• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Trigger

Because the game isn't consistent in it's difficulty, there are really frustrating spikes towards the end, and the handymen. Most of the game would be too easy on normal.

I cringe every time I see one appear. Maybe I've got the wrong strategy/weapons, but Handymen fight take forever.

conman

Does it criticize all ideologies or acknowledge that all ideologies ultimately must find life and expression in human lives, and human lives are notoriously messy.
It's not nuanced in that way. There aren't "individuals" anywhere in the game. Characters only function as archetypes (Leader, Factory Owner, Savior, etc.). It speaks in the language of myth and ideology. And that's fine. But that means that you can't get at the "human" element in a game like this. It speaks in large, systemic terms and in the language of myth.

To talk about "human lives" is disingenuous. For example, the moment in Finkton when you come across
the children playing music
. It would have been a powerful moment if the game didn't simply turn them into lazy stereotypes of what "poverty" looks like. There was nothing human about them. I think there's more than enough room for smart, engaged political discourse and Humanity (with a capital H) in a high concept game that speaks in grandiose terms. Like I said before, I think the first Bioshock accomplishes that very well. But you can't just toss "human lives" into a game like this and expect it to solve the contradictions built into its overriding (and unavoidable) political engagements. Compare this to something like Cart Life, as a counter-example. That's a game that deeply engages with the "human lives" that carve out small niches for themselves amidst overwhelming socio-political and cultural forces.

In contrast, this is a game that's about politics writ large. I don't see humanity anywhere in it, or if it's there, it's disingenuous, as I said. You're a smart guy, and I'm sure you've thought about this far more than I have. But I just don't see it. All I see are false histories being set up as straw men in order to knock them down and say something seemingly profound about "individuals." I'm all for ideology critique, but this uses historical revisionism as both the means and the object of its critique. That's simply bad logic.

Can't really get into this game. The beginning was amazing, now I'm looking with Elizabeth for the
Chinese guy who makes guns: Chen
. I don't know how far I'm in, or if it picks up, but now there no real reason for me to continue. Als quite linear.
Does is get any better?

DTKT

thanks for the tip about Return to Sender. That worked wonders. I didn't even die this time.

Thanks for the help, guys. I just came into the fight unprepared.

I think that's the real issue with the fight design. There is no foreshadowing and very little ammo within the area. In most of the other battles, where you engage several Patriots or one Handyman, there are always way to get more stuff from a vending machine. That makes the ghost fight incredibly frustrating.

LiK

Can't really get into this game. The beginning was amazing, now I'm looking with Elizabeth for the
. I don't know how far I'm in, or if it picks up, but now there no real reason for me to continue. Als quite linear.
Does is get any better?

yes, that's where things get better and better.

Riposte

I never used those vending machines and I had quite a lot of ammo. I mean you could explore the full area before walking into that fight.

EDIT: I also wasn't that bothered by the minions. Dropped some AoEs while they spawned to limit them and focused on the boss.

Does is get any better?

I thought the beginning was kind of boring, but I thought the game became better the longer it went on. I'm trying to recall the moment I started to like the combat and I think it might have been around then or early. So... whatever.

K' Dash

Because the game isn't consistent in it's difficulty, there are really frustrating spikes towards the end, and the handymen. Most of the game would be too easy on normal.

Not really, with the right combo of weapons and vigors, if you follow the thread, you'll see some of those, I mean I always used the ravens to stun, then the shotgun with some gear that stunned them when I overkilled, then the charge vigor wich not only exploded on impact, it also recharged my shield, I mean, if you know what you're doing you'll find an exploit eventually.

It's somewhat unbalanced scenarios that bring on the complaining. I think it's a valid criticism to complain about scenarios where there is a profound increase in difficulty that feels cheap or less than thought out.

There are probably only 2-3 really frustrating shoot-outs that fall under this. Learning to fight Handymen is another interesting point as the first encounter with them is pretty overwhelming.

Yeah, well, almost not having time at all to play videogames, I'm not going to put up with those battles on hard.

If you focus on 2-3 weapons to upgrade, shit is pretty manageable. My second playthrough was primarily shotgun and handcannon. Shotty for short range encounters, Handcannon for longer range headshots and shit, and both do a lot of damage pretty quickly against even the heavies, especially in combination with... practically any Vigor.

For that
ghost
boss, I used Devil's Kiss with the cluster/improved damage that does stupid amount of damage, chilling back with Handcannon shots all day. The third form there's a Dollar Bill machine in the corner, so you have practically infinite ammo/health if you got the money, which you should at that point.

After finishing the game.

Big Daddy vs. Songbird DLC please Ken

It seemed to me like
Songbird was just an alternate reality version of the Big Daddy. Remember, there's always a man, always a lighthouse, always a city
. It stands to reason
other things would carry over to other realities as well

Ugh, i think i hit a game breaking bug.

Feels like I'm about mid-game, I entered the
Goodtime Club but cannot proceed past the first room. It seems I have to go back out to Finkton to do something to advance the story, however, the game loads indefinitely when I enter the door back to Finkton.

If only there were save slots in this game :( Might have to start over now and I get so little time to play as it is.

edit: I suppose I can restart the chapter, but not sure if it remembers my upgrades, gear, loadout, etc. Anyone know if the chapter start saves your character state?

StuBurns

Banned
Not really, with the right combo of weapons and vigors, if you follow the thread, you'll see some of those, I mean I always used the ravens to stun, then the shotgun with some gear that stunned them when I overkilled, then the charge vigor wich not only exploded on impact, it also recharged my shield, I mean, if you know what you're doing you'll find an exploit eventually.
You said you're playing on Normal, so you can't really know about the difficult on Hard.

On Normal, the game is crazy easy, I died about three times, all because of my own sloppiness, and you really never need any strategy.

EDIT: That sounds harsh reading it back, it's not meant to be.

Riposte

Also if you really want to take down that boss's health fast (or any enemy honestly)... Crank Gun. Pretty sure there is a robo-Patriot on the way to one of the fights because I had one.

LiK

I'll have to try that. Usually I used crow and then tried to aim for the heart. lol, I wish they'd stand still just a little longer.

yea, that's why i use zap right when he's about to charge again. gotta keep him stunned longer. if you upgraded the stun duration for both, it helps even more.

Won

Well decided to marathon the game out and finished it.

Good game overall. Doesn't drag on like Bioshock, but still it feels it get less interesting as it went on.
Partially obviously because of the focus on combat. The game doesn't really offer anything new during the second half and you just repeat the same fights in slightly different areas. At least using powers is fun, so it doesn't become a silly grind.
The last battle though was pretty stupid imo.

Story was ok I guess. Need to let it sink in a bit. It felt like it played out the only way it could possible play out.

I just finished the game, I think from game mechanics wise Bioshock was a lot better in this regard. But story wise I love the size and scope irrational try to tackle. Loved the game.

Lakitu

st5fu
Just reached Monument Island on my second playthrough. Love it :) I can see myself playing this over and over just taking in the details. Can't wait for some DLC.

Dresden

Damn, got shock jockey, got the Blood to Salt vest, and just picked up a pair of Overkill boots right now. Everything blowing up with the power of the lightning.

moeppel

Just finished it. Wow and o_O.

Played it directly on hard. Aside from the first encounter
on the graveyard
which was damn hard, haven't had any problems :)

Liked it much more than the first bioshock.

I hear you man. Thats why I will be probably playing it over and over piecing things together until the DLC. Anything else just wont touch it.

Doing 1999 mode from the beginning was a mistake. I wish I hadn't so I had a good excuse to start again. Thinking I'll just get a guide and start combing through the game.

I'm having a hard time getting into Infinite, and this is coming from a guy who LOVED Bioshock 1 & 2.

I don't really like Bioshock 1 or 2 so your feelings on either don't seem to be any indication of how you will react to Infinite.

Doing 1999 mode from the beginning was a mistake. I wish I hadn't so I had a good excuse to start again. Thinking I'll just get a guide and start combing through the game.

From what everybody is saying, I'm glad that I did Hard on my first playthrough and am going to tackle 1999 mode next. Everybody says 1999 is great and no trouble if you played through it once already.

I think liking BioShock would help generally.

I got really bored with narrative of Bioshock after the twist and the combat whereas in Infinite the combat was always great and the narrative was pretty perfect. I think your right though and that if you liked the original you will probably be inclined to like this one as well.

The guide helps immensely. Pick one up.

Great Ill do that. I think I am also just going to go through the game and screencap the hell out it. Some of the best art of all time.

From what everybody is saying, I'm glad that I did Hard on my first playthrough and am going to tackle 1999 mode next. Everybody says 1999 is great and no trouble if you played through it once already.

Yeah it should be much easier now that you know what Vigors to focus on and the general flow of the different combat encounters.

ultron87

where are you and why?

I'm feeling it a little bit too. The parts where you are just shooting guys and there aren't rifts all over and skylines to have fun with are kind of dull.

And the story is a little fetch questy right now (though it just got way more interesting after
going through the rift to find a living gunsmith dude
).

Is the "blood to salt" gear any good? Does it give you enough salt to be worthwhile?

Is that the X chance of getting salt when you kill something one? Yeah, it has been pretty useful to me so far. Does a lot to keep you topped off.

where are you and why?
I'm looking for the "shock" salt so I can get to the airship. Infinite's gunplay is meh and I feel like the salts run out too quickly as opposed to the plasmids of past. I love the setting and Elizabeth is amazing but I'm just not having a lot of fun so far.

StuBurns

Banned
I got really bored with narrative of Bioshock after the twist and the combat whereas in Infinite the combat was always great and the narrative was pretty perfect. I think your right though and that if you liked the original you will probably be inclined to like this one as well.
I think they both go a little slack, actually,
they both have two 'fetch quest' areas, and all four of those drag I think.

I think Infinite is just much smarter for back-loading all the revelations. The wind just completely falls out of Bio1 after the twist. It'd be like reentering Aperture test chambers for a couple of hours after killing Glados (which I believe was actually the plan at one point).

It just happens that this is a far better combat experience, so even when at it's most slack, it's still more engaging for me.

Is the "blood to salt" gear any good? Does it give you enough salt to be worthwhile?

I pretty much always had it equipped after I got it. It was my favorite gear and really useful.

I'm looking for the "shock" salt so I can get to the airship. Infinite's gunplay is meh and I feel like the salts run out too quickly as opposed to the plasmids of past. I love the setting and Elizabeth is amazing but I'm just not having a lot of fun so far.

The combat opens up right after the section you're in. It gets way better real soon.

I think they both go a little slack, actually,
they both have two 'fetch quest' areas, and all four of those drag I think.

I think Infinite is just much smarter for back-loading all the revelations. The wind just completely falls out of Bio1 after the twist. It'd be like reentering Aperture test chambers for a couple of hours after killing Glados (which I believe was actually the plan at one point).

It just happens that this is a far better combat experience, so even when at it's most slack, it's still more engaging for me.

The only
fetch quest where I definitely got the fatigue was with Slates area
because it was so uninteresting for the most part. The other ones at least gave me a narrative reason that I was intrigued by to push on. I completely agree with you about Bshock and thats why it really fell apart for me.

Neiteio

I'm AMAZED that no one with the PC version knows how Chapter Select works. I guess everyone's like me and afraid to try an earlier save, worried they'll lose progress. I wish the game explained how it works, because I'd love to show other people the beginning of the game, starting with the quote from "Barriers to Trans-Dimensional Travel" and the "Are you afraid of God" voiceover before the lighthouse. :(

Also, I'm at
Ghost of Lady Comstock
, 17 hours into the game, and here are some crazy theories my mind is cooking up about the twist:

1)
Booker and Elizabeth are one and the same -- parallel universe versions of each other separated by a single chromosome, like the Lutence "twins"

2)
Elizabeth is a parallel universe version of Anna DeWitt, which would explain why people kept mistaking her for an Anna, Booker included

Hmm, I had more ideas, but even the above "twists" don't have much payoff in and of themselves. Even if they came to pass, their dramatic heft would depend on how they're contextualized.

HT UK

Omg that bit in the
Warden's Office
where you
activate the switch and turn around
scared the crap out of me!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wow. The perfect immersion going on right now. As I'm going through the opening game, I'm hearing tons of fireworks outside my house. Epic.

Top Bottom