• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

I have no clue why you would want to do 1999 your first playthrough. I understand wanting to get a little challenge out of it, but that's what hard mode is for. They're practically saying "I wouldn't" by masking it behind a code.

Why not just take in the game the first time through? Enjoy the art, dabble with different weapon upgrades.

Of course, do whatever. I just wouldn't want be my first encounter with the game to result in pulling my hair out.
I can enjoy all of these things in 1999 mode. Are they suddenly blocked off? Fart can i get some clarification? Plus games don't make me pull my hair out. If I hit a wall I'll take that 15 min break that's advised every hour and come right back to it. I'll be fine man Lmao. You guys will know how I'm doing as I get my hands on it.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Is Rising that good? What if you're shitty at action games like me?

I've missed so many damn games...Sleeping Dogs, Tomb Raider, Rising and so much more.

Have you tried the demo? It's a reasonably good representation of the game's fundamentals.

It's a great action game, but if you're not good at them and that makes you not like them, I don't think it has much else going for it.

NAPK1NS

I can enjoy all of these things in 1999 mode. Are they suddenly blocked off? Fart can i get some clarification? Plus games don't make me pull my hair out. If I hit a wall I'll take that 15 min break that's advised every hour and come right back to it. I'll be fine man Lmao. You guys will know how I'm doing as I get my hands on it.
Yep, you heard it here first. All the artistic fidelity is taken out to improve framerate.

I'm glad people are ballsy enough to try it first go. Getting stuck on a particular firefight can hurt other aspects of a first impression. I have found that I'll lose my pacing "flow" if I'm jammed on one section for an extended period of time.

Again, have a ball. I think I'll stick to normal first run and come back for seconds.

I'm going to downsample and antialias the fuck out of this game and it's going to look amazing.

Just fucking wait until we get some down sampling, inject some AA, and someone figures out how to remove the HUD. The Bullshot thread will be sexual on Tuesday.
Let's just hope people stick to the "good composition" rule and we don't get 38 of the same image posted every page :)

I'm kinda hoping there are no real console commands so I can use my Cheat Engine wizardry for no-clipping and actually get some unique screenshots :)

The art in this game.... looks so eye-wateringly good.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Gamers.at review

Google translate

Verdict
"It is complex, not what I expected, not inappropriately, and somehow even logical and correct ... and so just what Bioshock creator Kevin Levine has indicated time and again so mysterious."

They said score will be added later.

I..think?

Seems like the type of game people aren't really sure what to make of when you finish it. Ken has said time and again it's nothing like we've ever seen or experienced in a game before, and I am quite intrigued to see what happens. Sure I read spoilers but I'm starting to think they were fake.

I can see a lot of people who review it and have strong faith and religious beliefs not liking some parts of it. But I imagine the game is gonna be a talking point for quite a while. oooooh I want it I waaant it!!!

BobTheSpy

Banned
Honestly, I loved the original Bioshock and have tons of nostalgia around it, and I've never played the system shock games. I guess I'm a super young'n then, but if infinite is anything like the first Bioshock, then it's going to be fucking rad.

Sblargh

Banned
Man, what the fuck is up with spec ops? What fuck? Man, what the fuck? Oh shit. Oh man. Oh shit. What the fuck, dudes? I was ready! I kept hearing about how this game had a harsh story, how it messed with feels. I was ready. But I wasn't. What the hell, dudes? Oh man.

Andrew.

Banned
Man, what the fuck is up with spec ops? What fuck? Man, what the fuck? Oh shit. Oh man. Oh shit. What the fuck, dudes? I was ready! I kept hearing about how this game had a harsh story, how it messed with feels. I was ready. But I wasn't. What the hell, dudes? Oh man.

"Game over man! Game over!"

Wow...lmao.

Paging Antitrop...

I wish I could say the same about that game. It never really got it's hooks into me.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Is Rising that good? What if you're shitty at action games like me?

I've missed so many damn games...Sleeping Dogs, Tomb Raider, Rising and so much more.

Yep, it's THAT good.

I was blown away by Spec Ops. Got it on a recommendation from my roommate at the time, and loved it.

ironcreed

Banned
I wish I could say the same about that game. It never really got it's hooks into me.

Me neither. The only time it even came close is after
I dropped white phosphorus on all of those people, but I kind of saw it coming while I was doing it.
Beyond that, it was a just decent third person shooter that was fun for a play through.

BearPawB

Banned
I'm not good at character action games...I didn't like bayonetta. But I loved both DMC and rising...maybe I'm changing

Super pumped for bioshock. I love that the story is impacting people

Same for me, I have it in my Steam library and tried to play it but didn't get far. The shooting just felt so damn shallow to me. Mind you I only got about 40 minutes in...may have to try again to waste some time till this hits on Tuesday.

Derrick01

Banned

This needs to be the back of the box quote for the game :lol

NAPK1NS

I never got to mention, this is a banger OT. Literally the only thing off is...

"We’d recommend being familiar with BioShock, although playing through it is ancillary"

What in the what does that mean? I don't need to play BioShock, but I need to?

Lunar15

Look, I don't want to be the debbie downer here, but I'm not sure I trust early reviews and their reverence of a game's story. Based on everything we've heard and seen, I personally think we're in for a treat with Infinite's story, but at the same time I'm remembering how enamored the press was with GTAIV's "Oscar-Worthy" story and gushed about it for weeks before everyone realized it wasn't THAT great. It's the same press who does that and then doesn't really see the story behind Spec Ops that I really worry about. Sometimes they get wrapped up in the spectacle and illusion of a deep story, and forget to look to see if there's a real story in there.

This is at least a small part of the reason the bar is so low for video game stories. If you even MENTION real-world events, you're called "deep", when the game itself may not actually explore those issues in a meaningful way.

ironcreed

Banned
This is where the game completely broke for me. I had no choice and it pissed me off.

Dat shock value. Like I said, I saw something of that nature being foreshadowed, so I was not really surprised by it. Still was a pretty powerful moment, but on the whole, it was just an average third person shooter that really did not do much for me. I had some fun for a play through, though.

Look, I don't want to be the debbie downer here, but I'm not sure I trust early reviews and their reverence of a game's story. Based on everything we've heard and seen, I personally think we're in for a treat with Infinite's story, but at the same time I'm remembering how enamored the press was with GTAIV's "Oscar-Worthy" and gushed about it for weeks before everyone realized it wasn't THAT great. It's the same press who does that, and then doesn't really see the story behind Spec Ops, that I really worry about. Sometimes they get wrapped up in the spectacle and illusion of a deep story, and forget to look to see if there's a real story in there.

But...It's Ken Levine. Of course it's going to be great.

Any ideas of how this game will run on a lower (or maybe mid) end PC?

Not like I don't have time to upgrade if it won't run well though. I plan on waiting for a 50% sale.

Guess Who

Banned
I never got to mention, this is a banger OT. Literally the only thing off is...

"We’d recommend being familiar with BioShock, although playing through it is ancillary"

What in the what does that mean? I don't need to play BioShock, but I need to?

"We think you ought to play BioShock, but you don't have to in order to understand Infinite."

Dat shock value. Like I said, I saw something of that nature being foreshadowed, so I was not really surprised by it. Still was a pretty powerful moment, but on the whole, it was just an average third person shooter that really did not do much for me. I had some fun for a play through, though.

I can definitely appreciate what that game was trying to do...and that is the most positive thing I can say about it.

Did IGNs review come out? This thread is officially confusing me with what people are talking about.

Nah, it hasn't been posted yet.

Man this thread is like taking a peek at that christmas present that's just sitting there, and resisting so hard not to rip the whole damn thing open! I've been on such a media block for this game aside from that first trailer a few months back and it's so hard, but it's almost Tuesday. I can do this! I can do this! Man the Songbird edition I have paid off is going to be nice... but I swear if one of those wings breaks off... lol

Andrew.

Banned
Man this thread is like taking a peek at that christmas present that's just sitting there, and resisting so hard not to rip the whole damn thing open! I've been on such a media block for this game aside from that first trailer a few months back and it's so hard, but it's almost Tuesday. I can do this! I can do this! Man the Songbird edition I have paid off is going to be nice... but I swear if one of those wings breaks off... lol

Yo take a picture of the box all of that comes in. I want to see how big it is. It'll probably give that Skyrim CE a run for its money and that box was fucking massive.

antitrop

THoOu65.jpg

specops_story4.jpg

Yo take a picture of the box all of that comes in. I want to see how big it is. It'll probably give that Skyrim CE a run for its money and that box was fucking massive.

I'm sure it will have an unboxing video from someone soon enough, but I'll be sure to do one in my style.

My previous 2 ridiculous unboxings were the Neogeo X Gold and God of War Ascension. Let's just say they are not the typical unboxing. LOL.

FACE

Banned

Spec Ops spoilers:
So I take it you've reached the white phosphorus part.

Top Bottom