• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

StuBurns

Banned
Not sure how far in I am (10 hours; didn't get to Elizabeth until more than 3 so I'm certainly taking my time) but I'm starting to get a bit annoyed by something story-wise. I guess I'll call this mid-game spoilers:
Just entered a second alternate-rift-world while getting the tools... they're certainly doing this without giving any thought to the consequences, even though they already know it creates these weird stuck-between-two-reality zombie-folk. I'm going to be annoyed if this ultimately gets to a point when they say "oh no, this caused [some bad thing]!" when it's been blatantly obvious since the first time that this is going to be incredibly not-good.

Weapon-wise I've had a hard time prying myself away from the hand cannon and sniper rifle.
The really stupid thing about that stuff is
they never question the other changes. "A bunch of random shit has changed, oh well, best carry on, I'm sure the airship will still be waiting for us if we just keep tearing randomly".

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Anyone care to share how they got past
the firemen encounter at the end of Finkton (after Fitzroy shoots Fink)
on 1999? I can manage the regular enemies, but then the Handyman comes in and he drives me insane. I try to lure him to the tesla coil, but he always manages to ram me and I can't find a medkit nearby. Hardest encounter yet.

DTKT

What does the Storm gear do? I had some pretty terrible gear throughout my game. The only useful thing was a piece with 2x fill up speed for the shield/-1 recharge delay. One piece boosted my speed by 50% when without a shield. That definitely saved my ass on hard.

Anyone care to share how they got past
the firemen encounter at the end of Finkton (after Fitzroy shoots Fink)
on 1999? I can manage the regular enemies, but then the Handyman comes in and he drives me insane. I try to lure him to the tesla coil, but he always manages to ram me and I can't find a medkit nearby. Hardest encounter yet.

Abuse the rail system. Handymen are fast, but they can't match Booker zippity-doop-boody-dap railhook. He might try to electrify a section of the rail, but it's usually limited to a very small subsection and it's easy to climb down for a few seconds. There is also a vendor machine on the bottom floor near the back of the map. It also seems like Crow Storm is extremely effective against Hadymen.

Milchjon

I think that's also something that bothers me, though. Most of the game seems to want to be about "Big Ideas," but then (very vague non-spoiler spoiler)
a red herring enters the picture
that jarringly makes it about something more personal. And this was my issue with Shawn's earlier response to my post above (where he says that the game eschews politics in favor of "human lives").

It's as if Irrational couldn't deal with or resolve the "Big Ideas" in a satisfying way, so they threw a wrench in the works and made it about something else entirely. The ideologies of the game are hopelessly contradictory (capitalism is evil, but so is labor activism; racism is evil, but so are those fighting for liberation; etc.), so they tossed in a "personal" story seemingly out of nowhere to bring the whole thing to a close and hoped that we wouldn't notice the ol' switcheroo.

It's a testament to the intelligence and risk of the game that this is even part of the conversation. But it's also no excuse for copping out.

I guess all this is true. But it doesn't bother me that much because a) I liked the core story and b) social commentary in games is kind of a tough thing to pull off anyway. Both Bioshocks that I've played were rather blunt in that regard.

HAND CANNON FOR LIFE

Did I miss something about that gun? It always sucked for me. Do you have to stand really close?

Andrew.

Banned
I never abandon my gold-encrusted handcannon. I'd sooner drop my shotgun/RPG/Carbine/etc before I let my Revolver hit the ground

I prefer distant headshots and close encounters. The HandyCan almost makes it too easy. Its a great gun dont get me wrong. I just find it surprising I dont use it much.

Eurocult

Fucking fantastic game. That ending!

I'm not even that great at FPShooters, but I had over $4000 left at the end, so new game + would have been a nice addition. I wonder why they didn't offer that?

Neiteio

Whenever I come across a new gun, I pick it up, fire it once or twice, and discard it, opting to stick with my winning combo: Machine Gun and Sniper Rifle.

The machine gun is for rapidly depleting enemy health when they're moving about quick-like. The sniper rifle has range, obviously, but it's powerful too, so at close range it's like a shotgun. Between the two of them, you can't go wrong!

Vigor-wise, I quite like my upgraded Murder of Crows and upgraded Shock Jockey. Return to Sender is quite a bit of fun. Also, I see great potential in Undertow's Bulletstorm-style grappling (the alt function).

conman

I guess all this is true. But it doesn't bother me that much because a) I liked the core story and b) social commentary in games is kind of a tough thing to pull off anyway. Both Bioshocks that I've played were rather blunt in that regard.
I agree. It's really tough. But the only reason it's part of the conversation is because the game brings it up ("bluntly," as you say). And props to Irrational for trying yet again. High concepts are now de rigeuer for AAA shooters thanks to the success of the original Bioshock. This one tries to do the same, only grander. And then... it quietly tries to sweep all of that bombast under the rug without us noticing. That's not just bad politics; that's bad writing.

Sullichin

Did anyone find the burstgun, heater, volley gun to be any good? I didn't like those weapons and I only used them if I had no other choice.

Also, I asked before... but how do I get the industrial revolution bonus content on Steam? Starting off with some infusions/500 credits would be pretty helpful for my upcoming 1999 playthrough

Zeliard

Possession is still the best Vigor, though. Allow me to demonstrate:

bioshockinfinite_2013u0j2v.png

That's my new friend and I playing skeet with his former pal. Possessed him, bronco'd the other guy in the air, and hilarity ensued in the form of a close-range shotgun blast. Also fun is possessing a dude and then electrocuting him, and watching as he becomes a living tesla coil that terrorizes everyone around him.

Also, I didn't know the Motorized Patriots had melee attacks until I possessed one and - if my eyes didn't deceive me - watched him smash the shit out of some dude with his Crank Gun.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So far, this game has the perfect balance of combat/exploration. I knew this game was gonna turn out amazing, but this is even better than my expectations.

Hylian7

Fuck this one particular part on 1999 mode, I swear it's impossible.

The part I'm talking about:
The fight against Lady Comstock's ghost. Seriously, how the hell does anyone beat that on 1999 mode?!

Also, I didn't know the Motorized Patriots had melee attacks until I possessed one and - if my eyes didn't deceive me - watched him smash the shit out of some dude with his Crank Gun.

Ya know how sometimes the Patriots just get tired of slowly walking around corners/columns and shit while you try to kite and rush at you? Giant metal Abe Lincoln ran straight at me and slapped the SHIT out of me with his giant gun, and I FLEW across the room

I don't have the cash for that, any other ideas?

You "might" be able to get the cash for that. The area is huge and there's a lot of stores that are locked up with tons of cash.

If you still can't get enough money after pillaging every shop... kill the adds with fire I guess so that they don't come back.

Edit: Shock will destroy the bodies too, but that's more expensive vigor-wise.

Zeliard

Ya know how sometimes the Patriots just get tired of slowly walking around corners/columns and shit while you try to kite and rush at you? Giant metal Abe Lincoln ran straight at me and slapped the SHIT out of me with his giant gun, and I FLEW across the room

lol that's awesome

I try to keep my distance, but yeah they can seriously gain some steam. After I got Possession for Less, however, I started looking really forward to the Patriots because they are juggernauts and it's quite nice to have one on your team (with Possession for Less you can basically keep casting it on him). And in the process their health is whittled down, so it's win-win.

Haha.
I beat her pretty easily by using Return to Sender along with the Crank Gun which gets her down to almost half and when you throw the ball of sender it can take her down quite a bit as well. Then I wait for her to resurrect a army around her in a circle and as soon as they spawn I did Bucking Bronco + Devils Kiss w/ the chain equipment on. It takes her down to almost nothing. Then I scoured for Salts and did the Return to Sender again along with your weapon of choice and she should be done.

papercamm

I typically used the Carbine and the hand cannon, though often enough I'd swap the carbine out for a heavy weapon or something else. Hand cannon is still my favorite weapon in the game.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Abuse the rail system. Handymen are fast, but they can't match Booker zippity-doop-boody-dap railhook. He might try to electrify a section of the rail, but it's usually limited to a very small subsection and it's easy to climb down for a few seconds. There is also a vendor machine on the bottom floor near the back of the map. It also seems like Crow Storm is extremely effective against Hadymen.

Okay, I'll try to use the rails more, but he rides them and chases me there as well. Vendor's no option since I'm going for the 'no dollar bill' trophy.
So far I've been reloading checkpoints upon death, but I'm gonna use revive here. It's really tough.

FartOfWar

Banned
I think that's also something that bothers me, though. Most of the game seems to want to be about "Big Ideas," but then (very vague non-spoiler spoiler)
that jarringly makes it about something more personal. And this was my issue with Shawn's earlier response to my post above (where he says that the game eschews politics in favor of "human lives").

It's as if Irrational couldn't deal with or resolve the "Big Ideas" in a satisfying way, so they threw a wrench in the works and made it about something else entirely. The ideologies of the game are hopelessly contradictory (capitalism is evil, but so is labor activism; racism is evil, but so are those fighting for liberation; etc.), so they tossed in a "personal" story seemingly out of nowhere to bring the whole thing to a close and hoped that we wouldn't notice the ol' switcheroo.

It's a testament to the intelligence and risk of the game that this is even part of the conversation. But it's also no excuse for copping out.

I didn't say that the game eschews politics in favor of human figures, just that people are required to make ideology anything more than abstractions, and as such the game in no way suggests that labor activism, for instance, is evil.

So far, this game has the perfect balance of combat/exploration. I knew this game was gonna turn out amazing, but this is even better than my expectations.

It just gets better and better man.

I didn't say that the game eschews politics in favor of human figures, just that people are required to make ideology anything more than abstractions, and as such the game in no way suggests that labor activism, for instance, is evil.

Hey Shawn was the
horse segment ever in the actual game? What happened to that?

antitrop

Would you prefer that every enemy run blindly at you?
Sometimes I think the only thing that will make people happy with enemy AI is if a digitized version of General Mattis himself storms onto the battlefield and starts giving orders.

#TeamCarbineHandCannon

Carbine is my favorite weapon in the game, leaps and bounds over everything else. Honestly I barely even used the second weapon slot. Vast majority of the game was just Carbine + Vigors.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
And I'm happy I'm playing this on hard difficulty. I haven't died quite yet, but I've been close multiple times and I really have to use my plasmids perfectly or I'm dead.

LOVE IT.

Zabka

This game's about the characters first. Always has been since they started showing it.

Sometimes I think the only thing that will make people happy with enemy AI is if a digitized version of General Mattis himself storms onto the battlefield and starts giving orders.

#TeamCarbineHandCannon

Carbine is my favorite weapon in the game, leaps and bounds over everything else. Honestly I barely even used the second weapon slot. Vast majority of the game was just Carbine + Vigors.

Unfortunately I was forced by hard mode to frequently change my weapons due to ammo scarcity.

Carbine and Handcannon is the only way to roll.

FartOfWar

Banned
Possession is still the best Vigor, though. Allow me to demonstrate:

bioshockinfinite_2013u0j2v.png

That's my new friend and I playing skeet with his former pal. Possessed him, bronco'd the other guy in the air, and hilarity ensued in the form of a close-range shotgun blast. Also fun is possessing a dude and then electrocuting him, and watching as he becomes a living tesla coil that terrorizes everyone around him.

Those two dudes were once pissing on that corpse. Was too much to ship though.

#TeamCarbineHandCannon

I'm all about the hand cannon and the shotgun. Mmmm... I love 'em.

I missed how I'm supposed to see the menu to play dress up with the clothes I have found. Would someone mind telling me what to do? Thanks.

antitrop

I'm all about the hand cannon and the shotgun. Mmmm... I love 'em.

I missed how I'm supposed to see the menu to play dress up with the clothes I have found. Would someone mind telling me what to do? Thanks.
O on the keyboard, and then it's the second menu panel from the left.

I have no idea why it isn't I by default.

O on the keyboard, and then it's the second menu panel from the left.

Thank you! Now back to figuring out what in the hell is going on with the story.

EDIT: Wow, a very nice menu full of things I've neglected this entire time. haha
Maybe a link to it from the ESC menu would have been better for a dummy like me.

papercamm

Thank you! Now back to figuring out what in the hell is going on with the story.

EDIT: Wow, a very nice menu full of things I've neglected this entire time. haha
Maybe a link to it from the ESC menu would have been better for a dummy like me.

I don't know what it is about Bioshock games but I completely ignored the analogous version of that menu in Bioshock 1 & 2.

DTKT

Being able to sell unwanted pieces of gear would have been a welcome addition. Right now, that entire system feels like a last minute addition.

Being able to sell unwanted pieces of gear would have been a welcome addition. Right now, that entire system feels like a last minute addition.

I thought the same thing! Especially I think whenever I used like five lockpicks (at a point when they were scarce) to get to something and it just turned out to be a pair of pants that I did not want. They made my butt look big.

Top Bottom