• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

DukeBobby

I finished the game, but would like to go back and play some earlier sections. If I go to a mid-game savepoint, will that overwrite all my previous saves and prevent me from going to savepoints towards the end of the game?

No, it will only overwrite the previous save you had in that section. All the other savepoints will still be there in the chapter select.

SmithnCo

And that's why an encounter that relies on one single random piece of gear to become trivial is broken.

I dunno, I think Return to Sender in general is pretty damn good for that encounter. Blood to Salt is useful because it gives you a boost when you take out the minions, but I think with enough ammo and full salt it's doable without that gear.

Hoooly shit! I just got to
Monument Island
and the part where you use the skyline for the first time and
escape the zepplin
was so much fun! Is the rest of the game that good?

BTW I want some tips. I'm always low on salt at the beginning. How much does possessing vending machines reduce the prices? Are vigor aid upgrades really that expensive?

DTKT

I dunno, I think Return to Sender in general is pretty damn good for that encounter. Blood to Salt is useful because it gives you a boost when you take out the minions, but I think with enough ammo and full salt it's doable without that gear.

I maxed out all my points in Shield and HP. It left me with very little juice for the Vigors. I barely used them.

I cheesed the 2 encounters at the bank and at the house.

There's a certain area that becomes a choke point where you can hit them with the sniper rifle and they won't hit back.

Lame way to beat it, but I was just glad to be done with it.

Neiteio

No, it will only overwrite the previous save you had in that section. All the other savepoints will still be there in the chapter select.
So tell me then: Say I want to replay the lighthouse at the very start of the game: Will I still have my bookmarks that mark the start of later chapters in the game?

By "bookmarks," I mean the autosaves the game takes that mark the start of a new area. I won't lose those going back to earlier chapters, right? I'd only lose any checkpoint saves in the -middle- of those chapters, but not the ability to jump to the start of each chapter, right?

Damn, this is confusing to explain.

border

I didn't put any infusion points into HP -- is there a reason that people do this?

I figured that shield is far better than HP, since it regenerates naturally and Elizabeth will find items that restore your HP (but not items to restore your shield).

Trigger

Hoooly shit! I just got to
Monument Island
and the part where you use the skyline for the first time and
escape the zepplin
was so much fun! Is the rest of the game that good?

Better, but there are some real rough spots. Zipping around big areas like that is exhilarating.

Zeth

combat is much more fun on normal than it was on Hard.

I died about 100 times on my Normal playthrough. It was mind boggling, and frustrating. I'm not a big FPS player but I play video games, and I'm not bad at them. Maybe I was rushing too much, after the half-way point I really wanted to see the end.

I didn't put any infusion points into HP -- is there a reason that people do this?

I figured that shield is far better than HP, since it regenerates naturally and Elizabeth will find items that restore your HP (but not items to restore your shield).

Shields are not as good against hard hitting enemies that can take your shield out in one hit.

But yeah, it'd be dumb to spec your character out for those 1 or 2 encounters where it might make a difference and miss out on all the fun with salts/shields.

I ended with 10 Vigor, 6 Shield and, 5 Heath.

Anything else seems wrong.

I think I did 10 shields 6 salt and 1 health. Must've missed a few infusions.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Seems pretty pointless, though infusions to health seem to be a larger amount compared to shields. I guess that could come in handy considering the annoying way the damage can rip through the shield and your healthbar, but not important enough to lose out on vigor use.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Read Mind in Revolt. What a great read. Certainly helps for when I start the game to understand what's going on in Columbia.

With the hand cannon I leave headless bodies laying EVERYWHERE.
It's fun, too.

Iron sight, BLAM. Iron sight, BLAM. Iron sight, BLAM. Repeat until everyone is headless.

DukeBobby

So tell me then: Say I want to replay the lighthouse at the very start of the game: Will I still have my bookmarks that mark the start of later chapters in the game?

By "bookmarks," I mean the autosaves the game takes that mark the start of a new area. I won't lose those going back to earlier chapters, right? I'd only lose any checkpoint saves in the -middle- of those chapters, but not the ability to jump to the start of each chapter, right?

Damn, this is confusing to explain.

Yes, you will still have the bookmarks for all of the other chapters. Only the previous lighthouse save will be overwritten.

MGR has the best final boss of the year, but I reckon BI has the best endgame, from
Comstock's creepy ass time displaced mental ward all the way to that YOOOO WTF ending

HERE BIRD!

REV 09

I died about 100 times on my Normal playthrough. It was mind boggling, and frustrating. I'm not a big FPS player but I play video games, and I'm not bad at them. Maybe I was rushing too much, after the half-way point I really wanted to see the end.

during the latter half of the game i had to play somewhat conservatively on Hard, but i just jumped into a few of the levels on Normal and they're so much more fun. I was swinging around and messing dudes up. Felt great. Handyman also wasn't the complete bitch to fight like he was on Hard. Handyman and even Patriots are "fun" killers on Hard....just a chore to fight. I could actually zap the Patriots and shoot the gears like you're supposed to on Normal.

Dartastic

Shawn, I'm watching my girlfriend play the game now (she basically has never played a FPS before, we tried playing Borderlands 2 for a bit but it didn't stick) and your tutorial area is straight up brilliant. The work the team did in designing and implementing that for novice players is great.

katkombat

Banned
MGR has the best final boss of the year, but I reckon BI has the best endgame, from
Comstock's creepy ass time displaced mental ward all the way to that YOOOO WTF ending

HERE BIRD!

Yeah. I loved the
Armstrong
battle in MGR but the
Comstock sequence where Booker kills him
in Bioshock Infinite was great too. Best game I've played in a while.

Dartastic

Shawn, I'm watching my girlfriend play the game now (she basically has never played a FPS before, we tried playing Borderlands 2 for a bit but it didn't stick) and your tutorial area is straight up brilliant. The work the team did in designing and implementing that for novice players is great.
...and now she's a little bit drunk and just finished the raffle and is running around hitting things and shrieking "FUCK YEAH GET IT AHAHAHAHAH!"

...um, yeah.

border

Shields are not as good against hard hitting enemies that can take your shield out in one hit.

But yeah, it'd be dumb to spec your character out for those 1 or 2 encounters where it might make a difference and miss out on all the fun with salts/shields.

They really should have considered adding a damage bonus to HP Infusions. That would at least make it an interesting choice between Defensive and Offensive abilities.

As it stands, the HP Infusion is just a lackluster and not very versatile version of the Shield Infusion. I suppose it might be different if you didn't have Elizabeth tossing you healing items during a fight. I get the sense that that having her toss you stuff like that was kind of a late addition to the game. I don't recall seeing any of that in the previous gameplay trailers.

...and now she's a little bit drunk and just finished the raffle and is running around hitting things and shrieking "FUCK YEAH GET IT AHAHAHAHAH!"

...um, yeah.

She sounds like a keeper.

Red

Nearing the end of one particularly creepy section of the game... I am playing in the dark with headphones on and had a sudden jump scare that just about made me shit myself.

Thanks Irrational, for the heart condition.

Holy shit, What the fuck?!

12/31/83

Nearing the end of one particularly creepy section of the game... I am playing in the dark with headphones on and had a sudden jump scare that just about made me shit myself.

Thanks Irrational, for the heart condition.

Yup, the bastards got me as well. I'm using headphones too.

Just finished the game. This was my reaction as the credits rolled:

icH6tkqNNM1QS.gif

Wow. What a game.

quaere

I'll have to let it sink in a little more, but I think this is my favorite game ever. It's been ten years since I finished my previous favorite game, Deus Ex.

It wasn't the game play, although that was fine. It's two things. First, if a play through was recorded, it should be awarded for Best Cinematography. That it can do this without having control of the camera is incredible.

Second, although I agree that some supporting elements were one dimensional, as the Eurogamer review said, this is a story about Elizabeth. And in that respect I don't see any other game as having come close to what has been accomplished here in developing and engaging a player with a character.
No game without an artificial timer has actually made me feel like taking any action was an urgent matter until the segment rescuing Elizabeth. I was so wrapped up in the narrative I actually discontinued my compulsive collectathon to rush to her aid.

Thank you Irrational.

Neiteio

Yes, you will still have the bookmarks for all of the other chapters. Only the previous lighthouse save will be overwritten.
I just tested Chapter Select. The way they have this set up is EXCELLENT. Basically, each new area or notable story moment gets its own permanent chapter listing. At worst, all you could lose is, say, anything saved within the latest chapter that's past the -start- of the latest chapter, in which case you'd just select that chapter in Chapter Select and regain that progress. So say in the second chapter, "Welcome Center," you autosaved after the baptism. If you chose "Welcome Center" in Chapter Select, you'd start from when you arrived in Columbia, and merely have to do the baptism again.

Also, choosing the first chapter includes the voiceover, book quote and boat ride at the start, so it's an excellent way to show the game's intro to people. In general, I'm looking forward to hopping around the different chapters and soaking up the sights and sounds at length. It's SO NICE not to have to make manual saves for each new area like I had to in BioShock 1; since that game didn't have a Chapter Select, a manual save was the only way to ensure I could revisit Fort Frolic for fun.

The Chapter Select system is excellent. And with that, this games hits all the right notes.

Hex

Banned
I am completely in love with this game.
Have not finished it yet, I just
rescued Elizabeth from the house after meeting older Elizabeth
not sure how long I have left but already can not wait for my next go around. I have my small gripes but definitely a work of art all around.

I am completely in love with this game.
Have not finished it yet, I just
rescued Elizabeth from the house after meeting older Elizabeth
not sure how long I have left but already can not wait for my next go around. I have my small gripes but definitely a work of art all around.

you got about an hour left.

Why have I not unlocked the Industrial Revolution pack? It's in the DLC tab for Infinite but there's never been an in-game notification. And there is no key available to use on the website. I preordered it from Steam. What do?

ZeroRay

Upgraded Bucking Bronco + Upgraded Devils Kiss is the shit.

Also, looks like I only have one chapter to go if hidden trophies left is anything to go by. I have my own theories on what the ending will entail and I will feel like a boss if I can even guess a portion of it.

Top Bottom