• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Columbia is no Rapture. The world is amazing to look at, but the exploration feels very limited. In Bioshock there were way more secrets: secret areas that you had to access through codes find on audiologs, the audiologs were hidden in easy to miss places, the upgrades to your character (power to the people machines) were also better hidden.

The atmosphere also can't match the feeling of the original.

But the story and atmosphere touched upon so many points like religion, race equality and rich vs poor mentality that it still felt like the better game because of that, despite the fact that the combat was nowhere better.

FartOfWar

Banned
Shawn, is encountering resistance inside
the zeppelins if you board them in the final battle
a random event?

After beating my head against the wall for a handful of deaths, I decided to stay away from the ground battle. The first time I did, I remember encountering at least a motorized patriot inside the first zeppelin. I could tell that this was a favorable approach to using Songbird on air targets, but the core was still losing too much health for my liking so I restarted the checkpoint. This time, I encountered no enemies at all inside the first two zeppelins, and used Songbird on the third because there were no ground enemies left. Also is it just my imagination, or does the game buff the core's hitpoints when it knows you are preoccupied in the air?

based on your performance

nomis

But the story and atmosphere touched upon so many points like religion, race equality and rich vs poor mentality that it still felt like the better game because of that, despite the fact that the combat was nowhere better.

Nicolas-Cage-Trying-to-hold-in-laughter.gif

I actually liked how Infinite's equality themes were back drops for the action. If it were most other games they would make a real effort to show how mature we are as writers, tackling these risqué topics. Bioshock's happy to let you appreciate the context or just walk right by once you complete the prologue.
Keep going, it'll be addressed, or more accurately, negated.

EDIT: Beaten.

I've never followed an OT even nearly this closely. Is the thing about people asking how far in they are always happening? It's pretty strange.
It's something I've been thinking about lately. Like.. does it spoil the experience knowing you're in the final act. I mean you can tell with a book from holding it, and from a movie by flicking your mouse on VLC.. but I think it takes away from a game if you keep track of your progress like it's calories. I've said I think the game's crescendo was a little long but when the final act happened
and I wasn't really expecting it that feeling of having the rug swept out from beneath me just added to the experience.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Going through the sky-lines might as well be the most satisfying thing ever.

Wow, this game.

The only thing missing is the audio component. You can barely hear any wind or metal grinding. Mirror's Edge's falling audio was much more satisfying.
That might have been a conscious decision, so you can hear the enemies around the arena. It was especially useful knowing how far away a handy man was. I found them very difficult to keep track of.

You find the combat of Infinite better then the combat in Bioshock? In Bioshock you could lay traps everywhere. Each environment you entered had a multitude of options you could use where as in infinite the only thing that made it fun were the skylines. I am not bashing the game because I absolutely loved it but the combat in Infinite was pretty lackluster.

Goddamn @
the stupid ghost bossfight at the graveyard

Playing on hard and it's one of the most frustrating pieces of shit in recent memory. I can barely keep myself alive for 30 seconds.

Gartooth

Just finished the game on hard mode. It was an incredible experience, definitely going through it again to relive the story and look for the extra collectibles. One question though, do upgrades carry over to new games?

Also just have to say
Fuck the Siren, can't believe how many damn times I died due to that stupid thing, the later encounters weren't so bad but the one in the graveyard was agonizing.

Goddamn @

Playing on hard and it's one of the most frustrating pieces of shit in recent memory. I can barely keep myself alive for 30 seconds.

Get ready to
face her again two more times.

This game on hard needed some better balancing. Part of the problem is that you are impossibly strapped for cash which prevented me from buying any upgrades to my vigors. They are just too expensive.

You can but the majority of the enemies you encounter hide in cover and barely get out of it, making traps pretty useless.
Not the patriots.. and not so much the rebels who tend to charge you quite a lot. You also get a vigour which is pretty satisfying to drag enemies into.
Not to mention the choke points in the final act.
. Speaking of which fuck the guys you have to headshot more than twice to kill.

Trigger

Goddamn @

From where you start that fight, there's a crypt in the corner where you can camp and whittle away at her. It has a tear with medkits. Lady Comstock is the only enemy who will try to enter. If you kill her minions fast enough from that spot she won't get much of a chance to harm you. Ammo is the only concern at that point.

leng jai

Who thought losing cash upon death was a good idea? If you're bad and constantly dying the lack of cash just exacerbates your problems since you'll be running around with far less upgrades.

Get ready to
face her again two more times.

This game on hard needed some better balancing. Part of the problem is that you are impossibly strapped for cash which prevented me from buying any upgrades to my vigors. They are just too expensive.

Damn. Just beat it after getting that post out of my system. All my money down to drain though. Can't say I'm looking forward to that.

LiK

Who thought losing cash upon death was a good idea? If you're bad and constantly dying the lack of cash just exacerbates your problems since you'll be running around with far less upgrades.

Punishment. cuz I don't think they did that for Bioshock 1 and it made dying not that big a deal even more.

Won

Yeah, seems to be an attempt to fix the respawn system from Bioshock. Lot of people were complaining how you just could "wrench and die" your way through the game back then.

I personally still ignored it and reloaded everytime I died.

StuBurns

Banned
But your enemies stay dead. It's funny you have that stance, because it's basically Vita chambers, and people hated them for being 'baby mode' or whatever.

jonathanp

Man, Ive replayed this final battle like 10 times cause
the generator keeps getting destroyed
WTF.

Perservere my friend.

What helped me was to throw a bunch of charged Return to Sender traps in front of the generator to act as shields. What I also did was use Songbird on the ground troops first then Zeppelins as the cooldown time after clearing the deck is significantly less than after attacking Zeppelins. The Zeppelins are just there, the threat is the forces attacking the generator.

Dresden

You get so much money that even the hit from respawning in 1999 mode isn't an issue after like the first hour.

What are you guys upgrading, by the way, when you get infusions? I've been splitting all three categories (hp, shield, salt) but I get a feeling I should go for a focus. Maybe just more salt.

All will be revealed.

Keep going, it'll be addressed, or more accurately, negated.

EDIT: Beaten.

I've never followed an OT even nearly this closely. Is the thing about people asking how far in they are always happening? It's pretty strange.

Excellent. Also, Stub, you're following this OT closely because this game is awesome and you want to know what I think of the game every step of the way. DUR.

I absolutely love the game but the story isn't doing much for me.

Probably 10-12 hours in.

About to
visit the cemetery to pay my respects to Lady Comstock.

Punishment. cuz I don't think they did that for Bioshock 1 and it made dying not that big a deal even more.

Why not just have a decent checkpoint system? The whole dying and respawning routine middle of fight is so awkward.

I guess they don't want you to see a game over screen but I don't think this ridiculous animation is any better.

Edit: I don't wanna sound too negative on the game. I'm actually really enjoying it. Its gameplay shortcomings are just a bit too annoying to me.

REV 09

I wish the story would have focused on one of those ideas instead of trying to juggle all of them. The religious angle was most interesting to me. I feel like Bioshocks story is more coherent and consistent in its themes.

StuBurns

Banned
Excellent. Also, Stub, you're following this OT closely because this game is awesome and you want to know what I think of the game every step of the way. DUR.
Indeed, I'm envious, I'll never play Infinite again for a first time. It's living vicariously.

Regarding the guitar...
Is there a piano thing I missed? I think I saw Elizabeth's VA credited for singing a song on piano in the credits.

Goddamn @

That graveyard fight was pretty brutal.

I started by using Return to Sender along with the Crank Gun which gets her down to almost half and when you throw the ball of sender it can take her down quite a bit as well. Then I wait for her to resurrect a army around her in a circle and as soon as they spawn I did Bucking Bronco + Devils Kiss w/ the chain equipment on. It takes her down to almost nothing. Then I scoured for Salts and did the Return to Sender again along with your weapon of choice and she should be done.

Just finished it.

So confused.

This should help:

conman

I absolutely love the game but the story isn't doing much for me.
Similar. For me, I'm torn between loving the setting and being annoyed by the story/plot. I think the story team tried to tackle way too much all at once. There are three or four major story threads unfolding from the get-go, and I feel like you as the player just get juggled from one hand to another--purely for the sake of keeping every thread aloft at the same time.

Cutting multiplayer was wise, and I imagine was a big decision. IMO they should have also been willing to go further and cut some extraneous singleplayer levels (like all of the Fink areas, and probably the Slate stuff, too) and superfluous storylines (too many to name). By the second main area, I didn't have a very clear sense for what was at stake, why I should care, and what the most important overall goal was. There was simply too much too soon. For most of the game, it was purely the incredible visuals and the rich setting that carried me from one place to another, not the jumbled story.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I started playing 6pm and it's now 10:30pm. I've played for 4h 30 min and
I just met 'Liz
. Am I just incredibly slow or is
she supposed to be introduced this late into the game?

Darkrider

I just met 'Liz

I think you're just slow lol, but that's ok... enjoy the atmosphere. It's a great game!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I just met 'Liz

It took me about that long as well. I probably spent about 18 hours on the game, which is more than it took most people.

Trigger

I just met 'Liz

Pretty normal; especially if you're trying to take in the early atmosphere.

Top Bottom