• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

SmithnCo

Aaahhh Yes... Just got past the last gameplay segment in 1999 without any difficulty, in fact it was very easy. Just
place Return to Sender traps all over the thing you have to protect. I got through with like 80% of its health intact.

Return to Sender may be one of the best vigors, if not the best. Only bad thing is it shows up pretty late.

Hex

Banned
Why have I not unlocked the Industrial Revolution pack? It's in the DLC tab for Infinite but there's never been an in-game notification. And there is no key available to use on the website. I preordered it from Steam. What do?

The tab will not change, the items will show when they can be used.
Actually there should be a key when you have played through I believe twelve of the puzzles, maybe a few more

Hmmmm... I think I may have broke the scripting in this part? Or something isn't right cause I am stuck. In the Good Time Club
after getting to the dead Chinese gunsmith and having the option to go through the Tear, that sounded like a point of no return and I still wanted to use the Vox codec I had just picked up. So I backtracked out of the Good Time Club and back to the Vox codec spot. Then came all the way back to the Good Time Club and the gunsmith and get the prompt to open the Tear. The Tear appears and I hear a sound effect. But then nothing. Elizabeth is stuck and no longer follows me and the objective still says to open the Tear but there is no longer any Tear to interact with.

*sigh* I probably have to reload... but this means I probably have to restart the chapter, since there is only the auto saves. Dammit.

Edit: Nevermind, I guess it resolved itself. Huh... just left the game sitting for about 10 minutes and
Elizabeth went through the animation to open the Tear
Weird.

So, my Steam time count says that I have 19 hours into the game so far. (I play really fucking slow and explore every nook and cranny) Without a doubt, unless something comes up later this year, this is my shoe-in for my game of the year and it's in the top 5 games of the generation for me. I'm enjoying it much more than the first Bioshock. Unless something horribly goes wrong, this is easily, for me, one of the best games of all time for me.

SmithnCo

Well, 1999 mode done and platinum received. Can't remember the last time I felt like running through a game three times in less than a week, lol.

DarkKyo

So, my Steam time count says that I have 19 hours into the game so far. (I play really fucking slow and explore every nook and cranny) Without a doubt, unless something comes up later this year, this is my shoe-in for my game of the year and it's in the top 5 games of the generation for me. I'm enjoying it much more than the first Bioshock. Unless something horribly goes wrong, this is easily, for me, one of the best games of all time for me.

It only gets better, man.

harSon

Banned
I'm fighting
Lady Comstock a second time
, and the gameplay is infinitely stale at this point. I absolutely love the narrative, the world, and have had a ton of fun up to this point, but if I'm getting sick of having to fight these waves the same way I've been fighting them for the last 8 hours. Fortunately the game is almost over (?), because I honestly can't help but roll my eyes when another wave is triggered for me to fight.

I'm fighting
, and the gameplay is infinitely stale at this point. I absolutely love the narrative, the world, and have had a ton of fun up to this point, but if I'm getting sick of having to fight these waves the same way I've been fighting them for the last 8 hours. Fortunately the game is almost over (?), because I honestly can't help but roll my eyes when another wave is triggered for me to fight.

You got like 30 mins left.
Power through, it's great.

SmithnCo

I'm fighting

You ever use any of the new vigors you picked up? I found Undertow and Return to Sender mixed up the gameplay quite a bit.

I'm fighting

I'm the same way, but I still liked the game. I recall thoughts like "For the love of God let it end", and "Oh God I bet there's probably a room full of guys in here"

Aaahhh Yes... Just got past the last gameplay segment in 1999 without any difficulty, in fact it was very easy. Just
place Return to Sender traps all over the thing you have to protect. I got through with like 80% of its health intact.

Return to Sender may be one of the best vigors, if not the best. Only bad thing is it shows up pretty late.

I kept forgetting about Return to Sender. Would have saved a lot of stress in that battle. Only had to do it over once though, so not too bad.

calder

Got it on PC, played 90 minutes so far. Runs well (I'm fine with 30fps as long as the eye candy is strong) and looks amazing, my 7770 does very high with a few settings dropped down.

The look and feel is wonderful, I spent as long as possible walking through Columbia before the action starts just soaking it in. I love being in the city when it's still pretty Utopian (looking at least, that society is pretty grim under the surface naturally) rather than showing up after it's all fallen to hell like Rapture.

Only complaint about the PC is the mouse settings. Well some of the keys are a bit awkward but I'm sure I'll get used to it, but the mouse speed is killing me. Set to lowest with hardware acceleration off is just a bit too slow, but one notch up and it's way too fast. My curse of having my mouse speed set pretty high in Windows probably is killing me in yet another game again, but with 2 24" monitors I need a speedy mouse for my desktop. Ah well small price to pay for the gorgeousness of the game, so glad I got it on PC. PS4 can't get here soon enough lol.

Gorillaz

I'm fighting

That is common area for a lot of us to get stuck and feel "meh" about. But you are getting close to the last leg. If I'm right you have about an hour or 2 left to go. Or to put it better your about 65-75 percent done.

nib95

Banned
I get the feeling that the ending of this game is what helps the game soar. If it wasn't for the strong ending, perhaps many people might not have thought as fondly of the game, since there's a lot of complaints about repetition and mediocre gameplay.

Personally I'm really enjoying the game, though on normal I'm finding it quite easy, and haven't really used much beside the Carbine for the last few levels...

x-Lundz-x

It's 2 am, I've been playing since about 7pm Non stop.

I just finished the game, and HOLY FUCKING SHIT! I am going to need a day to process this in my mind. All I can say is for the crew at irrational who read these forums I want to thank you for making what is now, my all time favorite game. This is epic game making, I mean words fail to come to me right now to describe how amazing of an experience this was. WOW is all I can say. I am not sure there has been a game more deserving of the praise this has been receiving. Game of this generation hands down!!!

GAF, I'm so tired but I want to start all over on 1999 mode right now!!! But I needs the sleep lol. See ya tomorrow in the spoiler thread!!

Watching the credits roll.
My mind is fucked. I mean, I had a feeling what the revelation would be once Booker confronts Comstock on The Hand of the Prophet. But... damn.

Trouble

Banned
Got it on PC, played 90 minutes so far. Runs well (I'm fine with 30fps as long as the eye candy is strong) and looks amazing, my 7770 does very high with a few settings dropped down.

The look and feel is wonderful, I spent as long as possible walking through Columbia before the action starts just soaking it in. I love being in the city when it's still pretty Utopian (looking at least, that society is pretty grim under the surface naturally) rather than showing up after it's all fallen to hell like Rapture.

Only complaint about the PC is the mouse settings. Well some of the keys are a bit awkward but I'm sure I'll get used to it, but the mouse speed is killing me. Set to lowest with hardware acceleration off is just a bit too slow, but one notch up and it's way too fast. My curse of having my mouse speed set pretty high in Windows probably is killing me in yet another game again, but with 2 24" monitors I need a speedy mouse for my desktop. Ah well small price to pay for the gorgeousness of the game, so glad I got it on PC. PS4 can't get here soon enough lol.

Are you adjusting it with left/right keys or dragging the bar with the mouse? You can tweak much finer if you drag the bar. I had that exact same problem, maybe it's because I have a high DPI mouse.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Personally I'm really enjoying the game, though on normal I'm finding it quite easy, and haven't really used much beside the Carbine for the last few levels...

That's like going to a great restaurant, ordering the same thing repeatedly, and then complaining about the menu variety.

How are people doing the last combat scenario in 1999 mode? Its not entirely clear what the win condition is and I can't kill enemies anywhere near fast enough to actually survive. The Motorised Patriots are the biggest issue.

Hey guys I'm at the battle where
you're defending your airship against a whole fucking army of vox assholes and you can use songbird to defend you as well

how much is left?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys I'm at the battle where
you're defending your airship against a whole fucking army of vox assholes and you can use songbird to defend you as well

how much is left?

that's the end

Neiteio

Not sure about the mouse settings, but I recommend rebinding your melee attack to "E" -- it feels a lot more natural for hitting enemies, imo, since it's right next to W (forward) and so it feels natural for a forward-hitting attack.

Finish that fight and be ready to be mindblown.

sheeeeeit sounds good. i died once on hard and decided to get back to it tomorrow since it's pretty late here. can't wait. if this is the final battle then....i really liked this game overall. far better than the first two bioshocks which i really didn't like as games.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I get the feeling that the ending of this game is what helps the game soar. If it wasn't for the strong ending, perhaps many people might not have thought as fondly of the game, since there's a lot of complaints about repetition and mediocre gameplay.

The ending definitely elevates the game, but I think that's important in any game with a big focus on narrative. A forgettable ending would be disappointing, and a bad ending would drag all redeeming qualities down. It needed to end well.

I maintain that it's an 8+/10 game for me because of the areas of gameplay that I'm not in favour of, and where I think improvements would elevate the experience even higher. Judging a product by all its parts, and what not. But I'm very happy it ended so well. Allows Infinite to be an excellent game with some blemishes, instead of a good idea that misses the mark.

Wow. So I played an hour earlier today, and it didn't save? Second time this has happened in this area. Seriously?

Try loading chapter. I had the game save my games under 'November 2005' for some reason, and then when I went to load it loaded the most recent save (which wasn't the most recent save but was dated later than the other ones). Look for a save which is dated earlier but further in level progress.

DatDude

Banned
The ending definitely elevates the game, but I think that's important in any game with a big focus on narrative. A forgettable ending would be disappointing, and a bad ending would drag all redeeming qualities down. It needed to end well.

I maintain that it's an 8+/10 game for me because of the areas of gameplay that I'm not in favour of, and where I think improvements would elevate the experience even higher. Judging a product by all its parts, and what not. But I'm very happy it ended so well. Allows Infinite to be an excellent game with some blemishes, instead of a good idea that misses the mark.

In the spoiler thread you seem really knowledgeable about the narrative.

What's your overall opinion of the narrative as whole? Do you think this is one of the best the medium has to currently offer?

Some of my personal favorite narratives were Bioshock 1, and Planescape: Torment, and I feel like Infinite trumps these 2 simply due to the amount of depth that Levine created while creating this narrative (the foreshadowing, the small details, the
Luteces
. At the end of the day there's just so much to analyze about this game's narrative.....and you could argue that Infinite isn't the first. The problem with other games though is that when your start analyzing and dissecting you start find nonsense plot holes galore.

Infinite is practically free of these...and what makes this even a greater feat is the fact this narrative is INCREDIBLY easy to fuck up and have an ending that'd have more plot holes than a Kingdom Hearts tale.

I don't know. Just discussing the various plot details in the spoiler thread alone, and just seeing all the neat "small" things that are scattered throughout the game really just stamps this notion for me that this is, in my opinion, one of the best narratives in the medium to date.

Red

The ending was absolutely enthralling. What a ride!

I think my favorite moment of the whole thing was during Battleship Bay, very early on:
hearing Girls Just Wanna Have Fun play in the background was such a surreal anachronism, it made me smile for like a full two days afterward.

I don't have time to play many games. Infinite may be my only major release all year. I'm damn glad this is the one I picked.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Started up tonight, played for about 3 or 4 hours (I have no idea). Enjoying the game so far, but I didn't like how quickly the conflict escalated in the beginning of the game. Spent the first 30-60 minutes being staring at people, pushing buttons, stealing cash from garbage cans, looking at shit through telescopes. Gettin my raffle on and then BAM, guns guns guns.

The cinematic parts with Elizabeth are great and I really like when you get to see her personality and how she reacts to stuff in the world. Other than those moments though she seems like she is just there to pick up money and ammo for me, which is a little disappointing.

I'd like to know how far in I am just for reference. The last thing I did was
Get into the Hall of Heroes looking for Shock Jockey. Talked to Slate for the first time.

DatDude

Banned
Started up tonight, played for about 3 or 4 hours (I have no idea). Enjoying the game so far, but I didn't like how quickly the conflict escalated in the beginning of the game. Spent the first 30-60 minutes being staring at people, pushing buttons, stealing cash from garbage cans, looking at shit through telescopes. Gettin my raffle on and then BAM, guns guns guns.

Also the cinematics with Elizabeth are great, and when you get to see her personality she's a good character, but otherwise she seems like she is just there to pick up money and ammo for me which is a little disappointing.

I'd like to know how far in I am just for reference. The last thing I did was
Get into the Hall of Heroes looking for Shock Jockey. Talked to Slate for the first time.

Maybe 25%-30% of the way.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Oh my god
ghost mother
on hard might be the most annoying boss battle I have ever played in any FPS ever. The concept itself seems really, really stupid in naritive, at least at the set up, but it's also already rather annoying
to have to unload two full clips into someone to make them go down, but now for that to not even matter.
It seems like the best option is to just stick to a well covered corner and fire at the boss until your sheilds get low and then run back to cover when they do, classic red light green light annoyingly simple and slow gameplay if I've ever seen it.

If it were a rental I'd send it back now, but because this was my most hyped game both of 2012 and 2013 I preordered it for full price, so I might as well finish the thing. The story and environmental art are both very good, but this gameplay is killing me, and gameplay is personally the most important thing to me. I don't know why I ever bought into the hype that this game on hard mode was equal to the great frantic FPS gameplay of the 90s.

I'd rather I'd preordered Crysis 3. At least the special abilities in Crysis 3 changed up the approach, unlike here where it's exactly like firing a normal gun, with the only difference being it disables instead of harms.

vltpNlo.jpg

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
After all they hyped her up, I hope she does a little more than just that in the game >_>

clav

At the final part of the game now.

Just failed the objective. It's late now, so I think I will finish it tomorrow..

Eyes are so sore for trying to beat this in one day

We'll see if this ending is hyped up as everyone says it is.

Can someone tell me if the ending will be some sort of screamer? Earlier, Bioshock delivered one of those classic moments that I woke up the whole neighborhood.

Infinite is a game that plays like a 7/10 but it's written so damn well that it doesn't matter. Infinite plays much better on the second time through in the same way that The 6th Sense was better on a second screening. It's layered more than you probably realize and it's much better for it. It has production value out the ass and you can tell that it had a ton of heart poured into it. It'll be a shining example of what is possible in story-telling in gaming even if it's not its champion. If that makes sense. It will live, live, have lived as a beacon of the future potential that producers of story heavy games should use as an example. Hope, Hoped, had hoped.

Artanisix

I loved Bioshock Infinite, but I think it'd be waaay better if they cut down the amount of shooting sections and put in... idk, something else. I'm not a big shooter fan though so that might be why. It felt especially weird shooting (major spoilers)
ghosts and shit like Lady Comstock
, they should have dealt with that section differently.

Oh my god
ghost mother
on hard might be the most annoying boss battle I have ever played in any FPS ever. The concept itself seems really, really stupid in naritive, at least at the set up, but it's also already rather annoying
to have to unload two full clips into someone to make them go down, but now for that to not even matter.
It seems like the best option is to just stick to a well covered corner and fire at the boss until your sheilds get low and then run back to cover when they do, classic red light green light annoyingly simple and slow gameplay if I've ever seen it.

If it were a rental I'd send it back now, but because this was my most hyped game both of 2012 and 2013 I preordered it for full price, so I might as well finish the thing. The story and environmental art are both very good, but this gameplay is killing me, and gameplay is personally the most important thing to me. I don't know why I ever bought into the hype that this game on hard mode was equal to the great frantic FPS gameplay of the 90s.

I'd rather I'd preordered Crysis 3. At least the special abilities in Crysis 3 changed up the approach, unlike here where it's exactly like firing a normal gun, with the only difference being it disables instead of harms.

I had huge problems with this section, but I don't think I ever got this mad.

Volley Gun + Shock Jockey works well here I found. Almost made the encounter easy after I got annoyed with it many times. Stay in the tomb with he 4 medkits too (not in he tunnels), and you can stay relativly safe..

Also, if you want to be cheesy. Mine the whole area in front of that tomb with traps. Run back to the Circus of Value. Buy salts, mine some more runs back to Circus of Value get full Salts, and then finally stat the fight. That will do some decent damage even before you have to fire once.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
After all they hyped her up, I hope she does a little more than just that in the game >_>

Nope, she's pretty useless. All she literally does is hide in a corner and occasionally pass you some health, mana, or ammos. Narratively she also opens rifts for you, but functionally you are the one to do that. And rifts aren't even much of a choice. You pretty much only need one open at a time anyway, so it's functionally the same as if there were no worrying about the rifts at all. They don't really seem to add to the gameplay at all, even though they do add to the story.

Top Bottom