• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Riposte

Looking at all the nice propaganda poster riffs in the game, the "fancy" cover art they presented in that fan vote is even more of a letdown.

You have another 2, maybe 3 hours

Thank you!

Wow, thats a little longer than I figured. I thought I had maybe an hour tops. Especially considering how slow I'm playing.

I'm pretty sure my Steam time is off a little but its at 23 hours so far on my first play through!

GavinGT

Banned
I really do not understand why so many recent games have gone to just autosaves and checkpoints, getting rid of manual save slots or quicksaves. Why?

My guess is that they wanted to prevent people from sidestepping the consequences for death by constantly reloading saves. I would be happy if I could manually save outside of combat, at least.

Completed it on '99 mode yesterday, and disregarding the LOL worthy finale and overall plot, the game as a whole is a steaming pile of wasted ambition and compromised gameplay philosophies. Overall, the running theme with the game's gameplay design seems to be "lets take control out of the players hand, and do it for them -- because they aren't smart enough to handle that themselves!".

I don't really agree with your expanded gameplay analysis beyond the indisputable facts of what is/isn't in this game compared to the other two, but I appreciate you providing specifics and putting in the effort.

Your opening paragraph though I'd like to see you expand upon in a different direction, because I'm not sure I'm understanding your take on their design philosophies. My experience has been mostly opposite, though I'm not yet finished. Perhaps I'm just projecting after playing some really awful hand-holdy, cutscene-laden junk with obnoxious QTEs thrown in lately, but I've actually been pleased with how this game basically lets me do what I want within its framework. It's super linear, and there are no real meaningful choices beyond gear setup and infusions, but I just don't see how that amounts to what you're saying here.

EDIT: Also what the fucking fuck is wrong with the checkpoint system?! I got three total in the last 9 hours of playtime, and two of those were virtually back to back. I lost 1 1/2 hours of playtime once due to a power outage and nearly snapped the disc in half :mad:

The game deserves any reaming it receives for the number of bugs I've encountered combined with their very poor checkpoint / save system implementation. One or the other might be a mere quibble, but combined they have made for some serious frustration.

Looking at all the nice propaganda poster riffs in the game, the "fancy" cover art they presented in that fan vote is even more of a letdown.
I think it's nice from a dime novel standpoint, which I guess is what they were getting at, but I've definitely come to feel that any of the Saturday Evening Post concept arts or the in-game propaganda posters would have been a better choice for a box art. It's also fucking hideous on a green Xbox case.

My guess is that they wanted to prevent people from sidestepping the consequences for death by constantly reloading saves. I would be happy if I could manually save outside of combat, at least.

Yeah, I mean in something like Dark Souls I can understand that. Otherwise I just find it incredibly annoying. Just let me play the game how I want to play it. In a lot of games I save a ton because I want to go back to play through a specific part over again. Crysis was like that, where I'd save before certain encounters to try different approaches. Same with Deus Ex. Or having multiple saves is handy if one save game gets corrupted- saved Skyrim for me several times that way.

Just seems like such a basic thing. And in a game like Bioshock Infinite where a ton of the appeal is the game's attention to details, its just baffling to me how they could think their paltry save system is ok.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
IT ARRIVED! Finally! I'm out, people! See ya in the spoiler thread!

2MF

I'm on vacation for two weeks. Should I get this or just play the first Bioshock (I've only played the demo yet) ?

Mr. RHC

My thoughts on the gun gameplay:

I must say it is getting really tedious at times, and since the vigors are only useable as much, you have to rely on the guns.

In certain scenes there are just hordes and hordes of enemy, really disturbing the general pace of the game.

I'm glad I didn't watch all the previous demonstration with the huge areas borth vertically and horziontally.

However the bigger areas that are in the game certainly are a lot of fun.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Just disable the shit saving for the rest of the modes save for 1999.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Auld Lang Syne muthafuckas! (googling it and reading the subsequent wikipedia entry made me sad about System Shock ;_;)

Clocked in my first playthrough at 17 hours. Winter Shield is the best Gear you can use for the final battle.

Will write up a review later, but I'm debating in my head between a 7/10 and a 8/10. Kinda wanna go with the latter only because it's so much better than so many other games this gen. Excellent game all around and certainly the best Bioshock (including Minerva's Den). Looking forward to the DLC.

DatDude

Banned
Auld Lang Syne muthafuckas! (googling it and reading the subsequent wikipedia entry made me sad about System Shock ;_;)

Clocked in my first playthrough at 17 hours. Winter Shield is the best Gear you can use for the final battle.

Will write up a review later, but I'm debating in my head between a 7/10 and a 8/10. Kinda wanna go with the latter only because it's so much better than so many other games this gen. Excellent game all around and certainly the best Bioshock (including Minerva's Den). Looking forward to the DLC.

Go to the spoiler thread an I'm sure it would turn into a 8.5 after all the new things you learn ;)

Amir0x

Banned
How far is this in the game percentage wise:

Songbird just crashed Lady Comstock's airship and you see those two weirdos playing piano afterward

Try to avoid spoilers for me (at least up to where I am in the game)
Just entered Comstock House after Elizabeth was taken by the Songbird
but where is the Winter Shield? I feel like I've been pretty meticulous combing through every area for upgrades and so forth but I think I might have missed that one? Or else I haven't gotten to it yet, not sure, will have to double check when I play next.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
but where is the Winter Shield? I feel like I've been pretty meticulous combing through every area for upgrades and so forth but I think I might have missed that one? Or else I haven't gotten to it yet, not sure, will have to double check when I play next.

The gear you pick up is randomized. You may not have gotten it. Placement is always the same but the item you get varies.

Aren't upgrades random? I got it too but I don't remember where.

Amir0x

Banned
More than halfway...probably 70 to 75%

I was going to say if it was only halfway I have no idea how people were beating the game in nine hours of their first ever playthrough

admittedly I'm moving at a glacial pace soaking in every inch of Columbia, but no way I could possibly be so slow as to only be @ 50% at this point. I got like 26 hours under my belt :p

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I was going to say if it was only halfway I have no idea how people were beating the game in nine hours of their first ever playthrough

admittedly I'm moving at a glacial pace soaking in every inch of Columbia, but no way I could possibly be so slow as to only be @ 50% at this point. I got like 26 hours under my belt :p

Holy crap. I thought I took it slow with 18 hours for the whole game. You're savoring the shit out of this one.

DatDude

Banned

What are you thoughts overall on the game and the narrative so far?

DRG

Neo Member
Does anyone else have a crapload of save files on their PS3 for this game? Seems like it made a separate file for each autosave the game does. Is it safe to delete all of them except for the most recent one? (I already beat the game).

Does anyone else have a crapload of save files on their PS3 for this game? Seems like it made a separate file for each autosave the game does. Is it safe to delete all of them except for the most recent one? (I already beat the game).
They're bookmarks, not saves. One of them are saves, I think.

Andrew.

Banned
Well Shawn, you were right.

1st
Lady Cumstain battle

Charge Aid + explosive upgrade
Electric Punch
Blood To Salt
Vamp Embrace
Last Man Standing

The fight was over in less than 2 minutes. No bullshit. I completely wrecked house. Stayed in the little tomb where the medkits were as peeps on here suggested.

Amir0x

Banned
Holy crap. I thought I took it slow with 18 hours for the whole game. You're savoring the shit out of this one.

Yeah, I really am. I have a substantial list of problems, but like Bioshock the allure is in traveling around this incredibly realized universe in a way only games allow. Both Rapture and Columbia are crowning achievements for world design in videogames, and I am just strolling around making notes on every little bit of incredibly detailed design.

As I mentioned earlier, there is a staircase by the first treasure chest in the game with a wooden stairs and bannister and a window lighting the area. The lighting and texture work is so stunning in this particular area, so small, that I spent ten minutes literally examining every inch of the wonder of visual presentation. The lighting affected an almost purple like highlight over the wood, while the wood texture itself was astonishingly beautiful. I guess this was what it was like to be autistic :p

What are you thoughts overall on the game and the narrative so far?

I have plenty of issues with the heavy handed nature of a lot of what I'm witnessing, but I will say it is a lot better than most games today. Which is not to say it's great, since it seems unless the story takes some real turn from here on out the problems will remain in my mind, but just that it can at least be termed adequate, which for me is a huge accomplishment for any videogame these days. :p

I won't post details information until I finish the story, however, since it seems by the nature of the ending, it is pretty important to 'getting' what Ken Levine and company were going for.

A bit more than halfway.
Probably like 80% if my memory serves me.

This is a pretty big disparity in estimates you guys :p

I guess for me I have at least another 6 hours under my belt to go from my pace; probably more like 8.

steven28

Can someone help me out here..i have completed the game and i want to go back through and find some of the audio logs i missed,if i load the first chapter of the game will it still keep all of the chapters i have completed ? or do i just start a new game ?

thanks.

Tips for what I assume is the final conflict
Defending the Zeppelin? Holy shit I've tried it several times and there is just too many different enemies and barges attacking, especially with enemies ramping up in health towards the end of the game.

DukeBobby

Defending the Zeppelin? Holy shit I've tried it several times and there is just too many different enemies and barges attacking, especially with enemies ramping up in health towards the end of the game.

Use Songbird to attack the enemies on the deck, and the gunships. Bring down the Zeppelins yourself, just like you did outside of Fink's factory. Once the Patriots start appearing, use Songbird to destroy them all in one fell swoop. If the enemies are getting too near the core and Songbird is not available, use Undertow to drag them away from it, and deal with them yourself until he is available. You should never run out of Salts, especially if you have the Blood to Salt gear equipped.

Do the counted stats toward trophies/achievements continue after a finished playthrough? For example: kill 30 enemies on sky line, if I got 19 can I continue to get the rest on my second run?

Neverfade

Return to Sender traps attached to the core to absorb bullets

Thanks for the tips guys.

I finished it. HOLY FUCK

Gonna take a bit to wrap my head around this, amazing game, despite some of the enemies having far too much health towards the end of the game.

Off the to spoiler thread I guess

Top Bottom