemies. Its fucking grand.

Yeah I might give charge a try this game. I'm trying to limit the amount of weapons I upgrade so I can use more vigors. I had a ton of issues with
Lady Comstock
in Hard mode so I'm trying to level up Devil's Kiss and Shock Jockey to make that fight easier.

Andrew.

Banned
Yeah I might give charge a try this game. I'm trying to limit the amount of weapons I upgrade so I can use more vigors. I had a ton of issues with
Lady Comstock
in Hard mode so I'm trying to level up Devil's Kiss and Shock Jockey to make that fight easier.

I had issues too which is why Im hoping to stumble across some sort of decent strategy to use on her with certain vigor combos. The Crows Aid should definitely help.

DSmalls84

I had issues too which is why Im hoping to stumble across some sort of decent strategy to use on her with certain vigor combos. The Crows Aid should definitely help.

I had it in that fight and I believe that boss is immune to crowes. It also didn't help me much against the other enemies there unless there is something I'm missing.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Hand Cannon for the win

Hell, yeah! It just feels so very right.

I'm currently
defending the airship
on Hard... and, well, it really is. Not had much trouble till now (except
with Lady Comstock
) Pretty damn intense. The combat still has that chaotic quality of the original but with many more options available.

Really enjoying this, even if it isn't quite worth the scores it's been given. I've been paying close attention to the details throughout and I think I have a handle on what's going on... I predicted a few of the story developments (particularly regarding
Lutece's involvement
).

I'll see if I did get it right soon, I imagine....

One final question please, how long is this game? 10-12?

Your mileage will vary.

Quoted this post because it relates to what I was gonna say. This really isn't the smart thing to do, but I've been highlighting some "How far am I in?" posts. I know of some locations I haven't been too, and there's one minor story point I'm close to that I'd rather not have seen, but I do know this: I'm not even close to being done. I saw one post that told me I'm not even a third of the way done with the game, and I'm 7 hours in.

So great! I'm on my way back to use the
Shock Jockey to board the First Lady's airship.

TTG

Just got to the first real sandbox environment with a lot of options(
on the way back from visiting Dewitt's old general buddy
). I have to commend them on the mechanics they've implemented and the general direction they've gone. It would have been so easy to say, "Bioshock is about the wonderfully detailed environments and the story" and played it safe, and that is just so not the case.

It really works very well. The only issue I've noticed so far is the AI is spotty. I've seen pyro guys running around like crazy, not really shooting back. Then there are the rocket guys who will stand there taking sniper fire until the bitter end, try to find some cover maybe? But again, there is good enemy variety, there are so many tools to play around with, and the skyhook system adds a lot to the environment. And now that I have the carbine, I don't often notice the sheer number of bullets needed to bring people down... sniper rifle and minigun still feel too weak though.

So, a couple of questions about the vigors. Well, the first one is about the upgrade tree and the economy more than anything else. Does the amount of money you find increase as you get further into the game? Because upgrading Devil's Kiss(for example) represents quite the investment at the moment and the zapper is my go to thing. The cost of upgrading weapons is negligible, but a vigor upgrade is like 2/3rds of my stash.

Two, since the pace has picked up there's been a lot of new mechanics thrown at me, so I haven't really checked up on it(and I haven't upgraded my vigor capacity at all). Can you combine vigors at all and is there good reason to?

mxgt

Banned
Upon finishing the game, I'm going to give it either 5 or 6 out of 10.

Artistically and story wise it's very good, but the combat and gameplay just didn't click for me at all. It was such a slog to get through the waves of enemies and the only reason I played to the end is because I actually enjoyed the story. I commend them for that, seeing as 99% of video game stories are god awful.

I liked the original more.

Agreed; i'm halfway done but find myself forcing through this at this point. Was not looking for a (mechanically) mindless arcade shooter.

It's not a mindless arcade shooter. The sandbox in this game is fantastic and very well designed. When everything comes together – the skylines, skyhooks, tears, vigors, weapons – it's wonderful. The only thing that's lacking, I feel, is the presence of clear audio and visual feedback from enemies.

I say this because I just got done with
that fight on the boardwalk of Soldier's Field while you wait for the gondola ride.
I had a feeling there'd be a fight given the
tears and that you could now use the skyrails
. So I surveyed the area beforehand to see what was available to me. I used EVERYTHING. I started off the fight by
opening up a tear on the Motorized Patriot, which provided me with some ample cover as I got up close to use my shotgun on the remaining enemies that were following me, then hopped on the skyrails again to move to a different position. When my ally MP was almost out of health, I had Elizabeth open some tears that gave me cover. Allowed me to take care of the enemy RPG guys and finish off the enemy MP with my fire vigor.

I'm wondering if the people who find the combat lacking aren't utilizing all the tools available to them. The combat in this game has a fun curve. The more you put into it, the more you get out of it.

I am concerned that when I go through the game again on 1999 mode, it'll be so difficult and unforgiving that I won't be able to be as free-roaming as I am on hard (because that comes with making some mistakes). Hoping that's not the case.

There's no way I'm going to finish this game before my break ends. Grrrr...

I just finished the
Wardens office and saw old Elizabeth. It is a altogether odd and unusual feeling to have this game making me so emotional. As each tear revealed how long she waited and how I never came my heart actually sank.
WTF is happening to me.

To the end I go.

Andrew.

Banned
1999 Mode is the new re4 Professional difficulty.

No other way to play. It's the fucking BEST.

Bucking Bronco + Shotgun, especially when you have two or more clustered up. One shot = We all fall down.

You guys are noobs.

Bucking Bronco + Devils Kiss w/ Chain Pants

Bucking Bronco + Shotgun, especially when you have two or more clustered up. One shot = We all fall down.

Yeah my first play-through has been on 1999 and I love it. Total playtime will be about 20-22 hours when I am done.

Trigger

I'm doing 1999 mode for my first run, and it isn't as hard as I thought it would be. I can't imagine how easy the game is normally. Loving the game tho.

Also: The hand cannon is my everything.

REV 09

It's not a mindless arcade shooter. The sandbox in this game is fantastic and very well designed. When everything comes together – the skylines, skyhooks, tears, vigors, weapons – it's wonderful. The only thing that's lacking, I feel, is the presence of clear audio and visual feedback from enemies.

I say this because I just got done with
that fight on the boardwalk of Soldier's Field while you wait for the gondola ride.
I had a feeling there'd be a fight given the
tears and that you could now use the skyrails
. So I surveyed the area beforehand to see what was available to me. I used EVERYTHING. I started off the fight by
opening up a tear on the Motorized Patriot, which provided me with some ample cover as I got up close to use my shotgun on the remaining enemies that were following me, then hopped on the skyrails again to move to a different position. When my ally MP was almost out of health, I had Elizabeth open some tears taht gave me cover. Allowed me to take care of the enemy RPG guys and finish off the enemy MP with my fire vigor.

I'm wondering if the people who fine the combat lacking aren't utilizing all the tools available to them. The combat in this game has a fun curve. The more you put into it, the more you get out of it.

I am concerned that when I go through the game again on 1999 mode, it'll be so difficult and unforgiving that I won't be able to be as free-roaming as I am on hard (because that comes with making some mistakes). Hoping that's not the case.

There's no way I'm going to finish this game before my break ends. Grrrr...
even on hard the game gets much harder and more restrictive than where you currently are. I kinda wish i hadn't played it on hard because i personally didn't find the combat or gameplay that fun. It was somewhat of an annoyance for me to slog through till the next story beat. I can't describe what is "off" about it. well, here are a few thoughts:

Disorientation- I found the rails slightly disorienting and never felt like i was fully in control. They were fun to ride, but using them during combat wasn't seamless for me. Elizabeth helping you during combat was also slightly disorienting as your character turned to look at her. I actually died a few times because of me turning to face Elizabeth during the heat of combat.

AI- It was weird walking up to enemies and then have them turn around, realize i was there, and start firing at me. It seemed like the combat introductions weren't scripted well.

Annoying Enemies- the larger, non grunt, enemies just weren't fun to fight for me. I found them a big step back from the Big Daddy encounters.

Damage Bleed- The way damage bled through your shields was very annoying and made the shield less reliable. i would have preferred a more reliable shield that took longer to recharge.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Fighting Handymen is a pain, no matter where you run to get some distance, they just jump all over you. The AI is general seems pretty cheap, any large battle I'm constantly taking damage from all direction despite taking cover. Half the time I can't tell what is shooting me. The turrets are a pain in this respect, it is hard to find them and they are all super accurate.

DSmalls84

1999 vets, what should I be investing my pennies in?

Definitely upgrade Possession. It has so much utility it's hard to go without. Turn enemies to fight for you or make them kill themself, and then you can scrounge up extra cash by using it on machines. It's also great for giving you some breathing room when you fight patriots.

Love that combo.

While there is some circulating feeling that Bioshock Infinite's story may have been better served being something other than a shooter (and I agree) its also worth stressing that this is mechanically a quality shooter and one of the better ones I've played this gen so I'm still glad it exists as it does. They really tidied up the gunplay from Bioshock 1.

even on hard the game gets much harder and more restrictive than where you currently are
Heh. I've heard the opposite. And what you listed are some valid complaints, but as we've seen there is wild disagreement on how difficult the difficulties are in this game. Some of what you listed, like the skyrails, could be just you.

Definitely upgrade Possession. It has so much utility it's hard to go without. Turn enemies to fight for you or make them kill themself, and then you can scrounge up extra cash by using it on machines. It's also great for giving you some breathing room when you fight patriots.

How do you get extra cash from using it on machines?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Wow that user score.

2013-03-3017_07_22-bijvj4i.png

Top Bottom