• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

StuBurns

Banned
Meaning say if they're spoilers from Infinite or BioShock or both.
Spoilers are such a difficult thing to judge, for example, a lot of people have openly talked about the prominent song in the opening section, which I certainly never would untagged. Those tags above are less notable than that. It's more about the game design than anything really.

So i'm at where
Booker and Elizabeth enter the tear to the other dimension to get the supply of guns
How far am I in the game? Thanks.

Spoilers are such a difficult thing to judge, for example, a lot of people have openly talked about the prominent song in the opening section, which I certainly never would untagged. Those tags above are less notable than that. It's more about the game design than anything really.
Stubby, forgetting the handy-dandy rule that if it's not a spoiler to Dax it isn't a spoiler.

Sullichin

Finished my first playthrough (hard), was very pleased with the game overall.

I thought it was pretty lame that they repeated the
Lady Comstock ghost fight 3 times in a row.
I did not find any of these encounters enjoyable and thought that most of the regular fights were much better. But for the most part I really enjoyed the combat. Crows + shock jockey + overkill shock were my go-to. Hand cannon, sniper, and shotgun were my favorite guns. I did not like most of the Vox Populi weapons and thought Bioshock 1 had more memorable/unique weapons, although the actual shooting is better here. I was a bit disappointed with how linear everything wound up being despite hearing multiple times that it opens up at a certain point. It never happens. Sure, there's massive hub areas leading to some optional dead ends with loot and gear, but Bioshock allowed you to revisit earlier areas way more frequently than this game. The payoff is that Columbia feels like a much bigger world than Rapture. I am blown away by the amount of unique art in this game. I'll definitely pick up some DLC if it's substantial enough and not just a couple of skyline challenge rooms or something.

Much like the trip though Disneyland which it so adeptly emulates; Bioshock Infinite leaves me so excited I want to do it all over again.

As far as I am concerned, a true masterpiece.

K' Dash

You said you're playing on Normal, so you can't really know about the difficult on Hard.

On Normal, the game is crazy easy, I died about three times, all because of my own sloppiness, and you really never need any strategy.

EDIT: That sounds harsh reading it back, it's not meant to be.

Hey, I know what you mean, I wish I had more time in my hands to give it a try on hard.

TheMan

I'm having a hard time getting into Infinite, and this is coming from a guy who LOVED Bioshock 1 & 2.

it took me a while too, but this is coming from someone who didn't really care for bioshock all that much. To be honest- it took me a while to get into BI, then i sorta liked it, but towards the end I felt that the shooting sequences were really starting to drag. By the time I finished it, I was glad that the ride was over.

Echoing many others' sentiments, I think, when I say that my jaw was hanging open consistently for the last hour of the game. That, considering the numerous other wonders that you get exposed to throughout the narrative, is a damn fine achievement.

Infinite just opened a tear into my very favourite games of all time list.

I got really bored with narrative of Bioshock after the twist and the combat whereas in Infinite the combat was always great and the narrative was pretty perfect. I think your right though and that if you liked the original you will probably be inclined to like this one as well.

As much as I love Infinite the combat mechanic is pretty lackluster in comparison with the very first Bioshock. There is hardly and luring enemies into traps. The environment barely helps with your plasmids and the lack of a new "big daddy" completely removed the tension.

Infinite is the better game except for that.

Berto

I'm 13 hours in and it really picked up after a meh bunch of sections. It's been fun trying to understand the story, I just hope it's not too far fetched and non-sensical in the end.

Neiteio

As much as I love Infinite the combat mechanic is pretty lackluster in comparison with the very first Bioshock. There is hardly and luring enemies into traps. The environment barely helps with your plasmids and the lack of a new "big daddy" completely removed the tension.

Infinite is the better game except for that.
I quite like the actual handling of the guns now, and all of the vigors seem thoughtfully designed.

But I agree. In particular, the option to cycle through all of my vigors would've encouraged me to use them more like in BioShock 1 and 2. Also, I wish there was more focus on traps -- enemies often stand their ground, so they're not likely to fall into your vigor traps, and I miss complex death traps like the ones I made in BioShock 2, with the tripwires and fire-charged cyclones and proximity mines on the ceiling and so on. In Rapture, I could turn entire rooms into elaborate traps -- the floor, the walls, the ceilings -- and lure Splicers into them, while cycling through all of my powers, without ever having to pause the game.

Paganmoon

Sorry if this has been brought up, but anyone else sort of miffed that Elizabeth's facial animations are virtually non-existent? There's absolutely no emotion at all in them, whereas the voice is full of emotion, so there's a big disconnect between the voice and the facial animation.

Really bothering me actually, saw it in the early previews, but thought it'd be fixed by launch.

/P

StuBurns

Banned
Man, Ive replayed this final battle like 10 times cause
the generator keeps getting destroyed
WTF.
Try letting songbird hold down the deck and you take out the air shit, his 'respawn' time is longer than it takes you to take them down it seems.

Ego is what some countries (Germany?) call the first person perspective in games, to avoid confusion.

Bioshock Infinte is a fundamental different game than Bioshock.

Bioshock was an ego action adventage with the focus on exploration in open maps and some sporadic combat here and there.

BI isn`t that.

BI is a typical ego shooter with the focus on combat in linear levels and some sporadic exploration in a room left or right.

The only similarities they have is the narrative focus and unique art style.

Completed 1999 mode and the "No Dollar Bill Scavenger Hunt."

1999 mode was easier for me than my first playthrough on hard. I knew what to expect and planned accordingly. I actually died less and used more vigors than when i played through on Hard. I had a ton of fun. 1999 mode is essentially less money and slightly harder enemies. It's manageable. That was a ton of fun. Thanks for those that watched through the stream.

RedStep

Try letting songbird hold down the deck and you take out the air shit, his 'respawn' time is longer than it takes you to take them down it seems.

Another thing that made this a cakewalk on 1999 mode (final battle spoilers):

Before each "wave" (as the first zeppelin is arriving, and then as the second and third are arriving), put 5-6 Return to Sender traps around the generator. These persist (at least until they collect enough bullets) and will collect incoming bullets for you. That leaves you free to work on the zeppelins. I did that, took down the first zeppelin by myself (just run inside, sabotage the generator, and run back out). For the second and third, I called the Songbird on the left one (looking to the back of the ship) while I went into the right on my own. If there's a Patriot inside a zeppelin, just shock and run past it, sabotage, and run back out. By the time you get out of the third zeppelin, the Songbird should be ready for one last strike to clear out any remaining patriots. I failed over and over, did this, and beat it with a full 50-60% left

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I'm like 7 hours into the game. The art direction is fucking mindblowing in this game.

That being said, I don't think, so far, Infinite holds a candle against Bioshock 1. That game was better in every way except of the obvious improvements, such as visuals and tighter gameplay.

Jrmint

So I wasn't able to afford Possession For Less when I was at Hall of Heroes and now I can never find it at any other Vigor machines. Am I only able to buy it there? if so that is really dumb.

I don't really like Bioshock 1 or 2 so your feelings on either don't seem to be any indication of how you will react to Infinite.

The lady is giving this a shot, and between the fact that she can't stand the skyrails and she had the game freeze while on one and lost an hour of progress, she's pretty chilly towards this so far. She said she's considering playing 2 again after this, actually.

I on the other hand didn't care terribly much for BS1 and didn't play 2, so the skyrails are the main reason I'm enjoying combat.

So yeah, this is a tough one to judge who is gonna like it before trying it.

Plissken

So I wasn't able to afford Possession For Less when I was at Hall of Heroes and now I can never find it at any other Vigor machines. Am I only able to buy it there? if so that is really dumb.

It'll come up again, but it did seem to be the one that appeared the least.

it took me a while too, but this is coming from someone who didn't really care for bioshock all that much. To be honest- it took me a while to get into BI, then i sorta liked it, but towards the end I felt that the shooting sequences were really starting to drag. By the time I finished it, I was glad that the ride was over.
Yeah I'm starting to dig it very slowly...but Infinite hasn't grabbed me like the previous games did. At least not yet.

Zeliard

Undertow is best straight stun with chest exposure. Crows work. With the right gear you can finish a Charge with temp invuln. Use skylines to bait him into skyline denial attacks then counter attack. Look for decoy tears. Devils kiss and tis traps do good direct damage.

Fun way to beat on Handyman is to keep Undertow-pulling him into a Tesla coil tear as you shoot him in the heart. Dude won't even know what hit him.

Got a story question.

I kinda hinted at this confusion earlier, but now I'm kinda even more lost. I was in the gondola with Elizabeth heading towards the docking station for the First Lady's Aerodome. Elizabeth inquired about why Booker is in Columbia and the reason he's rescuing her. Booker reveals to her that he's been hired to take her out of the city to meet the men who hired him. My question: Why is Elizabeth going along with Booker at this point? Does she believe she has no other choice, or does she believe that the men who hired Booker have her better interests at heart?

Does this get answered later in the game?

Fun way to beat on Handyman is to keep Undertow-pulling him into a Tesla coil tear as you shoot him in the heart. Dude won't even know what hit him.

This is brilliant.

Got a story question.

I kinda hinted at this confusion earlier, but now I'm kinda even more lost. I was in the gondola with Elizabeth heading towards the docking station for the First Lady's Aerodome. Elizabeth inquired about why Booker is in Columbia and the reason he's rescuing her. Booker reveals to her that he's been hired to take her out of the city to meet the men who hired him. My question: Why is Elizabeth going along with Booker at this point? Does she believe she has no other choice, or does she believe that the men who hired Booker have her better interests at heart?

All will be revealed.

I'm having a hard time getting into Infinite, and this is coming from a guy who LOVED Bioshock 1 & 2.

Hmm. I'm feeling a bit funny towards the game too. I feel like nothing is being explained to me. I've played (and loved) Bioshock and know that there will be some twists, but I'm a few hours in and haven't the slightest clue who anyone is or why I'm doing what I'm doing.

I don't know how or why I have vigors, or why no-one else has them. I don't know what
pinkertons are, who this Slate guy I fought is, what the Chinese have to do with anything, or really anything about this prophet guy fighting a war.

I feel like the first Bioshock gave away its secrets in a way that could be followed, whereas this game seems to be throwing as much random/ boring stuff at me and hoping something sticks. I am enjoying
the story of Elizabeth
, but I get the feeling I'm missing out by not following any other aspects of the story so far.

I'm currently
rejoining Elizabeth after she found out I was using her to pay a debt and ran away
. Should I understand anything yet..?

Oh, and I haven't even used vigors yet, because they're all crap.

StuBurns

Banned
Got a story question.

Keep going, it'll be addressed, or more accurately, negated.

EDIT: Beaten.

I've never followed an OT even nearly this closely. Is the thing about people asking how far in they are always happening? It's pretty strange.

Mr. RHC

Finished the game. Wow at that ending
What, Booker DeWitt, Rapture(I did not play the previous Bioshock titles, What, lighthouse, what, what??)

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Columbia is no Rapture. The world is amazing to look at, but the exploration feels very limited. In Bioshock there were way more secrets: secret areas that you had to access through codes found on audiologs, the audiologs were hidden in easy to miss places, the upgrades to your character (power to the people machines) were also better hidden, and finding them felt great.

The atmosphere also can't match the feeling of the original.

nomis

Shawn, is encountering resistance inside
the zeppelins if you board them in the final battle
a random event?

After beating my head against the wall for a handful of deaths, I decided to stay away from the ground battle. The first time I did, I remember encountering at least a motorized patriot inside the first zeppelin. I could tell that this was a favorable approach to using Songbird on air targets, but the core was still losing too much health for my liking so I restarted the checkpoint. This time, I encountered no enemies at all inside the first two zeppelins, and used Songbird on the third because there were no ground enemies left. Also is it just my imagination, or does the game buff the core's hitpoints when it knows you are preoccupied in the air?

Top Bottom