• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

antitrop

Can someone fill me in on what vsync is exactly?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_tearing

Tearing occurs when the video feed to the device isn't in sync with the display's refresh. This can be due to non-matching refresh rates.

Vertical synchronization is an option in most systems, wherein the video card is prevented from doing anything visible to the display memory until after the monitor finishes its current refresh cycle.

During the vertical blanking interval, the driver orders the video card to either rapidly copy the off-screen graphics area into the active display area (double buffering), or treat both memory areas as displayable, and simply switch back and forth between them (page flipping).

When vertical synchronization is used, the frame rate of the rendering engine exactly equals the monitor's refresh rate, if it is higher. Though this feature normally improves video quality, it involves trade-offs in some cases.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Glad I didn't check the thread that day. I have been wondering what the story in this game is going to be for weeks now, and don't want the ending spoiled days before. Hopefully whatever was said is false and those who were affected still enjoy the game.

Oh, he wasn't dropping spoilers or anything. People were asking some basic questions about framerate and weapon upgrades and stuff like that and he answered a couple of them.

I recall enjoying season 9. Some would even go as far as season 13.

The real turning point for the series in my opinion was when Homer stopped being the everyman and became a wacky caricature. I distinctly remember my disappointment when Season 10 started airing--the lard for money episode, the homer as inventor episode--they felt fundamentally different from what the previous seasons were about.

He's embiggened this thread with such cromulent usage.

45AsJJn.jpg

antitrop

Any word on when Steam users can preload? How big the game again, like 30 gigs lol

Probably closer to 20, but still a huge bitch.

I was wondering about it but was too afraid to go back a few pages and possibly run into the spoilers.

Fear not, mods are dealing with the offenses swiftly and justly. The offending post was edited within 20 minutes and they've (Cyan! :)) been keeping a closer eye on this thread since.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm getting real antsy to have this game in hand. Tuesday's too far away.

Yeah, I'm realizing that hubris isn't the right word. Hyperbole makes a little more sense. Although I think they do take pride that these are "early" reviews and they're "delivering" this review to the masses who don't have this "masterpiece" yet.

Unless you're just insinuating something mean spirited towards IGN, which I totally understand. XD

A good way of putting it would be that these big reviews, and the surrounding coverage, are often highly sensationalized.

Toparaman

Banned
I hope the gameplay is much improved over the first BioShock. Not only are the constantly spawning enemies an annoyance, but the progression of gameplay often boils down to "Go here to do this. Oh wait, before you can do that you have to go here and do this. Oh wait, you can't do that until you do this." It's a real shame, because the early hours are so captivating, but then the game settles into tedium.

Sorry, don't mean to be a buzz killer. I'm sure Levine and co. have paid attention to the criticisms of the first Bioshock.

Daft_Cat

You'll probably be able to preload on Friday. Main game is 20 GB with a 10 GB high res texture pack.

Is that high-res pack coming to 360 or PS3? Or is this a Sleepy Dog type scenario?

I can presumably play this on my boot-camped retina macbook on high, but I primarily use that for work. I try to avoid gaming on it if I can.

I hope the gameplay is much improved over the first BioShock. Not only are the constantly spawning enemies an annoyance, but the progression of gameplay often boils down to "Go here to do this. Oh wait, before you can do that you have to go here and do this. Oh wait, you can't do that until you do this." It's a real shame, because the early hours are so captivating, but then the game settles into tedium.

Sorry, don't mean to be a buzz killer. I'm sure Levine and co. have paid attention to the criticisms of the first Bioshock.

Not to be dismissive, but pretty much single player FPS is like that if you want to be reductive. And in my opinion, the enemies that spawn in previously visited locations add a better sense of place than having vacant levels after you've cleared them out.

There's no arguing that BioShock had flaws, but I wouldn't count the ones you listed as among them.

DSmalls84

Is that high-res pack coming to 360 or PS3? Or is this a Sleepy Dog type scenario?

I can presumably play this on my boot-camped retina macbook on high, but I primarily use that for work. I try to avoid gaming on it if I can.

I'm guessing pc only. You don't usually hear about high-res packs coming out for consoles (Skyrim,Sleeping Dogs, Etc.)

It'd also be less tedious if one power wasn't clearly superior over all the others. In Bioshock you basically could win most of the game with some Wrench tonics and Electro Blast.

IIRC Bioshock 2 either 3 plasmids that trivialized the game. The dummy, fire, and ice.

A good balance of powers would keep the game fresh.

Sleepy Dog type scenario.

What graphics card is on your macbook, cause the default one probably won't run it as well as 360 and PS3 version.

Muffdraul

I can tell from the recent videos is that combat is definitely way, way, waaaay more robust than Bioshock 1.

The way you describe the progression through the first Bioshock sounds pretty typical of most adventure games to me.

Daft_Cat

Sleepy Dog type scenario.

What graphics card is on your macbook, cause the default one probably won't run it as well as 360 and PS3 version.

Geforce GT 650M.

It runs Simcity and Sleeping Dogs (with high-res textures) on high. Forget what I had the screen resolution set to.

Edit:

I've also got 16GB of DDR3 ram, and an i7 2.6 ghz processor.

antitrop

I think COD BLOPS II did it

You could install an optional Texture Pack if I remember correctly
Did Blops 2 do it on consoles? I know Medal of Honor: Warfighter did day 1 for consoles, I think it came on a second disc. I played on PC (unfortunate to play it at all), so I'm not really sure.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It'd also be less tedious if one power wasn't clearly superior over all the others. In Bioshock you basically could win most of the game with some Wrench tonics and Electro Blast.

IIRC Bioshock 2 either 3 plasmids that trivialized the game. The dummy, fire, and ice.

A good balance of powers would keep the game fresh.

This is pretty vital to it playing well for me. The one two punch in bioshock 1 was absurdly good. I also personally wanted to see more instances of using fire to melt ice or telekinesis to get past obstacles.

antitrop

This is pretty vital to it playing well for me. The one two punch in bioshock 1 was absurdly good. I also personally wanted to see more instances of using fire to melt ice or telekinesis to get past obstacles.

Ya, I always thought that part at the beginning where you get to electrocute the splicer standing in the water was extremely gimmicky.

It gave you the impression that the combat was going to be very deep, with lots of neat environmental choices like that. That really wasn't the case.

Top Bottom