• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

antitrop

These 2007 discussions warm my heart. One of the best years, for sure. I see 1998 and 2004 getting mentioned, but I think 1994 should also be put in the mix. There was a thread about this a few months back.

'94 was original System Shock! I remember my father and I fishing it out of a bargain bin at CompUSA for like $10 (along with like 15 other games, we had just got a new family computer and he wanted to grab a bunch of games for it) in '96. I couldn't get into it. I do still have the disc of it in my closet.

B33

Banned
I managed to jettison myself for a few hours. Then I came back.

I'm going to remain dubious toward these spoilers until I get to play Infinite.

A game isn't just its ending or "plot twists." It's the journey in between. It's a series of moments. And no dickhead can take that away from me, short of tying me down and forcing me to watch a walkthrough prior to playing it.

If you happen to see any unmarked (malicious) spoilers, personal message a moderator with the link to the post. They can see if it's been edited and take the appropriate steps to fix it, including banning the member.

So, anyway, how about 2007, guys?

The graphics were considerably better, since I was lucky enough to have a compatible Voodoo 2 card for it, but I remember it being so picky about 3D Accelerators and sound cards at the time, it was rather a terrible port.

I was also lucky enough to have hardware that was compatible with the MIDI synthesizer so I didn't have to listen to the normal PC music, which is notoriously worse than the PS1.

So, because I was lucky, it was great. There were certainly plenty of people at the time who were forced to play it in Software mode (even w/ a 3D Accelerator) and without the proper MIDI synthesization. Poor bastards.

It is a shame that SE hasn't released the remastered PC version for Steam.

x-Lundz-x

Have any new impressions come out for Infinite? Is the verdict looking good?

The buzz is strong, we will know from IGN Friday. There is no reason to worry though, I would be more shocked than I have EVER been in my life about a game if a bunch of reviews came back negative.

I would just be floored if this doesn't do 90+ on Metacritic when it's all said and done. I know we hate on that site here, just saying.

Vire

Just want to give 2010 some love:

Mass Effect 2
Red Dead Redemption
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Starcraft 2
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
Super Meat Boy
God of War III

2007 and 2010 were my two favorite years this generation.

'94 was original System Shock! I remember my father and I fishing it out of a bargain bin at CompUSA for like $10 (along with like 15 other games, we had just got a new family computer and he wanted to grab a bunch of games for it) in '96. I couldn't get into it. I do still have the disc of it in my closet.

System Shock certainly was 1994, but I wasn't fortunate enough to get in on that at the time. It probably would have been too much for my young brain to handle anyway...

My dad, on the other hand, decided to get Wing Commander 3. So good!

Check out the battle of the greatest years over here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=504001

DukeBobby

Mass Effect 2
Red Dead Redemption
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Starcraft 2
Super Meat Boy
God of War III

Don't forget Deadly Premonition.

Mass Effect 2
Red Dead Redemption
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Starcraft 2
Super Meat Boy
God of War III

2010 is also amazing. SMB, SMG2, God of War III, RDR and Mass Effect 2 are few of the best games I've ever played.

Vire

2001 was also pretty fucking awesome.

Halo Combat Evolved
Final Fantasy X
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Metal Gear Solid 2
Grand Theft Auto III
Ico

GET ON MY BACK.

Vire

It seems that the best years are every 3:

1998, 2001, 2004, 2007, 2010. All great years (although 2002 was pretty awesome if you had a GameCube). Hopefully 2013 follows that pattern!

Good point...

2013 destined to be great?

Damnit, DP sorry bout that guys.

Derrick01

Banned

Parasite Eve and Grim Fandango FTW

Also: MGS, Ocarina, Xenogears, Mega Man Legends...

I was a junior in HS. Man that was a good fucking year.

And when Square was still Square.

Not bad but 2004 was all time great just for the last 4 months of the year.

September 7- Burnout 3: Takedown
September 7- Silent Hill 4: The Room
September 14- Fable
September 14- Sly 2: Band of Thieves
September 14- The Sims 2
September 21- Star Wars Battlefront
September 22- Rome: Total War
October 11- Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
October 26 - Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
November 2- Killzone
November 2- Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
November 9- Halo 2
November 9- Jak 3
November 15- Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
November 16- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3
November 16- Half-Life 2
November 16- Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
November 17- Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
November 21- Super Mario 64 DS
November 23- World of Warcraft
November 30- Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
December 6- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II The Sith Lords

That's not even including everything that came out before September.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_in_video_gaming

CrazyDude

ALAN WAKE!

Didn't like Alan Wake, the combat felt way to repetitive in the bad way. Most game are repetitive in their nature, but the time it takes bring down enemies with the flashlight was a real chore. The last level was one of the first times I almost quit out of frustration.

Raxus

1998, 2001, 2004, 2007, 2010. All great years (although 2002 was pretty awesome if you had a GameCube). Hopefully 2013 follows that pattern!

Already started out strong. MGR:Revengence and Infinite (assuming it is a classic) will get things rolling. Watchdogs, ACIV and GTAV could seal the deal.

2010 was amazing.

Bayonetta
Deadly Premonition
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Red Dead Redemption
Alan Wake
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Vanquish
God of War 3
Darksiders
Bioshock 2

Dont forget fucking Max Payne XD

And Silent Hill 2, Devil May Cry, Conker's BFD...what a year.

Vire

Already started out strong. MGR:Revengence and Infinite (assuming it is a classic) will get things rolling. Watchdogs, ACIV and GTAV could seal the deal.

Pssst... you forgot a certain Naughty Dog game.

Also, ACIV will suck.

Andrew.

Banned
Didn't like Alan Wake, the combat felt way to repetitive in the bad way. Most game are repetitive in their nature, but the time it takes bring down enemies with the flashlight was a real chore. The last level was one of the first times I almost quit out of frustration.

Loved it (but I had also been waiting years for it. Much like Infinite. And much like Bio, Wake went through some serious hell) Remedy nailed the perfect forest at night atmosphere. Guns sounded great and weighty and its got some of the best use of licensed music.

Repetitve, yes.

Raxus

You forgot about last of us!

See, I am already forgetting GOTY contenders 2013 is going to be amazing.

Also, ACIV will suck.
III sucked but Ubisoft has a nasty habit of tossing everything to the wall and seeing what sticks on occasion. It seems they distilled the best parts of III into IV so I am hoping for a turnaround ala AC1-AC2.

CrazyDude

Also, ACIV will suck.

I am willing to give AC4 a chance, there aren't that many pirate games out there.

Loved it (but I had also been waiting years for it. Much like Infinite. And much like Bio, Wake went through some serious hell) Remedy nailed the perfect forest at night atmosphere. Guns sounded great and weighty and its got some of the best use of licensed music.

Repetitve, yes.
I would probably like the series more if they can figure how to fix combat so that it's not a chore to play through.

Derrick01

Banned

I dunno 2013's off to a pretty shitty start. God of War is the best game I've played and it's very mediocre and kind of disappointing compared to the rest of the console games in the series.

And after Bioshock there's really nothing coming until Last of Us in June, and then nothing that I'm aware of until September. New consoles will get here but launch lineups are almost never great.

Andrew.

Banned

Even with the hate new Croft gets in here, the new Tomb Raider will add to the momentum too. A million in 48 hours right?

And zero replay value.

I dunno 2013's off to a pretty shitty start. God of War is the best game I've played and it's very mediocre and kind of disappointing compared to the rest of the console games in the series.

And after Bioshock there's really nothing coming until Last of Us in June, and then nothing that I'm aware of until September. New consoles will get here but launch lineups are almost never great.

Metro Last Light is coming out in May and then there is the South Park RPG (Obsidian!).

Andrew.

Banned

If you need a good laugh this summer, play Remember Me. I know I will be, but Im into the setting. Love that Blade Runner shit. I know you arent a setting guy though.

Vire

Launch titles are either bonafide all-time classics (Super Mario 64/Super Mario World/Halo CE) or extremely mediocre (Perfect Dark Zero/Resistance)

Who knows what we'll get this time.

You should check out The Room if you have an iOS device. Great game of 2013 regardless of platform. It's like a modern Myst.

Derrick01

Banned
Metro Last Light is coming out in May and then there is the South Park RPG (Obsidian!).

I'm meh on Metro and South Park was delayed indefinitely, or at least Ubisoft hasn't even hinted at a date since they bought the IP. We know it's coming in 2013, that's about it.

If you need a good laugh this summer, play Remember Me. I know I will be, but Im into the setting. Love that Blade Runner shit. I know you arent a setting guy though.

Yeah the gameplay looks like a bad batman clone combined with a bad uncharted clone with the platforming. There's nothing about it that looks fun to play.

edit: I also think 2010 was a horrible year. The only thing that saved it was 2011 and 2012 topping it in horribleness.

Raxus

Launch titles are either bonafide all-time classics (Super Mario 64/Super Mario World/Halo CE) or extremely mediocre (Perfect Dark Zero/Resistance)

Who knows what we'll get this time.

You should check out The Room if you have an iOS device. Great game regardless of platform. It's like a modern Myst.

YOU ARE TEARING ME APART LISA!

As far as launch titles, I am not holding my breath seeing as most of the big names are cross platform which worries me.

Andrew.

Banned
I remember GUN was a 360 launch title and it was the exact same looking game as the OG Box and Cube versions. Nothing different whatsoever in the visual or performance department as far as I could tell. It was pretty sad.

Top Bottom