• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Do people actually care about review scores for games like these? I am struggling to remember a super hyped up game that got anything less than a 9.

Was there an exclusive review that was less than a 9

like, wouldn't it be some shit if they just totally tore it to pieces. A big ass thesis paper about all the narrative flaws and broken combat system and shit. "7.0, big disapointment"

Lunar15

Was there an exclusive review that was less than a 9

like, wouldn't it be some shit if they just totally tore it to pieces. A big ass thesis paper about all the narrative flaws and broken combat system and shit. "7.0, big disapointment"

I asked this as well. I'm genuinely curious if there were any exclusive, early reviews that were below a 9.

I'm just interested in the forum meltdowns these days when it comes to reviews.

Yeah but there shouldn't even be forum metldowns over say... an 8/10.

I feel like the 7/10 scale becomes a 9/10 scale when we are talking about an overhyped game.

I asked this as well. I'm genuinely curious if there were any exclusive, early reviews that were below a 9.

So three of us asked this and never got an answer? I must do research for myself then.

antitrop

I think this is what makes this sort of thing so shady. Why would a publisher agree to an early exclusive review unless it was going to be positively glowing?

Shawn himself posted a link to one of the old GFW podcasts a short bit ago where they discuss 2K (once again) and the exclusive review of Prey in 2006. 2K specifically asked what the "range of scores they could expect" would be before the reviewer had even finished the game.

DSmalls84

I predict meltdowns if this game gets a 10 or less than a 9. If either of those happen there will be accusations of moneyhats or ign incompetence. Can't wait to see the score lol. Regardless Tuesday can't come fast enough.

Shawn himself posted a link to one of the old GFW podcasts a short bit ago where they discuss 2K (once again) and the exclusive review of Prey in 2006. 2K specifically asked what the "range of scores they could expect" would be before the reviewer had even finished the game.

IIRC Prey received early scores in the 8-9 range.

Game didn't deserve that high of a score imo. Does anyone even remember that game?

I predict meltdowns if this game gets a 10 or less than a 9. If either of those happen their will be accusations of moneyhats or ign incompetence. Can't wait to see the score lol. Regardless Tuesday can't come fast enough.

Really though, I can't honestly think of a game this hyped ever getting below a 9/10. I think the accusations of moneyhats is pretty much true.

Yeah but there shouldn't even be forum metldowns over say... an 8/10.

I feel like the 7/10 scale becomes a 9/10 scale when we are talking about an overhyped game.

True.

But at some point in this generation, I started to just revel at the idiocy of this mentality, rather than constantly facepalming it.

True.

But at some point in this generation, I started to just revel at the idiocy of this mentality, rather than constantly facepalm it.

I solve all review score problems by waiting for all games to go on sale for 15 dollars or less on Steam. By the time Bioshock Infinite is 15 dollars on Steam the hype train will have been long gone.

antitrop

IIRC Prey received early scores in the 8-9 range.

Game didn't deserve that high of a score imo. Does anyone even remember that game?

At the time it was like the first big FPS to come out after Perfect Dark Zero and CoD2 at launch. It was like a perfect 7/10 game, didn't do anything terribly wrong, brought a few new ideas to the table, but wasn't really all that fun to play.

And similar to Bioshock, the first ~1 hour overshadows everything after it in quality.

At the time it was like the first big FPS to come out after Perfect Dark Zero and CoD2 at launch. It was like a perfect 7/10 game, didn't do anything terribly wrong, brought a few new ideas to the table, but wasn't really all that fun to play.

And similar to Bioshock, the first ~1 hour overshadows everything after it in quality.

I remember Prey having some very fun multiplayer.

feel

Is the game really over 30Gb on PC, and is there any specific reason why? Sorry if this has been discussed too much, I'm trying to avoid reading too much of the thread to go in as fresh as possible.

antitrop

Mr. Levine said he hoped that his audience would see brilliance in the new version. In an age of inexpensive smartphone games, he noted, “it’s getting harder to ask someone to spend $60 on something that’s merely a good effort.” It has to be “different and really special,” he added.

Yes, Mr. Levine. Deliver us from the yearly $60 expansion packs of Call of Duty. Take us to the promised land.

Lunar15

Exclusive or not, I just know that reviews are going to be full of hubris that I can't take seriously until everyone else has it in their hands for a week or so. It's that kind of game. There's going to be wordy, overly "artistic" reviews that try to be part of the "launch experience" more than actually critique it.

Don't get me wrong, this happened to some of my favorite games. I'm just saying, reviews, particularly early reviews, are shit, even if there's no shady PR-mouthpiece business going on. Writers just get caught up in the "event", and then act all lofty about it.

There is also an issue where, if a game tries to tackle difficult issues at all, writers will jump on the chance to promote "games as art", even if the game itself is not doing a great job at it. It's not that they're wrong for trying to do that, but it can cloud judgement and give them some kind of "higher purpose" that ultimately does nothing for the average reader of the review.

Exclusive or not, I just know that reviews are going to be full of hubris that I can't take seriously until everyone else has it in their hands for a week or so.

A week? You're kidding me right? I'd say more like a month. People will still be hyped while playing the game unless it is truly atrocious.

Imagine being starving in a desert. If you find some average tasting food it will taste like a 5 star meal as you eat it. You need to wait until after you are out of the desert and have had a couple more meals before you can truly look back at that desert meal objectively.

ironcreed

Banned
Yes, Mr. Levine. Deliver us from the yearly $60 expansion packs of Call of Duty. Take us to the promised land.

Man, I hope this game delivers like a megaton. As I said the other day, we so need a game like that right about now. Something that folks will still be playing and talking about years down the line. Something as timeless as Half-Life 2. But I'll still be content with just a great game.

Lunar15

A week? You're kidding me right? I'd say more like a month. People will still be hyped while playing the game unless it is truly atrocious.

Imagine being starving in a desert. If you find some average tasting food it will taste like a 5 star meal as you eat it. You need to wait until after you are out of the desert and have had a couple more meals before you can truly look back at that desert meal objectively.

I just meant it would be a week or so to start seeing dissonance from hubris filled reviews and average gamer impressions IF the game wasn't nearly as good as they were saying. Of course there's going to be tons of gushing reports on GAF early on, but you're also going to start to see issues rise to the surface if they exist.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Ok... but I actually got an email my copy's out the door :

'Your 2game.com order has now been dispatched with Royal Mail First Class post'

Third order with them, no issues so far

I'm just in denial that people are going to be getting it before me... that said, hopefully getting mine tomorrow.

I just meant it would be a week or so to start seeing dissonance from hubris filled reviews and average gamer impressions IF the game wasn't nearly as good as they were saying. Of course there's going to be tons of gushing reports on GAF early on, but you're also going to start to see issues rise to the surface if they exist.

I really don't think the game is going to be bad. I think it will be above average, though I also think the first Bioshock was above average which some people will disagree with.

Actually come to think of it, didn't the first Bioshock get 9/10 or something? I feel that was a bit too high.

And gah, should I make a thread asking if any exclusive got below a 8/10 (or 9/10?) It is something I am legitimately curious about now.

Ricker

I just bought Infinite from Steam and I am installing XCOM now but I guess I messed up or something because I can't gift Bioshock 1 it seems? I had to click something seperatly...?

B33

Banned
You guys don't need to stay up to see IGN's take on BioShock Infinite. I can spoil the review for you right now.

Infinite is Oscar worthy. Like Elizabeth, Levine has transcended through a tear beyond our time and has found something indelible. I loved it. I cried twice. I know multiplayer wouldn't have worked and would have been ancillary, but I still wish it was present.

Final score: 7.9/10

Top Bottom