• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

phierce

So pumped for this game. Hell, even burned a few days of PTO...it better f'n deliver!!

Edit: thanks for the bacon pic...now I'm hungry. Dammit.

Just introduced Bioshock to my fiance. She's new to gaming and still has trouble with the dual sticks for FPS (plays Skyrim 3rd person).

She absolutely loves it (despite not able to play the game well), mostly due to the atmosphere. She skipped quite a bit of material due to not being used to exploration type gameplay, but found much of the beginning moments in Rapture to be terrifying.

I envy guys whose girlfriends are gamers :( My GF hates them
That's not bacon bro. It might come from a pig and even be made from the same process as bacon, but this my friend is bacon:
Yep, what he posted were rashers

I envy guys whose girlfriends are gamers :( My GF hates them

Well, she spent some time at her father's recently to help take care of her brother whose house was destroyed in a vehicle accident, so passing the time ended up focusing on the Xbox. She started with Alice: Madness Returns, moved to Minecraft, and started trying out Skyrim, Bioshock (buying those two, Bioshock a couple of hours after introducing it to her), and FEAR.

She's not a gamer quite yet, but we'll see down the line if she can get used to combat in First-Person titles. The right stick still remains to be a bit of a mystery to her, so she still has plenty of hate for them alongside her worry that the months she's dedicating to the Corps will leave me glued to them.

Well, she spent some time at her father's recently to help take care of her brother whose house was destroyed in a vehicle accident, so passing the time ended up focusing on the Xbox. She started with Alice: Madness Returns, moved to Minecraft, and started trying out Skyrim, Bioshock (buying those two, Bioshock a couple of hours after introducing it to her), and FEAR.

She's not a gamer quite yet, but we'll see down the line if she can get used to combat in First-Person titles. The right stick still remains to be a bit of a mystery to her, so she still has plenty of hate for them alongside her worry that the months she's dedicating to the Corps will leave me glued to them.

Damn, she picked great fucking titles to start off with. Never let her go :p
Also we all struggle with two analog sticks and first person mode the first time round. I couldn't get my head around the fact that one stick moves his body and other moves the camera for a while when I was starting out as a gamer lol.

antitrop

I think The Walking Dead could be a great "spring-board" game for a lot of girlfriends. I already have quite a few female friends who are great fans of the show.

SD to LA drives are nice. I did it for The Stone Roses, Blur, Pulp, and sadly Oasis when I was in high school and a freshman in college.

Making the drive to see Fair to Midland play at the Troubadour last year was the bee's knees; think I'll schedule a return trip for this. Haven't been to a midnight launch since..... Halo 3, I think? And Nico Vega looks like a great live band.

Gonna go start a BioShock replay now; ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN CHOO CHOO.

antitrop

Interestingly enough my wife just wanted to watch me play that instead of playing herself.

I was actually thinking it would be a nice game to play together, with each person trading off after 1 episode (1 a night, or 1 a week) because it's equally as fun to watch. Lots of nice emotional moments and jump scares perfect for cuddling and blankets and the lights off and shit.

I was actually thinking it would be a nice game to play together, with each person trading off after 1 episode (1 a night, or 1 a week) because it's equally as fun to watch. Lots of nice emotional moments and jump scares perfect for cuddling and blankets and the lights off and shit.

You could also make the decisions together, I'm only finished episode 2 of it now but hot damn is it tense

Alright, reinstalling Bioshock 2 and GFWL seems to have fixed my crashing issue.

The drill is still as awesome as I remember it and hacking is soooo much better in Bioshock 2.

I think the reason she didn't want to play is because she played the demo and found it too tense for her to react within the time constraints.

Alright, reinstalling Bioshock 2 and GFWL seems to have fixed my crashing issue.

The drill is still as awesome as I remember it and hacking is soooo much better in Bioshock 2.

Yeah, I didn't play the game until just a few days ago because of Launch GFWL issues.

Hacking is a lot more tense in Bioshock 2 because it is realtime. I loved it.

antitrop

I think the reason she didn't want to play is because she played the demo and found it too tense for her to react within the time constraints.

As the guy above said, the male can handle the controller and the significant other can call out the dialogue choices, still a good way of involving both people in the action and having an experience "together".

Then you could talk about it afterwards and share your feelings.

Now I'm just living out a fake relationship in my head.

As the guy above said, the male can handle the controller and the significant other can call out the dialogue choices, still a good way of involving both people in the action and having an experience "together".

Then you could talk about it afterwards and share your feelings.

Now I'm just living out a fake relationship in my head.

I suppose so, but she seemed content with me "Directing" the experience. She screamed out at me to go back and redo a part, and I refused to because IT HAPPENED, ITS OVER.

I still went back and redid it, same result. You can probably guess which part of Act 3 I was at.

El Odio

Banned

Really? I tried that earlier and still can't get past the first Big sister encounter without it crashing on me.

greenmangaming has a very good offer as well, for $60 you get 3 extra games with bioshock infinite, xcom enemy unknown, bioshock 1 and an extra game of your choosing, i believe they have spec ops the line, civ 5, bioshock 2 and the darkness 2, you can also get either $15 GMG credit or $14 dollars back

Hmm... I like that GMG deal. Seems better than the Amazon offer.
I suppose I have a couple more days to make up my mind.

But Bioshock Infinite, Bioshock, XCOM, Civ 5 (what I would pick since I already own Spec Ops The Line) and $15 sounds like a good deal.

Thanks

EDIT: Putting that $15 credit towards the Season Pass may be a good thing. Practically get the three DLC issues for a couple of bucks. I wonder if they'll be worth getting at all?

I envy you guys with girlfriends that don't play games... I'll be fighting with mine over who gets to play Infinite first!

Fake spoiler
I am a lucky man

B33

Banned
Hmm... I like that GMG deal. Seems better than the Amazon offer.
I suppose I have a couple more days to make up my mind.

But Bioshock Infinite, Bioshock, XCOM, Civ 5 (what I would pick since I already own Spec Ops The Line) and $15 sounds like a good deal.

Thanks

EDIT: Putting that $15 credit towards the Season Pass may be a good thing. Practically get the three DLC issues for a couple of bucks. I wonder if they'll be worth getting at all?

Ken Levine's the creative lead on two of the three parts.

According to him, all three will be original, story-driven installments meant to flesh out the game's lore and world.

No one knows enough to allay concerns about quality, but having Irrational at the helm certainly eases some of the incredulity often associated with DLC content.

You know, there's a Bioshock 2 CE that's been sitting on a shelf at my local Wal Mart since launch. It's still like $30. Sits there surrounded by FFXIII strategy guides and copies of History Channel Civil War on PS2 or something.

Berto

Really? I tried that earlier and still can't get past the first Big sister encounter without it crashing on me.
I had the same traumatizing experience. You need to disable dx10 and play in dx9. This is the most unstable game I played for a long time.

Here's a small version of the LA-only Midnight Opening poster that our devs will be signing if you go to the Universal City walk location. :D :D

1824_10151294757652484_215164822_n.jpg

We have custom posters for each of the 5 locations, and I'll be posting them all live either tomorrow or Friday.

That's crazy.

I may go to Universal now.

Ken Levine's the creative lead on two of the three parts.

According to him, all three will be original, story-driven installments meant to flesh out the game's lore and world.

No one knows enough to allay concerns about quality, but having Irrational at the helm certainly eases some of the incredulity often associated with DLC content.

That sounds really good to me.

OneLetter

I suppose so, but she seemed content with me "Directing" the experience. She screamed out at me to go back and redo a part, and I refused to because IT HAPPENED, ITS OVER.

I still went back and redid it, same result. You can probably guess which part of Act 3 I was at.

I did the same thing with a girlfriend a while back and Heavy Rain. She wasn't very good at controlling, but she wanted to play it, and made a lot of the bigger "moment" decisions, and it allowed for a really fun experience, until we hit a certain section about halfway through, where we both wanted to do something opposite.

It all came down to a 2 out of 3 RPS match.

She won.

VanWinkle

Apologize if this has been asked many times already but there's too much to read in here. Is there an estimated time it will take to beat the campaign?

I did the same thing with a girlfriend a while back and Heavy Rain. She wasn't very good at controlling, but she wanted to play it, and made a lot of the bigger "moment" decisions, and it allowed for a really fun experience, until we hit a certain section about halfway through, where we both wanted to do something opposite.

It all came down to a 2 out of 3 RPS match.

She won.

My wife didn't have much trouble with playing Heavy rain, but it was very interesting to watch the choices she made in contrast to the ones I had.

B33

Banned
Apologize if this has been asked many times already but there's too much to read in here. Is there an estimated time it will take to beat the campaign?

Per Ken Levine (the game's creative lead), Infinite's campaign is roughly tantamount to the average player's run through BioShock.

Top Bottom