• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

spirity

What are you guys playing to bide your time before the release?

Ive got Half Life 2 off and on.

PoE, and I'm vicariously playing SimCity through other peoples lets plays, it does look fun but no way am I buying it. A friend gave me a Dota 2 pass and I'm debating whether or not to try it. Its not usual my cup of tea but who knows.

I've just realized it looks like I'm a cheap bastard, though my backlog would state otherwise.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
So you're telling me to go to the official website? yeah, that seems like a good source for objective information..

It's a list of all the features, which also implies a lot of attention was paid to the PC version. Isn't a lack of features what made Bioshock 1 a "bad port"? I didn't have any trouble with it performance-wise.

I already replayed the original BioShock and Minerva's Den recently, and League of Legends is my usual go-to timewaster when my backlog is low. I'd be laddering in SC2, but I haven't played in over a year and I don't want to go through that awkward string of losses retraining myself and then interrupt my ranking grind with the BioShock Infinite/Dishonored DLC/Monaco release alley.

B33

Banned
I'm a "System Shock enthusiast" and I'll be happy enough with the game if it can basically be an extended version of Minerva's Den in overall quality. Bioshock suffered from comparisons to SS2, but in Infinite's case, it's going to be compared to the other Bioshock games.

Bioshock is well-established at this point as quite divorced from any System Shock, so it would be pointless to expect that from it. Minerva's Den is a more reasonable benchmark, or Bioshock 1/2 if you thought highly enough of them.
We're in concurrence. I was being sardonic with my original entry.

54-46!

This has probably already been asked but.. is 1999 mode unlocked from the beginning or do I have to beat the game first? if so, is there a unlock cheat?

AEREC

This has probably already been asked but.. is 1999 mode unlocked from the beginning or do I have to beat the game first? if so, is there a unlock cheat?

locked from beginning...but there is a code to unlock it, or you can beat the game to unlock it.

54-46!

It's a list of all the features, which also implies a lot of attention was paid to the PC version. Isn't a lack of features what made Bioshock 1 a "bad port"? I didn't have any trouble with it performance-wise.
I guess you're right, I'm just very skeptical these days.. ever since that RAGE port. ugh.

There's an unlock code (which has not yet been revealed). It's also unlocked through completion.
Nice, I will be using that code then.

$h@d0w

Jim Sterling at the beginning of his latest podcast says this about the game:

"Now if you'll excuse me gents: I'm going to play Bioshock Infinite and cum everywhere."

Sounds like a thumbs up.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Jim Sterling at the beginning of his latest podcast says this about the game:

"Now if you'll excuse me gents: I'm going to play Bioshock Infinite and cum everywhere."

10 From DTOID confirmed.

Andrew.

Banned
Ha, Ha, I am expecting it in from Gamefly, so no loss on my end if I hate it. I think it looks great, but I guess I will just have to wait and see.

I wanted to check it out for the lighting effects because they look pretty slick, but I dont feel thats enough to justify even a rental. The Hitmans have always been a hit or miss for me.

NAPK1NS

I have no clue why you would want to do 1999 your first playthrough. I understand wanting to get a little challenge out of it, but that's what hard mode is for. They're practically saying "I wouldn't" by masking it behind a code.

Why not just take in the game the first time through? Enjoy the art, dabble with different weapon upgrades.

Of course, do whatever. I just wouldn't want be my first encounter with the game to result in pulling my hair out.

Sulla1980

I never got my Industrial Revolution pre-order code so I can play the game :(

If its any comfort, I only played it for about 56 seconds. At the time I think I thought that the game was too far off to start getting hyped. But now I just want to wait for the actual game.

OneLetter

Test Drive Unlimited 2 and The Darkness. Going to start Hitman: Absolution tonight.

The original TDU was the first game I 1000/1000 on 360, so it holds a special place in my library.

If I actually had time, I'd be playing Tomb Raider right now, trying to play through with only the bow. Also, my most recent SimCity town is making $3MM+ / month from electronics trade, so I'm feeling pretty good right now.

Are there any laptops out at the moment that will run this well? My old laptop has died on me and i'm getting my annual bonus through work soon, would be good to pick something up that I can enjoy this on, otherwise I'll go the console route. I realise that it'll probably be super expensive though. I'm in the UK, if that makes a difference.

I plan on playing it on my Y580 and it's GTX660M. I wouldn't be too worried the requirements aren't too steep.

Sulla1980

I have no clue why you would want to do 1999 your first playthrough. I understand wanting to get a little challenge out of it, but that's what hard mode is for. They're practically saying "I wouldn't" by masking it behind a code.

Why not just take in the game the first time through? Enjoy the art, dabble with different weapon upgrades.

Of course, do whatever. I just wouldn't want be my first encounter with the game to result in pulling my hair out.

I'm with you on this; I want to enjoy the world that they built before I ramp up the challenge. I intend to do multiple playthroughs anyway.

The machine gun is all you need, especially with upgrades. Even Hard mode is a breeze with that shit, outside one or two heavy encounters

Damn, won that many awards already?

Slowly making my way through The Witcher. Just began Ch. 3, and had only recently gotten a hold of most, if not all, of the mechanics. May start experimenting with the alchemy a bit more often, but I just really want to get it finished and done with before Infinite releases.

Not going to happen

Sadly, a few things that came up prevented me from upgrading my GPU from my GTX 280, so I won't be getting too much performance-wise out of Infinite.

Sblargh

Banned
I bet square-enix's next game will suck. It will bomb so hard, man. They better give me Tomb Raider for free on their next game pre-order or else they'll just have shot themselves in the foot.

NAPK1NS

Been playing mindless twitch shooters i.e. Painkiller, Unreal, and Serious Sam. That way I can be extra blown away by the care and attention to detail in Infinite.

ZeroRay

Been playing the shit out of (by my standards) Metal Gear Rising.

First time I had that feeling playing a console game in more than two years.

Edit: I also do hope Infinite is at least as ballsy as Spec Ops. Come on Ken/Irrational, offend me!

ironcreed

Banned
I'm with you on this; I want to enjoy the world that they built before I ramp up the challenge. I intend to do multiple playthroughs anyway.

Indeed. That is why I always play on normal first. The extra difficulties are there to add extra replay value if I truly end up loving a game and know I'll be playing it again. I am betting Infinite will fit the bill rather nicely in that regard.

Lakitu

st5fu
Is Rising that good? What if you're shitty at action games like me?

I've missed so many damn games...Sleeping Dogs, Tomb Raider, Rising and so much more.

ZeroRay

Is Rising that good? What if you're shitty at action games like me?

It's an awesome game, but it was a revelation for me because it basically checks off everything I want in a game to the point where I can disregard a lot of its flaws.

And to be perfectly honest, I'm not the best at character action games either. :p

Zeliard

Because I just find the specialization style of play to be much more interesting. It's an easy decision for me to go with 1999 mode right away, especially on a first playthrough, because first impressions can color your perception of a game forever. I'd rather think of 1999 mode as basically the default, and only, experience. I did the exact same thing with XCOM and hardcore mode.

Besides, at the end of the day, Infinite is largely a shooter. I can't imagine there will be a point where you've fucked up your character build so hard that a certain sequence will be impossible to get by. You should be able to brute-force your way through such obstacles via mechanical skill and tactical awareness and just Quake some fools.

Top Bottom