• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Ein Bear

Just started playing this, am really enjoying it so far. Taking me ages to progress since I keep just wandering around and looking at everything in the world.

Quick question, but is Infinite supposed to take place in the same 'Universe' as the original? I know it's pretty much it's own thing either way, but I wasn't sure if I should be approaching it as a prequel or not.

Just started playing this, am really enjoying it so far. Taking me ages to progress since I keep just wandering around and looking at everything in the world.

Quick question, but is Infinite supposed to take place in the same 'Universe' as the original? I know it's pretty much it's own thing either way, but I wasn't sure if I should be approaching it as a prequel or not.

Don't treat it as a prequel. Treat it as its own thing and then put the pieces together as you go along. There's no way to answer this without a spoiler, lying or being obtuse and cryptic.

Derrick01

Banned
This is a really stupid complaint. Nobody's forcing you to sit there and watch the credits. It's the twenty-first century. You can find something to entertain yourself for fifteen or thirty minutes in the mean time.

I did. I shut the game off and found something else to play, and after seeing the scene on youtube I'm glad I did instead of waiting 15 minutes for a 10 second scene that went nowhere.

I have to say, im disappointed with the 360 version. Those visuals are really meh. Really takes me out of the experience. Too bad cause Bioshock 1 looked amazing on 360.

Oh well, i just got it on steam now so ill start it over.

Anyone interested in a brand new 360 version of Bioshock Infinite?

edit: too many spoilers in here. PM me if youre interested.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
First regret... playing this on hard :( About 12 hours in and it's just way, way too easy. At least I'm happy Normal-difficulty-GAF didn't convince me to play it on normal the first time through :lol

f0rk

First regret... playing this on hard :( About 12 hours in and it's just way, way too easy. At least I'm happy Normal-difficulty-GAF didn't convince me to play it on normal the first time through :lol

It can't be that easy if you haven't finished it in 12 hours

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
It can't be that easy if you haven't finished it in 12 hours
It took me five hours to
meet up with 'Liz.
I'm taking my time reading everything and soaking in the atmosphere. I've held down the walk-button more than the sprint-button.

-PXG-

Okay, I'm near the end of the game. Need some help. I'm playing on 1999 Mode.

How in the FUCK do you kill Lady Comstock's Ghost. Her HP is insane. I already picked up the Hail Fire too soon before going to the gate in front of Comstock House.

SmithnCo

Okay, I'm near the end of the game. Need some help. I'm playing on 1999 Mode.

How in the FUCK do you kill Lady Comstock's Ghost. Her HP is insane. I already picked up the Hail Fire too soon before going to the gate in front of Comstock House.

If you are in the first encounter, go to the crypt with the medkits in it and hide out. Her minions can't reach you. For other encounters I recommend Return to Sender.

Ein Bear

Is the copy of the original Bioshock that comes with the PS3 version compatible with the DLC from PSN?

Speaking of, is this a US only thing or something? I can't find any mention of it in-game, or on the box, on my PS3 copy here in the UK.

Edit: Just had to ditch my pistol for a shotgun. 2 weapon limit? What.

AEREC

I have to say, im disappointed with the 360 version. Those visuals are really meh. Really takes me out of the experience. Too bad cause Bioshock 1 looked amazing on 360.

Oh well, i just got it on steam now so ill start it over.

Anyone interested in a brand new 360 version of Bioshock Infinite?

edit: too many spoilers in here. PM me if youre interested.

Played the timed trial on PS3 and the framerate, image quality, and image tearing are horrible. But maybe that's because I've already played the PC version.

DSmalls84

If you are in the first encounter, go to the crypt with the medkits in it and hide out. Her minions can't reach you. For other encounters I recommend Return to Sender.

Fully upgraded Devil's Kiss + Storm head gear + Blood to Salt made all of those encounters a lot easier.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Haha charge aid is a gift from the gods. For people having trouble with a certain boss on 1999:

the strategy of using charge aid on lady cumstain works like a charm. In all 3 encounters I used nothing but charge aid + brittle skin + fire melee and the shotty, and each time I was done in under a minute, first encounter maybe 20 seconds. Charge aid allows you to completely ignore all her minions and just rush her. You can't afford to let this battle go on for long, and Charge is the ideal vigor for this strategy...

All in all this feared section went incredibly smooth, hardest point of my playthrough was by far the second handyman encounter. I lucked out there because at some point he just disappeared XD Most likely a failed skyline landing.

Um, I actually haven't finished the first Bioshock. Played a little on a friend's PC but decided to just wiki-ed it.

Anyone has any they're willing to sell to me cheap?

SmithnCo

Fully upgraded Devil's Kiss + Storm head gear + Blood to Salt made all of those encounters a lot easier.

I heard good things about charge too. One thing that really makes it easier on all fronts is Blood to Salt so you can get a bunch of salt from the AoE kills on her minions.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I think Bioshok Infinite is GTA IV all over again.
The game is good, but extremely overrated.

This comparison is hilarious to me because you chose a game that may very well be my favorite ever and the one popular AAA game I think is absolute trash. I usually don't hate games as much as I do GTA4 which is why I try to avoid posting about it at all.

I was on media blackout for GTA4 and just heard all the good impressions. Surely the sequel to Vice City and San Andreas would be awesome.

...I've been increasingly more cautious and cynical about my purchases ever since

That's the last time anybody get's the drop on me

Yoshichan

I was on media blackout for GTA4 and just heard all the good impressions. Surely the sequel to Vice City and San Andreas would be awesome.

...I've been increasingly more cautious and cynical about my purchases ever since

That's the last time anybody get's the drop on me
Fair enough.

Beat this last night, my god what a game. Going to buy the season pass soon cause if the DLC is half as good as the game, it is well worth the price.

i think that speaks more for the quality of the plot than the gameplay though, that it's so engaging that moments that take you away from it disappoint some gamers.

i would have liked less combat scenarios but the gameplay itself was fun.

except for those big hand dudes on hard. fuck them.

It's probably because of the fact that I'm going so slow, but I don't feel like there's too much combat in the game.

Played about two hours before I saved and shut it off, so I'm about 10 hours in. Got to the point where you're in front of
Fink's gold statue in Finkton.
At this point I'm wondering what
interest Fink has in Dewitt. Guess I'll find out pretty soon.
Also, I'm glad to see
Elizabeth's motivations for staying with Dewitt finally made clear. Also it was kind for Elizabeth and Booker to talk about how the city knew Dewitt was coming.

I had to restart a certain section.
When you first enter that area in Fink Industries – the one where the elevator is closed, the robot is telling people there are no jobs, and you have to find a way around – I saw an Infusion beaker in an office that required five lockpicks to unlock. Me, stupidly, had already used five lockpicks on that gondola which only gave me some stupid gear and a silver block. So I had to reload back to the point where I freed Elizabeth all over again. Got the Infusion beaker though! I've been strengthening my shields.

Also, at this point, I'm wondering what
happened to the Songbird. Can't wait for him to come back and learn where he's been.

Seeing all these people go on about how awesome the ending is...that's only making me more anxious to get to it. Worse, I probably won't until next weekend.

scitek

I just beat it. I liked the story, but the game itself was pretty bland. And I actually thought the gameplay was pretty bad until I became powerful enough, then it finally started to come together and it ended. I also think the ending, which was pretty good, leaves people on a high and causes a lot of the flaws to be forgotten about.

Sanctuary

I just beat it. I liked the story, but the game itself was pretty bland. And I actually thought the gameplay was pretty bad until I became powerful enough, then it finally started to come together and it ended. I also think the ending, which was pretty good, leaves people on a high and causes a lot of the flaws to be forgotten about.

The Sixth Sense syndrome.

scitek

The Sixth Sense syndrome.

I also realize people may actually really like the gameplay, and I say good for them, but I just thought it felt like a really run-of-the-mill shooter with a bunch of powers that I didn't find very useful, which is a shame because everything else outside of the gameplay seems so inspired.

Sanctuary

I also realize people may actually really like the gameplay, and I say good for them, but I just thought it felt like a really run-of-the-mill shooter with a bunch of powers that I didn't find very useful, which is a shame because everything else outside of the gameplay seems so inspired.

The original Bioshock was just as bad in that area; I have no fking idea why people keep saying the gunplay was "vastly" improved. It feels exactly the same to me. Are these people talking about the console version? At least that game had a superior atmosphere and the whole plasmid thing was not quite worn out yet and gave you the illusion that your choices actually mattered at all.

To me this "game" comes out like nothing more than another Walking Dead, but with some gameplay attached as an afterthought. It seems like too many people are getting caught being too glamorized by the pretty lights to see the man behind the curtain. I haven't disagreed with the general GAF opinion this hard since Dishonored.

Andrew.

Banned
Haha charge aid is a gift from the gods. For people having trouble with a certain boss on 1999:

the strategy of using charge aid on lady cumstain works like a charm. In all 3 encounters I used nothing but charge aid + brittle skin + fire melee and the shotty, and each time I was done in under a minute, first encounter maybe 20 seconds. Charge aid allows you to completely ignore all her minions and just rush her. You can't afford to let this battle go on for long, and Charge is the ideal vigor for this strategy...

All in all this feared section went incredibly smooth, hardest point of my playthrough was by far the second handyman encounter. I lucked out there because at some point he just disappeared XD Most likely a failed skyline landing.

Excellent strategy for the upcoming fight for me in 1999. Thanks!

I just beat Handyman #2 but with luck out the ass. After my first death, I ran to the coil and set some crow traps and the big guy just stood perfectly still about 100 feet away partially covered behind a column. I picked him off with the Carbine from a distance and the fucker didnt even move!

=D

SmithnCo

The gunplay is better in Bioshock 2 and Infinite just by virtue of dual wielding, which makes it a lot more interesting than the first one at least.

Played the timed trial on PS3 and the framerate, image quality, and image tearing are horrible. But maybe that's because I've already played the PC version.

I agree. On ps3 the game is very blurry, the textures are shit and the tearing is annoying.

While i like Bioshock 1 much better than Infinite, it´s still a great experience and i hope they port the pc version on ultra settings to the ps4.

scitek

The original Bioshock was just as bad in that area; I have no fking idea why people keep saying the gunplay was "vastly" improved. It feels exactly the same to me. Are these people talking about the console version? At least that game had a superior atmosphere and the whole plasmid thing was not quite worn out yet and gave you the illusion that your choices actually mattered at all.

To me this "game" comes out like nothing more than another Walking Dead, but with some gameplay attached as an afterthought. It seems like too many people are getting caught being too glamorized by the pretty lights to see the man behind the curtain.

Well, the combat is improved over the first game because all I felt compelled to do in that one was shock/wrench through the entire thing. This time around, using different guns feels much better, but the powers are still pretty useless, especially if you have Shock Jockey and the Gear that chains it to other enemies. You literally need nothing else.

To me this "game" comes out like nothing more than another Walking Dead, but with some gameplay attached as an afterthought. It seems like too many people are getting caught being too glamorized by the pretty lights to see the man behind the curtain. I haven't disagreed with the general GAF opinion this hard since Dishonored.
I think your comparison is ridiculous. Infinite is a well-designed shooter with a great sandbox; nothing like TWD. There have been a lot of great combat spaces for me.

Jharp

I am getting the everliving shit stomped out of me on 1999 mode. The difficulty spikes are absurd to the point of being unenjoyable. I just got to the
Good Time Club
and holy shit fuck that Handyman fight. After a few tries, I just booked it for the exit door and jumped the fuck out of there.

Now I'm at the Fireman fight immediately after, and there's no reliable cover it seems. Getting flanked on several sides by gun wielding guys while melee guys storm me, and Fireman's explosives home in on me? One fucking hit takes out my shield, and three or four hits kill me! What the fuck!

Does this shit get any better, or should I just give up? I'm halfway through the game, and it's only gotten worse and worse. I can't move around during fights because one enemy with a gun can do enough damage to just fuck me beyond any recourse. I've gotten by thus far by just staying at a distance, but that doesn't appear to be a viable option here.

I'm on PC, and I really hope there's a console command or an .ini file I can edit to switch the difficulty down, but I'm bummed to miss all the extra stuff I've heard 1999 has. What do, GAF?

Dead

well not really...yet
Well, one hand plasmid, one gun, which you can fire at the same time. Unlike the first where they were separate.

So you can shock while reloading, shoot while collecting Return to Sender bullets, etc.
oh ok

Yeah forgot about only being to do one at a time in the original

Sanctuary

I think your comparison is ridiculous. Infinite is a well-designed shooter with a great sandbox; nothing like TWD. There have been a lot of great combat spaces for me.

Yeah it's only ridiculous if you completely ignore the fact that everyone is gushing over Infinite due to it's narrative. Many people have issues with the gameplay, but they overlook it because "the story is so great!!!!". The Walking Dead has zero gameplay, and people gush over it because "the story is so great!!!". You cannot seriously state that this game is a refined shooter in any respect. It's passable at best just to get you on to the next story marker.

Andrew.

Banned
I am getting the everliving shit stomped out of me on 1999 mode. The difficulty spikes are absurd to the point of being unenjoyable. I just got to the
Good Time Club
and holy shit fuck that Handyman fight. After a few tries, I just booked it for the exit door and jumped the fuck out of there.

Now I'm at the Fireman fight immediately after, and there's no reliable cover it seems. Getting flanked on several sides by gun wielding guys while melee guys storm me, and Fireman's explosives home in on me? One fucking hit takes out my shield, and three or four hits kill me! What the fuck!

If its the battle inside the Good Time Club, you can finish off the first wave by setting a trap in front of the curtain. Just stay there and use Bronco on the Fireman. For wave 2, stick to the second floor and crouch behind the bar close to the medkits and take your time picking off each guy and use Devils Kiss/Bronco on the Zealot when he appears. For wave 3, Possess the Patriot as much as you can to help damage the turrets and mosquitos and then finish off whatever is left.

Surprisingly I didnt fuck up and die once during that battle. It was surprisingly easy.

99 4 lyfe

Yeah it's only ridiculous if you completely ignore the fact that everyone is gushing over Infinite due to it's narrative. Many people have issues with the gameplay, but they overlook it because "the story is so great!!!!". The Walking Dead has zero gameplay, and people gush over it because "the story is so great!!!". You cannot seriously state that this game is a refined shooter in any respect. It's passable at best just to get you on to the next story marker.

i guess the conservations i've had in this thread with other posters about what my favorites guns and vigors were and how we used them were totally made up

The shooting is fun. Loved it.

A passable shooter in my opinion was what we got with Spec Ops: The Line.

Yep, I love the actual gameplay, it's way more dynamic than most shooters. The vigors, the combinations, the tears and especially the sky-lines turn fights into great combat sandboxes. I get that the presentation and the story are headliners, but I dig the gameplay. There is little that plays like it. Nothing in fact.

Yes I can. Watch: When everything comes together — the weapons, vigors, skyhooks, skyrails, the AI (though it does have its problems) and tears — it's *a lot* of fun. Like that fight
on the boardwalk of Soldier's Field.

SmithnCo

i guess the conservations i've had in this thread with other posters about what my favorites guns and vigors were and how we used them were totally made up

I think people's opinions of the gameplay really change based on what vigors/gear they use. In my first run I used mostly guns and crows, which was pretty boring, but in other paythroughs, I mixed it up and came out with a higher opinion of the gameplay.

Using undertow pull to grab snipers and dudes from around corners, then melee-ing them for health or shock-chaining them and their buddies never got old.

Top Bottom