• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Andrew.

Banned
Got a little farther into Infinite today.

After I found Chen Lin's body I went all the way back up because I didn't see the prompt to inspect his body. It wasn't a total waste, however, as I had found the book to the cipher earlier and decoded it. Got an Infusion beaker and a voxophone. Yes!

Went back down to Chen Lin. This is where things got interesting. The Mysterious Pair shows up out of nowhere (seriously, who are these guys?) and begin telling Elizabeth and I that there's another way. Elizabeth opens up the tear, and we go in. The Mysterious Pair disappears.

Going past those two soldiers I had killed earlier and finding out that they remember death was...creepy. Chen Lin was creepy too.

Saved after you descended the elevator into Shantytown.

Damn Dax, you is slow =P

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
ouch, so there were 2 near identically named spoiler threads on page 1

I skipped "Spoiler" thread and clicked the second, not realizing it was also a spoiler

can someone who finished let me know - I read (potential big spoiler obviously)
booker and comstock do not exist in the same timeline. was that "the twist" ie did I completely ruin the big twist in the game? thing thats weird though, is that I thought something like that would happen since near beginning of game you see out of booker's window the dark dangerous world so it seemed the "two worlds" thing was shown from the start

As JetBlackPanda said: carry on, it hasn't been spoiled too much.

t-ramp

Emporia: Where exactly do I cheese the first
Lady Comstock and what weapons/vigors are suggested? I tried using FartofWars combo last night of Charge plus some melee gears and I got my ass kicked.
I still don't really know what I'm doing with vigors and such, so I just
tossed Devil's Kiss out from my hiding place in the memorial several times and shot her a bit.
If I hadn't been playing on medium difficulty I probably would have struggled.

Andrew.

Banned
I still don't really know what I'm doing with vigors and such, so I just
tossed Devil's Kiss out from my hiding place in the memorial several times and shot her a bit.
If I hadn't been playing on medium difficulty I probably would have struggled.

This is on 1999 so I literally cant afford to fuck around.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Lady Comstock and what weapons/vigors are suggested? I tried using FartofWars combo last night of Charge plus some melee gears and I got my ass kicked.

Do you have charge aid? If so, you really shouldn't have any trouble. I had charge aid + burning halo + brittle skin and a shotty and took me about 20 seconds. However, I tried once before getting charge aid and that didn't work out so well. That upgrade is pretty essential.

Balphon

I hid in one of the rooms with health kits and used a sniper rifle. Took awhile, but it worked.

Andrew.

Banned
Do you have charge aid? If so, you really shouldn't have any trouble. I had charge aid + burning halo + brittle skin and a shotty and took me about 20 seconds. However, I tried once before getting charge aid and that didn't work out so well. That upgrade is pretty essential.

I have Charge Aid + the explosvie upgrade for it, electric punch, vampire kiss, blood to salt, and last man standing equipped. Now maybe I just approached it from the wrong angle, but it finished me off pretty quick.

Should I just totally rush in and give it a beatdown?

How do you hide in the crypt and pick it off if its health keeps regenerating? Do you just have to maintain a steady flow of gunfire so it doesnt have a chance to recharge?

This is 1999 btw

I beat the game last night. I really have zero ambition to ever play the game again, which sucks because I would love to experience the story again, like I did with The Sixth Sense, but I don't want to sit through what I consider boring gameplay.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I have Charge Aid + the explosvie upgrade for it, electric punch, vampire kiss, blood to salt, and last man standing equipped. Now maybe I just approached it from the wrong angle, but it finished me off pretty quick.

Should I just totally rush in and give it a beatdown?

How do you hide in the crypt and pick it off if its health keeps regenerating? Do you just have to maintain a steady flow of gunfire so it doesnt have a chance to recharge?

This is 1999 btw

Totally rush in! Hold charge, release, melee or shotty a couple of times. Then repeat immediately when she's further away again. Ignore all the other enemies of course. I only had to charge her 3 or 4 times.

The host asked Ken if he feels like you have to shoot things for it to be a videogame.

his response.

there are plenty of games that aren't violent, even without guns this story is violent.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
1999 mode isn't very hard once you've actually played the game. Only the
battles against Lady Comstock are annoying, well the first one is the other two can be "cheated"in a way. Also the final battle is annoyingly hard because of the ship's health.

Wut

You can most certainly cheese the first one. It's the third one that's challenging. And honestly the last battle is tougher than any of those three battles.

Andrew.

Banned
any tips for dealing with turrets in 1999 mode?

Hook up to the balcony above you when you first enter, grab the sniper rifle and facing the turrets, hook over to the small balcony to the left. Here you can hide behind debris piled up and take out each turret with the rifle. Just need to time your shots so you dont get pummelled.

Bought the digital PS3 version even when I have a terrible backlog, dunno why. Guess I just wanted to support a game that seems to do it's own thing and not to forget very good reviews.

Also apparently it is fairly short game so that is all good. I'll try to play few hours every night to burn through it fairly fast. Got some ''exclusive gear'' from PS+ too, dunno what those are about.

Just finished it, damn that ending blew my mind.
I pretty much loved everything about it. You can argue it's basically Bioshock with a different setting with the novelty of having an AI companion like HL2's Alyx but it's the execution that puts it above most games released this gen.
Art direction is second to none, story and characters are great, soundtrack is heavenly and personally I thought the gameplay was fantastic. Riding a skyline at breakneck speed while giving orders to Elizabeth and going crazy with your weapons and vigors can be intense as hell.

I wouldn't go as far as calling it game of the generation like some people, I'd like to save that title for a game that introduced groundbreaking gameplay mechanics like Portal or Demon's Souls but it's up there.

At the end of the day all that matters is that this is a masterpiece and the kind of experience only a videogame can provide.
Congratulations to Ken Levine and company. Can't wait to see what they do next, the bar has been raised.

Ce-Lin

I got a curious e-mail today from my usual and trusty retailer...

Dear xxxx,

Thanks for supporting the sale of physical media games buying Bioshock Infinite retail version for PC, even though we do sell digital downloads of our games supporting Steam, Origin, PlayStation Network, Xbox Live and Games For Windows Live we believe that, for a collector, nothing beats owning a physical copy with box, manual and optical media of their favourite titles, please accept the following gifts:

Bioshock (Steam redeemable code) XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
Bioshock 2 (Steam redeemable code) XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
Bioshock Infinite Season Pass (Steam redeemable code) XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

have a nice day !

so they prefer selling physical games instead of digital downloads, no big deal, but in fact the rewards are three Steam digital downloads :lol !!!!! no complaining of course, I know pre-ordering would get you the original Bioshock, I didn't pre-order wasn't expecting any gift and got two games and some worthy DLC instead, ok...

What's the deal with the save glitch? I just apparently lost 90 minutes of game time and got thrown back several levels despite many "autosaves." Is there a workaround? Playing on 360.

Sorry of this has been asked before!

I got a curious e-mail today from my usual and trusty retailer...

so they prefer selling physical games instead of digital downloads, no big deal, but in fact the rewards are three Steam digital downloads :lol !!!!! no complaining of course, I know pre-ordering would get you the original Bioshock, I didn't pre-order wasn't expecting any gift and got two games and some worthy DLC instead, ok...

Damn dude, nice!

What's the deal with the save glitch? I just apparently lost 90 minutes of game time and got thrown back several levels despite many "autosaves." Is there a workaround? Playing on 360.

I see a lot of people having problem with this. When you shut the game off, do you check the last autosave?

I'm on 360 too. Here's what I've been doing: Whenever I come across an autosave I need to stop at, I hit start, go to "Exit to Main Menu." The game then tells me when my last autosave was. Before I hit okay to go back to the main menu, I check what the last autosave was. If it's right (and it has been so far), I hit "A" and go to the main menu. Then I turn the console off.

Ce-Lin

Damn dude, nice!

yeah thanks that was a rather unexpected gift and really valuable, but from the point of view of a collector what I appreciate the most is the reversible cover, amazing compared to the generic standard box art. Worth buying the retail edition.

as seen a thousand times...

h98491D45

Dresden

I remember my first playthrough, when I wanted to stop playing but, upon trying to exit to the main menu, I noticed that the last save was about an hour before. Fun.

LiK

it tends to autosave when you enter a new area. if you're just milling about in an open area looting and stuff, none of that is saved.

Cudder

it tends to autosave when you enter a new area. if you're just milling about in an open area looting and stuff, none of that is saved.

yeah, i really have had no problems with the save system. its very easy to predict when the next one will come.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

That's no glitch, just awful design. Just make sure you try to exit and compare the time it lists to what time it is, it has auto saved on me and not actually counted.

Phew, managed to finish the game before my trip. Can't say the ending blew my mind like so many of you but it certainly was satisfying and original which is more than I can say for most games. Great way to cap the experience and I'm glad I played this, very solid game. I understood everything so don't feel the need to consult the spoiler thread but actually there is one aspect that would be fun to discuss now that I think about it. Maybe I will :)

Oh man, just saw the vigor combo post...That would have been a blast setting enemies on fire while they are suspended in the air from bronco... The game was so damn easy I just didn't bother with vigors much at all. If I knew how easy Normal was going to be, I'd have just done Hard from the get-go. I played on Normal because I originally planned on blowing through this game because I have too much to play but then it sucked me in like the first game did and I found myself soaking it all in and searching every nook and cranny for loot and upgrades.

Balphon

This is 1999 btw

Weird; I was playing on 1999 and her health didn't regenerate at all over the 10 minutes or so it took to kill her. I did have to use the hand cannon at the end when I ran out of sniper bullets, though.

To be more specific, I didn't hide in the room with the coffin, I hid in the room off to the side with the health kits.

Thanks for the tips about saving. I think this is a glitch though. In my case the game dumped me back about 4 areas. As I was replaying those sections I saw the autosaves happening, but they failed to register. I'm in mild suspense to see if my new progress has been saved correctly.

Normally I wouldn't really mind replaying parts of a game I enjoy, But it was painful to do all the money and item collection again. Ug.

x-Lundz-x

Not sure why so many people are having this issue. I played on 360 and never had a problem. The longest I think it going for me was about 20 minutes without an auto save (which mind you I think is still excessive). I spent plenty of time exploring so it's not like I was just blowing through the game either. People saying they went hours must be exaggerating or maybe were just staying in the same area not doing much of anything. I just don't see how people are losing hours of play time.

Fjordson

Not sure why so many people are having this issue. I played on 360 and never had a problem. The longest I think it going for me was about 20 minutes without an auto save (which mind you I think is still excessive). I spent plenty of time exploring so it's not like I was just blowing through the game either. People saying they went hours must be exaggerating or maybe were just staying in the same area not doing much of anything. I just don't see how people are losing hours of play time.
Well I think he's saying it's a glitch. He's seeing autosaves happening in the areas he has to replay, but they didn't catch correctly or something the first time through.

Andrew.

Banned
Weird; I was playing on 1999 and her health didn't regenerate at all over the 10 minutes or so it took to kill her. I did have to use the hand cannon at the end when I ran out of sniper bullets, though.

To be more specific, I didn't hide in the room with the coffin, I hid in the room off to the side with the health kits.

Ok maybe Im mistaken and it doesnt regenerate. If thats the case, then awesome.

Gonna ask this thread again- how close am I to the end of the game? I think I'm close to the end and if that's the case I'll probably hold off on finishing it until later tonight when I have some uninterrupted free time so I don't have to rush.
Elizabeth was just taken by the Songbird and I'm just walking into Comstock House.

Seriously, no manual save is just bizarre since the previous games had it.

That's my biggest issue with the game so far, especially if you're like me and trying to scrounge around every corner getting supplies and junk. You spend a bunch of time exploring and collecting things only to quit and not realize that you just lost a bunch of progress.

I really do not understand why so many recent games have gone to just autosaves and checkpoints, getting rid of manual save slots or quicksaves. Why?

Dead

well not really...yet
Gonna ask this thread again- how close am I to the end of the game? I think I'm close to the end and if that's the case I'll probably hold off on finishing it until later tonight when I have some uninterrupted free time so I don't have to rush.
Elizabeth was just taken by the Songbird and I'm just walking into Comstock House.

That's my biggest issue with the game so far, especially if you're like me and trying to scrounge around every corner getting supplies and junk. You spend a bunch of time exploring and collecting things only to quit and not realize that you just lost a bunch of progress.

I really do not understand why so many recent games have gone to just autosaves and checkpoints, getting rid of manual save slots or quicksaves. Why?
You have another 2, maybe 3 hours

Top Bottom