• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Yep, Konami code makes 1999 available from the start. It's great. Really makes you think about how you approach combat scenarios. I still maintan that mechanically it's much more interesting than other shooters. You can lay traps, possess enemies, launch them into the air, combine vigors and so on. And sky-line combat is simply awesome. It quite literally elevates it from other shooters.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Will there be DLC costumes for 'Liz?

conman

And in the case of
Daisy Fitzroy's brand of social justice being portrayed as dangerous extremism that is just as corrupted as its antithesis
, it's downright intellectually dishonest.

Like, you probably shouldn't make a game in 2013 that suggests that
civil and labour rights for the oppressed is just a cynical ploy by violent anarchists who are indistinguishable from the oppressors and bosses they usurp
Exactly! It's even sloppier and more "intellectually dishonest" when you consider the specific American racial and labor history that it's drawing on. And it looks even worse when you consider the contemporary political climate that the game is a loose allegory for. In terms of its ideology, Infinite is encouraging indifference, apathy, and nihilism: "Don't have a political position since everyone's after something."

And, worst of all, it arrives at that position by means of the exact same historical revisionism it accuses its villains of employing. The first Bioshock was smart, and it took a risk by having a political perspective, and by linking that perspective to core game design principles and mechanics. But Infinite wusses out and says all politics is bad, so let's just focus on ourselves and not care about anyone else or the world at large.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I have no problem with the gunplay in this game in general.

BUT I think the difficulty curve is all over the place. Like regular guys are a joke. A total joke. Some of the earlier 'special guys' are jokes too. But turrets/mosquitoes/and some of the later on special guys do WAY too much damage or take way too much to die.

Riposte

And in the case of
Daisy Fitzroy's brand of social justice being portrayed as dangerous extremism that is just as corrupted as its antithesis
, it's downright intellectually dishonest.

Like, you probably shouldn't make a game in 2013 that suggests that
civil and labour rights for the oppressed is just a cynical ploy by violent anarchists who are indistinguishable from the oppressors and bosses they usurp

Help, this fantasy game doesn't go out of its way to exemplify my politics.

xenist

Exactly! It's even sloppier and more "intellectually dishonest" when you consider the specific American racial history that it's drawing on. And it looks even worse when you consider the contemporary political climate that the game is a loose allegory for. In terms of its ideology, Infinite is encouraging indifference, apathy, and nihilism: "Don't have a political position since everyone's after something."

And, worst of all, it arrives at that position by means of the exact same historical revisionism it accuses its villains of employing. The first Bioshock was smart, and it took a risk by having a political perspective, and by linking that perspective to core game design principles and mechanics. But Infinite wusses out and says all politics is bad, so let's just focus on ourselves and not care about anyone else or the world at large.

I don't see it that way. To me, it is not a case of "everything is the same." Rather an expression of that old programming saying "Garbage in, garbage out." As in, you will get out of a system product as good as what you're entering.

The Founder faction fed violence, cruelty and repression into the system and it produced violence, cruelty and retaliation in return.

conman

That's not the point. Like its predecessor, it's a game that puts politics front and center. But the problem with Infinite--in contrast to the first game--is that Infinite tries to criticize ideology by criticizing all ideologies. And it does so by rewriting history, all while claiming that it's the villains who do so. In terms of what the game is "about," it's a contradictory mess that has no ground left to stand on--which is fitting considering the setting. ;)

It criticizes the religiosity of politics, but it criticizes those who use reason to stand against it. It criticizes runaway capitalism and labor abuses, but it criticizes those who support laborers to stand against those in power. It criticizes institutional racism, but it criticizes those who would combat it. And so on. There's no there there. And in order to make those points, it says that all sides manipulate history to their own ends. But in order to criticize the ways that those sides manipulate history, the game's writers also have to manipulate history. Like I said, a bit of a nihilistic, contradictory mess.

By leveling all ideological positions (and saying they're all equally corrupt), it calls for a nihilistic, agnostic view of history wherein no progress or improvements can be made to the conditions of oppressed people anywhere ever. And the game makes those claims by deliberately misrepresenting history (and its outcomes).

Megasoum

Banned
Something I noticed is that in the E3 demo Elizabeth seems to have difficulties opening/controlling the tears yet in the game she's just trowing them left and right like it's nothing. It feels like a huge part of the narrative that was cut.

No.

"Help, this fantasy game suggests that every kind of progress America made in the 20th century toward fulfilling both the spirit and explicit promises of its Constitution -- in terms of woman's rights, minority rights, even labour rights -- is just the corruptible, cynical and dangerously extreme flipside of white supremacy, exploitative labour practices, widespread bigotry, and religious zealotry. They're all as bad as each other!"

Hint: they're not.

StuBurns

Banned
Something I noticed is that in the E3 demo Elizabeth seems to have difficulties opening/controlling the tears yet in the game she's just trowing them left and right like it's nothing. It feels like a huge part of the narrative that was cut.
I think it was just a gameplay thing. Your tear choices have no consequence in the current game, they would have had it remained how it was shown.

FartOfWar

Banned
You dont have to use Songbird on all the big Zepellins. You can use the sky rails in order to board them and sabotage the engine. At least, that's something you can do for the first two.

it works on all of them, and since songbird cooldown is negligible for deck attacks you can pop in and out of the zeppelins and have him clear the deck area while youre away.

ezekial45

Banned
How do I beat
Lady Comstock on hard?
I have no ammo or salts, and she keeps recovering health and summoning more allies after I die.

bob page

Just a few questions about the PS3 version:

-The controls have been pretty floaty for me, almost like there's a slight lag. Any way to fix this?
-Some of the dialogue seems to crackle sometimes or sound as if characters are talking through a tin can. This was especially noticeable during the opening sequence. Anyone else experience this?

jonathanp

How do I beat
Lady Comstock on hard?
I have no ammo or salts, and she keeps recovering health and summoning more allies after I die.

Assuming you mean the first first, there is a crypt in the back that has a coffin and a crate of medkits, I hid behind the coffin and just meleed her and the minions when they came close. I had Executioner, Vampire's Embrace, and Brittle-Skinned equipped at the time. Took a while but it worked.

ezekial45

Banned
It looks like I'm gonna have to restart. I wasted over $1000 on respawns, and right after respawns I have enemies with hand cannons and rocket launcher waiting for me. This is a fucked up fight, and not fun at all.

gdt

It looks like I'm gonna have to restart. I wasted over $1000 on respawns, and right after respawns I have enemies with hand cannons and rocket launcher waiting for me. This is a fucked up fight, and not fun at all.

$1000 dear god. It took me 2 or 3 deaths max. Bump down the difficulty dude. Its too hard for you. Or you came there drained of salt and health which wouldn't help.

ezekial45

Banned
$1000 dear god. It took me 2 or 3 deaths max. Bump down the difficulty dude. Its too hard for you. Or you came there drained of salt and health which wouldn't help.

I've been having no trouble up until this point. Hard mode has been pretty breezy for the most part. I had max health and salts too, I just didn't expect that kind of encounter. I came in with a hand cannon and sniper rifle.

FartOfWar

Banned
That's not the point. Like its predecessor, it's a game that puts politics front and center. But the problem with Infinite--in contrast to the first game--is that Infinite tries to criticize ideology by criticizing all ideologies.
Does it criticize all ideologies or acknowledge that all ideologies ultimately must find life and expression in human lives, and human lives are notoriously messy.

gdt

I've been having no trouble up until this point. Hard mode has been pretty breezy for the most part. I had max health and salts too, I just didn't expect that kind of encounter. I came in with a hand cannon and sniper rifle.

Vigors? Fire fire fire fire. Some people also use charge plus a certain gear loadout to semi-cheese it.

Cystm

How do I beat
Lady Comstock on hard?

You are going to have to restart from a save. You need your vigors / ammo for this one.

Return to sender. If you run in close to her, she unleashes a powerful attack, plus with all of her minions attacking you simultaneously you are absorbing a lot of damage which will devastate the boss once returned.

You can also use Shock Jockey + the storm hat to chain lightning all of her summons, and use Devil's kiss on her.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Quite possibly one of the greatest intros this gen.

Amazing.

Riposte

No.

"Help, this fantasy game suggests that every kind of progress America made in the 20th century toward fulfilling both the spirit and explicit promises of its Constitution -- in terms of woman's rights, minority rights, even labour rights -- is just the corruptible, cynical and dangerously extreme flipside of white supremacy, exploitative labour practices, widespread bigotry, and religious zealotry. They're all as bad as each other!"

Hint: they're not.

It doesn't go nearly that far to equate them. In fact the game makes no real criticisms of the ideology of the Vox Populi (Columbia's counterpoints heard in
Fink's factory
are comical at best, like as if to say "look at these conservative religious wackos"). As far as being a political faction I don't even see them as a counterpart to Columbia. Rather, they are a reactive force to Columbia's arrogance and decadence. The city's ugliness is tearing it apart from the inside out and the aristocracy are all like "Let them eat cake" while they enjoy its pristine "America values". It seems like they were aiming more for the French Revolution than the Civil Rights movement (or maybe they watched The Dark Knight Rises, IDK). Looking at the parallels made in the game, the Vox really are
the misguided victims of Columbia led to be Fitzroy's personal arm of vengeance. Fitzroy is resentful and deranged to an extreme like BioShock villains tend to be. Any legitimate movement for equality is consumed by her blood-thirsty resentment (not so different from Comstock taking a (xenophobic) faith movement and turning it into his own hypocritical seat of power). Who are equated (explicitly) are Comstock and Fitzroy, which says nothing about a progressive standpoint outside that it is feasible that it may be corrupted by an insane person.
Soon after the story gets going, the game
pretty much drops the conflict to be nothing more than another background detail to focus on the story surrounding Elizabeth and the tears. The game doesn't even stick around to see the resolution of the rebellion through (making no comments on how progressive Columbia government would look like - though it is implied perhaps Comstock wins in the end given what goes on with Elizabeth. That doesn't really make sense as far as you could tell Columbia was down to defending their leader's home/ship. Maybe Booker's interference changes that).

Then there is the larger problem of creating meaning in a piece of fiction when it serves little purpose for said topic (a practice you can do for anything, period). BI doesn't really explore these themes much at all - though you could say the fact it is unapologetic about the American past it sets itself in speaks for itself. They are as much of a background detail (if not a handy plot devise) as "flying city". The problem mostly rests in the baggage you are bringing in with you and trying to adopt the game around it (perhaps you feel they have a responsibility to tell a certain agreeable story or put emphasis where it is doesn't exist). It doesn't want to play ball though because it is busy being a game about other things. At the same time, you can fairly say that they didn't really tell much of a story to tell with the Vox (or made them a real political entity separate from Columbia). I'd agree, but it didn't really bother me all things considered.

EDIT: Let's forget that at the end
Elizabeth exposes the reality/story of Columbia to be an example of a pattern with specific elements being interchangeable with an infinite (lol) amount of others. The Vox Populi are a plot device even within the story lol.

K' Dash

I see A LOT of people complaining about difficulty, why don't you play normal? Is there an unwritten rule that says you have to play hard or insane to enjoy a game?

I played on normal and still found challenge, I'd play hard but Time is my most precious asset and I won't put up with some fights that are bullshit on hard but fair on normal, don't have the time to be stuck a day and a half in a spot, not because lack of skills, but because bullet sponges or a bullshit boss.

f0rk

I see A LOT of people complaining about difficulty, why don't you play normal? Is there an unwritten rule that says you have to play hard or insane to enjoy a game?

I played on normal and still found challenge, I'd play hard but Time is my most precious asset and I won't put up with some fights that are bullshit on hard but fair on normal, don't have the time to be stuck a day and a half in a spot, not because lack of skills, but because bullet sponges or a bullshit boss.

Because the game isn't consistent in it's difficulty, there are really frustrating spikes towards the end, and the handymen. Most of the game would be too easy on normal.

Kacar

Does every copy of the game come with the original Bioshock included? My brother bought his yesterday and said it came with it.

ezekial45

Banned
thanks for the tip about Return to Sender. That worked wonders. I didn't even die this time.

Thanks for the help, guys. I just came into the fight unprepared.

It's somewhat unbalanced scenarios that bring on the complaining. I think it's a valid criticism to complain about scenarios where there is a profound increase in difficulty that feels cheap or less than thought out.

There are probably only 2-3 really frustrating shoot-outs that fall under this. Learning to fight Handymen is another interesting point as the first encounter with them is pretty overwhelming.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Hell, yeah! It just feels so very right.

I'm currently
defending the airship
on Hard... and, well, it really is. Not had much trouble till now (except
with Lady Comstock
) Pretty damn intense. The combat still has that chaotic quality of the original but with many more options available.

Really enjoying this, even if it isn't quite worth the scores it's been given. I've been paying close attention to the details throughout and I think I have a handle on what's going on... I predicted a few of the story developments (particularly regarding
Lutece's involvement
).

I'll see if I did get it right soon, I imagine....

I finished it. I was waaaaaay off. Brilliant ending. I'm desperate to discuss it but have to go and fill my face with curried meats. Is there no thread to discuss the ending or is that against NeoGAF policy...?

Top Bottom