• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wow that user score.

2013-03-3017_07_22-bijvj4i.png
Good? Bad? I don't know metacritics.

Speaking of Elizabeth's dresses (which I love), one awesome little detail I've noticed is Elizabeth's skirt has been gradually getting dirtier and dirtier as the game progresses.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Speaking of Elizabeth's dresses (which I love), one awesome little detail I've noticed is Elizabeth's skirt has been gradually getting dirtier and dirtier as the game progresses.
That's strangely arousing.

StuBurns

Banned
It's funny looking back at all the debate about the sexualization of Elizabeth, and speculation over her relationship with Booker.
It must have been so frustrating knowing they were father and daughter, but have to read all the talk about them being romantically entangled.
Not so much the dress though, I seriously doubt that was originally planned to have the role it did, given it's inclusion in the earlier trailers.

That's an end game spoiler above

Are you kidding me? You
fight The Ghost of Lady Comstock
twice? No more than like 20 mins after the first time?

That shit was frustrating enough the first time!

Now I'm taking a break again, but man this game has become a bit unenjoyable lately.

conman

Agreed; i'm halfway done but find myself forcing through this at this point. Was not looking for a (mechanically) mindless arcade shooter.
Yup. I love the setting and eye candy, but the core mechanics just aren't doing anything that hasn't been done (and done better) elsewhere.

There's not much experimenting to be had since all of the vigors effectively do the same thing (stun + damage). Each area brings new things to look at and listen to, but nothing new to do and no new ways to do it. It really becomes a slog at about 1/3 of the way in.

And I'm becoming less impressed by the writing as the game wears on. Everyone speaks in a sinister tone, so the game gives you no moral or ethical center. It makes everyone sound like a villain, no matter where they fall on the ideological spectrum. That's a cop-out. And in terms of the plot, you can't be surprised by any turns the story takes if you already are set up to distrust everyone. Elizabeth is all over the map in terms of her character and performance. And the player character is an unlikable thug and you have no choice but to make him do reprehensible things (show up to someone else's commune and start killing people).

I still have about half the game to go (9 hours in), but it's already feeling like a real chore. I hear it picks up towards the end, but I'm starting to lose interest fast. At this point, it's the visuals and art that are pulling me through more than either the story or the shooting.

Art design and environmental design: 10/10
Mechanics, writing, and level design: 6/10

LiK

Are you kidding me? You
fight The Ghost of Lady Comstock
twice? No more than like 20 mins after the first time?

That shit was frustrating enough the first time!

Now I'm taking a break again, but man this game has become a bit unenjoyable lately.

um
3 times

Jinjo

1999 Mode is the new re4 Professional difficulty.

No other way to play. It's the fucking BEST.

Bucking Bronco + Shotgun, especially when you have two or more clustered up. One shot = We all fall down.

This. Loving 1999 mode. It helps knowing that you need to focus upgrading select vigors and weapons though. Died more times on hard than I did 1999 so far.

All infusions into shield + fully upgraded charge is awesome. Combine that with a shotgun and the equipment that makes enemies twice as vulnerable on melee. You're done. Add a sniper for long-range for good measure.

Also, winter shield is awesome for the handyman encounters. Just keep hopping on and off the skyline and unload on him when you're invulnerable.

Any tips for the
Sirens?
Got my ass handed to me just now in the first encounter.

conman

This. Loving 1999 mode. It helps knowing that you need to focus upgrading select vigors and weapons though. Died more times on hard than I did 1999 so far.
I'm thinking that 1999 mode would have helped my experience. The game's simply way too forgiving on Hard. Too much ammo. Too many weapons. No strategy at all involved in succeeding.

But at this point, I'm too far into the game to go back and start over, and I'm not sure I'll want to replay it. Why in the world do developers insist on locking higher difficulties? Just trust us to make those decisions for ourselves. And if you insist on making a shooter longer than 10 hours, you have to recognize that most folks aren't going to replay it. There are some ways that this game's design is still stuck (for the worse) in the 1990s.

i dont' get how some people are finding hard to be a ludicrous challenge, very manageable if you fully upgrade a few weapons of your choice

i did have to cheese the
ghost fight
a little but aside from that didn't have many problems

RedStep

So... I've been stuck on the
ghost
fight on hard for a while. I seriously don't think I can do this because I can't go back to an earlier save where I didn't shit all my ammo down the drain.

I really don't want to knock the difficulty down to normal but this is absolutely horrible.

If it was fun maybe I'd be more willing to die a million times but its just hectic nonsense.

All infusions into shield + fully upgraded charge is awesome. Combine that with a shotgun and the equipment that makes enemies twice as vulnerable on melee. You're done. Add a sniper for long-range for good measure.

Also, winter shield is awesome for the handyman encounters. Just keep hopping on and off the skyline and unload on him when you're invulnerable.

Any tips for the
Sirens?
Got my ass handed to me just now in the first encounter.

Found a super-simple way to handle these. My post from the middle of the night:

A strategy for a certain mid-game boss
in a cemetery
that people are having trouble with:

Use Charge. With Charge (and the Aid that makes you invulnerable after and replenishes your shields) and the right gear (Burning Halo and Brittle Skin are the keys), you can just Charge when she appears, shoot her with a shotgun once or twice, Charge again, melee, etc. I literally beat all three forms in under 15 seconds each (in 1999 mode) doing this, and had no deaths along the way. This was after about 30 minutes of mind-melting failure, bankruptcy, and then restarting trying to use guns, Devil's Kiss, and cover. Just a tip.

The Charge makes you invunerable and her weak, during which you unload, then Charge again. It should kill her right where the fight starts without ever having to worry about the zombies. For me, the challenge was that I didn't have Charge Aid, so I had to scrounge the ENTIRE surrounding level to find enough coin to buy it.

It makes everyone sound like a villain, no matter where they fall on the ideological spectrum. That's a cop-out.
And in the case of
Daisy Fitzroy's brand of social justice being portrayed as dangerous extremism that is just as corrupted as its antithesis
, it's downright intellectually dishonest.

Like, you probably shouldn't make a game in 2013 that suggests that
civil and labour rights for the oppressed is just a cynical ploy by violent anarchists who are indistinguishable from the oppressors and bosses they usurp

It's funny looking back at all the debate about the sexualization of Elizabeth, and speculation over her relationship with Booker.
It must have been so frustrating knowing they were father and daughter, but have to read all the talk about them being romantically entangled.
Not so much the dress though, I seriously doubt that was originally planned to have the role it did, given it's inclusion in the earlier trailers.

That's an end game spoiler above

You could have given some context for why that part of your post was spoiler tagged. :/

conman

i dont' get how some people are finding hard to be a ludicrous challenge, very manageable if you fully upgrade a few weapons of your choice

i did have to cheese the
ghost fight
a little but aside from that didn't have many problems
Yeah. Hard's been a breeze for me, too. And I don't think I'm especially gifted with shooters. Feels more like a typical "normal" scale. Locking 1999 behind the Konami code was a bad idea. Just shift the whole scale, and make them all available from the get-go. If you want to scare folks away, just add in a little text box when people select 1999 mode saying "are you sure? don't come crying to us if you think it's too hard," and leave it at that. I hate games that unlock additional difficulty modes only after a full playthrough. The only way that's forgivable is if your game is in the 6-8 hour range.

Top Bottom