• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

tipoo

Banned
How many infusions did you guys find? I only remember getting two, I'm sure I missed oodles? There were also one or two that I saw and never got because I'm stupid, I assumed they were just salts, but you can tell from the three changing colours. How many in total are in the game?

I also didn't end up spending most of my money because I didn't realize how close to the end I was before it was too late to get to a vending machine, I think I had 4k banked, on regular, and I still found most battles easy. The final ship was the only hard part, never died during the ghosts.

I think it was deserving of all the 10/10 reviews, but part of my was let down by the lack of a singular final boss of some sort.

The end is so bittersweet, I've been thinking about it for days. Booker and Anna (seemingly) get to live as father and daughter and Anna never gets imprisoned for life. On the other hand, Anna never becomes Elizabeth, she'll grow up as a different person with different memories. Unless Space Elizabeth is still out there somehow.

The track "Elizabeth" on the soundtrack sums up the feeling very well.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
How many infusions did you guys find? I only remember getting two, I'm sure I missed oodles? There were also one or two that I saw and never got because I'm stupid, I assumed they were just salts, but you can tell from the three changing colours. How many in total are in the game?

There are something like 25 or so infusions, I think.

I think it was deserving of all the 10/10 reviews, but part of my was let down by the lack of a singular final boss of some sort.

Unfortunately, the final boss battle of Bioshock put paid to that.

I'm about halfway through and I've found ten I think.

Talon

i played the start of this last week and didn't really enjoy it, it just felt like a mediocre FPS with a nice art style. is it worth continuing for the story? I didnt meet elizabeth yet.
You're not even 5% through the game. Child, please.

tipoo

Banned
There are something like 25 or so infusions, I think.

Holly hell. It was easy even with just the two I got and barely any gun upgrades. With 25 the character would be a complete tank. That would be good for 1999 mode though, or is there less in that mode?

i played the start of this last week and didn't really enjoy it, it just felt like a mediocre FPS with a nice art style. is it worth continuing for the story? I didnt meet elizabeth yet.

Keep playing. Everything before Elizabeth is barely the game, if that makes sense. The story between her and Booker is the driving point.

I'd prefer it if they fixed the checkpoints and just force you back to them each time instead of this silly system they have now. I didn't think it was possible to get worse than Vita-Chambers that trivialize the game. I was wrong; this actually makes the game worse.

Finally finished the game. Story was good, game was flawed. Lemme know when modders patch in all weapons, redesign the death system, and fix the balance issues with Vigor and I'll be all for a 1999 mode playthrough.

agree

Prince of Persion 2008 insta-save-from-death falls in Bioshock Infinite REALLY sap away tension from Skyline exploration/firefights :(

Wanna see how it's done? go Bionic Commando 2009. Once you get the swinging down, some of the most fun yet still dangerous combat scenarios.

I also didn't end up spending most of my money because I didn't realize how close to the end I was before it was too late to get to a vending machine, I think I had 4k banked, on regular, and I still found most battles easy. The final ship was the only hard part, never died during the ghosts.

The end is so bittersweet, I've been thinking about it for days. Booker and Anna (seemingly) get to live as father and daughter and Anna never gets imprisoned for life. On the other hand, Anna never becomes Elizabeth, she'll grow up as a different person with different memories. Unless Space Elizabeth is still out there somehow.

The track "Elizabeth" on the soundtrack sums up the feeling very well.

There should be 24 in total. Not enough to max everything though. I ended up maxing shields and vigor capacity's.

tipoo

Banned
They went though two tears in the game and ended up in lets call it Universe 3. So does that mean Booker and Elizabeth no longer exist in Universe 1? And why are there not Elizabeths in Universe 3 then, or would universe 3 Elizabeth have already torn through and gone to her own version of universe 3, so the Elizabeths just keep shifting over?

In that vein, which universe "matters"? They get the guns in universe 3, leaving universe 1 as it was?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I'm just about to shelve this. The scripted combat is just too awful and the story is yawntastic. I'll finish it when I'm over with Luigi, maybe, if Fire Emblem still isn't here

Dylan

It is kind of funny that BioShock was (rightly) castigated for the final boss, and then I've seen people complain about the way Infinite resolves as well. Can't win.

It strikes me that they might have run out of time/resources for the final battle in both games. Though this seems to be a running constant with every AAA shooter this gen.

sappyday

There are 24 total in the game but you get an extra 5 if you bought the season pass.

Duffyside

Banned
Guys, why do you think Booker is so incredibly short? The game lists his height as 6'1'', but he's clearly half that at best. What do you think the symbolism is there? That Infinite only reached half of its potential?

:p

Guys, why do you think Booker is so incredibly short? The game lists his height as 6'1'', but he's clearly half that at best. What do you think the symbolism is there? That Infinite only reached half of its potential?

No, the people of Columbia are all just really tall :p

But yeah, I noticed too how short Booker is.

I guess I realise why I'm not as critical on the gunplay as some of you. I don't play much games anymore and only pick a choice few at a time. Last FPS I played was Dishonored.

In a way I'm kinda glad, because I love the story and the gunplay of the game.

I guess I realise why I'm not as critical on the gunplay as some of you. I don't play much games anymore and only pick a choice few at a time. Last FPS I played was Dishonored.

In a way I'm kinda glad, because I love the story and the gunplay of the game.

I still don't get the complaints.. we only get what? 1-2 really good FPS a year? and they have HALO or Call of Duty on the box.

I don't know.

PaulloDEC

Isn't there actually a joke announcement early in the game where Booker is described as either a curly ginger bloke or a man with an eyepatch, and that in either case he's no taller than 4"9? Shortly before you jump down into somebodies house through a skylight.

I still don't get the complaints.. we only get what? 1-2 really good FPS a year? and they have HALO or Call of Duty on the box.

I don't know.

No idea either. I loved it. Then again I also played in on normal. Since I need to finish it quickly due to time constraints I'd rather spend most of the time with the non-shooting parts of the game than struggle with it.

From ps3trophies.org

Bucking Bronco + Charge
Bucking Bronco + Devil’s Kiss
Devil’s Kiss + Charge
Murder of Crows + Devil’s Kiss
Murder of Crows + Shock Jockey
Possession + Devil’s Kiss
Possession + Shock Jockey
Undertow + Shock Jockey
How do these combos even work? Do I just blast both vigors at the same enemy? Seems counter-intuitive, since I never even had the inclination to use two vigors in combination. They all seem so singular, it's hard to really understand how they combine. Or is it simply just stacking?

It's Halo without the careful balance that goes into Halo's guns to ensure that two weapons only actually works.
This. These have been my thoughts every time I think about which two weapons I go into the next battle with. And I am always left a little frustrated at having to do so.

patapuf

How do these combos even work? Do I just blast both vigors at the same enemy? Seems counter-intuitive, since I never even had the inclination to use two vigors in combination. They all seem so singular, it's hard to really understand how they combine. Or is it simply just stacking?

This. These have been my thoughts every time I think about which two weapons I go into the next battle with. And I am always left a little frustrated at having to do so.

I found most of them intuitive. Undertow is water based, and shock jockey does extra damage when enemies are in water, so it does extra damage after undertow too.

Or with bronco you lift enemies up in the air and with charge you blast them into oblivion (it does explosive damage after an upgrade as well) ect.

Possession is the only vigor i didn't experiment with because it's way too expensive.

I only really used my guns to "clean up" the enemies after i blasted them with my vigors

Duffyside

Banned
Isn't there actually a joke announcement early in the game where Booker is described as either a curly ginger bloke or a man with an eyepatch, and that in either case he's no taller than 4"9? Shortly before you jump down into somebodies house through a skylight.

Yeah, there is, but the loading screen has his real info behind it, and funnily one of the few things you can see is his height. That joke is more there to mock people's inability to correctly recall events and persons, and to falsely assign negative attributes to people they hate. In my opinion, anyway.

Also, 4'9'' is still giving him WAY too much credit.

FloatOn

has anyone completed a vigor + skyhook only run?

I'm nearing the end of the game on normal and I looked up some of the gear you can get. It seems like it could work.

Talon

Because in a FPS, your vantage point is actually from the chest of the player character.

There was one game in the 2000s that had the vantage point actually from the head, and it messed with the shooting perspective.

Fjordson

I only have 62 Voxophones, so I'll probably end up with less than 70, but I've been good about finding infusions. Maxed out my shield and salts and have two upgrades into health.

I remember my first one I put into health, but then I realized how easier it is to just buff up your shield :lol that thing recharges fast.

patapuf

has anyone completed a vigor + skyhook only run?

I'm nearing the end of the game on normal and I looked up some of the gear you can get. It seems like it could work.

It kind of works lategame but at the start you lack vigors and enough salt.

Also, i don't think you could kill a handyman with only vigors.

Most of the ones I've tried, when you use two at once they create some Synergy. So for example, if you use Murder of crows, followed by Devils kiss, the crows catch on fire and damage they do jumps pretty heavily.

Undertow+ Shock Jockey is another obvious one. Grab a group with undertow, and shock jockey them for hilarious effect.

Some of those seem odd though, wouldn't posession+devils kiss just work against you by killing your minion?

See, I really liked it because it made you think. I mean, it's not hard to keep 2 weapons the entire game if you'd like, you just need to pay for it, but if you wanted to conserve money, you had to put some thought into what will work best. And if you aren't relying on dollar bill machines, you need to think carefully about what will be available, and what you want to upgrade. You also get those awesome situations where you have to scrounge and scavenge mid battle, which keeps the flow moving. I think it works really well here.

Andrew.

Banned
Emporia: Where exactly do I cheese the first
Lady Comstock and what weapons/vigors are suggested? I tried using FartofWars combo last night of Charge plus some melee gears and I got my ass kicked.

megalowho

Playing through a second time and I'm appreciating Elizabeth's arc even more. Such an engaging character built up in so many great little ways. For all that she does and reacts to, I can't remember her bugging out on me even once. Technically impressive, complex, helpful - she's awesome.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Lady Comstock and what weapons/vigors are suggested? I tried using FartofWars combo last night of Charge plus some melee gears and I got my ass kicked.

Return to Sender and Devil's Kiss worked for me... on my 50th try! :p

Playing through a second time and I'm appreciating Elizabeth's arc even more. Such an engaging character built up in so many great little ways. For all that she does and reacts to, I can't remember her bugging out on me even once. Technically impressive, complex, helpful - she's awesome.

I'm on my 2nd playthrough too and you're absolutely right... except her accent is starting to grate a little...

54-46!

I stayed behind her
(Lady Combstock's) crypt
for majority of the fight and then slowly made my way around the area to pick up weapons/ammo, using the crows as my "distraction", this in 1999 mode.

Got a little farther into Infinite today.

After I found Chen Lin's body I went all the way back up because I didn't see the prompt to inspect his body. It wasn't a total waste, however, as I had found the book to the cipher earlier and decoded it. Got an Infusion beaker and a voxophone. Yes!

Went back down to Chen Lin. This is where things got interesting. The Mysterious Pair shows up out of nowhere (seriously, who are these guys?) and begin telling Elizabeth and I that there's another way. Elizabeth opens up the tear, and we go in. The Mysterious Pair disappears.

Going past those two soldiers I had killed earlier and finding out that they remember death was...creepy. Chen Lin was creepy too.

Saved after you descended the elevator into Shantytown.

Maybe I'm an idiot, but how do you download it? I can't see any hyperlinks to MP3s or anything.

It's going to air today at 11, hun. :)

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
ouch, so there were 2 near identically named spoiler threads on page 1

I skipped "Spoiler" thread and clicked the second, not realizing it was also a spoiler

can someone who finished let me know - I read (potential big spoiler obviously)
booker and comstock do not exist in the same timeline. was that "the twist" ie did I completely ruin the big twist in the game? thing thats weird though, is that I thought something like that would happen since near beginning of game you see out of booker's window the dark dangerous world so it seemed the "two worlds" thing was shown from the start

DarkKyo

Got a little farther into Infinite today.

After I found Chen Lin's body I went all the way back up because I didn't see the prompt to inspect his body. It wasn't a total waste, however, as I had found the book to the cipher earlier and decoded it. Got an Infusion beaker and a voxophone. Yes!

Went back down to Chen Lin. This is where things got interesting. The Mysterious Pair shows up out of nowhere (seriously, who are these guys?) and begin telling Elizabeth and I that there's another way. Elizabeth opens up the tear, and we go in. The Mysterious Pair disappears.

Going past those two soldiers I had killed earlier and finding out that they remember death was...creepy. Chen Lin was creepy too.

Saved after you descended the elevator into Shantytown.

It's going to air today at 11, hun. :)

You are at the point in the game where the story starts getting amazing/addictive. It's great the whole way through but from where you are on I suddenly could not put the game down anymore. So good.

ouch, so there were 2 near identically named spoiler threads on page 1

I skipped "Spoiler" thread and clicked the second, not realizing it was also a spoiler

can someone who finished let me know - I read (potential big spoiler obviously)
booker and comstock do not exist in the same timeline. was that "the twist" ie did I completely ruin the big twist in the game? thing thats weird though, is that I thought something like that would happen since near beginning of game you see out of booker's window the dark dangerous world so it seemed the "two worlds" thing was shown from the start

just play the game and ignore what you read its all speculation.

enjoy the ride.

Top Bottom