• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

I beat the game at 5AM this morning. Weekend ruined because my sleep cycle is derailed and I've got that ending to mull over now :)

The strangest take away is that I have had this song stuck in my head all day.

I think the sound design, as brilliant and important to this games as it is, can be detrimental to the experience sometimes. At one point, I started playing a voxophone, which was then drowned out by
Slate
spouting a line our two over the PA system... which was then trumped by an exchange between Liz and Booker... just too much going on sometimes.

Anyways, I really enjoyed this experience, much like I did with the original Bioshock. Well done Irrational. Also, Shawn
why didn't you thank anybody in the credits? ;)

Gorillaz

I feel pretty stupid not knowning this but uh. Where do you find out your playtime? I wanna say I did it in 10-12 hours, but I just want to be sure. Also im on PS3

Derrick01

Banned
Who thought losing cash upon death was a good idea? If you're bad and constantly dying the lack of cash just exacerbates your problems since you'll be running around with far less upgrades.

That's one of the things I really liked about the gameplay, actual punishment for death.

I felt it too late in the game when I was missing a lot of power upgrades and gun upgrades. You already don't get as much money on Hard as other difficulties so it really told me to stop sucking so much.

Gold_Loot

I started playing 6pm and it's now 10:30pm. I've played for 4h 30 min and
I just met 'Liz
. Am I just incredibly slow or is
she supposed to be introduced this late into the game?
It was about the same for me. I did a bit of exploring as most people I'm sure, but that sounds about right.

StuBurns

Banned
My final play-time: 22hours
Granted it was on 1999 but man I was moving slow through this game. Didn't want to miss anything.
It only took me about twelve, but once my Move things arrive, I'll do another playthrough and really go slow. I felt like I kind of rushed the intro a little, because I didn't mean to initiate the first combat instance, I was just wondering over to the thing like I would any of the other stuff I was looking at, then before I knew it, the game was off.

Similar. For me, I'm torn between loving the setting and being annoyed by the story/plot.
Yeah.

I would have liked the game to be about religious tyranny/people using power to control others rather than it being about...
Xenophobia? Racism? Perception?
Actually, I'm not really sure what they're getting at and I'm pretty sure I'm almost done with the game. Big problem.

I can sum up Bioshock easily. This one is harder and I don't think that's necessarily a good thing.

Just finished it. I was playing on hard and there are quite a few bullshit fights that drag on forever into the death and respawn cycle. Howeve, I love the story and how it was told in-game and without long cutscenes. The story is quite complex but they manage to convey it in-game so it was no small feast. It is definitely my GOTY or the last 2 years.

Sullichin

Including Bioshock as a freebie with this is such a nice bonus. I'm really excited to play through that again now, and for the first time on PC. I think I will do that before heading back into this for a 1999 run. Really pleased with the length of the game (took me 18 hours on hard mode with lots of exploring) and impressed that it kept such a high level of quality throughout with some minor exceptions. The
3x ghost boss fight
was about the only thing I didn't like. Amazing game.

StuBurns

Banned
Haa, I guess I meant among all the events that have happened so far. Also, it's super trippy when you
start to find audio logs of yourself

1313432983bioshock-infinite.jpg
Eternal Damnation

Milchjon

Yeah.

I would have liked the game to be about religious tyranny/people using power to control others rather than it being about...
Xenophobia? Racism? Perception?
Actually, I'm not really sure what they're getting at and I'm pretty sure I'm almost done with the game. Big problem.

I can sum up Bioshock easily. This one is harder and I don't think that's necessarily a good thing.

I think in the end, it's actually less about social criticism than you'd expect it to be.

While it's making a few points, and most of them rather bluntly, compared to Bioshock it's a much more personal story.

Can't get into more detail because of spoilers, but I think you'll see what I mean later.

HT UK

Just completed it now. Really enjoyed it. Very tempted to play it through again, which is quite rare for me.

There were a couple of instances where I felt the combat got in the way though. I just wanted to keep exploring and see what was gonna happen next, then some guys would jump in for me to shoot. I didn't get this feeling all the time, just occasionally.

Compared to many other games this gen, it manages to wrap up an ambitious story rather neatly.

So satisfying.

I'm still in the throws of the game so bare with the hyperbole but it might be one of the most impressive narratives I have ever experienced in a game. It certainty had a effect on me I haven't ever gone through before.

Oh man, thank you to whoever it was who mentioned using charge on the cemetary boss. Fire kind of worked, but you can basically 3 shot it on Hard with charge.

SmithnCo

I'm going through 1999 painlessly with this:

Electric Punch, Blood to Salt, Vampire's Embrace, Deadly Lungers

Electric punch lets you get "heavy" enemies like firemen and crow in a loop if you keep melee-ing them, and deadly lungers + vampires embrace is useful if you need a health boost and for easy melee. Blood to salt is just awesome in general, I find I rarely am in need of salts now.

Andrew.

Banned
Taking out
that first zeppelin was like
an Indiana Jones moment. Should've torn into Nico Vega (even ever so briefly) during that whole scene.

pargonta

is there any way to access the detached second floor of
the good times lounge show floor thing in finkton? i can't handle seeing a door that looks operable and i cant access it.i was looking for a secret button at the bar somewhat closeby on the other balcony, but nothing doing. a simple yes or no would do. if it is a puzzle no solution plz :D.

Zeliard

I'm going through 1999 painlessly with this:

Electric Punch, Blood to Salt, Vampire's Embrace, Deadly Lungers

Electric punch lets you get "heavy" enemies like firemen and crow in a loop if you keep melee-ing them, and deadly lungers + vampires embrace is useful if you need a health boost and for easy melee. Blood to salt is just awesome in general, I find I rarely am in need of salts now.

Blood to Salt is lovely. It was like the second or third piece of gear I found, too.

Final encounter spoiler

Are the zeppelins the last things you need to get rid of?

This is the 4th time I'm doing this, and my generator keep getting destroyed before I can get to the 3rd one.

conman

I think in the end, it's actually less about social criticism than you'd expect it to be.

While it's making a few points, and most of them rather bluntly, compared to Bioshock it's a much more personal story.

Can't get into more detail because of spoilers, but I think you'll see what I mean later.
I think that's also something that bothers me, though. Most of the game seems to want to be about "Big Ideas," but then (very vague non-spoiler spoiler)
a red herring enters the picture
that jarringly makes it about something more personal. And this was my issue with Shawn's earlier response to my post above (where he says that the game eschews politics in favor of "human lives").

It's as if Irrational couldn't deal with or resolve the "Big Ideas" in a satisfying way, so they threw a wrench in the works and made it about something else entirely. The ideologies of the game are hopelessly contradictory (capitalism is evil, but so is labor activism; racism is evil, but so are those fighting for liberation; etc.), so they tossed in a "personal" story seemingly out of nowhere to bring the whole thing to a close and hoped that we wouldn't notice the ol' switcheroo.

It's a testament to the intelligence and risk of the game that this is even part of the conversation. But it's also no excuse for copping out.

BearPawB

Banned
Final encounter spoiler

Are the zeppelins the last things you need to get rid of?

This is the 4th time I'm doing this, and my generator keep getting destroyed before I can get to the 3rd one.

the key is to never use songbird on the missile ships (the ones that appear at the bow of the ship), you can take those out with a few shots of your gun. As soon as an airship lets you attack it, you should attack it, otherwise it will keep sending out the presidents with crank guns

We'll see how I feel about it after I finish it but I wish there was more of a social commentary in there.
I was starting to dig the Vox Populi stuff but then it was basically
a red herring/dead end plot line.

Every time the game got interesting, it changed the direction entirely.

As it stands now, the thematic material is less vibrant than the first even if everything else is better.

ZeroRay

The combat is really fun once you have access to tears, skylines, and multiple enemy types. Too bad not every battle is like that; those that aren't are slogs.

So how far am I?
I'm on my way to Comstock house, in downtown Emporia with the snipers.

Not sure how far in I am (10 hours; didn't get to Elizabeth until more than 3 so I'm certainly taking my time) but I'm starting to get a bit annoyed by something story-wise. I guess I'll call this mid-game spoilers:
Just entered a second alternate-rift-world while getting the tools... they're certainly doing this without giving any thought to the consequences, even though they already know it creates these weird stuck-between-two-reality zombie-folk. I'm going to be annoyed if this ultimately gets to a point when they say "oh no, this caused [some bad thing]!" when it's been blatantly obvious since the first time that this is going to be incredibly not-good.

Weapon-wise I've had a hard time prying myself away from the hand cannon and sniper rifle.

Top Bottom